#22 - Disrupted or Not?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, Ryan. That just made my morning. :) Thank you.

Charlie is correct. I waited an hour to get through to our after-hours emergency agents, and then their system went down as soon as she picked up. She apologized and took my number. I got a call-back as soon as their computers came up. They were having a busy night too. :p

She went to American's website and had me go there too to make sure she didn't have some weird cookie showing it was still on-time. When I said she got through to them in my other post, it's possible she called and went through the automated menu to check the flight number. Given that I had to wait an hour to get through to her, I'm sure other people waited even longer to get through to American, as Charlie's friend experienced.

I just checked again, and it's still showing as "on-time". :) I leave at 1:55 CST.

Also, I read a news article that said DFW expected 4000 stranded travelers Friday, so they'd set up a bunch of cots and had things like diapers and formula available for people. They also kept a lot of their vendors open for 24 hours. I thought that was pretty nice of the airport.

I was about to start a new thread "4000 stranded at DFW - How many on Amtrak?"

Then I found this thread...

As a sleeper pax, should Amtrak have paid for the hotel/flight or is that only if you get stranded enroute?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Amtrak is a guest on the host railroads, they probably got caught short when the hosts suspended operations and as a result were in an internal turmoil trying to figure out what the hell to do. Once you get home, wait a couple days and then call Customer Service to arrange for a refund and likely Voucher. I actually learned that strategy from a Front Line Agent at Chicago a couple years ago when I was dealing with a missed connection-it worked perfectly as the Phone Agent was not overwhelmed and quickly and pleasantly got everything handled.

And at the same time complain about the inept Agent at Dallas. Follow up with a written complaint. That Agent should have been busting his ass to find out what was going on and taking care of his customers instead of hiding behind a turned around sign hoping the problem "goes away."

Meanwhile up here in the Sooner Nation the BNSF Red Rock Sub remains quiet. I can imagine the fun Dispatch is going to have trying to get the backlog of Freight back on the move.

Since Amtrak is a guest on the host railroads, they probably got caught short when the hosts suspended operations and as a result were in an internal turmoil trying to figure out what the hell to do. Once you get home, wait a couple days and then call Customer Service to arrange for a refund and likely Voucher. ...

And at the same time complain about the inept Agent at Dallas. Follow up with a written complaint. That Agent should have been busting his ass to find out what was going on and taking care of his customers instead of hiding behind a turned around sign hoping the problem "goes away." ...
A Voucher? Why. AMTRAK has no control over the weather nor ability to operate on a Host track. You are right, they were probably caught short by a closure of tracks, and did everything they could to get their trains to somewhere safer than middle-of-nowhere. Why should they hand out vouchers for anything for that matter. The airlines don't.

And that agent in Dallas likely had dozens of updates - so don't blame them. Train is running, Train is late, Train cancelled, no wait: Train Late again. No ... et al. Could they have walked over? Sure. But to recommend firing them for not? Silly.

As for the comparison to DFW --- would you have rather had AMTRAK give you a cot and boxed lunches and let you stay at Union Station? The airlines at DFW are not paying for hotels or food for the most part, why should AMTRAK. Travel in weather like this just demands patience and perseverance.

Good Luck getting anywhere in the next few days, especially if you are on American (which is a mistake under these circumstances).

A Voucher? Why. AMTRAK has no control over the weather nor ability to operate on a Host track. You are right, they were probably caught short by a closure of tracks, and did everything they could to get their trains to somewhere safer than middle-of-nowhere. Why should they hand out vouchers for anything for that matter. The airlines don't.
Amtrak routinely gives vouchers in situations like these to make up for the inconvenience.

The less Amtrak acts like the airlines, the better.

I think your beef is with BNSF, not AMTRAK. Maybe they should issue vouchers. Think ?

Thanks Ryan, at least someone else has some common sense.

Sarah, AA just posted a notice advising "customers" to expect minimal operations at DFW today. See if you can Rule 240 over to another carrier that may be heading to CHI or even check with Southwest; while you'll have to get to Love Field and make a stop along the way (Wright Amendment) they probably can get you out.

Sarah, AA just posted a notice advising "customers" to expect minimal operations at DFW today. See if you can Rule 240 over to another carrier that may be heading to CHI or even check with Southwest; while you'll have to get to Love Field and make a stop along the way (Wright Amendment) they probably can get you out.
How is it "common sense" to hand out cash (via vouchers) for something completely NOT in AMTRAKs control. Sorry, but again, go ask BNSF for some cash, or maybe UP.

