#5 (11) Held up by flooding in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad I found this discussion page. I will have to create an account.

We own and operate Dave's Depot, a convenience/souvenir shop inside the Amtrak Station in Grand Junction Colorado. We have been told, unofficially and only from the agents and conductors, that because of the large scale of the wash-out near the Moffat Tunnel, it will take at least a month to replace the section of track lost, with a bridge. And after a few more days, the bus-bridge between Grand Junction and Denver will end, and the train will be re-routed through Wyoming. However, after some research, and reading posts here, it sounds like some of the rail in eastern Colorado needs to be repaired as well, before that route can be used. I will be checking back here, and other sources, to keep up to date. I sure hope that it will not take that long to get the route through the Mtns back repaired, as the 2 daily trains (#6 and #5) are the entire customer base for this our little store. But more likely, it will be a while
Hi, Chuck

Nice to see you the forum.

I have had two unique experiences at your store. One was odd, one was near life saving. What could have been very stressful situation was cut short by your store having an over the counter medication. While the med was a simple otc tablet it saved what may have been a trip to an emergency room. In the middle of the Rockies on a train, your store saved the day. Thank goodness.

I hope things get opened up soon and you get back in business.

When you say in "Emergency Condition" do you mean a "State of Emergency"?
Yes.
The reason I ask is my wife and I are travelling to Denver, leaving Chicago on the 19th and arriving the 20th. We are then renting a car ot drive to Colorado Springs. Will we have trouble travelling through Denver and south to Colorado Springs? thank you for your reply.

Jim
South of Denver to Colorado Springs has mostly reopened. North of Denver as far as Fort Collins is a complete mess.

We're being flooded with worried guests. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, but the scheduled rail line won't be running anytime soon, it's been washed out and devastated. If UP is slow on it, the route might not even run until early November. Right now UP is going to be trying hard to fix the line up to Cheyenne, when that is fixed I expect the CZ to run on that until the Rio Grande gets fixed.

Right now the CZ is being broken between Grand Junction and Denver, there's chartered buses running in between. Soon, this will stop and the train will be running through Wyoming along the Overland Route.

The Wyoming route dosen't have regular passenger rail service, so you could take this oppurtunity just o experience the route. You can get an idea of what the scenery is like by using Street View on Goolgle Maps and looking along I-80. The same route is operated by Greyhound's Denver-Portland thorugh buses, if you're interested.

Thanks for the info. I just joined this forum as I found this page / discussion as some of the only information available about what's going on. I've been riding the Zephyr between Denver and Salt Lake about once a year for the past few years and have my second full cross-country trip scheduled for early November (from St Petersburg FL all the way back to Salt Lake). Looks like they have a big task ahead repairing the rails. I still have a month and a half until my trip but it's starting to sound like I should hold on to my plans. I'll be fine with the Wyoming route since I've done the Moffat line four times already (but always in April/May, never in November).

I understand this is still a fresh and evolving situation, but I find it hard to believe Amtrak has nothing on their 'service alerts and notices' page. It seems like they don't cover the Zephyr there at all (maybe none of the cross country trains?) as a couple of weeks ago the Zephyr was on "Service Disruption" alert and no info anywhere on the web site. (I've been idly keeping an eye on its timeliness, as I've had good luck with it in the spring, but even before the floods it seemed to be off-schedule quite a bit in recent weeks).

This washout brings to mind 1983. The year the Rio Grande 'threw in the towel', and finally 'joined' Amtrak, resulting in the CZ returning to its rails. The only problem, was a massive slide at Thistle, Utah, that took over five months to reopen. During that period, the CZ ran thru Wyoming, and Amtrak chartered buses to cover the bypassed stations as well.

I'm familiar with many of the Denver-area roads (former resident). That damage looks pretty bad, though US 85 and Us 285 are still fully operational. Bustitution on I-70 seems OK except the Quebec Street off-ramp. Denver rain has been dying down, but things are still inemergency condition.
When you say in "Emergency Condition" do you mean a "State of Emergency"? The reason I ask is my wife and I are travelling to Denver, leaving Chicago on the 19th and arriving the 20th. We are then renting a car ot drive to Colorado Springs. Will we have trouble travelling through Denver and south to Colorado Springs? thank you for your reply.Jim

Thank you for this information. we feel a whole lot better now.

Jim
The majority of the issues are north and west of Denver. I-25 is open both ways out of Denver, including south to Colorado Springs. You should be fine.

We're scheduled to ride the CZ from Grand Junction to Emeryville on October 9th. Any word on how Amtrak will deal with passengers originating in the "dead zone" west of Denver?

