amtrak maple leaf question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
Ok with a strike looming on via rail Canada what will happen to the maple leaf. will amtrak cancel the train at Niagara falls Canada and have a engine on both ends to return it. or will they have a amtrak engineer operate the train all the way to Toronto. amtrak says nothing about the via rail engineers going on strike on the 24th and are still letting people book after the 24th. or will amtrak strand passengers at Niagara falls Canada with no way to get back to the states untill the strike is over. this is from vias website.

Updates - Work stoppage
VIA Rail Canada has announced that its representatives are currently negotiating with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference union, which represents some 340 locomotive engineers. Earlier today, the union gave notice to the Corporation of its intent to go on strike on Friday, July 24, 2009 at noon Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

A mediator has been appointed by the government to assist the parties in the negotiation process.

VIA remains hopeful that an agreement will be reached before the set deadline. Unfortunately though, VIA has no choice but to begin to cancel certain departures of long-distance trains to ensure that passengers will not be stranded en-route in the event of a strike.

In general, VIA will ensure that passengers departing prior to noon (EDT) this Friday are transported to destination, either by train or by alternate means.

After noon EDT this Friday, all VIA trains will be cancelled, until a settlement is reached. No alternate transportation will be provided. Trains on the Sudbury-White River and Victoria-Courtenay routes will remain in service, as they are operated by third parties on VIA’s behalf.

Information, including specific affected trains and any exceptions, will be updated regularly. Customers may also contact VIA at 888 VIA-RAIL (842-7245) or 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired).

VIA sincerely regrets any inconvenience that this situation may cause its customers.

For more information:

How do I obtain a refund/exchange for my purchased train ticket?

For information regarding Amtrak trains connecting to or from Canada, please contact Amtrak directly at 1-800-USA-RAIL, or visit amtrak.com.

Amtrak and VIA do not operate together, they don't even really synch schedules. I doubt this will affect Amtrak service--

Amtrak and VIA do not operate together, they don't even really synch schedules. I doubt this will affect Amtrak service--
via rail operates the maple leaf from Niagara falls Canada to Toronto. so if the via rail engineers go on strike. who's going to operate the locomotive. the amtrak engineer and conductors get off at Niagara falls Canada and the via rail staff take over. so will amtrak operate the train all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, I think the Maple Leaf is run by VIA engineers once it reaches Canada. No Amtrak engineers are trained for this route, so unless they get some kind of agreement with CN (or CP, which everone it is) the Maple Leaf is grounded in Niagara Falls, NY.

cpamtfan-Peter

Actually, I think the Maple Leaf is run by VIA engineers once it reaches Canada. No Amtrak engineers are trained for this route, so unless they get some kind of agreement with CN (or CP, which everone it is) the Maple Leaf is grounded in Niagara Falls, NY.

cpamtfan-Peter
It wouldn't be hard top find replacement engineers. My gut tells me that the VIA engineers on that route will not have the option to go on strike via (no pun intended) contract agreements with Amtrak.

Well what about our own moderator, Alan B. He and his mother are supposed to be on the Canadian about now. Anybody know the exact dates?
Not for a few more days. I have been in touch with him and he is waiting to hear what's going to happen. Perhaps he'll see this thread and give us an update.

Well what about our own moderator, Alan B. He and his mother are supposed to be on the Canadian about now. Anybody know the exact dates?
Not for a few more days. I have been in touch with him and he is waiting to hear what's going to happen. Perhaps he'll see this thread and give us an update.
Perhaps he will when the Canadian stops mid-route and the engineers get off and pick up picket signs.

cpamtfan-Peter
It wouldn't be hard top find replacement engineers. My gut tells me that the VIA engineers on that route will not have the option to go on strike via (no pun intended) contract agreements with Amtrak.
My guess is that Amtrak will stop the train in Niagara Falls, NY, and it will return the next day to NYC. Amtrak engineers aren't qualified to operate the train on the Via trackage and even if they were, they wouldn't cross the Via engineers' picket line.

Would passengers ticketed to go to Toronto be "bustituted" from Niagara Falls instead?

If the union says strike they'll strike. Now, you may see supervisors possibly running locomotives but it won't be line personnel contractual obligations to Amtrak notwithstanding. In that scenario VIA would pay monetary damages to Amtrak for whatever alternative transportation would have to be operated due to the breach of contract.

