Train Ettiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of tho't train travelers might be a bit more relaxed as a group and more willing to interact with kids but I see now that they are like people everywhere in our society. Considering they seat strangers with each other in the dining car I tho't train manners might be different. :)

Ah well. I can certainly keep them on a leash and stay to ourselves. That's the easier thing for me anyway.

I'm not much into babysitting someone's kids that are running amuck. I would hope their is parental control in a public environment such as a closed vehicle where my space should be considered private. Just saying.

I will vote with Crabby on this one.

Mother contended that children should be buried at birth with headphones and feeding tubes and emerge at 21 well educated with jobs and health insurance. I would suggest that children and adults be well behaved. The lounge is a good place for them to interact with strangers, but at times I have seen it turn into Dante's inferno with screaming and yelling and running around with the parents failing to restrain them at all. Last summer on the Zeph I was glad I am virtually deaf with the raucous gang of six was so loud they ended up hurting even my de-sensitized ears. When I spoke to the parents I was rebuked and told to mind my own business. I strongly suggest you supervise any interaction and take the young lad out at smoke stops to let him run his little brains out.

Use this opportunity to hone their social skills, but in an adult manner. If they need someone to play a game with I might suggest you are the prime directive, not some stranger from St. Paul with bad teeth.

Let them enjoy the trip but not at the expense of others.

Train travellers are a rather relaxed group of people. However that doesn't mean they like their privacy or time interrupted. On the train your coach seat is your only little bubble of privacy.

Elsewhere, like in the dining car or the lounge car, things are much more relaxed.

In my humble opinion:

Children aboard a train should be supervised and under the control of the adults with them.

Other passengers should not be expected to interact or entertain them.

Children shouldn't give out 'tickets' to adults willing to play along with them. I don't find that amusing or appropriate.

I'm traveling for my own pleasure and someone else's kids don't figure into my plans.

image.jpg
How did you get your nickname? ;)

Also, keep in mind you will have electrical outlets, so a DVD player with headphones can do wonders.
Yep. Definitely have the kids bring their favorite electronic devices and headphones to stay quietly occupied. You will have your own power outlets.
Yeah, right. Don't let them be distracted by beautiful scenery. There are so many more educational options rather than letting them get zombied out on games, etc. If by chance the Trails and Rails guys are in the SSL car do not miss some time with them.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/amtraktrailsandrails/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Many good suggestions above. Also, perhaps study up on what types of trains you will see passing you or in the stations, then try to identify them when you see them. Starting with the basics--difference between a passenger train and a freight--then perhaps the different types of freight. And different types of engines. There are books with photos that will explain all this, but someone on here will know more than I do about where/how to find them.

Also, perhaps a good comparison with train travel is the public rooms (lobby, dining room, etc.) of a nice hotel. The good manners you would expect from your children in a hotel setting would work just as well on a train, as well as the cautions above (don't let them talk to strangers without you around).

Finally, please understand that we are trying to help and make sure that you all have a great trip, with no nasty surprises. I hope it goes well for you :) .

Sis ---

You've heard the extremes, as well as the middle ground. The train is just a rolling small town, with people of all stripes. Some will want to interact with the kids, and some will want to keep to themselves. As kids grow up, they learn how to tell the difference. It's part of normal socialization. They shouldn't approach others if you're not around, and they should introduce themselves to adults with their first name only --- no last names. Most people, whether on the train or in the general population, are fine and honorable, but you should use a normal level of caution in the presence of strangers. In the highly unlikely event that you encounter a stranger whose behavior is inappropriate, you need to notify a uniformed Amtrak employee right away. However, it's highly unlikely that this will be an issue. I suggest that you should stick with them, but not keep them on an actual or figurative leash.

There are likely to be other children on the train, especially if you are traveling when school is not in session, so they are likely to find playmates. As mentioned, running is a terrible idea on a moving train, whether the runner is an adult or a child. Amtrak employees don't do it even if they are in a hurry, and they have better "sea legs" than you have. Likewise, the seats, armrests, and luggage racks are not to be used as a jungle gym. There are a few places where the kids might be able to exercise onboard. Sometimes the area behind the last coach seat is occupied by luggage; but if it's open, it probably provides enough space for an 8-year-old to do some pushups or situps. The lower level lounge space may have a bit of floor space if there are no other passengers there. The kids need to avoid intruding on other passengers' space (a courtesy issue) and they need to avoid blocking the aisles (a safety issue). Quiet games, reading, or movies at your coach seat are great. Someone mentioned maps. Nowadays, everybody uses computerized maps; but I believe you might do well to contact the Visitors' Bureau for the States you will be crossing, and get paper maps that the kids can use for reference. I'm very old fashioned, and I truly believe this is a great way to become geographically literate (seemingly a lost art in America).

If there are three of you, you will probably be given a table of your own in the dining car. If there is heavy demand, the fourth seat at your table might be occupied by a single passenger. If that happens, encourage the kids to be sociable, but not pushy. Again, this is a learning opportunity, and it's part of the socialization that is an important part of growing up.

