21 near mutiny in the transdorm.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
I don't care if there is a SCA on the train, much less in my car, but apparently I'm alone in that sentiment. Leaving CHI am hour and a half late our "SCA" who is also the coach attendant in a sold out coach stopped by briefly. Haven't seen her since, and it's a mess.....old people trying to do their own bunks, young people mad as hell, it's pandemonium......transdorm needs a bit more attention than this I guess...

I don't care if there is a SCA on the train, much less in my car but apparently I'm alone in that sentiment. Leaving CHI am hour and a half late our "SCA" who is also the coach attendant in a sold out coach stopped by briefly. Haven't seen her since, and it's a mess.....old people trying to do their own bunks, young people mad as hell, it's pandemonium......transdorm needs a bit more attention than this I guess...
It's not just you. Nobody who matters cares if there's an SCA on the train or if the train is over an hour late before it leaves the first station. The only question I have is who should we give our tips to in that situation? The old people who put our bunks down? The happy as hell youngsters who get our ice for us?

Maybe I've been fortunate but on the Trips Ive been on where I was in the Transdorm (TE/Sunset/CZ/SWC)Ive had Excellent service from SCAs whether they were working the Revenue Sleeper next Door or a Coach! As Lawyers say, it Depends, YMMV!

The BAD SCAs (The Infamous "Invisible SCA") I've had have all come in Revenue Sleepers!

I would definitely call Customer Service @ 1-800-USA-RAIL and file a Complaint! ;)

If I were her, Id take care of the sleeper first, coach passengers dont need beds made, I do realize that there may be coach passengers who may have special needs and that is all fine and well, but if one of those older people hurts themselves doing the beds, things could get rough.

I hope the rest of your trip goes a bit better Shortline.

No need for me to call, I had everything I needed-But, the Conductor, Asst. Conductor, LSA, SCA, and a host of others were apologzing profusely in the hallway to these women ringleading the complaints for about 20 minutes trying to get them to calm down. The two main ones were a couple of women travelling together, got names of crew, names of passengers (who bothered to give them) and "aren't calling some 1-800 number.....Everyone on this car paid for first class, and we got S*&%. This is F^&@*$* rediculous, etc etc etc.".

I have no complaint myself, I just did my thing, but if I were a first time rider, or among the aged who truly DID need help, I would be upset too....maybe not to the level they took it to, but upset none the less....Some of the older passengers were obviously perterbed and disapoinnted. One of the two ladies alluded to the fact she was uniquely situated to get serious attention to this, before her travelling companion suggested she "don't go there right now"....What she didn't want to tell, I don't know.....There were also alleged back strains, making up beds....no idea where THAT will go........Some people.....I simply walked back and had the next car attendant page the coach person who was supposed to handle things. I guess some would rather sit and stew, than walk 90 feet to find help. I do agree they shouldn't HAVE to, but when you NEED to, I think I'd take the walk. Whatever. They finally calmed down, haven't heard anything else out of them since.

I've had nothing but terrible service in the transdorms, more then once i've left the train at the terminal station witht he bed still down,. Nobody came by to make it up. Yes I know know how to pull the bunks down and roll out the mattresses and stuff, but I don't have any idea how to change the sheets or other stuff that needs to be done. One time in Chicago I apologized to the conductor for not doing anything, he said not to worry about it, the outbound crew will find it, take care of it and "will make damn sure the person responsible hears about it" Thats a direct quote. Needless to say that SCA didn't get a tip that trip, not that I ever saw him aftre he pulled the bed down int he first place.

I have learned how to avoid a transdorm because of my horrible experiance in one: Ring up on the reservation line and ask, "If I were to book a roomette on this date from X to Y, what roomette number would I get?" If the response equates to a Transdorm room number I ask about other possible dates. When you book on line, you don't know until you receive your confirmation at which point, it is too late to change it.

I have learned how to avoid a transdorm because of my horrible experiance in one: Ring up on the reservation line and ask, "If I were to book a roomette on this date from X to Y, what roomette number would I get?" If the response equates to a Transdorm room number I ask about other possible dates. When you book on line, you don't know until you receive your confirmation at which point, it is too late to change it.
It's never too late to change it. Just call Amtrak, get an agent, ask what else is available and if you're told it can't be done keeping your current price, ask for a supervisor. The process may take far longer than it should but it works.Once on the train, just ask the conductor if you can switch rooms. Obviously, this only works if there's a room available.

FWIW, I've only been in transdorms that were adjacent to another sleeper and have never had any problems whatsoever.

