alcohol in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mittelgr124.gif

Sometimes a person becomes "instant idiot....just add alcohol". I was on the CZ in October and there was a "party" going on in the lower level of coach. People kept getting up, going downstairs and then coming back up again. I think they were using drugs. Nothing that could be "smelled" by the pax or crew. They weren't "bothering" me as much as it bothered me on what was going on in the lower level. There was constant "moving" around by people late at night and that got old. Thank the Good Lord for Tylenol PM! :lol:
Another good reason why I and many frequent train travelers book sleepers. There is no way I could deal with the situation you went through.

I think that discretion and plain common sense should apply with regard to alcohol in coach.

Although I never travel in coach anymore, I have many times in the past.

I fondly recall my first trip aboard the Crescent from NYC Penn to New Orleans back in 2003.

I was in coach and the train was about half full throughout. I had my own private stock packed in my overnight bag, Vodka and Bourbon. I would usually purchase one drink in the lounge, and then refill from my own stock. We had a fun trip, and I had a lot of fun talking to other travelers, who also had their own stock I might add. It was like a two-day party! They even had, gasp!, a smoking section!!!

No one was drunk and obnoxious, and it was a totally fun trip.

I am sure the crew knew that everyone had their own booze in coach, and I never saw any of them say anything to anybody.

I think if you are discreet and behave yourself, you'll be fine.

Bill

B)

Sometimes a person becomes "instant idiot....just add alcohol". I was on the CZ in October and there was a "party" going on in the lower level of coach. People kept getting up, going downstairs and then coming back up again. I think they were using drugs. Nothing that could be "smelled" by the pax or crew. They weren't "bothering" me as much as it bothered me on what was going on in the lower level. There was constant "moving" around by people late at night and that got old. Thank the Good Lord for Tylenol PM! :lol:
Another good reason why I and many frequent train travelers book sleepers. There is no way I could deal with the situation you went through.

It seems like it would just be easier on everyone if all passengers would just follow Amtrak's rules.

I think that discretion and plain common sense should apply with regard to alcohol in coach.Although I never travel in coach anymore, I have many times in the past.

I fondly recall my first trip aboard the Crescent from NYC Penn to New Orleans back in 2003.

I was in coach and the train was about half full throughout. I had my own private stock packed in my overnight bag, Vodka and Bourbon. I would usually purchase one drink in the lounge, and then refill from my own stock. We had a fun trip, and I had a lot of fun talking to other travelers, who also had their own stock I might add. It was like a two-day party! They even had, gasp!, a smoking section!!!

I am sure the crew knew that everyone had their own booze in coach, and I never saw any of them say anything to anybody.

Bill
I am not certain I can trust someone who was drinking that "No one was drunk and obnoxious."

I would have to hear it from someone sober. I am willing to bet after a few drinks your judgment of what is drunk and obnoxious is probably impaired.

We had a fun trip, and I had a lot of fun talking to other travelers, who also had their own stock I might add. It was like a two-day party! ...No one was drunk and obnoxious, and it was a totally fun trip.
B)
"Two day party": gee, that is just what a family travelling in coach would like from their neighbors.

This thread will not sell too many coach seats in LD trains except to those who just want to get plastered enroute.

I'm sorry, but if you think this forum will accept personal attacks on our members you are sorely mistaken. Our membership will not stand nor respect your opinion unless you have ground to stand on.

Did I miss something somewhere? What members and member ship is Battalion referring to?

i'm thinking the guest post was calling the quoted poster obnoxious. personally, i haven't seen any obnoxious posts in this thread, except for the guest 'attacker'.

perhaps he/she didn't mean it that way. i can't speak for his meaning.

The way I read the statement the Guest was attacking PRR, which is not acceptable IMO.

I think that discretion and plain common sense should apply with regard to alcohol in coach.Although I never travel in coach anymore, I have many times in the past.

Bill

I have seen tihs happen many times on the airlines. No big deal.

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Missouri Mules / Ann Rutledge stop in Hermann Missouri on their route between Kansas City and St. Louis. Hermann is in the center of Missouri Wine Country and there are several wineries within the city itself. As such, it is a popular day trip. Several years ago on one of my trips to St. Louis there was a large group traveling to Hermann for a day of wine tasting. They had started their tasting early, having brought several bottles of wine, beer and vodka onto the train, which they were drinking in the coach seating area. The staff was aware of their drinking. Despite the fact that they were a little louder than typical passengers, they didn't cause any issues and were left alone by the conductor and staff.

