Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as my chase reward points keep transferring to agr, I am okay with a change.

If they stop that, all my processes of accumulating points will be messed up.

Aside from the fact that your slur against AGR reps is both unnecessary and tedious, I am fairly confident that she is correct. Her comments were based on internal email that had been forwarded to customer service reps. I think I will stick with the reps on this one, RyanS.
You must be new here, there is a constant litany of stories from others and my own personal experience with AGR reps either enforcing nonexistent rules or not permitting bookings that are explicitly permitted under the rules. Sure there are some good agents (I've spoken with them as well), but given that a not insignificant number of them can't perform their actual job responsibilities properly, I'm not going to rush to trust them on matters outside of their core responsibility.

In the event that there was any truth to the rumor about a parting of ways between Chase and AGR, do you think notice would be given prior to discontinuance of points transfers? In other words, would it be prudent to transfer points now?

I have no idea if any changes are expected in this area. I did transfer some just to be safe...as it is there are not that many programs that offer a decent conversion if they offer any conversion at all. I would fully expect that Chase will continue to service existing cards for the foreseeable future so maybe conversion is not urgent. I am neither attached to Chase or to MasterCard, my main interest is knowing what financial institution ends up with AGR and what enrollment bonus there might be,

Big institutions like Chase and Amex are always adjusting their credit card portfolios.

Remember that when Chase is negotiating with KoreanAir they did cut off transfer from UR until the agreement is set. So now The card is gone, transferability could be next.

personally I would like AGR end up with Citi as it is my primary bank

Remember that when Chase is negotiating with KoreanAir they did cut off transfer from UR until the agreement is set. So now The card is gone, transferability could be next.

I trust you're aware that Citibank has been busy shuttering their branches in numerous US cities and closing or selling off whole divisions in major international markets. These were operations that represented the most persuasive sales pitch for domestic accounts that leveraged Citigroup's global reach. Unfortunately the goal of simple international banking at the consumer level has been perpetually hammered by ever stricture regulations making a global reach less and less relevant. Meanwhile Citibank loyalty offerings have struggled to remain relevant compared to top tier convertible currencies such as CSP and SPG. As a result I'm having a hard time seeing value in their rapidly shrinking portfolio of consumer banking services.

Last edited by a moderator:

That will most certainly be the end of my using the AGR card then. I have foresworn Citi about 30 years back, and I am not about to change that just for an AGR card ;) AT&T Universal already foisted Citi on me once. :(

JATX: Was it a MC or VISA and did it have a Chip instead of a Strip?
Just a strip no chip that I can see.
Most US banks are still hesitant to switch over fully to chips. They claim they are doing it, but I have yet to see or hear of one actually switching their systems over. Part of the issue is that most small shops don't support chips, and so the banks would have to issue chip & strip cards, and then a few years later chip-only cards. Even banks aimed at intn'l travelers (ie USAA) are hesitant to switch. My bank, USAA will only give you a Chip card if you prove that your are leaving for a country that (for the most part) only accepts chips.

peter

If AGR leaves Chase ( never any problems, I have 2 of their Cards))or vice versa, I won't take the new card especially if its Amex,Citibank ( as jis and chis said) or Capital One!

Also, as a retired person, I'm not able or willing to pay annual fees,high interest rates etc.

My primary banking is done with a Credit Union and I'm very happy with their services. I also have a VISA card issued through them with No Annual Fee and Low Interest ( which I don't pay) which I will begin using regularly if the AGR Card goes away!

Hopefully AGR and Chase will continue to be partners, otherwise 'll miss the AGR Points I rack up on the AGR MC for sure!

I wouldn't mind a switch to American Express...I've had good luck with them as well. Maybe something like what they do for HHonors: one free card with normal earning values and one card with an annual fee that gives you mid-tier status and higher point earnings per dollar. Depending on what tier it would be and the annual fee, I'd be tempted by the annual fee card (an equivalent to HHonors might be S+, perhaps with out the United Club access, and double points on the AGR card for a $75 annual fee.)

JATX: Was it a MC or VISA and did it have a Chip instead of a Strip?
Just a strip no chip that I can see.
Most US banks are still hesitant to switch over fully to chips. They claim they are doing it, but I have yet to see or hear of one actually switching their systems over. Part of the issue is that most small shops don't support chips, and so the banks would have to issue chip & strip cards, and then a few years later chip-only cards. Even banks aimed at intn'l travelers (ie USAA) are hesitant to switch. My bank, USAA will only give you a Chip card if you prove that your are leaving for a country that (for the most part) only accepts chips.
USAA was a pioneer back in the day but now seem to have lost their way. That being said "most" banks have changed their tune after being caught with their pants down during major fraud heists hitting national retailers such as Target and Home Depot. It is in everyone's best interest to ban the swipe and move exclusively to the chip. The payment processing networks may disagree but they've been manipulating and inflating our transaction fees for years and I will shed no tears for an end to their self serving laissez faire nonsense.

I wouldn't mind a switch to American Express...I've had good luck with them as well. Maybe something like what they do for HHonors: one free card with normal earning values and one card with an annual fee that gives you mid-tier status and higher point earnings per dollar. Depending on what tier it would be and the annual fee, I'd be tempted by the annual fee card (an equivalent to HHonors might be S+, perhaps with out the United Club access, and double points on the AGR card for a $75 annual fee.)
Yeah. I would not mind Amex. So far, for me at least, they, by far, provide the best service. Of course, others experiences may be different.
Yeah, it would be hilarious if you could get United Club access through a $75 per year S+ credit card, where United charges $375 for their own United Club access enabled credit card! There is zero likelihood that United would go for that. And administering a different variety of S+ would add such complexities that Amtrak would not go for that either. So best that can happen theoretically I think is S status for a card with a fee, if the HH model were to be followed.

