Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to be on it...I wonder why they didn't open ticket sales with the announcement? Now I'll have to wait and see if I can make my purchase quick enough when it does open up for sale on the 9th....

From some of the comments though, perhaps they chased away some potential rider's with the steep price increase. It would be ironic, if they had to lower the price later, or even cancel the second train if sales are too low...

I too am confused by that routing description. One thing that would be neat, would be if they could somehow utilize a portion of the old Trenton Cutoff in one direction..... :)

Definitely gonna try to get on this this year. I agree with most here that the price increase is a bit steep though, especially since many will also be taking a regional to get to PHL.

Last year, I wanted to get there early, but not Train 67 early ;) , so after considering different options, like parking on the SEPTA Trenton line and taking it in, I decided to drive to Woodcrest on the PATCO line, and with more options, took it in and walked to 30th street station. It worked very nicely. Thinking I will do it again.... :cool:

Last year, I wanted to get there early, but not Train 67 early ;) , so after considering different options, like parking on the SEPTA Trenton line and taking it in, I decided to drive to Woodcrest on the PATCO line, and with more options, took it in and walked to 30th street station. It worked very nicely. Thinking I will do it again.... :cool:
If you wanted to, you would only need to walk to Suburban or whatever they are calling Market East now and take a SEPTA regional rail to 30th street at no charge, since you have an Amtrak ticket

If you wanted to, you would only need to walk to Suburban or whatever they are calling Market East now and take a SEPTA regional rail to 30th street at no charge, since you have an Amtrak ticket
That would be my rainy day option....after the long drive down from Queens, and ride on PATCO, and before the all-day excursion, I would welcome the brisk walk from the end of the PATCO line over to 30th Street.... :)

I can agree with you Jishnu. But I think no matter what getting back to PHL off the HIGH LINE will be tricky.. The only foreseeable route off is at I think PHIL interlocking.. If not PHIL then ARSENAL. But I think that a more detailed routing will come out and about soon.

Got an email from Amtrak this afternoon announcing the "Autumn Express is back by popular demand" with a link to the website page. So they are giving people enough of a heads-up so they can book the train at 10 AM ET on Thursday. However, I think the $129 price is going to cool demand over last year, so we'll see if it sells out on Thursday or not.

Got an email from Amtrak this afternoon announcing the "Autumn Express is back by popular demand" with a link to the website page. So they are giving people enough of a heads-up so they can book the train at 10 AM ET on Thursday. However, I think the $129 price is going to cool demand over last year, so we'll see if it sells out on Thursday or not.
Afigg,

Did the email actually say the booking would begin at 10AM? The link just states October 9, which theoretically means you could book at 12:00 AM eastern time. I was planning on staying up and booking at midnight, but I won't bother if your info is correct.

Sorry, I read too fast, I see it now. Remember when your teacher told you to read ALL the directions before proceeding?

Can someone clarify what "high line" means in railroad lingo?
The "High Line" is a elevated railroad viaduct that runs north-south just west of 30th Street Station. It extends for about three miles from ZOO interlocking on the north end (where the Amtrak lines to New York, Harrisburg and Washington converge) to Arsenal interlocking on the south end (just south of the University of Pennsylvania). It was originally constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad as a bypass to permit freight trains to avoid passenger congestion in the 30th Street area. It is now owned by CSX.

Does the High Line actually have any connection any more at Arsenal? I thought the only connection now is at Phil. But I could be wrong. I am somehow under the impression that Arsenal is now restricted to the University City line alone, and it has no footprint on the NEC. But again I may be remembering wrongly. That part is not my area of primary expertise at all,I might add.

And yes, all connection between the High Line and anything else has been removed at the Zoo end AFAICT.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. CSX has no connections at Zoo. There is still a CSX interlocking at Arsenal, but with Conrail, not Amtrak. The first Amtrak connection is PHIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back