Train Ettiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids tend to gravitate to each other in the lounge car. We started taking our granddaughter on long distance trips when she was 7, and she's never been bored or lonely on a train.
Kids find each other even when they're sick or exhausted or half awake on autopilot. Which is how it's supposed to work. I'm not anti-kid, although I might be borderline anti-teenager, but I'm sure other kids would be far more fun and interesting than going out of their way to interact with boring old adults. :mellow:

Obligatory Lewis CK clip about kids.

I agree with Trainman's Daughter that children on long-distance train rides will find other kids to play with in the lounge cars on their own -- you don't need to drag other adults into the process. My 4 kids came prepared to play among themselves on our long Amtrak journeys (25-30 years ago), but invariably made some new, albeit short-term, friends near their own ages on those journeys. Their favorite card games, like Magic the Gathering, were real "magnets" for attracting other kids' interest in what my kids were doing at the tables in the lounge car.

Chicago is a GREAT city! I've traveled there by myself with no concerns about my safety but that was because I was mindful of my actions and surroundings. (SWF with big knockers) I agree with other posters that you shouldn't miss the city... Millennium park is delightful. The kids would love Cloud Gate (the bean) and the chance to run around and people watch. Additionally, the lesson that you would teach your children about the spirit of adventure will last a lifetime. Have a wonderful trip :)

I find none of your suggested activities to be appropriate in coach, and only in limited amounts in the lounge car. Interaction with other children is very appropriate in the lounge car, but pestering adults is another. I know that other adults may be fine with this, so I hope your children are very good at reading visual cues and do not pester/bother/annoy those who are not amused by this type of behavior.

And yes, I do have children, and more often than not have been complimented on their behavior. This includes many LD train trips of 48 hours or more.

My advice to you is, if your children will need to be entertained by other adults, perhaps another mode of travel is in your family's best interest.

If anything, I'd focus a bit of attention on evening activities. After dark, the only thing you see outside windows is when you roll through a city and there are a lot of lights. At that point it can become a bit isolated on the train. Here's where some sort of fun family activities (even board games) in the lounge or watching a video (or reading a book) at your seat can be well worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visiting a park in Chicago sounds a little intimidating to me but the more I learn about the area the more comfortable I am in venturing out. You make it sound like it may be safe to do so - a woman and 2 children?
Chicago is not a bad place. I'm a "little old lady" and I've walked blocks by my self and/or with others and felt safe. Sure, there are areas, like most towns, to avoid, but I don't think you'd have to worry about that.
I second the part about feeling safe in Chicago during daytime. I am also a Little Old Lady.

My one caveat is: decide which way you want to turn, and how far you want to walk before stopping, BEFORE you exit the station. Every single time I've paused outside the station door to consider where I'm going (whether with, or without, Hubby), someone has come up and asked for the time. Being given the time, they will then ask for a few dollars "just to get home." This is not a safety issue, just an irritation issue. Now I know that if I don't want to be pestered, I must look like I am purposefully headed somewhere.

I've never been bothered like this when I was more than a block away from the station entrance. And I loved Millenium Park too (it's not long walk, ut if I wanted to go back there, I'd have to Google for the direction).

I kind of tho't train travelers might be a bit more relaxed as a group and more willing to interact with kids but I see now that they are like people everywhere in our society. Considering they seat strangers with each other in the dining car I tho't train manners might be different. :)

Ah well. I can certainly keep them on a leash and stay to ourselves. That's the easier thing for me anyway.
Nobody said that. Just be aware that some people will react positively and some negatively - and a lot of the negative will depend on how YOU have your child initiate things and react to a brush-off. People are relaxed - some so much they want to sleep; others trying to get away for a bit without being forced into an unwilling or uncomfortable situation. Just be cool!

May I assume one's seat mate may be addressed? I've had the experience in airplanes where it seems to be presumed that seat mates exist in other dimensions at times and cannot be communicated with. How uncomfortable that is! I expect my time to be consumed with the kids and Jane Eyre but I am at least open to communication with others. I'm beginning to feel the train is a bit more elitist than other forms of transportation. ??
Not in my experience. We once had a diner sitting across from us who said nary a word and my attempts to make small talk got nowhere. My wife and I looked at each other thinking "What a deadhead!" but after about 10 minutes he opened up and we sat and talked for far longer than the diner crew wanted. My guess he just had something important on his mind so I didn't push him after two tries to be nice. When he was ready, we had a great time. That happens. All we have suggested is that your child learn common courtesy if he has not and practice it if he has. That's how kids grow up. People almost always will cut him some slack especially if he is nice. Until I had kids, they were often a pain to be around. They regressed until we became grandparents. Now any kid is fun again. Funny how they changed over the years.

