alcohol in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a Zephyr trip just before Christmas last year one guy was being a bit loud, using a tirade of 4 letter words and apparently giving the cafe car attendant some abuse. The senior conductor made an announcement over the PA system regarding alcohol consumption and foul language before having a strong word with the offender. He actually said to him 'any more and your off at the next stop'.

Fair enough. One persons stupidity should not ruin it for the majority. Regarding drink and how it affects people I'm afraid its the same wherever you go in the World. There will always be a sizable minority who turn into complete morons after a few drinks. The language becomes choice, their kids run amok, any plea for them to tone it down is met with a look of disbelief or threats. At least in the USA you seem to take a dim view of those types.

I opened a bottle of Andre blush champagne on the Keystone Express in 2009 with my parents to celebrate 25 years of watching high speed Amtrak action at Rahway, NJ, just as we were passing by....guess what station???.... lol lol LOL *$25,000 Pyramid anyone*... RAHWAY!! We did it as sneakily as possible, as long as one doesn't get obnoxious or go about it as if to boldly dare, just pour yourself one, sip away, and enjoy!!

Peace and joy to all.

I have always brought my own supply of booze into both sleeper and B/C. But I also purchase a drink or two from the lounge, just to give Amtrak a little more of my business. The main reason why I bring my own is because of the long and slow moving line for the Cafe on most of the DET-CHI runs. If I was to purchase 6 drinks from the lounge one at a time, I would be standing in line for well over an hour. Besides I dont think you would be thrown off a train if you did get caught sipping your own cocktail. The Conductor would probably first explain the rule and ask you to refrain from drinking your own stock of booze.

I am VERY CAREFULL with both how I pack my booze and how I act when drinking on the train. I always pre-mix my drinks in 20 - 24oz pop bottles. One of my favorite drinks is Southern Comfort and Diet Mountain Dew. Since M/D and SoCo are very similar in color, it looks like I'm drinking a bottle of straight M/D. the same goes for rum or whiskey and Coke in a Coke bottle, screwdriver in a O/J bottle, and so on....

Notice how I said that I'm VERY CAREFULL how I act too. I'm the type of guy who can drink a 1/2 fifth and doesn't act any different then when I'm sober, except for maybe being a little more talkative. Most people that get themselves into trouble on a train are those who act like jack asses. So if you are the type of person who doesn't act like a fool after drinking a few, then I would say go for it.
So agree. We always take our own whether in business or sleeper. We don't get rowdy or bother anyone and we also buy a round just because. When people get sloshed and annoying I'm all for putting them off!

* You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.* You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.
I've always thought Amtrak's language on this was pretty clear, and it has been my interpretation that "public areas" translates to coach class as well as the cafe and/or dining car. It's always been my mentality to not risk it, especially if it's already available onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
* You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.* You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.
I've always thought Amtrak's language on this was pretty clear, and it has been my interpretation that "public areas" translates to coach class as well as the cafe and/or dining car. It's always been my mentality to not risk it, especially if it's already available onboard.
Assuming one doesn't have alcoholism or other mental illness, this is the least dangerous risk you'll ever take.

Of course, if you buy one from the lounge attendant, consume it, then make an occasional visit to the restroom where you refill it from a flask that you have not held out to public view, there is unlikely to be an issue in any event unless your behavior becomes obnoxious, in which case you deserve to end up off the train.
Actually, you can't get away with bringing your own booze on an airplane and should not on a train either. There have been plenty of instances in which a coach passenger drinking their own hooch has become so bothersome to other passengers that they have had to throw them off the train. Unfortunately, sometimes the other passengers do not want to get involved or are afraid to call this to someone's attention and the situation becomes worse.

If you need a drink occasionally, that is why the lounge car is on the train and Amtrak needs the revenue in Food and Beverage.
I often bring my own alcohol on a plane. . . Have mixed drinks right in front of the flight attendants. . . Never had an issue.

Of course, if you buy one from the lounge attendant, consume it, then make an occasional visit to the restroom where you refill it from a flask that you have not held out to public view, there is unlikely to be an issue in any event unless your behavior becomes obnoxious, in which case you deserve to end up off the train.
Actually, you can't get away with bringing your own booze on an airplane and should not on a train either. There have been plenty of instances in which a coach passenger drinking their own hooch has become so bothersome to other passengers that they have had to throw them off the train. Unfortunately, sometimes the other passengers do not want to get involved or are afraid to call this to someone's attention and the situation becomes worse.

If you need a drink occasionally, that is why the lounge car is on the train and Amtrak needs the revenue in Food and Beverage.
I often bring my own alcohol on a plane. . . Have mixed drinks right in front of the flight attendants. . . Never had an issue.
Hooray for old threads!

In any case, I bring my own booze on board airliners every single time I have a flight over a few hours. It always brings a smirk or a light conversation from the TSA agents manning the X-ray booth (about the only time I get a non-stern reaction from them) when they see my 1-ounce Mickey bottles of various libations neatly stowed inside the quart-sized Zip-Lock baggies. And I've never gotten a stern reprimand from a steward(ess).