You are traveling in coach as a family, so I imagine the budget is important, to one degree or another. You can save some money by bringing some of your own food. There are some other recent threads that discuss these issues. Dried fruit, such as raisins, are great. They're not too expensive, they're compact, and they don't spoil easily.

This should be a great experience for the kids. During your Chicago layover, you should be able to explore the downtown area, have a nice meal, and maybe visit Grant Park and/or the Art Institute of Chicago on Michigan Avenue. Just walk a couple blocks east on Jackson Street to the el, take the el to the Adams/Wabash station, then walk a block east to Michigan Avenue. The museum will be across the street.

Have a great trip!

Tom

I assure you I am not a free-range parent! I tend to keep the reins a little too tight and am trying to feel my way to an acceptable level of looseness for the kid's sake.
You needn't apologize. Free range is not a synonym for what used to be called permissiveness. As best I can gather, it's a reaction to obsessive over protectiveness and helicopter parenting.

That being said, and maybe it's my age, but I find it weird what a child comes up to me in public and asks my name. On the other hand, commenting about the scenery and asking questions like what is that canyon down there, what's the next stop, which way to the restrooms is perfectly normal.

May I assume one's seat mate may be addressed? I've had the experience in airplanes where it seems to be presumed that seat mates exist in other dimensions at times and cannot be communicated with. How uncomfortable that is! I expect my time to be consumed with the kids and Jane Eyre but I am at least open to communication with others. I'm beginning to feel the train is a bit more elitist than other forms of transportation. ??

A jungle gym?!!! :eek: I hope not! The little guy (and he is small for his age) is very active but I might have to tape him to his seat if he tries something like THAT! Visiting a park in Chicago sounds a little intimidating to me but the more I learn about the area the more comfortable I am in venturing out. You make it sound like it may be safe to do so - a woman and 2 children?

In my opinion, it's probably a lot more elitist than a bus, but not as formal, isolated, and uptight as a plane. Casual conversation with a seatmate or other nearby passengers is very common.

Tom

I'd say the train is a mixed bag of personalities. If you were to speak to me, I'd be willing to talk with you. I'm a tad shy, so I'm less likely to start a conversation with strangers, but I have, even in planes, sometimes. Just play it by ear. Try to start a conversation and if they don't respond, so be it.

The loop area of Chicago is very busy in the daylight hours, with lots of people around. Also, the el is very well patronized. People with bad intentions would rather carry out their nefarious schemes in places and at times when there aren't likely to be so many witnesses. My advice would be different at night.

....and there have been times when I've had to extricate a child --- and occasionally an adult --- from the overhead luggage rack. Can't make this stuff up.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
A jungle gym?!!! :eek: I hope not! The little guy (and he is small for his age) is very active but I might have to tape him to his seat if he tries something like THAT! Visiting a park in Chicago sounds a little intimidating to me but the more I learn about the area the more comfortable I am in venturing out. You make it sound like it may be safe to do so - a woman and 2 children?
Chicago is not a bad place. I'm a "little old lady" and I've walked blocks by my self and/or with others and felt safe. Sure, there are areas, like most towns, to avoid, but I don't think you'd have to worry about that.

If you can find it in your budget, you should go to the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower which is only a few blocks east of Union Station (across the river on Jackson). http://theskydeck.com/ I bet the kids would love this. Just be aware the lines can be long, so be aware of how much time you have before you need to be back to the station.

Sis...Hey! You are really overthinking all this and becoming paranoid and almost defensive. Lots of good tips, guidelines, and suggestions. Sort them out and find some comfortable middle ground. Tom, above is really someone to listen to....just read his bio! I guarantee you one thing....you will have a memorable journey. Sure, there will be a few hitches/glitches, but that makes it exciting. We look forward to your return and trip report. Bon Voyage.

Oh golly, we've covered lots of territory on the train with our 6-yo boy. He's a gregarious little fellow and, like any child, certainly needs to wriggle and move. We have had nothing but pleasant experiences with other train passengers and it's usually our son who manages to make first contact with adults and kids alike. If your kids are capable of having a perfectly normal conversation w/ a beginning, middle, and end on terra firma, they'll do just fine talking to folks on a train. Running, acrobatics, and tom foolery on board aren't cool from a safety perspective, which my boy understands perfectly well. You may find that the act of being on the train changes them a little too. It's a soothing experience for many kids, so much to see and take in, that you may be surprised how much time is spent looking out the window. It's a great opportunity to talk and the train ride usually unearths at least a few topics that are on my son's mind.

If either of your kids are "in" to trains, you'll almost certainly wind up in conversation with a railfan or two. We simply cannot help ourselves, swapping big fish stories and tellings travel tales.

As for burning off energy, we get out at the fresh air stops and do time trial sprints of the length of the train, some stretches, and jumping jacks. We also take pictures next to/underneath the station signs as a record of where we've been.

