Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the Autumn Excursion has padding built in? I'm currently scheduled to head back to NYP on a train departing Philly at 7:10. Wondering if I should change to the 8:20 NER.

Do you think the Autumn Excursion has padding built in? I'm currently scheduled to head back to NYP on a train departing Philly at 7:10. Wondering if I should change to the 8:20 NER.
Excursion trains are notorious for not sticking to a schedule. Book the later train.

Excursion trains are notorious for not sticking to a schedule. Book the later train.
Alright, thanks Mike!
Even that sounds like a tight connex...I would play it safe, and book an even later return if available....unless Amtrak would allow you to change it if you "misconnect" on the return.....

I read that Reading Historical Society reserved two cars (I assume they added two cars to the consist) that are being picked up and dropped off at the Franklin St Station in Reading. Perhaps the stop/load and stop/unload of those passengers is accounting for the extra hour in the excursion time?

Is it just the Saturday train that had its time changed? or Both Saturday and Sunday?

I haven't heard what day the Reading Historical Society is going.

Just got an email from Amtrak saying that NS informed them that due to the conditions on the railroad, the trip will take longer than expected, and that's why they changed the return time to 7PM.

Hope they add more cars to the Keystone 671 at 9:45, and don't wonder why they are missing lots of passengers on the Keystone 669 at 6:55 :)

You might luck out for 669. Would there really be an extra hour of traffic on the line? I would guess that Amtrak probably doesn't want a late arrival, so when they were informed about a delay they possibly said "Just push it up an hour to be safe".

Now if it is close, it would be nice if they bring the special on the same platform that 669 would be sitting at already, so you don't have to go upstairs, but I doubt that would happen.

Yea, I am hoping its a non issue, but want to be prepared in case its not (like bringing something to read!)

Thanks

You might luck out for 669. Would there really be an extra hour of traffic on the line? I would guess that Amtrak probably doesn't want a late arrival, so when they were informed about a delay they possibly said "Just push it up an hour to be safe".

Now if it is close, it would be nice if they bring the special on the same platform that 669 would be sitting at already, so you don't have to go upstairs, but I doubt that would happen.
Certain parts of the Harrisburg line can be busy.

The portion of the Harrisburg Line is busiest between Paoli and Philly, from what I've noticed. Not sure how many SEPTA trains will be on the line at the time the #669 is.

SEPTA has one train an hour at that time on the Thorndale/Malvern/Paoli line. I think what Acela150 was referring to was the business of the Freight Harrisburg line that the Autumn Express will be traveling on.

I live in Lebanon (which is on the NS Harrisburg Line) and I can tell you it is a busy line with over 50 trains on average a day.

The portion of the Harrisburg Line is busiest between Paoli and Philly, from what I've noticed. Not sure how many SEPTA trains will be on the line at the time the #669 is.
I meant to say the NS Harrisburg Line.. When referring to the Amtrak Harrisburg Line, I call it the "Main Line".

SEPTA has one train an hour at that time on the Thorndale/Malvern/Paoli line. I think what Acela150 was referring to was the business of the Freight Harrisburg line that the Autumn Express will be traveling on.
That's correct. The NS Harrisburg Line is what I was referring to.

I had to make a last-minute cancellation. Maybe a seat will appear soon.

The excursion hasn't even run yet, but I am already speculating on what route they might surprise us with for next year? :)

I had to make a last-minute cancellation. Maybe a seat will appear soon.
There are large groups of tickets that appear at a time. A lot appeared a few days ago (I bought one for my friend), and a few weeks before that there were another large group. Both times after being sold out. And no "4 tickets left at this price" message, so it wasn't just a single cancellation. I'm thinking that they are simply adding cars on to the consist a few days after they sell out. To a reasonable limit of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back