Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you think you have captive customers, it's worth cutting your profit margin a little to have happy customers rather than annoyed customers. Telephone companies and Greyhound (among others) have learned this to their chagrin.

This doesn't require fancy. I've seen a great attitude out of most Amtrak employees. But I have been encountering what I consider a wholly unprofessional, customer-hostile attitude out of bits and pieces of Amtrak, *particularly* in the dining service, and that's not good for the long-term future of Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the definitions of "quality" in large operations is reduction of variance and surprises. Most prefer lack of surprises of a negative kind more than one of positive kind. Unfortunately if a culture of reduced variance is fostered it would mean less of both kinds. However, if the baseline that is maintained is of a high standard then that lack of variation would not be as much of a concern. Unfortunately Amtrak has historically had a problem in reducing variance in service delivery, and that is what needs fixing without racing to the least common denominator.

I recently completed a Southwest Chief trip where the sleeper attendant told me that it was not his job to make down berths or to assist with luggage. When we arrived at our destination station he was nowhere to be found. On the return the attendant (another person) did everything perfectly. This is the kind of erratic quality that is the real problem.

I recently completed a Southwest Chief trip where the sleeper attendant told me that it was not his job to make down berths or to assist with luggage
What? That's astonishing. Did you ask what, exactly, did he think *was* his job?
This is a guy who is obviously counting the days until retirement. He's a real exception to the usually excellent SWC crews. On a previous trip, on arrival Albuquerque about an hour before departure, he let off his passengers and then told waiting passengers they could board 10 minutes before departure, and then disappeared. I have written him up more than once.

I've mentioned Rion, the SCA on CONO, in another post. He is a perfect example of above and beyond. My wife has some mobility issues (spinal fusion, trouble with stairs, etc), so we traveled in our bedroom and brought along a walker - just in case. No, she didn't need the walker going from car to car, and she loved her first LD trip.

BUT...

When we detrained at NOL, Rion had already taken our suitcase off the luggage rack, and it was sitting on the platform, waiting for us.

The contrast between what we experienced and what you describe is amazing. That kind of crappy attitude is what turns people away and costs money. Rion's attitude is what makes you want to come back.

In fact, I had Rion on a trip last August and really was super impressed. So when I rode the CONO this January, I was so disappointed Rion was not on board. A very good consolation though was that my SCA Kevin told me Rion had trained him. Rion does have a Facebook page 58 Sleeper Guy. So look him up if you are on Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back