Amtrak Drug Testing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most workers don't have collecting bargaining rights nor belong to a Union.

They serve as at will employees and under Right to Work Laws basically have to do what the Company dictates.

True, but since we were focusing on rail, that's a little less common. As a general rule, American workers have less rights and benefits than most of the industrialized world, they just haven't woken up and figured it out yet.

I hate to revive an old thread, but does anyone know if Amtrak does hair follicle testing for non union (or non customer facing) jobs? Let's say customer service or sales or office type jobs.

Thanks!
No. Office jobs aren't goverend by FRA... I'm sure they'd do a urine test, but T&E, MOW are the jobs that require Hair and Urine. As they are safety sensitve jobs. Answering phones at a call center isn't a safety sensitive job. ;)
Yes, but railroad employers can set their own rules that are more stringent than the FRA. Amtrak does drug test job applicants for positions that are not DOT jobs. Not only job applicants......to maintain a drug free workplace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very true.

I believe it's safe to say that Amtrak employees are required to be drug free at all times, no matter where they work and no matter what their job description. Even if FRA doesn't regulate it, Amtrak can and does. You can get hurt in an office, too, and Amtrak isn't interested in having an environment where that can happen. The Company also has an obvious interest in having employees who can focus on doing their jobs properly.

Tom

Hair and swab tests are not sanctioned by the FRA and are an Amtrak preference.

The FRA will only recognize the typical "pee in a cup" test.

I believe it's safe to say that Amtrak employees are required to be drug free at all times, no matter where they work and no matter what their job description.
This is of course false since I've watched plenty of Amtrak employees abusing nicotine, using caffeine, and I'm pretty sure they allow employees to use alcohol outside work hours. You probably just mean the arbitrary list of drugs which are currently illegal, though.

I believe it's safe to say that Amtrak employees are required to be drug free at all times, no matter where they work and no matter what their job description.
This is of course false since I've watched plenty of Amtrak employees abusing nicotine, using caffeine, and I'm pretty sure they allow employees to use alcohol outside work hours. You probably just mean the arbitrary list of drugs which are currently illegal, though.
Abusing nicotine. So smoking and or chewing tabacco. Which many railroaders do. Caffeine, who doesn't use caffeine??? Do you drink coffee, soda, tea? The fact that you even brought these up is humorous.

I hope your comments are tongue in cheek. To be clear, they are prohibited from using illegal substances, and they are prohibited from working under the influence. This means that I was allowed to have a beer with my meal when I was off duty, on my own time. I could not have that beer just before going on duty. Employees aren't supposed to smoke in the presence of passengers, but nicotine and caffeine are legal. In fact, I'd rather let an all-night employee have access to coffee or tea so they can stay alert. Any disagreement there?

Tom

As usual you make it Crystal Clear Tom!

One thing I wonder about is how do OBS smoke out of the presence of Passengers since Smoking is strictly prohibited on the train and during "Smoke or Fresh Air" stops, the passengers are on the platform?

Ive seen them smoke in the Kitchen and Transdorm downstairs with the window open and before locked Bag Cars they smoked there too!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's entertaining seeing Nathaniel's point sail over everyone's head.

Nobody is drug free at any time, saying that the requirement is to be "drug free at all times" is a gross oversimplification, and the current divide between legal and illegal drugs is a bit nonsensical and arbitrary.

Ryan, you say "The current divide between legal and illegal drugs is a bit nonsensical and arbitrary".

You may disagree with the current laws, and feel that they aren't appropriate when judged according to the real or perceived dangers of specific substances. You have that right. But whatever your position on the issue, the fact is that the laws are specific, and not arbitrary. If it's illegal, it's not permitted. Whether it SHOULD BE illegal is another question, but Amtrak doesn't pass laws. That's the Legislative Branch's job. If it's legal, it's allowed, within certain limits.

Bob Dylan: Smoking out of view of passengers? You should know better than to expect me to reveal all of our secrets, or to rat out my old co workers. I quit smoking a little over 10 years ago, but smoked for several years as an employee. We had our ways, and we did it without getting caught. Now I'm glad I quit, and my new awareness of the offensiveness of the smoke makes me wonder how we were not discovered more often.

"I'm shocked. SHOCKED! There's smoking in this (choose one) kitchen, crew car, rest room, etc."

Tom

To be clear, they are prohibited from using illegal substances, and they are prohibited from working under the influence.

Tom
I was really just gently poking you to write more carefully. I don't like it when people say "drugs" and mean "illegal drugs". 'Cause it's misleading.
I happen to be violently allergic to cigarette smoke, I hate dealing with drunk people, and a friend of mine knew someone who actually overdosed on caffeine. If I'd been around in the 19th century, I probably would have supported Prohibition. Except, to my terrible disappointment, Prohibition didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back