Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We already know one change which is already planned: electronic real-time inventory tracking. ("Point of Sale", they call it.) This is supposed to give the dining car staff more time to serve customers with the same number of total working hours, since they will spend a lot less time doing paperwork.

I'd like to see the results of that -- if the dining car stays open longer that would definitely give better financial results.
I expect that implementation of electronic POS and inventory tracking will have wide ranging implications for the dining car staff. My takeaway from the OIG report is how haphazard and inconsistent the management and staff procedures are for the F&B services. Lack of detailed data on food sales and inventory tracking for one.
Another is Figure 3 which shows the wide range in revenue per rider across the lead service attendants on the CL. This is not a surprise with the frequent reports of how some dining staffs make the effort to make the dining service available to coach passengers and others don't give a damn. Detailed sales and passenger count data at the end of each trip by meal and time will provide quick feedback on which crews are bringing in the revenue and which are not. Start an incentive program to quickly award the crews with food sales above the median and the diner car sales to coach passengers should increase. Of course, there may be difficulty in implementing an valid incentive program.
Don't get me wrong, the DATA that the POS units, coupled with the train's passenger manifest, will provide is all EXACTLY as you state. It will point out numerous inefficiencies and areas that need improvement. But management must read, interpret, and then ACT on the data........

Last edited by a moderator:
This business about free riders getting free meals is getting a bit over the top IMHO. I have never heard of an airline charging specially for meals of the people traveling non-rev or on passes, on flights that serve free meals in general. It is nice to know what it costs, but that does not mean it is a good idea to try to recover that cost.
I can think of witnessing the opposite happening on a plane, I was sitting next to a non-revving, commuting Delta pilot recently on an American Airlines domestic flight. When the Buy-On-Board Cart passed us the flight attendants asked him if he wanting anything. He said the Sandwich which was given to him free of charge, no credit card handed over for a swipe, I assume as a professional curtesy as a freebie he clearly expected.
I suspect it has more to do with Union contracts. But I could be wrong of course. Saxman could probably give the inside story on this sort of thing.
Nothing to do with union contracts or anything. It's just an unwritten courtesy to give other crewmembers free food and amenities when they are commuting on different airlines. It happens to me all the time. However when "non-reving" those folks get the same service offered in the cabin in which they are sitting. But sometimes the FA's feel generous a sneak a meal to their friends or something.

I've never filled out my order. The most I've ever done is signed the form and added my room and car number. The dining car staff took car of the rest. Why would I want to fill out an order form now, either paper or electronic?

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.
Why would I want to wait for a server to come around and take my order when I can fire it down to the kitchen as soon as I decide and get my meal that much faster?

I've never filled out my order. The most I've ever done is signed the form and added my room and car number. The dining car staff took car of the rest. Why would I want to fill out an order form now, either paper or electronic?

I fondly recall my early Amtrak travels when I had to use a stubby Ampencil and write out my order on the form; of course the rocking of the Diner didn't help but I always got what I attempted to write down.

Well, there is good news. All these cuts are aparently going to help save the Southwest Chief's current route...

http://www.chieftain.com/news/pueblo/2281259-120/amtrak-ceo-pueblo-service

U.S. Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., for one, was impressed.

“I am proud Amtrak is cutting unnecessary spending in order to ensure the Southwest Chief can continue to serve the residents of Trinidad, Lamar and La Junta,”
- See more at: http://www.chieftain.com/news/pueblo/2281259-120/amtrak-ceo-pueblo-service#sthash.1Ek1cB1I.dpuf
I am sure these cuts will add up to the millions needed to save the route. (sarcasm)

Well, there is good news. All these cuts are aparently going to help save the Southwest Chief's current route...

“I am proud Amtrak is cutting unnecessary spending in order to ensure the Southwest Chief can continue to serve the residents of Trinidad, Lamar and La Junta,”

- See more at: http://www.chieftain.com/news/pueblo/2281259-120/amtrak-ceo-pueblo-service#sthash.1Ek1cB1I.dpuf
I am sure these cuts will add up to the millions needed to save the route. (sarcasm)
Well, I wish I'd known Boardman's stance BEFORE I wasted time penning him a letter. I'm actually surprised he mentioned them. However, it validates what some other posters suggested, that this cut is being done purely for political capital, that is "earning points" (or at least hoping to) with certain detractors

We already know one change which is already planned: electronic real-time inventory tracking. ("Point of Sale", they call it.) This is supposed to give the dining car staff more time to serve customers with the same number of total working hours, since they will spend a lot less time doing paperwork.