Sure they do! Amtrak’s Maple Leaf #63 becomes VIA #98 at the border. The Amtrak equipment runs through to Toronto. It is entirely a VIA operated train in Canada with VIA engineers and Service Manager (VIA does not have conductors) Also at the border the US food and liquor is removed and replaced with Canadian items. A passenger from say St Catharines to Oakville would purchase a VIA ticket from a VIA Agent……they just happen to ride in Amtrak equipment.

Here's the latest from Amtrak:

VIA RAIL CANADA ENGINEERS' STRIKE .

THE UNION THAT REPRESENTS VIA RAIL CANADA ENGINEERS HAS GIVEN

NOTICE THAT IT INTENDS TO GO ON STRIKE AT NOON EASTERN TIME

ON FRIDAY, JULY 24, 2009.

NEGOTIATIONS ARE CONTINUING, BUT TO AVOID STRANDING PASSENGERS

EN ROUTE, VIA HAS BEGUN CANCELLING ITS TRAIN SERVICES. SOME

HAVE ALREADY BEEN CANCELLED, AND ALL TRAINS ARE CANCELLED

EFFECTIVE NOON ON FRIDAY, JULY 24 - AND THIS INCLUDES THE

NIAGARA FALLS-TORONTO PORTION OF THE MAPLE LEAF, WHICH IS A

VIA RAIL CANADA TRAIN BETWEEN THOSE POINTS. ON FRIDAY,

TRAIN 7097/64 WILL DEPART TORONTO, BUT TRAIN 63/7098 WILL

NOT OPERATE BETWEEN NIAGARA FALLS AND TORONTO. IT IS NOT YET

KNOWN WHAT EFFECT THIS WILL HAVE ON THE WHOLLY-AMTRAK TRAINS

TO VANCOUVER AND MONTREAL.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT VIA RAIL CANADA AT

WWW.VIARAIL.CA OR 888-VIA-RAIL.
Rafi

Here's the latest from Amtrak:
VIA RAIL CANADA ENGINEERS' STRIKE .

THE UNION THAT REPRESENTS VIA RAIL CANADA ENGINEERS HAS GIVEN

NOTICE THAT IT INTENDS TO GO ON STRIKE AT NOON EASTERN TIME

ON FRIDAY, JULY 24, 2009.

NEGOTIATIONS ARE CONTINUING, BUT TO AVOID STRANDING PASSENGERS

EN ROUTE, VIA HAS BEGUN CANCELLING ITS TRAIN SERVICES. SOME

HAVE ALREADY BEEN CANCELLED, AND ALL TRAINS ARE CANCELLED

EFFECTIVE NOON ON FRIDAY, JULY 24 - AND THIS INCLUDES THE

NIAGARA FALLS-TORONTO PORTION OF THE MAPLE LEAF, WHICH IS A

VIA RAIL CANADA TRAIN BETWEEN THOSE POINTS. ON FRIDAY,

TRAIN 7097/64 WILL DEPART TORONTO, BUT TRAIN 63/7098 WILL

NOT OPERATE BETWEEN NIAGARA FALLS AND TORONTO. IT IS NOT YET

KNOWN WHAT EFFECT THIS WILL HAVE ON THE WHOLLY-AMTRAK TRAINS

TO VANCOUVER AND MONTREAL.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT VIA RAIL CANADA AT

WWW.VIARAIL.CA OR 888-VIA-RAIL.
Rafi
Well since AMTRAK runs the Montreal and Vancouver trains with AMTRAK staff would the

crew which are union members here honor the picket lines? The way I read it you can get

to the border going north but no farther!No alternate transportation provided, does this mean

a trip to the Greyhound Station is Seattle and Niagara Falls,NY, dont know where the closest bus is to

Montreal, perhaps Albany??Hope Alan checks in and lets us kn ow ,hes usually correct and

Im sure hell be disappointed if the Canadian is cancelled!The post about tough economic times does not

affect union negotitations, some of the most bitter union negotiations occured in the 1930s during the

depression!

