#30 Nov 16th Delay?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jon

Left Chicago ~1.5 hours late. Left South Bend ~11.5 hours late.

???

What's really weird is that the Lake Shore Limited was apparently unaffected, arriving in NY "only" ~1hr late.

12.5 hours late in Cleveland. Passengers are getting to see things in the daylight they wouldn't if she was on time! Amtrak says it will be a near midnight arrival time tonight in DC.

I've never been on one that late, thank goodness. I've been on a couple five-plus hour late ones that made me think long-distance passenger rail was as outdated as the stagecoach. Fortunately, I've been on enough "reasonably punctual" ones to know that's not the case.

JPS

Well, if you want the really dirty details:

The train departed 1h37 late. It turned from inbound train 29(15), but was set on the platform late due to a late release of the engines from the shop.

Then things basically went to hell in a handbasket.

Engine 168 repeatedly went into penalty brake application. The crew "died" on hours of service while attempting to fix the problem, which continued to nag the engine. Mechanics from Chicago met the train somewhere in Indiana, and determined that the problem couldn't be fixed and the engine had to be set out. The train was further delayed entering the yard waiting for freight trains to clear, and then was delayed even further due to switch problems. After finally setting out the engine on a siding, the second crew died on hours of service, and another recrew had to come in from Waterloo by taxi.

Back