I'd like to see the results of that -- if the dining car stays open longer that would definitely give better financial results.
I expect that implementation of electronic POS and inventory tracking will have wide ranging implications for the dining car staff. My takeaway from the OIG report is how haphazard and inconsistent the management and staff procedures are for the F&B services. Lack of detailed data on food sales and inventory tracking for one.
Another is Figure 3 which shows the wide range in revenue per rider across the lead service attendants on the CL. This is not a surprise with the frequent reports of how some dining staffs make the effort to make the dining service available to coach passengers and others don't give a damn. Detailed sales and passenger count data at the end of each trip by meal and time will provide quick feedback on which crews are bringing in the revenue and which are not. Start an incentive program to quickly award the crews with food sales above the median and the diner car sales to coach passengers should increase. Of course, there may be difficulty in implementing an valid incentive program.
There have also been a few cases where, due to some of the "Chicago issues", the Cap would get equipment late. This tends to trigger a cascade that makes it very difficult to fit coach folks into the diner.

There have also been a few cases where, due to some of the "Chicago issues", the Cap would get equipment late. This tends to trigger a cascade that makes it very difficult to fit coach folks into the diner.
That too is a BIG problem, at least IMHO.

When I was younger and traveled coach, a lot, I almost always ate every meal in the diner....

As a Dining Car employee, I often was selected to "walk the train" announcing the opening of the dining car thru the coaches. (One was instructed to walk to the FRONT of the train, and THEN make the announcements while walking BACK towards the diner, otherwise, one would have to "fight for aisle space" making one's way back to the diner...)

Start an incentive program to quickly award the crews with food sales above the median and the diner car sales to coach passengers should increase. Of course, there may be difficulty in implementing an valid incentive program.
Difficulty? Impossibility -- the union would never allow anything like that to enter the agreement.

Start an incentive program to quickly award the crews with food sales above the median and the diner car sales to coach passengers should increase. Of course, there may be difficulty in implementing an valid incentive program.
Difficulty? Impossibility -- the union would never allow anything like that to enter the agreement.
I agree, even thou if run correctly, it may actually increase the number of positions that may be needed, which would mean more hours for union employees. Theoretically. But see, the union wouldn't have any control over that, and therein lies the rub. (all speculative, of course) and if the union can't control it, then the union doesn't want to touch it, even if it were good for the union........... Don't get me started. (I still have my Brotherhood union card, pisses me off every time I look at it)

Why would I want to wait for a server to come around and take my order when I can fire it down to the kitchen as soon as I decide and get my meal that much faster?
I agree with RyanS on this one. With the limited menu on Amtrak's dining car, I usually know what I want before I even sit down, or can decide within the first 45 seconds. Yet the usual pattern is to sit and wait and wait and wait for the server to show up so they can write it on a piece of paper and carry it over (or down) to the kitchen. If there's a better way, I'm all for it. The romance of eating a meal while the scenery glides by doesn't really kick in, IMO, until you're actually eating. Sitting around wondering if the staff is aware of your existence isn't a fun way to start.

Although I see the logic that I do not appreciate the dehumanization of the world especially on an Amtrak train

fairviewroad, on 12 Feb 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

RyanS, on 11 Feb 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

RalphCT, on 11 Feb 2014 - 6:23 PM, said:I've never filled out my order. The most I've ever done is signed the form and added my room and car number. The dining car staff took car of the rest. Why would I want to fill out an order form now, either paper or electronic?

I agree with RyanS on this one. With the limited menu on Amtrak's dining car, I usually know what I want before I even sit down, or can decide within the first 45 seconds. Yet the usual pattern is to sit and wait and wait and wait for the server to show up so they can write it on a piece of paper and carry it over (or down) to the kitchen. If there's a better way, I'm all for it. The romance of eating a meal while the scenery glides by doesn't really kick in, IMO, until you're actually eating. Sitting around wondering if the staff is aware of your existence isn't a fun way to start.
There's an incidental point here: If I'm not mistaken, back in "the day", wouldn't you fill out and hand in your check rather than "having your order taken" as we do now?

• I'm holding a protest wine and cheese tasting on my EB and CS trip in June. Giving out free wine and cheese to everyone in my sleeper car. Maybe I will even ask some trivia questions.

My thoughts??

I think the biggest losses for me as a regular long-distance passenger will be the wine and cheese tastings. It was a nice touch on the Empire Builder to help pass through the boring scenery of eastern Montana... and there was just something about the wine and cheese tasting that brought that much more to the Pacific Parlour Cars. It made you truly First Class and special. The cranberry juice cut too isn't cool... that was always my preference when it came to the juices. I can certainly live without the travel kit and the newspapers (NEVER read them... didn't care what was going on when I am on vacation).

I love Amtrak and will always ride as long as the trains are rolling... however... I see this all as a bad sign... and might make me do a driving trip here and there more often than take the train. I will still do a couple of LD trips a year because they are fun, but they're not going to be as special as they once were. I remember as a kid when they had trivia and bingo and games and the piano in the SSL cars. They're SLOWLY taking the little perks away... and it makes me less inclined to travel.

I think the biggest thing it will do... is make me take VIA more than AMTRAK when I'm in the mood for a nice long train ride. That is what I am doing this year --- VIA instead of Amtrak. And yes, the cut in amenities... and especially not having a Pacific Parlour Car the last 3 out of 4 times I've taken the Coast Starlight have played a minor factor in all of that.