As for "Rule 240" ... NOT going to happen as those carriers are full up too, or not flying, and have their own passengers to care for.

Should NOT have booked American to begin with. Sorry bout that.

Davey,

I work in customer service. The agent had zero pax in line and was chatting with coworkers, not overwhelmed. I know what I would have done, and that includes an apology. I said she probably didn't realize I was taking Amtrak, but once I told her, the attitude she displayed was downright lazy.

I do not expect a voucher, just a refund, which I am getting according to an agent this morning.

I have no control over which carrier I use. This is a business trip, so it's booked through our travel agent. I'm booked on American because they tried several carriers, and they were all full or canceled.

I do not appreciate your insinuations that I have done anything wrong. I am doing the best I can and have been kind to every single person I've encountered this weekend because I know their jobs have been hell. I've even bought food for a few people who were stranded.

How is it "common sense" to hand out cash (via vouchers) for something completely NOT in AMTRAKs control. Sorry, but again, go ask BNSF for some cash, or maybe UP.

As for "Rule 240" ... NOT going to happen as those carriers are full up too, or not flying, and have their own passengers to care for.

Should NOT have booked American to begin with. Sorry bout that.
It is not the customer's choice whether Amtrak provides vouchers for WX delays. It's Amtrak choice, and they have chosen to do so. There is no reason for a customer not to ask for a benefit Amtrak routinely provides. If you don't like Amtrak issuing WX vouchers, your gripe is with Amtrak, not the customer who asks.

As for BNSF, an Amtrak passenger is dealing with Amtrak. They are not customers of BNSF. If Amtrak assumes responsibility for something that is BNSF's fault, then it is up to Amtrak to pursue that with BNSF.

It would have been interesting to see how this would have turned out if your company wasn't shooting block for you. I wonder what happened to the rest of the passengers, and how Amtrak is treating them.

I think the thrust of Sarah's complaint against Amtrak was the combination of cancelled train, poor information at DFW, and a "lazy" employee who didn't see to her concerns. Several of those things fall within Amtrak's control.

Buddy - I would have rescheduled things myself and used my emergency funds. The company requires changes go through them, though, so I called them.

FWIW, AA didn't charge change fees yesterday. Not sure about today.

Also, my company never received a communication from Amtrak, so I handled the refund for the trip and let them know it would be posted. My company paid for the rail portion, and I paid for the roomette upgrade. I'll find out if Amtrak will pay for lodging last night once I get home, since I paid for it. If not, my company will reimburse me.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. I did luck out. I really do feel bad for people who missed vacations and such. I met a family last night who missed a Disney cruise. :(

Also, I'm not bumping anyone. We don't have that much pull. ;) It took a really long time to find an open flight. I never want to pick up my phone again after yesterday. :p

Once I get home, it's my turn to take care of stressed, stranded people. :)

:hi: Good Morning from Austin where its 20 Degrees with a 15 MPH North Wind but No Ice! I'm watching a Football Game in Dallas(SMU vs. Florida Something or other) and it Doesn't Look like there is any Ice! Ryan's Post is Great, Glad you Started Your Day with a Smile! Hopefully you're on the way to DFW to Catch your Flight towards Home! Really Kind of You to Help Out stranded Folks, I'm not surprised! ;) The Merger of AA and Agony Airlines is a Classic Case of Combing Good with Terrible with the Result being Rosemary"s Baby!!! :angry:

You Deserve an Apology (and WILL get a Voucher)from Amtrak., and as the other Posters have said, let the Smoke Clear and the Weather Warm, you know that None of us would Want to be an Amtrak or Airline CR Rep Right Now! :help: Once you're Safely back in Cold Michigan :p as you said, You can Follow through!

Keep us Posted and Don't get Over Stressed, Stuff like this is Fairly Common for People that Travel on Business, we all have Stories about Situations Like This that are Now Memories to Smile About but at the Time were Miserable SNAFUs!

BTW-It's Obscene what AA is charging for the Few Seats Avaialble Today and Tomorrow for Flights to Chicago! From $809-$2300 for Coach, this is Price Gouging! :eek: :angry:

Buddy - I would have rescheduled things myself and used my emergency funds. The company requires changes go through them, though, so I called them.