The post about tough economic times does not affect union negotitations, some of the most bitter union negotiations occured in the 1930s during the depression!
That was a lifetime ago in union history. Unions do not have as great a membership as they once did and, more importantly, lack the public sympathy that they once enjoyed. The public has since seen the airline, automobile and other industries adversely impacted by the presence of unions. Very few unions would be willing to strike now, and I expect that there will be an 11th hour solution in this situation.

The post about tough economic times does not affect union negotitations, some of the most bitter union negotiations occured in the 1930s during the depression!
That was a lifetime ago in union history. Unions do not have as great a membership as they once did and, more importantly, lack the public sympathy that they once enjoyed. The public has since seen the airline, automobile and other industries adversely impacted by the presence of unions. Very few unions would be willing to strike now, and I expect that there will be an 11th hour solution in this situation.
Well I hope so!I do know that Canadian unions and Canadians and their government are more supportive of worker

rights than we here in the US of A are!No-one likes a strike,least of all the workers and train riders

sure dont want one!Really though, I think most people being layed off/part timed and denied benefits

are realizing that no matter the past sins of unions(and they are many) that in union there is strength,

otherwise McJobs and Wal-mart type employment will be more and more folks lot!Agree or disagree,

I hope theres a settlement today!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

About 3 or 4 years ago the bus drivers went on strike in Vancouver, there was no bus service in the whole metro area for THREE MONTHS. So I wouldn't trust the track record of transportation strikes in Canada. I would like to believe they would settle this quickly and not disrupt the VIA service, but I have seen how unbelieveable it can be that they would allow a strike to go on so long in British Columbia that affected so many people so adversely.

Fingers crossed though, because I would really hate to see Alan's trip ruined by this, or anyone else's.

Also I do believe in the right to strike and in my mind the labor side has a valid beef until someone proves otherwise to me. I just think management needs to handle these things better. How the bus strike could go on so long is beyond me.

A strike is highly unlikely under current economic conditions, which affect Canada, as well.
Hay, the teachers in a local school district near me are demanding a 20% raise, and the board is only offering 9%. A strike is being expected.

Due to the economy, no one is getting a raise at where I work (we're told just be happy to not be amongst the hundreds they're laying off).

heres a service alert from amtrak. they finally posted one.

Possible VIA Rail Strike May Affect Maple Leaf Trains 63 and 64 Service to Canadian Destinations Beginning Friday, July 24 at Noon Eastern Daylight TimeThe union that represents VIA Rail Canada locomotive engineers has given notice that it intends to go on strike on Friday, July 24 at noon Eastern Daylight Time if a new labor agreement is not reached by then. The two parties are currently negotiating. As a result, Amtrak has adjusted operations for the Niagara Falls-Toronto portion of Maple Leaf Trains 63 and 64. If a strike occurs, Trains 63 and 64 will operate as follows:

Maple Leaf Train 63

On July 24, Maple Leaf Train 63, which originates in New York, will terminate in Niagara Falls, Ont. On July 24 only, passengers will be provided motorcoach service to Toronto and all intermediate stations.

Beginning July 25 and through the duration of the strike, Train 63 will terminate in Niagara Falls, N.Y., and motorcoach service will not be provided.

Maple Leaf Train 64

On July 24, Train 64 will not be affected by the strike and will operate according to the published schedule.

On July 25 and through the duration of the strike, Train 64 will originate in Niagara Falls, N.Y. The train will not operate from Toronto to Niagara Falls, N.Y., and motorcoach service will not be provided.

Amtrak is in regular contact with VIA Rail officials and is monitoring the situation closely in order to minimize the effect on Amtrak operations to the extent possible. At this time, Adirondack Trains 68 and 69 (operating between New York and Montreal, Quebec) and Amtrak Cascades Trains 510 and 517 (operating between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.) will not be affected by the strike and will operate according to the published schedules.

Please note that due to the nature of the situation, this schedule is subject to change. Please check Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) for the most up-to-date information.

This information is current as of July 23, 2009.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

Does this mean Alan is stuck in Canada?
He's not there yet. Isn't scheduled to be there for a few days.
So it's worse-- he's stuck in America! :blink:
Aloha from La Habra

Alan's plan was to board the Coast Starlight, this morning, to Seattle, arriving Friday evening. He was working on contingency plans, He might switch to the Empire Builder. What was of most concern was the lack of a clear position from VIA Rail about the status as of Saturday's train. A definite cancellation of Friday's departure has occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back