I mean if you can get a VIA 50 percent off sale... and get a bedroom for 2 in the Park Car for around the same price as a bedroom on the Empire Builder (like we did with our trip coming up at the end of May this year) which are you going to pick?? The food is clearly better on VIA. They have 4 dome cars and a round-end observation car on VIA... Amtrak has just the SSL. The mattresses are a heck of a lot more comfortable on VIA. They actually have activities still for passengers going on at VIA in the cars. The OBS employees generally seemed more pleasant.

I think that will be the biggest thing for me in future years. If I'm itching for a LD train ride and can get a 50 percent off VIA sale... I'm going to do that instead of a LD trip on Amtrak. If I can't... I'll probably do an Amtrak route.

I'm just afraid the Parlour Cars will be the next cut.

i was curious, and I am pretty sure I know the answer, but on my trip out, we had vases and flowers in all the bathrooms in our car. I think those were provided by the SCA. But we also had, in every bathroom, both a big container of Lysol wipes, and a can of Febreeze air freshener. Were these provided by the SCA?

i was curious, and I am pretty sure I know the answer, but on my trip out, we had vases and flowers in all the bathrooms in our car. I think those were provided by the SCA. But we also had, in every bathroom, both a big container of Lysol wipes, and a can of Febreeze air freshener. Were these provided by the SCA?
Yes, Good SCAs take care of their Cars including the Bathrooms and Shower since they also Live in the Car (Room #1 on Superliners) for the duration of the LD Route!

Udall has no credibility after this quote "“I am proud Amtrak is cutting unnecessary spending in order to ensure the Southwest Chief can continue to serve the residents of Trinidad, Lamar and La Junta"

Sure, the 480K saved by these cuts will be enough to ENSURE the SWC going through these towns. :blink:

Udall has no credibility after this quote "“I am proud Amtrak is cutting unnecessary spending in order to ensure the Southwest Chief can continue to serve the residents of Trinidad, Lamar and La Junta"
Sure, the 480K saved by these cuts will be enough to ENSURE the SWC going through these towns. :blink:
It seems Senator Udall did not come up with that himself. He was told that by (wait for it)..., Joe Boardman. Here is the quote:

Cutting costs and eliminating those losses keeps Amtrak moving toward its goal of continuing " to serve small-town America that is being abandoned by airlines and bus companies," Boardman said, "and keep communities such as Trinidad and La Junta ... connected by rail to the rest of the nation."
Denver Post

It seems Senator Udall did not come up with that himself. He was told that by (wait for it)..., Joe Boardman. Here is the quote:

Cutting costs and eliminating those losses keeps Amtrak moving toward its goal of continuing " to serve small-town America that is being abandoned by airlines and bus companies," Boardman said, "and keep communities such as Trinidad and La Junta ... connected by rail to the rest of the nation."
Denver Post
The only congressman I know of who has actually ridden aboard a Long Distance train has been Mike Quigley (D-IL). During the most recent Midwest HSRA roundtable meeting (Jan 30), He stated that he has ridden aboard the Capitol Ltd. Judging from his facial expression, he was not impressed. Udall probably has never been aboard the SW Chief, or any LD train for that matter.

just a current amenities report from spk-sea today on the eb. no flowers in the diner. still cranberry juice, chocolate squares, and spokesman-review(spk paper)in the sleeper. also for those who boarded up the line champagne/sparkling cider based on stock i saw in the sca's room. also, new emergency snack pax. no more rubber cheese. just shortbread cookies, bag of almonds and bag of goldfish like crackers.

just a current amenities report from spk-sea today on the eb. no flowers in the diner. still cranberry juice, chocolate squares, and spokesman-review(spk paper)in the sleeper. also for those who boarded up the line champagne/sparkling cider based on stock i saw in the sca's room. also, new emergency snack pax. no more rubber cheese. just shortbread cookies, bag of almonds and bag of goldfish like crackers.
Yarrow, are those snack packs standard issue? I only remember them from when my SCA on the EB was Charles.

Yarrow, are those snack packs standard issue? I only remember them from when my SCA on the EB was Charles.
i remember charles too. cool guy. as far as the snack packs, my experience has been that when the train is 6+ hours late they hand them out to everybody. we were only around 4 hours late into sea today and they brought out big boxes of them anyway. but i believe they only give them out on late trains not for a sleeper amenity

i remember charles too. cool guy. as far as the snack packs, my experience has been that when the train is 6+ hours late they hand them out to everybody. we were only around 4 hours late into sea today and they brought out big boxes of them anyway. but i believe they only give them out on late trains not for a sleeper amenity
Never heard of them and all 4 LD trains (Empire Builder) I've ever been on were 6+ hours late. That must be a SEA thing as I've only been in the PDX sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back