I'm leaving on the cz this Sunday heading from Ca to Chicago. This will be my 3rd trip on this route. I really hope that the lines are repaired for the reroute. I am not looking forward to getting cozy in my room for 1 nite and having to switch to a bus, then another train for the rest of my trip. It's starting to stress me out!

We leave from Iowa Saturday, destination San Francisco. We were kind of hoping to have the bus connection going west and the trip through Wyoming coming back east the following week, just for a change of scenery.....but we will be happy to have the train trip at all! We missed one a few years back when the trains were cancelled altogether because of the flooding in the Midwest (couldn't get across the Nebraska/Iowa border, as I recall).

I'm leaving on the cz this Sunday heading from Ca to Chicago. This will be my 3rd trip on this route. I really hope that the lines are repaired for the reroute. I am not looking forward to getting cozy in my room for 1 nite and having to switch to a bus, then another train for the rest of my trip. It's starting to stress me out!
:hi: Look @ it as an adventure! The California to Grand Junction Portion of the trip is as usual and The Trip from Grand Junction to Denver via Bustitution will still have the Outstanding Mountain Scenery in Colorado! You didnt indicate if you Paid for your Trip or used AGR, but you should be in line for a Rebate or Voucher since you are missing out on Meals in the Diner and the Comfort of your Room between Grand Junction and Denver! Sit back, Relax, Enjoy the rideand leave the Driving to Amtrak! ;)

We leave from Iowa Saturday, destination San Francisco. We were kind of hoping to have the bus connection going west and the trip through Wyoming coming back east the following week, just for a change of scenery.....but we will be happy to have the train trip at all! We missed one a few years back when the trains were cancelled altogether because of the flooding in the Midwest (couldn't get across the Nebraska/Iowa border, as I recall).
:hi: Excellent attitude! Enjoy the trip, it will still be a Wonderful Journey! ;)

Thanks for the heads up! I booked my trip with AGR and paying as I'm traveling roundtrip. Since this is the first time I'm making the trip solo, I'm nervous since thing will be different than in the past.

How long is the bus ride? I am not a huge fan of riding on the buses, since they tend to drive like Nascar drivers. Riding a bus in the mountains really is giving me anxiety!

:hi: Look @ it as an adventure! (...) Enjoy the rideand leave the Driving to Amtrak! ;)
I like adventure too, but some of us have to get from A to B with a reasonable assurance that 1) the trip is possible, and 2) the arrival time will be somewhat close to the original estimate. Just got off the phone with Amtrak reservations. Long story short, they know nothing about schedules or routes for the CZ beyond the next 24 hours. When I asked about passengers originating travel in Grand Junction, silence, then a strange statement that they expect service to be restored by October 9th! Will the trains stop in Grand Junction? Will they be rerouted through Wyoming? The agent didn't know.

Thank You guys for all the info. I am traveling from cle to oak. After your suggestions I am taking the Chief from Chi to La and the Coast Starlight to Oak. Instead of the CZ. Excited to try a new train and get to where I need to. AGR rep was amazingly helpful!

I just tried to cancel my reservation for the Zephyr train on the 29th of September and was told my reservation is ACTIVE and if I want to cancel I will be charged penalties.

How can the reservation be active with no track to run the train on?

How close to the travel date is Amtrak going to wait?

Do I get any compensation for having to book last minute plane tickets while they refuse to refund my reservation without a penalty?

This sucks...
You don't need to cancel it. The train will be running by then, it'll just a take another route. Just ride it, the route is rarely taken and you will enjoy it.

We're scheduled to ride the CZ from Grand Junction to Emeryville on October 9th. Any word on how Amtrak will deal with passengers originating in the "dead zone" west of Denver?
Buses will take you to SLC.

The regular route will not be operational until at least late October. On Sunday the Wyoming route may be operational and the train would just take that instead with no need to get on a bustitute. If the route is not operational, then you'll have to get on a bus shuttle then onto another train.

No one knows for sure when the Wyoming route will be operational.

:hi: Look @ it as an adventure! (...) Enjoy the rideand leave the Driving to Amtrak! ;)
I like adventure too, but some of us have to get from A to B with a reasonable assurance that 1) the trip is possible, and 2) the arrival time will be somewhat close to the original estimate. Just got off the phone with Amtrak reservations. Long story short, they know nothing about schedules or routes for the CZ beyond the next 24 hours. When I asked about passengers originating travel in Grand Junction, silence, then a strange statement that they expect service to be restored by October 9th! Will the trains stop in Grand Junction? Will they be rerouted through Wyoming? The agent didn't know.
By October 9th, the original route will probably be inoperational. The Wyoming route should be operational and the train would take that, bypassing Grand Junction. You would have to ride a bus to SLC.