As for Amtrak, I've 'flasked' things several times in Coach and sleeper brings about a bottle to enjoy. When it comes to the CS and the Pacific Parlor Car, having something of your own is allowed without so much as a shrug in my experience. As with anything else in life, moderation is key! :cool:

Maybe TSA is equally inconsistent in enforcing rules as Amtrak but I flew to Las Vegas and used my allotted quantity of liquids to carry on 5 one oz bottles of vodka. They were in the standard size ziploc bag open and available for inspection at security. I made no attempt to hide them from the flight attendant while I was asking for a cup of ice to chill said vodka. No one said a word.

I've consumed my own stock in the SSL many times concealed in plain sight in a water bottler. Never a word said. While against the rules if done quietly, discreetly and not to excess it can be done rather easily. To the OP, I'd say go for it.

Like so many things, the rule came about because people abused the ability to bring their own booze onboard. (I remember traveling coach before the rule and yeah, there were some pretty out-of-control people, especially if you faced long delays). I remember one woman screaming in the lounge car about how they couldn't cut her off, as her father "owned Conrail" (uh-huh) and would fire all of them and end Amtrak. I don't know if they put her off at the next stop as they were threatening to do, I got up and left the lounge car....to go back to my coach with the jovial frat guys finishing a bottle of Southern Comfort.

That wasn't a fun trip....Christmas 2000 after the ice storm, we were delayed some 7 hours en route, after the train itself being late.

On the Pacific Surfliner, people are always very responsible on the train, except for the 7-week period when the Del Mar Fairgrounds Horse Racing season is in session... it's gotten so bad that I've seen the line for the cafe stretch all of the way into the next car (on the Amfleet consist). But it's normal to bring SOME of your own alcohol aboard. When my sister, my mom, and I went up to Ventura during Carmageddon (July 16-17), she bought one small bottle from the cafe and one brought one of her own, so she could refill. For a four hour train ride, that's reasonable, especially if on a mini-vacation.

Two things: as a Conductor, if I see you´ve brought your own alcohol on board, I´ll give you two choices: put it in the trash immediately, or get off the train at the next stop. Those are the rules, and they are unambiguous.

Also, I´m no teetotaler, but why are there so many people who apparently can´t survive 2 or 3 or ever 4 hours without alcohol??? I think that would fall under the clinical definition of alcoholism, though I´m sure there will be many people protesting loudly that it is their Libertarian right to drink when\wherever they please...

>>so many people who apparently can´t survive 2 or 3 or ever 4 hours without alcohol?<<

3 4 hours, yeah - but on a LD trip of 2 or 3 days, I can't afford to buy as much as I'd like to drink - without any inappropriate behavior...

I'll just make sure to not make either of us unhappy by being indiscreet...

Re: the TSA, it's not illegal to bring booze aboard, otherwise duty free would really be hurting. You bring whatever in your baggie through screening, and any amount you purchase after security.

It's just illegal to consume it unless it's served by the flight attendant. (And yes, this is a loophole if you can sweet-talk the FA into pouring it for you.)

The discussion gets muddled because (a) what the law is, (b) what people think the law should be, and © what you can get away with all get discussed at once.

As for the law, you can't consume any booze in public areas that you brought yourself. What you can get away with is another matter.

Two things: as a Conductor, if I see you´ve brought your own alcohol on board, I´ll give you two choices: put it in the trash immediately, or get off the train at the next stop. Those are the rules, and they are unambiguous.

Also, I´m no teetotaler, but why are there so many people who apparently can´t survive 2 or 3 or ever 4 hours without alcohol??? I think that would fall under the clinical definition of alcoholism, though I´m sure there will be many people protesting loudly that it is their Libertarian right to drink when\wherever they please...
It's against the rules; and I respect you for enforcing them. But I think you are jumping to the wrong conclusion. A nightcap in the lounge car isn't a sign of alcoholism, just one of the things that separates train travel from less civilized modes of transport.

This is one of those type of rules where my attitude is: you (Amtrak) made the rule, so it's your job to enforce it. If you do, you won't get any libertarian (or bleeding heart liberal) complaint from me; but don't expect me to enforce it.

I want to bring a bottle of johnny walker gold label to my grandpa u think if i wrap it up and put in my overhead carry on with my clothing they will bother me? i have no intention of drinking it on the train i just want to bring it to my pap as a gift?

I want to bring a bottle of johnny walker gold label to my grandpa u think if i wrap it up and put in my overhead carry on with my clothing they will bother me? i have no intention of drinking it on the train i just want to bring it to my pap as a gift?
That will not be a problem, unless you are under 21. One is not prohibited from carrying an unopend bottle aboard. The prohibition is consuming 'private stock' in coach.

Can you quote the rule that says you can’t bring your own alcohol on board without being forced to throw it away by some conductor with a chip on their shoulder? I’ve never found such a rule on Amtrak’s own website. All I’ve been able to find so far is that you can’t consume it in "public" spaces like coach cars.

