#5 (11) Held up by flooding in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't go to Cheyenne. They will use the Borie cutoff. Going to Cheyenne would involve a backup move. No reason to do that. They will go through Laramie, Rock Springs and Green River in Wyoming then onto Ogden UT through Echo Canyon across the Wasatch Range. Green River is the crew change point.

They won't go to Cheyenne. They will use the Borie cutoff. Going to Cheyenne would involve a backup move. No reason to do that. They will go through Laramie, Rock Springs and Green River in Wyoming then onto Ogden UT through Echo Canyon across the Wasatch Range. Green River is the crew change point.
UP may just have to put these on the point to get the Zephyrs safely and quickly through the Wasatch!

train orders has a Post that quotes an article from The Denver Post where a spokesperson for UP says that they expect to have the Track Work in the Mountains up to the Moffet Tunne done in a Couple of Weeks!l! :eek: It goes on to say that now that the Denver to Cheyenne Route(actuallyvia the Borie Cutoff) but close for todays Media!) is Open that they can run Trains carrying Fill down to Denver to start Work on the Mountain Route! A total of 38 Trains a day (36 UP Freights and the 2 Amtrak Zephyrs) will be running from Denver to Cheyene(Borie) till the work on the Mountain Route is Completed! It doesnt mention the Bus Bridge from Grand Junction to Denver for the Stations on this Route??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. We will have to park ourselves in the SSL to get views of the front range since our roomette is on the right side of the train.

Thanks. We will have to park ourselves in the SSL to get views of the front range since our roomette is on the right side of the train.
You won't know which side of the train your roomette is on until you board. Superliners can face either way.

I was in the CZ in Nov 2011 headed west and I did not see snow till we came out of Moffet tunnel. Though there were skiers nearby, I don't recall there being a lot of snow. Hopefully UP can get things repaired before any big snows.
The line will be reopened well before any massive snows. And, in the words of Men's Warehouse ex-CEO George Zimmerman, "I guarantee it."

Thanks for the updates The wife and I leave this Sunday CLT to MDW on Southwest catch the EB to SEA for couple days and then SC to EMY for a couple of days and then catch the CZ 10/03 back to CHI for the flight home on Sunday 10/06 Would like to travel on the CZ route across the Mts and tunnels of Co as this is our first but not looking good for this trip, but we will sit back and enjoy.
As of today, the Amtrak website is still blocking ticket sales to stations on the regular route through Colorado. That situation might change before October 3, but at the moment, my guess is that your CZ will take the Wyoming detour.

UP may just have to put these on the point to get the Zephyrs safely and quickly through the Wasatch!
Fortunately 2 P42s generate almost the same HP as the third generation GTELs and can run at a considerably higher speed. Where they fall short is in tractive effort, by a third, but that is not that important for a 10 - 12 car Superliner train.

If it takes the Wyoming detour then coming into Denver from the east you will see the front range on your right, and departing towards Cheyenne (Borie) you will see it on your left. AFAIR through Weber and Echo Canyons across the Wasatch in one of them left side is better and in the other the right side is better. Across the Continental Divide, side does not matter much.
From Ogden to Salt Lake City, the spectacular Wasatch Range will be on your left.

Dave's Depot Grand Junction Colorado - Waiting for account to be approved

In the mean time YES WE CARRY COKE PRODUCTS!! LOL And we know Amtrak only had Pepsi, so we are always stocked up on Coke. Also all kind of drinks, snack, sundries and souvenirs, including the very popular Roue Books.

Sadly, today is our last day open for a few weeks (hopefully that is all) while they fix the section seen in all the pictures above. Today is the last day for the bus-bridge, as thy Wyoming route will be open and running starting tomorrow. We are TOLD, by UP, that it will only take a few weeks to have the Moffat Section repaired. I do not see how that is possible, but I do know they want that section repaired as fast as possible. Hopefully I will be able to get more information in the future from this discussion board. Thanks to all who post and share in here.

Happy Rails!

A report says that UP expects to have the route open in about two weeks. They will be running 38 trains a day up there with fill for the wash out.

Dave's Depot Grand Junction Colorado - Waiting for account to be approved

In the mean time YES WE CARRY COKE PRODUCTS!! LOL And we know Amtrak only had Pepsi, so we are always stocked up on Coke. Also all kind of drinks, snack, sundries and souvenirs, including the very popular Roue Books.

Sadly, today is our last day open for a few weeks (hopefully that is all) while they fix the section seen in all the pictures above. Today is the last day for the bus-bridge, as thy Wyoming route will be open and running starting tomorrow. We are TOLD, by UP, that it will only take a few weeks to have the Moffat Section repaired. I do not see how that is possible, but I do know they want that section repaired as fast as possible. Hopefully I will be able to get more information in the future from this discussion board. Thanks to all who post and share in here.