FWIW, I've only been in transdorms that were adjacent to another sleeper and have never had any problems whatsoever.
Don't know if it's different on some trains than others, but in this case (the one that started this post), the Transdorm attendant wasn't from the next car-The next car, was a regular sleeper, then the CCC, then the SSL, then a coach-It was this coach attendant, who was our sleeper attendant. When the mess that started this thread was going on, I went to the next sleeper, found THEIR attandant, and he basically said it wasn't his problem. Had to go to the 4th car back to get our attendant, not just to the next sleeper. Either way, if I was solo, I don't think I'd care, but if and when I'm going on a leisure trip, with the family, I'd like the full service experience.

Don't know if it's different on some trains than others, but in this case (the one that started this post), the Transdorm attendant wasn't from the next car-The next car, was a regular sleeper, then the CCC, then the SSL, then a coach-It was this coach attendant, who was our sleeper attendant. When the mess that started this thread was going on, I went to the next sleeper, found THEIR attandant, and he basically said it wasn't his problem. Had to go to the 4th car back to get our attendant, not just to the next sleeper. Either way, if I was solo, I don't think I'd care, but if and when I'm going on a leisure trip, with the family, I'd like the full service experience.
Anyone have a clue as to when and why they do that? It's not that big a deal for SCA in the adjacent sleeper to also deal with the transdorm, unless it's really full. To assign the task to somone who's other job is 4 cars away just seems insane to me. Keep in mind that, at least on #3 last weekend, the front 4 or maybe 6 roomettes were reserved for Amtrak employees and didn't get any room service at all. If that's true generally, it never means more than an additional maybe 8 roomettes.

An interesting point that has been touched on here but I think is really important: paying for sleeper accomodation is expensive, it is a travel experience. The amtrak website even says, "Sleeping car passengers are entitled to a range of hotel-like amenities, including fresh linen and towel service, complimentary bottled water and daily newspapers." Even though many of us are accustomed to making our own beds, because we can or because we like it, that doesn't mean the attendant shouldn't be expected to do their job. I understand the point of the transdorm, but it does not seem that Amtrak is willing to staff it appropriately.

An interesting point that has been touched on here but I think is really important: paying for sleeper accomodation is expensive, it is a travel experience. The amtrak website even says, "Sleeping car passengers are entitled to a range of hotel-like amenities, including fresh linen and towel service, complimentary bottled water and daily newspapers." Even though many of us are accustomed to making our own beds, because we can or because we like it, that doesn't mean the attendant shouldn't be expected to do their job. I understand the point of the transdorm, but it does not seem that Amtrak is willing to staff it appropriately.
This is the best post in this thread.

If you have to beg for the same services as other sleeping car pax, that's a pretty serious problem.

It's not like you got a discount of any kind.

If nothing else, it deserves a call to customer service and some kind of serious compensation.

It's also no way to entice more people to take Amtrak.

I have a friend that wants to take a trip with her husband because of my FB posts and general cheerleading demeanor :p but I'm really hesitant about helping her plan it because of things like this.

No need for me to call, I had everything I needed-But, the Conductor, Asst. Conductor, LSA, SCA, and a host of others were apologzing profusely in the hallway to these women ringleading the complaints for about 20 minutes trying to get them to calm down. The two main ones were a couple of women travelling together, got names of crew, names of passengers (who bothered to give them) and "aren't calling some 1-800 number.....Everyone on this car paid for first class, and we got S*&%. This is F^&@*$* rediculous, etc etc etc."
Yup, there's always one or two on the train. I'd be irritated if my SCA totally disappeared (I am not strong enough on my own to make up the bed). But I wouldn't be expecting heads to roll over it. Bad stuff happens sometimes, sometimes there are people who don't do their jobs. But then again there can be super demanding passengers: I remember one woman who slept through both breakfast calls, then yelled at the car attendant for not waking her. Then told him she "needed" him to go get her breakfast NOW and bring it to her room. And then got mad at him ("How am I supposed to eat? My bed is still not made up!") And then complained that her food was getting cold while he made up her room.....

and this was a very involved, very good SCA. And it was in the "revenue" sleeper, not the transdorm.

I do agree that the "hotel like amenities" part of the price should cover making the beds, and making them up in the morning, and if the SCA falls down on that, at least an apology is in order. But cursing someone else out over a bad situation - that just seems over blown to me. (And I'd NEVER give my name to a disgruntled fellow passenger; God knows what they'd do with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back