30% Points Purchase Bonus in effect 2/1 to 3/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite frankly, for those with excellent credit discipline, doing a transfer from Chase Ink or Sapphire to AGR is the better deal than purchasing points. It's a one time hit, but if you time it right by following the frequent flying blogs, it is well worth it.

I just bought my points. Thanks for the reminder (I had thought I had until 3/31). :eek:
And you prepare tax returns! :eek: I feel sorry for your clients. ("I thought I had until May 27 to file them?" :giggle: )

I just bought my points. Thanks for the reminder (I had thought I had until 3/31). :eek:
This from a CPA and Tax Attorney!!! :eek: What happens on April 15th?? Do your Clients get an Extension if youre on a Train Trip? :giggle:
I can't remember everything!! I do remember April 15th, and I normally do not travel until at least April 16th. :giggle:

It is likely that the bonus point sale will occur again in 2013. The amount of bonus depends on Amtraks revenue situation. If they are hurting badly then 50% is a possibility. If they are not then 30% wil come again. Last time I purchased points was with the 50% bonus. When or if they have it again I will buy and if not things are good just the way they are. Points are only a good buy when fares are at high bucket like a $616 bedroom on the CL or on longer 2 night/2 zone trips such as on the SWC. But whe a bedroom ticket sells for $258.00 it is a lousy deal.

Lets look at my recent low bucket 2 zone $258.00 bedroom fare to CHI as an example

At .02 per point (when you could get it) 1000 points costs $20 x 30 = $600 (about high bucket)

At .03 per point (more common) 1000 points costs $30 x 30 = $900 (33% more than high bucket)

Back