30% Points Purchase Bonus in effect 2/1 to 3/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was in February last year too. I was able to buy enough points for our trip to ABQ because of the 30% sale, and I used my tax refund to assist. :)

Someone want to give me a quick lesson on purchasing points (points/$, minimum purchase, etc) - with the 30% bonus. Not sure I'll want to spend the money, but at least I'll have something to think about (as if I don't have enough to think about. :D ). Thanks.

The tiered aspect is interesting, Hyatt is doing the same. I wonder if Points.com is doing research to see how wide we will open our wallets. I am sitting on more AGR than I can purposefully consume this year so am going to pass and maybe top up with a sale closer to year end, I can survive if it doesn't happen.

Someone want to give me a quick lesson on purchasing points (points/$, minimum purchase, etc) - with the 30% bonus.
You didn't get the email from AGR, Blue? Maybe it was a targeted offer but I doubt it. This is what it looked like.

Earn up to a 30% bonus on all the points you buy through March 16
buypoints_logo.gif

For a limited time only, when you buy Amtrak Guest Rewards® points, you'll automatically receive a bonus on all the points you purchase—up to 30%. The more you buy, the bigger the bonus.

10%

BONUS 20%

BONUS 30%

BONUS Buy

points 1,000 – 4,500 5,000 – 9,500 10,000 Bonus

points 100 – 450 1,000 – 1,900 3,000

The bonus applies whether you're buying points for yourself, or for someone else. But act fast, this offer is only available between now and March 16.

You figure it out! It doesn't look like the usual 13K for 10K bonus we're used to, does it? :wacko:

Of course, the formatting got lost in the copy/paste so that table makes even less sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will wait and see what happens. I think they will have at least another 30% bonus later this year or maybe even more. The tiered thing makes me cautious. I think they are trying to make buyers buy the maximum right here early in the year. Then later in the year have a higher bonus to push the people that are on the line about buying points, buy points with a better incentive. We will see what happens though.

I think I will wait and see what happens. I think they will have at least another 30% bonus later this year or maybe even more. The tiered thing makes me cautious. I think they are trying to make buyers buy the maximum right here early in the year. Then later in the year have a higher bonus to push the people that are on the line about buying points, buy points with a better incentive. We will see what happens though.
I am thinking the same thing. Last year, I purchased 5,000 points earlier in the year and the other 5,000 later in the year when it appeared that a 50% bonus would not be offered. Because of the tiers, repeating what I did last year would not provide me the maximum 30% bonus.

If I were planning AGR promotions, I'd be reading this thead and thinking, ok, so folks are trying their best to notice patterns, and predict the way they can get the most of the system. So, I would do it differently every year, to keep 'em guessing, and keep it interesting, and keep it attractive on some level to newcomers.

As it stands now that may be what is happening. Each year for the last 3 has been a little different. There's nothing like a sure thing, but that is not gambling. Risk takers will wait and might lose... or might win bigger than those who buy the whole 10,000 now.

If you're going to be safe and buy now, to buy less than the 30% tier would seem to be a losing strategy any way you look at it.

Last year I held off - I coudn't afford the first one, so held out for 50%, it never arrived, so I squeaked in on the 30% right before Dec. 31. Not sure what I will do this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same thing & then thought, "What if they dont have another offer this year ????? The "Bird In Hand" comes into play here, for me!!!

Happy Rails To You, Till We Meet Again

Have Fun

Granted, it is a gamble but if I don't "need" the points for any upcoming trips, I will hold off. Most of the trips I take are short, not very expensive, and/or not worth using points. The points I am using this year is for a trip to New Orleans in sleaper.

I just bought my points. Thanks for the reminder (I had thought I had until 3/31). :eek:

Back