AMTRAK K-9 sniffers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But yet they still harass us about taking photos.. :huh: Interesting video. Gotta love a senator or rep giving the TSA a bunch of trouble for using a screening system when they could use dogs. Gotta love politics!

Last week at CUS I saw those dogs. I was just glad I didn't have a piece of meat or something in my pocket. I'd have hated to have either of them point me out for something as innocent as having a hot dog!!!

Last week at CUS I saw those dogs. I was just glad I didn't have a piece of meat or something in my pocket. I'd have hated to have either of them point me out for something as innocent as having a hot dog!!!
Why would you have a hot dog in your pocket?

Obviously you've never seen the contents of my pockets! :lol:

Why do news stations feel closed captioning isn't needed on their online videos? I wrote to my local station and, if I recall correctly, they said they weren't required to. How hard can it be if they already provide it for their live broadcasts? Sorry, just needed to vent about that since this is yet another video that I could not fully appreciate.

So he can carry the fries in his hands?
I thought that's what the other pocket is for?
huh.gif

Somehow I don't think I'd accept any food from you if you ever offered it to me! :giggle:

Why do news stations feel closed captioning isn't needed on their online videos? I wrote to my local station and, if I recall correctly, they said they weren't required to. How hard can it be if they already provide it for their live broadcasts? Sorry, just needed to vent about that since this is yet another video that I could not fully appreciate.
I'm with you! It's not the only news, but training video at work, I've bugged them along with few other from other stores, now they are slowly adding CC to them.

It's a technical issue -- as far as I know, there's no way to automatically add the television captions to the online version of the story. And they're correct that they're not required to have online captions.

But please keep complaining to them -- they might figure out a process for doing it if they think there's a demand for it.

(Also please complain if you see bad captioning on TV or online -- that's a pet peeve of mine.)

TraneMan said:
I'm with you! It's not the only news, but training video at work, I've bugged them along with few other from other stores, now they are slowly adding CC to them.
Unlike web videos on TV stations websites, your situation sounds like an ADA issue, since presumably you're required to watch and understand the training videos. If you haven't mentioned the letters "ADA" to your HR department, do so and see if it gets the captions added faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much you want to bet the dogs are not fully trained. Our very own ALC_rail_writer got singled out cause the dog went after his left over fish N chips.

Because he stopped at Gold Coast Dogs in Chicago Union and wanted to have a few extras for on down the line :p

These dogs are our last lines of defense against screening and pat downs on trains.

How much you want to bet the dogs are not fully trained. Our very own ALC_rail_writer got singled out cause the dog went after his left over fish N chips.
*snickers*

You know, as much as they train dogs, I'm sure you get an incident like this once in a blue moon with police dogs. They're not supposed to happen, but if that dog didn't get breakfast he may be more interested in food and less interested in playing (that is, doing his job so he gets to play with his toy as an after-work incentive).

I am 100% supportive of the bomb sniffing dogs at the large Amtrak stations. They do not violate your forth amendment rights, are nonintrusive are highly effective at finding the slightest trace of explosives. Most of the dogs are also friendly and unlike the TSA thugs at the airport they like people. While 100% security is difficult to obtain with any form of transportation (especially on busses and subways) the dogs are the best means possible to keeping us safe and they don't waste millions of taxpayer money and pose health risks like the x-ray scanners do.

I too am 100% in favor of using dogs for rail security. While they may not do a perfect job, I have no doubts that in a head to head competition with TSA agents, the dogs would win.

This thread does remind me of a news item from back in the '70s (or maybe even the '60s) about one member of the Rolling Stones having his suitcase getting a positive reaction from a drug sniffing dog at an international airport. When the suitcase was opened, the contents in question turned out to be dog biscuits that were being taken home for the household pet. :lol:

You know, as much as they train dogs, I'm sure you get an incident like this once in a blue moon with police dogs. They're not supposed to happen, but if that dog didn't get breakfast he may be more interested in food and less interested in playing (that is, doing his job so he gets to play with his toy as an after-work incentive).
When I worked in Washington I often had to meet groups of Central Asians arriving at Dulles International Airport. Often one or more members of the group were delayed in customs, because the drug-sniffing dogs would go wild over the horse-meat sausage in the group's luggage. To be fair, the sausage was contraband, just not drugs.

I don't really care about the K-9 units at Union Station, other than I think it's silly that the handlers have their pistols strapped to their thighs, rather than in a belt holster like normal police. Is that supposed to look cooler?

In any case, though, that police presence at Amtrak station has virtually nothing to do with security on the train, as long as there are grade crossings. Given the propensity that even *law-abiding* Americans have to ram their cars into trains, security theater at train stations is not going to stop miscreants.

When I worked in Washington I often had to meet groups of Central Asians arriving at Dulles International Airport. Often one or more members of the group were delayed in customs, because the drug-sniffing dogs would go wild over the horse-meat sausage in the group's luggage. To be fair, the sausage was contraband, just not drugs.
Actually the customs sniffing dogs are supposed to sniff for both drugs and unsealed food/agricultural products. Originally they were put in place to detect agricultural and food products as much as for drugs, and were originally funded by the Department of Agriculture, not DHS or DEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back