While there is a policy on booze, it isn't always enforced and I agree with this. The policy appears to be in place to deal with situations where a passenger's drinking is causing problems.

last time i rode amtrack, back in the late 80's-early 90's, my wife and i would bring a small container of schnapps, and discretely drink it in our coach seats.i would like to do this again for my upcoming trip, but i found this on the amtrak site:

You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.

has this rule always been in effect? is it strictly enforced? consequences?

in a way, i'm glad, because i don't like obnoxious drunks...but would i really get in trouble just having a few sips of a 'clear liquid'?
Actually, another poster had it correct:

Private stockYou also may bring aboard your own private stock of alcoholic beverages and consume such beverages subject to the following limitations:

* You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.

* You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.
"Public areas" in this case refers to anywhere outside your immediate seat..

I've had to put several people off the train (in one case in very cold conditions and in custody of the police) when they have consumed too much. Having years experience in the restaurant industry, it was always hard to cut someone off as an LSA, but rules is rules..

Best advice: bring miniatures, not large bottles - please!

Just last week on a coach trip on the CZ from Chicago to Reno I took along a four pack of wine coolers. I usually bring the small bottles, ask the lounge car attendent for a cup of ice and drink out of the cup. With the outrageous price of alcohol on the train, I have no problem "sneaking" in a few small bottles to unwind before dinner. $4.50 for the cheapest beer and$12 for a small bottle of wine? Really!

$4.50 for a beer in such a captive audience as an Amtrak train is really not too bad. How much does the average person pay for a beer at a major league sporting event ? Here in Detroit a beer is about $7 - 8. In a average bar about $3 - $4. I personely don't complain about Amtrak's prices, it's more of an issue of a HUGE line for the Cafe' for me.

The first time I traveled in BC, I had no idea that rule was in place. I also did not realize that Amtrak served drinks. I got a free coffee (BC) and very openly dug out a mini-bottle of Bailey's from my bag, offered one to my seat mate (she declined), and poured it into my coffee. Then when the attendant came around with the trash, I openly threw the small Bailey's bottle in. Nobody said anything! Granted, they probably didn't notice. It was a six hour ride, and I had two coffees, one with kahlua and one with Bailey's. I wasn't even tipsy, but it was so refreshing to have a drink!

I wonder, if they realize you have no idea you are breaking the rules, if the attendants decide it's just not worth it to embarrass you. Now that I know the rules, I no longer drink my own stuff in BC. I am a reformed character.

jeriwho

I wanted to know if you could bring your own alcohol on board not to consume on board but to have in my distination hotel room, just wanted to know if Amtrak would allow that?

I wanted to know if you could bring your own alcohol on board not to consume on board but to have in my distination hotel room, just wanted to know if Amtrak would allow that?
Sure, as long as you are at least 21 and leave it in your bag.

There has been a whole host of old threads bumped by guests lately. I guess the good news is that they know how to search the forum?

Old thread or not, it is still relevant - especially for people who have not been using the forum too long.

I always wondered if the rest room was considered public. Not while I'm in it, I hope!

It is ludicrous to suggest that folks who want to have their own drink must buy a sleeper to do so. That is certainly an elite attitude.

I think that to suggest that rules be followed to the letter of the law may only be done by those who ALWAYS come to a FULL stop at stop signs; who never avoided sales tax by ordering on line with one of those loop hole sites, etc etc. You get the idea.

My idea goes along with what I perceive to be the majority opinion here, i.e. have a discreet drink or two (if you want) and don't behave badly! I have done so for years. I mostly am quiet anyway, and cannot think of an instance where I was offensive to any other passenger. I certainly have never been warned nor reprimanded by any train staff. That said, on any overnight train, while riding coach (which I do often, not being the sort of person who makes a decision to buy a sleeper based on such a silly criterion) I have taken small sips of a flask in my coach seat when no one is seated next to me, and on other occasions have gone to the rest room and poured a little into my travel coffee mug, and gone back to may seat: "no harm, no foul".

BUT:

Once I was on the Crescent, Northbound. Leaving NOL. The line boarding the train was FULL of excited LSU alumni football fans on their way to to Birmingham for a game against Alabama - apparently an annual rivalry. They were armed with huge coolers and picnic baskets. It was about 9 am or so. The second the train pulled out, everyone in the party began drinking and by noon it was the most obnoxious scene I have ever been forced to endure. I complained to car attendants repeatedly and they shrugged and apologized and said Amtrak tolerates this annual event. Had I known what I now know, I would have written up a full description and sent it to Amtrak expecting a voucher for the full price of my ticket.

So yeah, I can see the value of the rule. But I am going to break it all I want, with that attitude that to do so in my way does not violate the intent: which is to keep folks from becoming obnoxious and offensive. I am always happy to see those ones ejected from the train.

Oh yeah, I say bring some booze and be discreet, who cares if you are in coach, sleeper, whatever. I need booze to sleep on the train, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back