Also, I´m no teetotaler, but why are there so many people who apparently can´t survive 2 or 3 or ever 4 hours without alcohol?
This isn’t a domestic flight we’re talking about. It takes Amtrak a full twelve hours just to reach the next state from where I live. It can take Amtrak three days to reach my final destination, assuming everything is running on time. Don’t get me wrong, I can and do go months without a drop, but when I’m on a trip I’m probably celebrating a rare vacation opportunity. Or I might simply be on my way to visit with my family. In either situation I may wish to imbibe. :lol:

So get a room, right? Most of the time I do, but sometimes there are no rooms available, at any cost. So buy your liquor from Amtrak, right? Unfortunately Amtrak simply doesn’t sell most of the brands I prefer and even when they do they can run out. So simply go without right? Yep, that’s generally what I would do in that situation. I just find it curious that a company which overtly advertises and sells liquor to its passengers just so happens to be super suspicious of the intention of anyone who brings their own liquor aboard. As if one bottle of liquor is substantially less disruptive than another identical bottle based entirely on where it came from.

Re: the TSA, it's not illegal to bring booze aboard, otherwise duty free would really be hurting. You bring whatever in your baggie through screening, and any amount you purchase after security. It's just illegal to consume it unless it's served by the flight attendant. (And yes, this is a loophole if you can sweet-talk the FA into pouring it for you.)
That used to be the rule many years ago and it made perfect sense as it focused entirely on preventing intoxication rather than just on preventing people from choosing their own brands and sources. However, to my knowledge there is no US airline that still allows their flight attendants to serve alcohol you brought on board yourself. In the case of alcohol consumption the FAA has a reciprocal rule system that allows the most restrictive rule to trump all others, even when that rule originates with the airline itself. So long as the rule is more restrictive than the FAA rule it becomes the FAA's active rule on that airline by prior arrangement. Thus, there is no "loophole" or any other way to legally consume liquor on a plane besides buying it from the airline's own tiny little selection of overpriced liquor, either at the time of serving or through the purchase of a premium cabin ticket. On the other hand, the one positive side to America's care-not and do-nothing flight attendant pools is that they have a heck of a time ever seeing any infractions while hiding out in the galley.

It shouldn't be a problem. We brought an entire gift bag full of those little airplane-size liquor bottles when we went to ABQ for Christmas. We simply left them wrapped up in our suitcase. As long as you leave it in your bag, nobody will bother you.

Well if I'm on the train its a vacation and I like my beer. I also prefer my own brand selection and pricing and hate lining up. But I've never had a problem - just be discreet, friendly and respectful. One more thing I like about trains - and I'll leave the driving to a well trained and sober crew.

Well if I'm on the train its a vacation and I like my beer. I also prefer my own brand selection and pricing and hate lining up. But I've never had a problem - just be discreet, friendly and respectful. One more thing I like about trains - and I'll leave the driving to a well trained and sober crew.
How is disrespect for your fellow passengers and violating Amtrak regulations being "respectful" ?

I enjoy the ocassional drink, but "if I'm on a train, it's a vacation" ~ as it is for many families with children.

If you can't travel without drinking your beer, get a room; or Amtrak may not for you.

Since this post is being revisited.....

I may have posted this before in one of the other alcohol related discussions here.

On ALL of my LD trips this past spring as well as my evening Pere Marquette trips, there was never a problem with bringing the beverage of your choice - purchased onboard in the Cafe Car - to your seat.

A lot of people eat and drink their onboard purchases at their seats in Coach.

As for the Pere Marquette, there's no where at all to enjoy an Cafe Car beer/cocktail unless you bring it to your seat and... you know what?

I get picked up at the station and I really enjoy my cocktail/beer time on the way home. :)

As for families with children, non-drinkers of any persuasion, or the easily offended - their special needs are not my problem or responsibility.

Here is the only alcohol policy that I can find on Amtrak.com.

Note that the rules pertaining to consumption are specific to 'Private Stock', ie: the hooch you purchased somewhere other than onboard from Amtrak.

Alcoholic Beverages

Beverage service

We serve alcoholic beverages onboard trains in most Dining, Lounge and Cafe Cars.

Private stock

You may bring aboard your own private stock of alcoholic beverages subject to the following limitations:

• You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.
  • You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.

But he implies he brings his own (not bought on the train) beer to drink in coach. That is not being respectful of the policy.

But he implies he brings his own (not bought on the train) beer to drink in coach. That is not being respectful of the policy.
I don't know if you were referring to my post but we can definitely agree on your point. :)

Then again, I don't carry any food or beverage on board and have no problem buying what I want.

I was prompted to post based on the assumption (in the post below) that drinking in front of 'families with children' was somehow disrespectful.

I also didn't care for this little nugget: If you can't travel without drinking your beer, get a room; or Amtrak may not for you.

But, perhaps, he was referring to having *personal* beer, another point I can agree on since it's part of Amtrak's policy.

How is disrespect for your fellow passengers and violating Amtrak regulations being "respectful" ?

I enjoy the ocassional drink, but "if I'm on a train, it's a vacation" ~ as it is for many families with children.

If you can't travel without drinking your beer, get a room; or Amtrak may not for you.

It's pretty clear to me that he's talking about violating the rules and bringing his on onboard to consume in coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back