So best that can happen theoretically I think is S status for a card with a fee, if the HH model were to be followed.
Basically a two tier model like the following:

-category bonus with no status for no fee

-category bonus with S status for a fee (somewhere between $75 - $125 may be)

And also AMEX can add status for their own product line:

- Include S+ status for AMEX platnium

- Include SE status for Centurion

Yeah, it would be hilarious if you could get United Club access through a $75 per year S+ credit card, where United charges $375 for their own United Club access enabled credit card! There is zero likelihood that United would go for that. And administering a different variety of S+ would add such complexities that Amtrak would not go for that either. So best that can happen theoretically I think is S status for a card with a fee, if the HH model were to be followed.
Having little use for United Club access (but potentially lots of use for Club Acela access, I wouldn't mind the United Club access being only given to SE members and the card giving you S+ status and access to the Club Acela. :D

The other problem that Amtrak will face in new York and Washington DC is that those two Clubs are not big enough to accommodate the additional clientele that a $75 access pass to Club Acela will generate. They are already a zoo in the afternoon. They will just become way worse. It might actually become worthwhile just to access the early boarding in Washington DC. Not so much in new York since the whole early boarding thing is a bit of a grey area in New York, absent a Red Cap engagement.

Agreed, Ryan. I'm actually curious as to how long the United Club access will be allowed with any AGR status...so long as both Club Acela and Metropolitan Lounges are included with S+.

(Granted, I don't have much use for either, but I don't think S is worth $75-$125/year...it'd be a bit like getting Silver status instead of Gold status with the AmEx Hilton card.)

EDIT: Saw the new post...while I personally probably wouldn't pay beyond $100 for S+, being in the Midwest, I could see them still doing well with a higher-end product.)

Lucky me, as I have AMEX Costco card AND Chase AGR card. Like some other poster has mentioned, I have swore off Citi after some disastrous customer service experience, so not excited about their tie-up with Costco. And I agree, please AMEX, step up to the plate and partner with AGR!

I would be happy to see Amex partner with AGR, or really, anyone if it meant the opportunity to gather a new signup bonus and hopefully revamp the rewards a bit. The only real negative is getting another inquiry on my credit report for the time being, but I'm a little more geeky than most in that regard I think :p

Several years ago when US Airways moved their card from Bank of America to Barclays, the transition was seamless. There was nothing for the cardholder to do other than login to a new website and start using the Barclays card. Even refunds that went to the old BoA account after the transition were properly credited to the Barclays account.

So far, AGR has not said anything official about this. Even the website still shows the Chase card, although the associated links go to the shopping portal. Perhaps they don't want to say anything until they have a new bank signed up.

USAA was a pioneer back in the day but now seem to have lost their way. That being said "most" banks have changed their tune after being caught with their pants down during major fraud heists hitting national retailers such as Target and Home Depot. It is in everyone's best interest to ban the swipe and move exclusively to the chip. The payment processing networks may disagree but they've been manipulating and inflating our transaction fees for years and I will shed no tears for an end to their self serving laissez faire nonsense.
When I asked USAA about the chip card last fall, they said "no problem" if I wanted it right away and that all members would be changed over when cards expire. I mentioned nothing about going to another country.

HOWEVER, the chip cards at present are plain black and do NOT have the photo/signature imbedded in them. Thus I would trade off the security of an imbedded picture/signature for the security of the chip. I chose to keep my present card as instead of singing my card, I write in the signature box "SEE FRONT OF CARD FOR SIGNATURE AND PICTURE". Attempting to modify either would effectively destroy the card.

Now if only banks would use their collective head and provide a customer-selectable pin instead of 3 digit code and NOT have that number on the card itself as is presently done with the 3-digit code. It is amazing how stupid banks can be.

I chose to keep my present card as instead of singing my card, I write in the signature box "SEE FRONT OF CARD FOR SIGNATURE AND PICTURE". Attempting to modify either would effectively destroy the card.
Now if only banks would use their collective head and provide a customer-selectable pin instead of 3 digit code and NOT have that number on the card itself as is presently done with the 3-digit code. It is amazing how stupid banks can be.
Found this on the web --

'See ID' against Visa, MasterCard rules

Chris Monteiro, spokesman for MasterCard, says, "Technically, a MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder. If a person has not signed his card, the merchant technically should not complete the transaction." The merchant can only complete the transaction on an unsigned card if the cardholder signs the card in front of the employee and then produces valid identification proving their identity, Monteiro says. The cardholder then has nothing to gain by refusing to write anything but his signature on the signature panel.

Visa's policy is nearly identical to MasterCard's. Visa covers this topic in its "Rules for Merchants" handbook. There is a section entitled "See ID," which says: "See ID or Check for ID is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer must sign the card, in your presence." And if the customer refuses? "A refusal to sign means the card is still invalid and cannot be accepted." The handbook then reminds merchants that if they ignore this mandate and accept an unsigned card anyway, they risk financial liability should the cardholder later dispute the charge.

Read more: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sign-or-write-see-ID-1282.php#ixzz3TwhlRUql

Back