I'm young (and 5'6") and I never have an issue in Chicago. I've been going by myself for almost a year now (since I was 17, I'm 18 now)

Sis,

While in your coach seats, that is every ones own private space to relax, live & sleep. The Sightseer Lounge Car is the place to go to socialize. Bring games that are easily played with others. There is no running on the train or next to the train at fresh air stops. (I was yelled at by a conductor for encouraging some small children 4-6 yrs. (not travelling with me) that I could see had some extra energy) Fast walking up & down the length of the train is ok. I love kids but, have no desire to make small talk with young travelers plenty old enough to behave & keep themselves busy.

I believe you have an hour or less stop in St. Paul. If you walk out the front doors of the station there is a small park immediately outside the doors to your left. Have a great trip. Enjoy your time on the train and in the cities you visit.

I can't wait until our grandkids our older to be able to take them on a longer train trip. They are currently 4&6 yrs. old and we have only taken them on a trip from St.Paul to Lacrosse & returning the next day.

Sis,

While in your coach seats, that is every ones own private space to relax, live & sleep. The Sightseer Lounge Car is the place to go to socialize.
Well - I've certainly encountered a case where the coach seating area was being used as a place to socialize. It was also past 10 PM with the lights dimmed and most of the passengers attempting to sleep. Strangely enough nobody (myself included) said anything although I'm pretty sure there were several people who couldn't manage to sleep as a result.

Sis,

While in your coach seats, that is every ones own private space to relax, live & sleep. The Sightseer Lounge Car is the place to go to socialize.
Well - I've certainly encountered a case where the coach seating area was being used as a place to socialize. It was also past 10 PM with the lights dimmed and most of the passengers attempting to sleep. Strangely enough nobody (myself included) said anything although I'm pretty sure there were several people who couldn't manage to sleep as a result.
Now that's shocking. Every trip I've been on they've banned cribbage in the coaches after 10:00pm.

I believe you have an hour or less stop in St. Paul. If you walk out the front doors of the station there is a small park immediately outside the doors to your left.
According to the newest timetable the MSP stop is only 17 minutes long, and it's a very, very very long way from the platform to the front door of the station. If you go into the station the train will leave without you - unless the stop is greatly extended.

I don't think you will have as much trouble with other folks interacting with your kids as this forum might give you reason to think. There will be a few folks who don't care much for kids but many of the fellow train riders will enjoy seeing your children travel. I have been around this place 8 year and gotten some great information over that time. But it does seem as if children are not as welcomed when they become a topic here as they probably will be most every other place in our society, including the train.

Dan

Sometimes graphical data as shown in Post #66 can be a bit confusing, so another way to look at the on time performance of the Empire Builder (EB) into Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) is by looking at the averages. Those averages from ... http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php ...show that:

• the Westbound EB was 11 minutes early the two previous months and 14 minutes early last month

• the Eastbound EB was 37 minutes early the two previous months and 43 minutes early last month

So with the 17 minute dwell time added you may have from 31 to 60 minutes to get to the front door of the station and back to the train. However, it's about 330 400 440 yards from the center of the platform to the front door of the station.

Temper all this nifty info with the knowledge that the train will not wait for you.

Thanks, Dan. :) I have been surprised at the traffic here! Every question I've asked has been answered by many and I have gleaned a lot. I realize people conjure up different scenarios according to their own perspectives and experiences. I would love to be "that experience" that changes the idea some people have about kids. I think it should be easier than other traveling because you can get up and go to the lounge or take a walk through the train rather than having to sit in your seat all the time. The kids travel well in the car so I expect they'll do fine on the train.

I don't think anybody here dislikes kids as long as their boundaries are respected. After a few unpleasant experiences where my boundaries were not respected I've learned to be assertive about setting them.

Each person's boundary is different. I wouldn't mind sharing information about the train and answering questions about things viewed outside in the dining car or lounge car. I would be very annoyed if I was sitting in coach with my headphones listening to music and then be disturbed by somebody's child approaching me to play a game or to be randomly handed a card with a message on it.

I am sure you will have a better trip because of your research. And I am sure your children will enjoy the trip and make many friends on the train.

Good luck.

I think honestly what probably got the most negative response (I know it sort of tripped me) was the idea of handing out "tickets" or taking pictures.

Otherwise, I'm all for well-behaved kids on trains.

Yeah - something I read on the internet. ;-) I suppose it might be more fun amongst family rather than strangers, eh?

As for pictures.... :eek: Of COURSE they're going to take pics! They were given a camera for the trip. I guess we'd better practice some photo-etiquette, too! I think a generic picture of the whole car with its passengers would be ok, wouldn't it? I know the train personnel are pretty good about posing for pics if you don't get in the way of their duties.

Think I'll start another thread about photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back