National Geographic makes a terrific kids road atlas that has lots of fun information about the states you're passing through. Coupled with the good old rand mcnally, you can trace your route across the country and learn some fun facts along the way. While I don't think that electronic devices are a necessary evil for kids on trains, they can be relied upon to burn up an hour or two. An iPod loaded with some great travel songs is a lot of fun - think songs like I've been Everywhere, On the Road Again, Wagon Wheel, City of New Orleans, Leaving Train, Glory Bound, Downtown Train...

Visiting a park in Chicago sounds a little intimidating to me but the more I learn about the area the more comfortable I am in venturing out. You make it sound like it may be safe to do so - a woman and 2 children?
Millennium Park (right along Michigan Ave) and the bridge connected Maggie Daley park are a GREAT place to allow the kids to run around and release some energy. Children regularly run around in the fountain with images of people spitting water out. And there's even rock.climbing walls!

Or walk by Daley Plaza and see the Picasso sculpture. (Ask the kids for their ideas on what it is.) It isn't unusual to see kids climbing up around on it, either.

Of course, I'm a big fan of Buckingham fountain, which is both beautiful and spouts interesting water patterns (including a high, towering spray.) Across the street, at Queen's Landing, you can see boats in the harbor. And, if you have time, even take a short tourist lake cruise.

For something free (the Art Institute is great but does cost about $25 admission, the aquarium is a lot cheaper) drop by the Chicago Cultural.Center, right across the street from Millennium Park. The old main library, it has some wonderful.features (like a grand Tiffany dome) and interesting exhibits. FREE!!!!

You could also take a walk down Boul Mich to the river. You can head down to the river and take a walk. Then cross the Michigan Avenue bridge (appreciate the view and the architecture all around) and head up to the Tribune Tower. There are stones and bricks encased in the facade from important buildings across the world. Walk inside the lobby and appreciate the mural with important quotations. Very educational.

If you get in on time and want to venture out a bit further, take the 151 bus from Union Station to Lincoln Park. The Zoo is free. The History Museum and Peggy Notabeart Nature Museum are reasonably priced. Of course, Navy Pier has a children's museum.

Don't just waste your time in Chicago sitting around the lounge, waiting for a change of trains. But, while there, do take some time to explore and appreciate the station and its history, especially the Great Hall.

I remember well a trip.where a child, traveling with her grandparents, hit it off well with me and kept up a conversation which continued on and off over hours. She even.asked me to do.some coloring in her book. A fellow passenger commented on how well I adjusted to the situation and just treated her like an.equal. Admittedly, at some point I did get a little tired and weary, at which point the grand parents noticed my need to rest and respectfully pulled her back.

I also recall the boy on another trip who practically scolded me for still having a flip phone, at a time after they had become uncommon. Lol.

In a Superliner coach car there is space at the end of each car between the back wall and the rows of seats where a child could do push ups.

Sometimes, the Train Attendant - Coach puts tall cardboard trash containers in that space.

I'm with Sproutis on this one. On a TRAIN trip with kids, I would emphasize the TRAIN part. Kids can run, jump, play, holler, scream anywhere--but there are few places other than a train they can sit, watch our country roll by, check out cool equipment, walk through sliding doors, eat a meal while rocking side to side, move cross state lines one after another, check out the cool uniforms of conductors and so forth.

My point is, keep them interested in the TRAIN travel as much as possible. This requires some advance prep by the parent--the atlas was mentioned, great maps you can spread out, markers to trace your progress on the maps, postcards of some of the places you're traveling through, a conductor's hat to wear, maybe even age appropriate toys, like toy train cars, you could bring along.

As for interaction with other passengers, my observation is that many train passengers are "of a certain age," they like their peace and quiet, they have their own kids and grandkids, and probably enjoy getting some time away from them--hence the LONG train trips! That's just a guess.

This reminds me of a time there was a kid who I saw (about 8 yrs old) who passed me multiple times, looking in vain for someone young enough to play with him. He found a kid about 2 rows up, who was about 14, and watched him play games for awhile. His dad came (and frankly, more loudly than his kid) and scolded the kid for bothering the 14 year old (who was totally not bothered by it, in fact, he was showing him how to play). I ran into the kid in the cafe and bought the kid a pack of playing cards so that he would have something to do.

Anyways, there are some people who are more willing to be nice to kids than others. I, personally, do not mind kids and if they are on a train and they come up to me, I might talk to them a bit about trains and railroad stuff, and I usually have a train souvenir on me that I give to them. I would suggest if they get antsy to either bring games for them, or if there are other kids around ask the parents if your children can play with their children.

Add one more count to taking paper maps/atlas, ones they can write on. Also suggest a cheap camera for each child with limited photos so they have to ration themselves. On the map, write down where/when photos were taken, time and place of highlights or stations where seen, where the tracks are (most road maps no longer show them), anything else they think of. This is the right age to learn about map basics. Pick up print time tables for each route, too, and note actual vs scheduled stops.

If they are busy with maps in the lounge car, other people will ask questions about current location and schedule.

Take along games and puzzles that can be shared with others on the train. Kids tend to gravitate to each other in the lounge car. We started taking our granddaughter on long distance trips when she was 7, and she's never been bored or lonely on a train.

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back