Happy Rails!
And, your registration has been approved. Look forward to your updates.

Engineer, that is good to know! They will need a LOT of fill for that spot

OK, we are now officially on here lol. Hopefully it will only take a few weeks to get this line back in action. We will be hurting with no business while they work on it. A little information on our store. We are (or so we are told) the only store within a station, on the California Zephyr Routh. We carry drinks, (COKE PRODUCTS too! ), snacks, sundries and all kinds of Colorad, Amtrak and train related souvenirs including the VERY popular route books. . Hats, t-shirts, magnets post cards and shot glasses as well. And lots more. Free coffee every day. We sure hope to see some of you through the store once this route through Colorado is back in action.https://www.facebook.com/DavesDepotGrandJunctionColorado

^ I like Dave'sDepot...he's got spirit.

I know that Wyoming's route pales in comparison to Colorado, but is anyone else slightly excited to see Amtrak on a historic line like this?

EDIT: Just saw another thread...looks like this is more common than I realized!

^ I like Dave'sDepot...he's got spirit.

I know that Wyoming's route pales in comparison to Colorado, but is anyone else slightly excited to see Amtrak on a historic line like this?
I am. The book I picked out for next week's trip is about the building of the transcontinental RR. Nice timing. Sad for my wife who hasn't done the Colorado route, though.

And Amtrak Blue, I should have mentioned that we are in the transdorm, so we have the advantage of knowing which way we're viewing.

I'm so happy to see that the bus detour is over with! I leaving Sunday for Chicago and am now feeling more at ease about the trip. This is the first time I'm making it solo, so I was getting freaked out at having to switch back and forth between buses and trains.

I am considering myself lucky to take the other route on the train now, since others have mentioned it is beautiful too.

The Overland Route is very pretty, but don't expect the same, in your face, dramatic scenery as the regular route. Lots of distant mountain views - while the deer and the antelope play near the train. Still, a very nice ride and MUCH, MUCH better than a bustitution.

We await your trip reports!

The Overland Route is very pretty, but don't expect the same, in your face, dramatic scenery as the regular route. Lots of distant mountain views - while the deer and the antelope play near the train. Still, a very nice ride and MUCH, MUCH better than a bustitution.

Except across the Wasatch through the Weber and Echo Canyons in Utah, where the mountains are not that distant. :)

I just wanted to Thank everyone for there help on our train trip through Colorado! At Denver we were put on a bus and 4 hours later we arrived at Grand Juntion. The trip was beautiful, but it was on a bus and not Amtrak! At Grand Juntion we were given $15 voucher and we ate at a very nice restaurant near the station. I recommend if you are looking for snacks for your train trip, you purchase them in the train depot, Very, Very reasonable prices and some neat souvenirs!

We are now heading for Los Angles not sure of that spelling, LOL on the coast Starlight to LA.

Except across the Wasatch through the Weber and Echo Canyons in Utah, where the mountains are not that distant. :)
When I took it in 1974 I was disappointed in it. Its not nearly as dramatic as the old DRG&W.

Since I took the normal route last year, I don't mind the detour as it's a change in scenery. It's even better now that I don't have to leave the comfort of my roomette while doing so! I have never been to Wyoming so this will be a welcomed adventure!

Beth, we'll be arriving in Emeryville Sunday afternoon, so I'll think of you when our trains pass en route! I hope we all have wonderful trips.

Wifey and I have ridden both routes from Denver to Salt Lake...On our honeymoon in 1981 we rode Mem-Chi-Den on Amtrak, then the next day Rio Grande Zephyr (pre Amtrak, with F units and domes and a diner serving Rainbow Trout) to Salt Lake, then Amtrak CZ on the return through Wyoming. Each line has its own advantages, excitement and beauty although I must admit the Rio Grande line (now UP) through the Rockies has it hands down for spectacular scenery.

Kudos to Amtrak and UP for keeping the train running through all this adversity. A few years ago they might have just cancelled it with no alternate transportation available. Hopefully this trend of keeping trains running will continue.

I'm so happy to see that the bus detour is over with! I leaving Sunday for Chicago and am now feeling more at ease about the trip. This is the first time I'm making it solo, so I was getting freaked out at having to switch back and forth between buses and trains.

I am considering myself lucky to take the other route on the train now, since others have mentioned it is beautiful too.
Actually, the DEN-GJT bustiture was a shortcut, not a detour. The train right now is detouring through Wyoming. You will enjoy seeing Wyoming, very few rail passengers still get to see Wyoming. I've never ridden the Wyoming rail route, but I know what it looks like because I've done a very similar route on my, um, avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back