ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it come up on 66, or as a special move?

I would think that they would just move it up whenever they wanted, and not have to worry about switching on a revenue train in the middle of the night.

The clock on the annoucement board reads 3:0x AM

I'm with Ryan and that I think they just had 42 bring it up from WAS

Did it come up on 66, or as a special move?I would think that they would just move it up whenever they wanted, and not have to worry about switching on a revenue train in the middle of the night.
Sorry, I read to fast. Someone mentioned 66, and I thought that was how it came up. I have no idea if indeed that's how it moved. Although if one didn't want to do a special movement, then 66 would indeed be the train to put it on, as there is so much slack time in that train's schedule.

I just received a message that another ACS-64, AMTK 603, is being moved to Oakland, California today. It is to be placed placed on #6 tomorrow if nothing goes wrong. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Trainorders now has a thread confirming 603 has started its journey. If it does get on the California Zephyr tomorrow, that would put it in Denver on Sunday and Chicago on Monday. I'm really hoping I can see it on Monday, but I might have to somewhere else that day. In which case, I hoping there will be a delay and it won't get on #6 tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The single ACS64 has started test runs on the NEC. It is running south from Wilmington. It's acceleration performance with 8 Amfleets is turning out to be considerably superior to that of even Acelas. Reportedly from 0 to 125mph in 3/4 th mile!

The single ACS64 has started test runs on the NEC. It is running south from Wilmington. It's acceleration performance with 8 Amfleets is turning out to be considerably superior to that of even Acelas. Reportedly from 0 to 125mph in 3/4 th mile!
Jis, when I saw the video posted on Youtube of the Acceleration, I made a comment to my Dad that the ACS-64 units may give the AE sets a run for their money for Acceleration. One of the only places on the NEC where AE and NER's go from 0-100+ is outside of Back Bay and Route 128 in Massachusetts.

Is that what I heard screaming by outside? Or maybe that's why we're getting more dead skunk smells lately. :giggle:

Jis, when I saw the video posted on Youtube of the Acceleration, I made a comment to my Dad that the ACS-64 units may give the AE sets a run for their money for Acceleration. One of the only places on the NEC where AE and NER's go from 0-100+ is outside of Back Bay and Route 128 in Massachusetts.
Not to mention from Metropark going towards New York, and also starting from BWI in either direction, and New Carrollton towards New York (no Acela though since none stops at New Carrollton), and of course from Trenton towards New York too.

I think the one thing I keep in mind with Metropark and Trenton is that the trains have to go through interlockings to get back to the inside track. BWI and New Carrollton there IIRC there aren't many interlocking around there. A few but not many. So they take off. At BWI trains go through at a decent clip as well.

I hope videos of the test runs on the NEC show up soon! There is a brand new

leaving the Siemens plant in Sacramento to be sent eastward.
If the acceleration of the ACS-64 is that good, it would be nice to see some reductions in the Regional trip times once the ACS-64s replace all the current locomotives. However, I expect Amtrak will initially use the new locos with better acceleration and reliability (we hope) to improve on-time performance stats on the NEC. Then tweak the schedule times as track, station, and capacity improvement projects on the NEC are completed.

I think the one thing I keep in mind with Metropark and Trenton is that the trains have to go through interlockings to get back to the inside track. BWI and New Carrollton there IIRC there aren't many interlocking around there. A few but not many. So they take off. At BWI trains go through at a decent clip as well.
One should also keep in mind the 30mph curve out of Back Bay towards Providence. The Metropark crossovers are moving frog 45 or 60mph and are close to the platform so should have minimal impact on acceleration. Trenton is also I think 45mph but not moving frog, but not sure, and it is right next to the platform. It is slated for upgrade as part of the NEC high speed project in NJ.

The real problem with those crossovers is not at the departure end of things but at the arrival end, because the outdated signaling system forces the train to slow down to approach medium through the entire previous block. This will eventually get remedied with full deployment of ACSES and re positioning of block boundaries relative to interlockings so that the advance home signals are at more reasonable distance.

I don't know . The model is kind of ugly to me . But its the headlights that I cant get use to.

The stongest acceleration of any train I can remember was when an HHP8 powered Keystone revved up exiting the S-curve in Elizabeth. They were assigned obviously to light, easy, low risk trains during 2004, when diesel power took over from Philly to Harrisburg. The acceleration was so tremendous, like that of an airplane, my head pushed into the seat, and I remember getting a 'high' from this. We tore through Linden and Rahway stations at 125 in the three car Amfleet consist, I'll never forget it.

Hearing this about the ACS-64 is great news; not only will it feel good, but it has large practical value, that is, in minimizing the effects of stopping.

Back