Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably be proven wrong within hours, but I think that as each day goes by, the probability of a fall excursion becomes less and less. After all, last year's event was announced in late August.

The one thing that raised a red flag with me was using the NS Harrisburg Line both ways. Why would they do that? As a result of Conrail removing all connections between the High Line and Amtrak at Zoo back in the late 1980's (I think), the only way to get a train from 30th Street to CSX/NS heading north is to back out of 30th Street heading south on the NEC for about two miles, then access CSX at PHIL interlocking in Southwest Philadelphia, then take CSX north over the High Line and up the Trenton line to RIVER and the connection to NS. That is a bit of a hassle and involves two host railroads. I could see them do it one way for the rare route and the scenery, but why do it both ways when they could come back from Harrisburg on the Keystone line entirely under Amtrak control with no need to back two miles into 30th Street?

So, now that I've posted this, look for the announcement at any moment.

I'm expecting the annoucement will be when a bunch of AUers will be on trains in areas without cell service and by the time we get cell service, the trains will be sold out. :ph34r: :help: :eek:

I, unfortunately, am starting to have major doubts about this trip too. I would think this would need to be announced more than a month in advanced

Even if it happens, I could see Amtrak losing interest and eventually not run one at all.

These specials are not only contingent on the hosts, it is based upon equipment availability. IF this trip occurs, the equipment will likely come from another special that precedes it(like last year). That plan is being finalized, so now it is a matter of seeing if everyone can get the equipment into position, service it, operate a foliage special and get everything home in time for Thanksgiving.

The towel has yet to be thrown in.

As for using Facebook posts, I would ask that people use discretion when it comes to using names. Not everyone is on Facebook, but it is easy for people to monitor boards like this.

Trying to make sense of this:

See fall scenery on a rare trip beginning with the Philadelphia Highline above and across the Penn Coach Yards and mainline. Travel along the Schuykill River and through the countryside that only freight trains travel now. You'll pass through the Flat Rock Tunnel, constructed in 1836 - 1840 (one of the oldest in the country) and the Black Rock Tunnel, constructed in 1838, the third oldest tunnel still in use in this country. After a brief stop in Harrisburg, PA, the Autumn Express will take you back to Philadelphia via Hershey and Reading, PA, while travelling through scenic Montgomery, Chester, Berks, Lebanon and Dauphin Counties.
Is it going the same way on return? Trying to make sense of this - the post on Facebook said so and this kinda suggests it, as I traced it through the map but on the other hand the wording seems weird.

Ok. They must love Philadelphia.
Amtrak has spare capacity to operate the train from 30th Street and store the equipment in the yards. Another advantage is the extra NEC revenue they will collect from passengers making a day trip from WAS, BAL, NYP to PHL to take the 2014 Autumn Express. Philly provides them a customer base area consisting of the entire southern half of the NEC to draw from for ticket sales along with some traveling from north of NYC and south of DC.

I was wrong about the 3-day discount sale this week for trips between PHL and WAS,BAL,NYP,BOS in early November as related to the AX. OTOH, a skeptic might think that Amtrak had the sale in advance of the AX announcement, so there would be fewer low bucket NEC seats to PHL left when the AX tickets go on sale. They would not be that devious and organized would they? :eek:

At $129 per adult, this is not a low cost excursion trip. They sold out 2 trains last year at $89 a head, so we will see how sales go this year with a $40 increase.

I thought about this, but I don't know if it is the case: Do they bring some extra equipment east to help with increasing Thanksgiving capacity on the NEC? If so, it makes it easier for Amtrak to have the extra equipment needed to operate the train out of Philly.

Sorry, but will miss the trip this year. Have another trip to Philly and Maryland the weekend before and not time to do both. :(

Enjoyed last year's trip and sure it will be another successful project for Amtrak. Perhaps they will try it in a different place and closer to Ohio next year :) We have great leaves here as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing about Philly is that 30th Street Station can handle the large passenger load.

The price, in addition to the NER tickets, may be too much for me this year. Especially coming off my trip to the Gathering.

What kind of equipment does the AE usually use? Most pictures show Amcan Is and Horizons, but I see Amfleet IIs in one or two.

Along with that, do they have food service in the lounges? Not too keen on the boxed lunch, but I don't mind AmCafe burgers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they increased the price about 45% from last year. They may be too greedy here.

At least they got the timing better from central Pennsylvania.

Last year's boxed lunch actually came in a rather nice insulated bag. I didn't take a picture of the sandwich and associated goodies, but they were definitely better than one normally gets in the Amcafe. I chatted with the Amtrak employee who had arranged the catering, and he said it had come from an upscale provider in DC.

2013-11-02%2010.06.04-XL.jpg
Alas, I will be unable to attend this year. There are just too many other things going on in November. Bill is right: let's hope they do something a little further west next time, so that they can attract a new group of foamers AU loonies rail enthusiasts.

Yeah I see that it's 9:45 which is nice as I can get to it, but it's a little costly.. I'll have a long hard think about it, it's very tempting because it's so close to home and that's one of the lines I would just love to go on. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back