Again, no one knows for sure what's going to happen.

I got off the #6 California Zephyr today (9/17), coming from Sacramento. As mentioned, there is a bus bridge from Grand Junction to Denver, although I had to ride only to Glenwood Springs, where my car was stashed. The conductor said that service would shift to the Denver-Cheyenne route, but that flooded tracks north of Denver still needed to be inspected.

From today's Denver Post:

The passenger train uses the Union Pacific rail line that is washed out in several spots between Denver and Crescent in Boulder County.

Union Pacific said it has been able to reroute the cargo shipments,

primarily coal, that move west from the Denver area.

"We're telling our customers to expect a 72-hour delay," Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis said.

Last edited by a moderator:
The train ride from Denver to Glenwood is scenic so my folks are flying into Denver this week with original plans to ride the train to Glenwood to visit me. Am I right to assume that the bustitution between Denver and Grand Junction would make a stop along the way in Glenwood? It is right off the Interstate. Thanks!
I am certain that the bus substitute between Denver and Grand Junction would stop in Glenwood. If it is a "special" (charter) bus for Amtrak passengers only, then it would stop at the Amtrak station in Glenwood.

NOTE that there is also a regular Greyhound service between Denver and Glenwood that does NOT stop at the Amtrak station. The regular Greyhound bus lets its passengers off at a nondescript Ride Glenwood shelter in West Glenwood near the Burger King. Been there; done that.

The train ride from Denver to Glenwood is scenic so my folks are flying into Denver this week with original plans to ride the train to Glenwood to visit me. Am I right to assume that the bustitution between Denver and Grand Junction would make a stop along the way in Glenwood? It is right off the Interstate. Thanks!
I was told by an Amtrak agent Sunday afternoon, that there would be NO stop in Glenwood Springs, where I wanted to go. I would be bused from Denver to Grand Junction, then bused back to Glenwood Springs. Wouldn't it make better sense in this case to stop the bus on I-70 exit in G. S. and let people off RATHER than spend another 2 hours to G. Jctn and another 2 hours back to G. S.????????????????????????????????? I certainly think so. I'd be willing to walk from I-70 to the Amtrak station in G. S. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez, are the inmates running the bus operation?????
Methinks that Amtrak agent is smoking something. Or simply doesn't know anything about Colorado geography. There is NO WAY that the buses will drive through Glenwood on I-70 and NOT stop at the Glenwood station (either the Amtrak station or the West Glenwood stop that Greyhound uses for their regular buses) to de-bus and board passengers with Glenwood tickets.

Hi, My mother will be coming in from Sacramento Ca on the 30th of Sept. to Denver. Anyone have any idea on the chance of her being able to get into Denver on the train, or will she have to bus it from somewhere?
Too soon to say for certain whether the Union Pacific Railroad will be able to get their track reopened between Winter Park, Colorado and Denver by 30 Sept. As of today, the Amtrak website has blocked purchase of any train tickets from Grand Junction to Denver thru 28 Sept. BUT, the Amtrak website does offer train tickets from Grand Junction to Denver beginning 29 Sept.

So, perhaps Amtrak now believes that the tracks will be open again for their daily train beginning on 29 Sept. If this turns out to be true, then your mother would be able to take the train all the way from Sacramento departing 30 Sept to Denver.

If the tracks are not open by 30 Sept, then there are two possibilities: (1) your mom would ride train from Sacramento to Cheyenne, then transfer to a dedicated bus to Denver. (2) your mom would ride train from Sacramento to Grand Junction, then transfer to a dedicated bus to Denver. Option 1 would be faster than option 2. Both options would be slightly faster than the train-all-the-way option, but certainly not as beautiful a ride.

I remember that flood! If I recall, there were only two or three bridge crossings open at all...most were flooded out. I think I took the crossing up by Sioux City to get across then by car, though the I-80 crossing was also open if I recall. I-680 was closed (as were many smaller crossings there.)

That flood was a mess...hope it doesn't happen again in my lifetime.

I am VERY glad that I found this thread, I will be coming to the US from Australia next week, and was just about to change my trip on the 28th sep from LA to CHI on the Southwest Chief to SF to CHI on the CZ route through to rockies as I have been told it is a more beautiful journey!

If I were already booked on the CZ I wouldnt change it, the bus ride between the two termination points seems like it would be a beautiful ride anyway (and shorter), and the chance to travel along a rail passage not commonly used is certainly something to write home about! What an adventure..

So is the bus connection that they ran Monday between GJT and DEN not working as I see the #5 and #6 did not operate 09/17 or today 09/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back