Amtrak Drug Testing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one am glad they have the strict testing! If you are thinking of joining Amtrak and worked about testing,perhaps you should re-think your career choice or your choice of recreation!

I would rather have my engine driven by someone who had smoked pot 30 days ago than someone who had been very drunk 2 days ago

I would rather have my engine driven by someone who had smoked pot 30 days ago than someone who had been very drunk 2 days ago
Id rather have an engineer that did neither! Not as a moral issue, but for Safety reasons!

With Pot becoming legal in so many places,( and eventually everywhere except maybe Utah!)the issue of Drug testing will eventually have to be reworked especially for public employees, transportation workers and athletes!

What people do when they're on vacation or off duty for 96 hours is really none of the employer's business. There are very few drugs which last THAT long (LSD maybe). But we've still got these crazy 1980s-era testing policies which don't really determine whether someone is fit to work *now*, just whether they were fit to work in the past (when they weren't working, of course). Someone could have a nice clean hair test and go get stinking drunk just before going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
What people do when they're on vacation or off duty for 96 hours is really none of the employer's business. There are very few drugs which last THAT long (LSD maybe). But we've still got these crazy 1980s-era testing policies which don't really determine whether someone is fit to work *now*, just whether they were fit to work in the past (when they weren't working, of course). Someone could have a nice clean hair test and go get stinking drunk just before going to work.
I can agree with part of this statement.. What someone does while on vacation isn't anyone else's business, to an extent.. Sure a few adult beverages are ok. Any illegal drugs though.. That's where I have an issue.

When I had my Physical and Drug test performed. They took hair and urine from me. And I didn't have 2-3 inches of hair on my head so they took hair from my underarms.

Yeah sure someone could get a random test and then goto work later and be wasted on alcohol. But I can almost guarantee that if anyone who worked for a railroad showed up wasted after downing a 12 pack of Dogfish IPA would be fired on the spot as soon as they showed up to work. It's a major issue!

But just because some drugs don't have a "long lasting effect" doesn't mean it wouldn't show up on a Hair test. If one gets tested 67 days after they used, it will show up on the hair.

If Amtrak also has mandatory employment physicals like the trucking industry does, alcoholism will show up in your blood tests. Depends on how much the employer gets all up in your business.

CDL drivers can't take a drink less than 4hrs before reporting for duty. If you get caught ... go ahead and try grieving that ... because you can kiss that job goodbye. Google "reasonable suspicion testing".

In some cases DOT mandates an observed urine test for bus/truck drivers and, yes, I've seen people lose their jobs over this. (It certainly is not required in all circumstances--the regs are quite specific.)

There is such a thing as marijuana impaired driving, but most would question whether someone who smoked on vacation, say, is still impaired two weeks later. The metabolites can show up in urine up to 30 days later. Many drivers have lost their jobs for this since the 1980s.

Ironically, many, many employers allow employees to drive while SICK or FATIGUED*, both of which can make you as impaired as someone who is DUI ALCOHOL**. But observe how much the transportation industry squeals like stuck pigs when the government attempts to restrict hours of service, or when local governments propose mandatory paid sick leave!

Life would be so much simpler if all "human error" collisions were attributable to the demon weed, at least for management. No hard thinking or sacrifice--hire a two-bit drug test outfit and call it a day!

*-we know this from accident reports

**-research that came out recently--look it up! But you might have to sift, lots of fatigue/sleep research coming out these days.

Hypothetical question:

Now that marijuana use is legal in many locations, is it possible that a person could test positive

after being in the presence of a user, and inadvertently inhaling some second-hand smoke?

Tom

Hypothetical question:

Now that marijuana use is legal in many locations, is it possible that a person could test positive

after being in the presence of a user, and inadvertently inhaling some second-hand smoke?

Tom
No.

There is such a thing as marijuana impaired driving, but most would question whether someone who smoked on vacation, say, is still impaired two weeks later. The metabolites can show up in urine up to 30 days later. Many drivers have lost their jobs for this since the 1980s.
This is the part of the drug testing which I think is... poorly thought out. A "fitness for work" check upon arrival at work would make the most sense.

Ironically, many, many employers allow employees to drive while SICK or FATIGUED*, both of which can make you as impaired as someone who is DUI ALCOHOL**. But observe how much the transportation industry squeals like stuck pigs when the government attempts to restrict hours of service, or when local governments propose mandatory paid sick leave!
Yeah, that really upsets me. Distracted & fatigued driving is really, really dangerous, and it's not taken seriously.

Didn't realize Amtrak would do a test on hair. Even the airlines only do a urine test for pre-employment. After that it's random, along with the FAA mandated 8 hour bottle to throttle rule. Some airlines require longer, such as 10 or 12 hours.

Didn't realize Amtrak would do a test on hair. Even the airlines only do a urine test for pre-employment. After that it's random, along with the FAA mandated 8 hour bottle to throttle rule. Some airlines require longer, such as 10 or 12 hours.
Amtrak does not do the hair at random tests for Train and Engine service. Only a breathalyzer test and a urine test (not observed). At the physicals required to maintain certification they do a urine test (not observed).

Amtrak engine service drug tests; pre-employment, annual at time of physical, random, probable cause, return to work after extended absence, random monthly after Rule G violation bypass.

I hate to revive an old thread, but does anyone know if Amtrak does hair follicle testing for non union (or non customer facing) jobs? Let's say customer service or sales or office type jobs.

Thanks!

The legalization of marijuana for recreational or medicinal use on a state level does not change its status on the federal level where it is still illegal. If you are in a job that is covered by federal requirements, you are bound by them. No one knows what the future will hold, but that's the way it is right now.

I hate to revive an old thread, but does anyone know if Amtrak does hair follicle testing for non union (or non customer facing) jobs? Let's say customer service or sales or office type jobs.

Thanks!
No. Office jobs aren't goverend by FRA... I'm sure they'd do a urine test, but T&E, MOW are the jobs that require Hair and Urine. As they are safety sensitve jobs. Answering phones at a call center isn't a safety sensitive job. ;)

I work in the office/call center of a production plant. As such, they tested my hair, as that is company policy. I also had to have a physical, even though I sit at a desk all day.

So, even if Amtrak's call center and some of the customer service jobs aren't governed by FRA, you might want to check. Drug tests and physicals sometimes have more to do with insurance requirements, such as in the case of my physical, than the type of job you're performing.

If they do a hair test, be sure to let the nurse/technician know if you've taken any prescription drugs recently. Some, such as amoxicillin, can produce a false positive. My nurse asked me to list all medications, even OTC, that I'd taken during the past six months. Additionally, decongestants can cause slightly elevated blood pressure, so if you have to have a physical, lay off the DayQuil for a couple days. :)

Of course, even in organizations that do not do routine drug testing, it may be required to work on specific sites or client contracts. I worked for a company that did not do testing, but certain locations where we did work the customers required various types of background checks and drug testing on the workers assigned before they could work there. A worker that did not wish to be screened for any reason could do that, but could not work at those locations.

Thanks!
No. Office jobs aren't goverend by FRA... I'm sure they'd do a urine test, but T&E, MOW are the jobs that require Hair and Urine. As they are safety sensitve jobs. Answering phones at a call center isn't a safety sensitive job. ;)
Yes, but railroad employers can set their own rules that are more stringent than the FRA. Amtrak does drug test job applicants for positions that are not DOT jobs. Not only job applicants......to maintain a drug free workplace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pre hire testing is different than post hire. Where not mandated by law/gov't regulation, drug testing of already hired would be a negotiable item in a collective bargaining agreement if one applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back