Also, my company never received a communication from Amtrak, so I handled the refund for the trip and let them know it would be posted. My company paid for the rail portion, and I paid for the roomette upgrade. I'll find out if Amtrak will pay for lodging last night once I get home, since I paid for it. If not, my company will reimburse me.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. I did luck out. I really do feel bad for people who missed vacations and such. I met a family last night who missed a Disney cruise. :(

Also, I'm not bumping anyone. We don't have that much pull. ;) It took a really long time to find an open flight. I never want to pick up my phone again after yesterday. :p

Sarah, you're the kind of customer service agent one always hopes to get when on the line with an issue. And as a result, you're the kind of customer that the Agent always hopes to have on the other end if the line. We all get stressed due to circumstances at times, and it's so nice to have a soothing voice say "everything will be OK." So, I truly hope that everything will be OK for you today, and you'll get home. If not today, then tomorrow (early). I am watching the weather and hoping for you.

AA is running around $900 DFW-FLT add 2 nights in a hotel there, and that would have been quite an emergency expense. I was just curious what Amtrak did with the rest of the people.

Edit: add - The worst part will be missing out on your return Amtrak travelogue. :help: I think Amtrak should fly you back down just for that! :giggle:

Davey,

I work in customer service. The agent had zero pax in line and was chatting with coworkers, not overwhelmed. I know what I would have done, and that includes an apology. I said she probably didn't realize I was taking Amtrak, but once I told her, the attitude she displayed was downright lazy.

I do not expect a voucher, just a refund, which I am getting according to an agent this morning.

I have no control over which carrier I use. This is a business trip, so it's booked through our travel agent. I'm booked on American because they tried several carriers, and they were all full or canceled.

I do not appreciate your insinuations that I have done anything wrong. I am doing the best I can and have been kind to every single person I've encountered this weekend because I know their jobs have been hell. I've even bought food for a few people who were stranded.
I insinuate nothing of the sort. I responded to OTHERS who said AMTRAK owed you something. I disagreed. And NO, paying for hotels and food and "inconvience" in the name of customer service is not a good reason either.

But I DO agree with your complaint about the staff there in Dallas. I too have experienced their ho-hum service.

As Paul Thompson used to say: "Here's the Rest of the Story!" Per a PM Sarah Should Be Winging here Way North Now but not on the Eagle! :) She is one of the Lucky Ones that Will Get Out of Dallas (on an AA Flight) which is still Basically a Deep Freeze! In other News the 2 Joes are probably somewhere Warm and Cozy Eating and Drinking Great Food and Adult Beverages while watching the "Big Games!" ^_^

As Paul Thompson used to say: "Here's the Rest of the Story!" Per a PM Sarah Should Be Winging here Way North Now but not on the Eagle! :) She is one of the Lucky Ones that Will Get Out of Dallas (on an AA Flight) which is still Basically a Deep Freeze! In other News the 2 Joes are probably somewhere Warm and Cozy Eating and Drinking Great Food and Adult Beverages while watching the "Big Games!" ^_^
The 2 Joe's are indeed sequestered warm & comfy here in Plano. Sitting in front of the fireplace watching some college ball with adult beverages. We have managed to continue with our tradition of exploring the gastronomic offerings of the area. Since I plan on being on tomorrows #22, we plan to top the week end off by going to Ruth's Chris for my virgin visit. I hear they have a great cowboy ribeye that I must try!
The Col. Tells me he isn't leaving here until the snow melts in Carbondale!

Also, they did have "#22 - terminated" written on the white board, but it was on the side facing the wall. :huh: The agent turned it around after three more people went up to the desk to inquire about #22. I almost blew a gasket at that point.
You didn't happen to get the name of the lazy station agent, did you? I think summary firing would be appropriate, and you can probably provide Amtrak with enough information to make that happen. First of all, it's inexcusable not to put up a notice of the train cancellation. Second, the station agent should have been able to do *everything* which you spent 40 minutes on the phone doing.

And it just got warmer and happier here in the Sooner Nation :)
Watching Texas vs. Baylor for the Big 12 Championship in Frigid Waco!!! So far it's a Comedy of Errors due to the Cold!!!

The 2 Joe's are indeed sequestered warm & comfy here in Plano. Sitting in front of the fireplace watching some college ball with adult beverages. We have managed to continue with our tradition of exploring the gastronomic offerings of the area. Since I plan on being on tomorrows #22, we plan to top the week end off by going to Ruth's Chris for my virgin visit. I hear they have a great cowboy ribeye that I must try!
The Col. Tells me he isn't leaving here until the snow melts in Carbondale!
:cool: Hope the Eagle Flys Tomorrow and Can't say I Blame the Colonel for Not Heading North! ;) And Ruth's Chris does do Tasty Steaks!! :wub:

I'm happy to be on a flight, but sitting in front of a fire with a drink sounds pretty nice too. :)

(I'm about 50 minutes from ORD - yay!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back