12 things you don't know about amtrak (well maybe not)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"No airplane food zapped in a microwave in their dining cars."---Frankly it might be better if they did serve reheated multi-course meals similar to those served in business class (not economy!) on most airlines. They might save money, introduce variety and new flavors, and let the airline catering companies do the cooking.

Instead they serve steak, burgers, roast chicken, pasta...I live in a big city and left that kind of food behind decades ago.

It's also interesting that Amtrak posts ~20 menus based on route, on their web pages, but they are all the same. As I understand it, except for occasional specials, the menu rarely changes. I am only planning one trip and will survive, but I'm not sure how train buffs can stand this food day after day.

i assume on the empire builder u can ask the SCA

is the traveler or alan b on the train u might get to shake there hand and buy them lunch if they are

"No airplane food zapped in a microwave in their dining cars."---Frankly it might be better if they did serve reheated multi-course meals similar to those served in business class (not economy!) on most airlines. They might save money, introduce variety and new flavors, and let the airline catering companies do the cooking.
Instead they serve steak, burgers, roast chicken, pasta...I live in a big city and left that kind of food behind decades ago.

It's also interesting that Amtrak posts ~20 menus based on route, on their web pages, but they are all the same. As I understand it, except for occasional specials, the menu rarely changes. I am only planning one trip and will survive, but I'm not sure how train buffs can stand this food day after day.
Actually the menus are not the same, as you said the specials are different on each route and the lighter fairs are different. The main items may be the same, the steak, chicken and burgers, but they have different items on each route. At least that is what I found so far anyway. Plus the food is better than anything you will ever find on an airplane and as each route is usually only one or two over nights, there are enough places to eat inbetween. Plus you can bring your own food on to the train even if you are sitting in coach. You can't do that on the plane. Oh did I mention you can bring drinks of any size on the train?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="the_traveler" data-cid="432259" data-time="1364746209"><p>

On the CS and EB, yes! (All others use Amplates. But the CS and EB use real china and mugs!)</p></blockquote>

I believe, if my old brain remembers correctly, that the CL also has real plates.

I've seen some of the GypsyNesters' video before, I like their attitude.

That's a nice, positive article.

Thanks for posting it, I've shared it with a couple of people that are *thinking* about taking the train.

No, it doesnt, at least not out of CHI *too late of a departure*
When did they stop?
Well, I dont know about the WB LSL, all I know is that you dont get it on the EB LSL out of CHI due to the late departure.
I know that they don't/didn't do it when we were in a sleeper in 09/11 WB either - you couldn't even get a drink or a snack until the Boston section was hooked up.

I was a real greenhorn then, I'd stock up if I was going today.

Though this info may be outdated see near the bottom of this page.<br />

<a href='http://on-track-on-line.com/amthints-accommodations.shtml'>http://on-track-on-line.com/amthints-accommodations.shtml</a><br />

<br />

The Lake Shore Limited leaves Chicago so late that it does not serve dinner onboard. All passengers are advised to eat dinner in the station before departure. Sleeping car passengers in the lounge will still board early and they will be invited to the dining car for a wine & cheese tasting. They also usually have grapes and of course crackers for the cheese, as well as a sparkling cider for the kids and those adults who don't want wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with that? Everyone eats that stuff except, I am guessing, some big city folk.

I like steak, burgers, and roast chicken, and my wife likes all of these plus pasta. Don't take our dining car food away! :help:

I agree that the menus in the diner are about 10-15 years behind the kind of fare that one can find in the nicer restaurants in cities. The menus are out dated to me. But I also understand that it might not be feasible to prepare the kind of meals I am used to in the dining car of a train, so I deal with it for the few days in a row that I am traveling.

i believe one of my posts in this topic was removed. i do not believe this should be done without an explanation sent to the poster. i am not a newbie on this board. so, i expect an explanation and plan to lay the matter before alan

2) Bikes are welcome. Bring your bike aboard on several routes or check it as baggage on others. Unfortunately, no riding in the aisles or between cars is allowed.

Darn it! That would have been sooo much fun. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back