Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. The stupid -- it burns. This is definitely politically motivated BS.

Only way to do something about this is for passengers to complain. I mean, yes, Amtrak will find lower ridership and revenue due to the stupid cuts, but if passengers complain, it'll make it much more obvious that the cuts are idiotic.

Thank you for the report of more idiotic and destructive cuts, Tom.

Reducing the lounge space on a train that crowded is *completely* insane and will just make people angry.
But you must remember, earlier in the thread we were told that this would save routes, jobs, etc. ;)

How interesting. Five of the top 9, however, are X - Washington DC with one being X - Richmond. Charleston-NYC is the longest in the top 9 list. This stays just barely under the two-meal range, which seems to support my theory that you need diners if you want to get people to ride across three meals. Savannah-NY is not in the top 9 on the ridership list though it makes the revenue list.

It does seem that NYC is the 800-pound gorilla for US intercity train travel; more people will ride further in coach from NYC than from other places. Not totally clear on why, but it shows up in bus statistics too.
Well, the NYC metro region is the epicenter of rail transit and passenger rail in the US. The city has a rather large number of people who don't have cars and will take trains and buses to get to their destinations. More so than any other region or city in the US by a comfortable margin.
To put it into perspective, even after decades of higher population growth outside the Northeast, just NYC itself with 8.34 million (2012 Census estimates) has a larger population than the combined total of North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Idaho of 6.57 million. Now that is a difference in population density.

Hi, I'm back to... kill the idiocy of pension discussions right here in the bud. Employees with pensions are absolutely the death of America, aren't they? Um, no, no they aren't. Management of pension plans by company management is the problem, not the pension themselves.

It is my duty, as a lifetime employer, to provide my employee with enough money to live in a manner according to his station in life, and to provide that he can retire from my employee when he is no longer able to work for me, and as a reward and compensation for all those years duly serving me, can retire and live in the manner that he has become accustomed. If you can't afford to operate on employing somebody at that level, you can't afford the employee, stupid.

Actuarial tables show how long the average person is supposed to live, a number that has been going up at a fairly consistent overall rate for years and years and years. When you decide to offer your employees a pension plan- something I've been contemplating doing as of late, by the by- you have to work out how much it costs you. You have a typical old fashioned worker. He starts working for you at 20 or so, retires around 65, works for you for forty-five years. Right? Right.

Ok, so in todays dollars, Mr. Worker Dude works for me at, say, 30,000 a year. Lets assume no inflation, and no resulting raises, and an interest rate ahead of inflation at 3%, for simplicity of math. Actuarial tables suggest Mr. Worker Dude is going to live until he is approximately 90 years old (again, this is 40 years in the future, most people don't live to 90, but I should account for the fact that the average lifespan keeps going up). Ok. Fine. All well and good.

The pension plan keeps Mr. Worker Dude on at 2/3rds his working wage, social security and the fact that he should no longer have a home mortgage making his pensioned income match his working income. Ok. Time for the math all the other corporations should have been doing.

He does not make 30,000 working for me- thats his take home pay. Common trick stating the full amount, so that people can compare it with their take-home pay. No, employment costs way more than take home pay. Providing for the employees break area, workers compensation, etc. etc. makes it much higher, and the pension is part of the payment. Period. Its not just part of the payment- it is part of what the employee earns.

Anyway, employee will make 30,000 a year in salary, plus 10,000 a year in basic benefits (health insurance, workers comp, provided protection equipment, paid vacation and sick leave, etc) for 45 years, or $1.8 million. For a $20,000 a year pension, it will cost me $25k a year including the continued lifetime benefits, so if he lives until he is 90 I need to support him for 25 years at $25k, or $625,000.

Using a retirement calculator, we find that we need to prepare, under the parameters I laid out, to lay aside $6800 per additional employee per year. So the cost of that typical employee working those parameters with take home pay of $30,000 is $46800 a year. That $6800 per employee should be considered a separate account at the company. It should be untouchable, designed to fund each employees retirement. If there are less employees now, well thats irrelevant, because by the time Mr. Dude is retired, the amount I have contributed into the fund on his behalf should have provided the $625,000 I need to pay off his pension.

The bull-**** of Ponzi schemes, funnels, bubbles, and so on is just a company's way of trying to blame the fact that they mismanaged their business and possibly their retirement funds on the employees. That money should be set aside and separate from day to day management and operations of the business. They can, I suppose, use it to invest in their own business, paying the returns on it back to the fund with interest. Its as valid a place as any to try to generate that 3% return betting on your own competence. But the fact that you can't fund the company because you made that bet and lost is NOT the fault of retirement benefit drains. Its the fault of you screwing up your management of your business.

I'm not saying I am a perfect businessman, or that I haven't bet funds I perhaps shouldn't have been playing with on my belief that my next project was going to yield huge returns. I do that. But when I bet my money and lose it, its my fault. When I bet my employees pension benefits, and lose it, it is also my fault. When I promise to offer benefits, it is my job to recognize that providing that costs me $6800 extra a year for Mr. Dude, and consider that part of his compensation. Period.

He isn't draining me. He is working for me. If a satisfied worker, secure in his knowledge that his retirement and future are secure so long as he does good solid work for me, he is probably working hard for my benefit. It is my DUTY to guide my firm in a way that provides security for my workers livelihood (I build my empire with their hands, man), as well as make a decent living for myself (and I don't blast large salaries to competent management, either), and provide a fair return for my shareholders/investors.

So please, drop the retirement funds killing companies argument. Its a load of poppycock. People will blame anyone for doing something wrong, regardless of who the fault lays with.
Dude! So glad to see you're back! Missed ya!

As many of you know I'm a journalist in my day job. I was also the one posted the original information on the cuts from an advisory that clearly came from Amtrak (I've seen their official internal advisories before in FOIA requests). That's why I had no qualms about reposting the information here. I think the public has a legitimate right to know about the cuts Amtrak (a government owned corporation) is making to their services.

The document that is now circling on the internet purports to shows a list of cuts to be made to the Auto Train. While I don't doubt that these cuts are coming (given the other cuts and the political situation Amtrak faces)... I caution that the document looks very unofficial. It could be the exact cuts that are to be made, it could just an early draft of them, it could also be a proposal that has been scrapped. Another possibility... it's a hoax.

I'm saddened to say that I think these cuts to the Auto Train are likely real... But until we see an official internal advisory... I'd treat it with just a touch of healthy skepticism.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

I wonder why folks are still inclined to doubt these cuts. Is there any information that actually contradicts these claims or are are the naysayers simply assuming inertia holds sway over change? How many times have leaked Amtrak cuts turned out to be a hoax in the past and what reason would someone have for creating such a hoax? So far as I can tell these cuts are not only believable, they also line up well with the public positions of legislators and management with the power to force them. In my estimate anything up to and including loss of traditional dining cars would be within the realm of easy reasoning. I'd be far more likely to doubt a leaked report claiming new and additional services because it wouldn't fit anything else we've been seeing anywhere or hearing from anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can easily see the cuts to the ATs dining car, but went whoa when I saw the cut to the lounge car. That train needs two lounge cars- either of them become quite full as it is, and it wouldn't save much to cut one.

I can easily see the cuts to the ATs dining car, but went whoa when I saw the cut to the lounge car. That train needs two lounge cars- either of them become quite full as it is, and it wouldn't save much to cut one.
If the info is correct, the lounge car is being replaced with a coach car, so that change is about increasing capacity for revenue sales - on a ever more crowded train. However, I think discussions of the cuts to the AT should move to the new thread that lays out exactly what changes are being made and the cost savings/impacts of the changes.

Just got an e-mail from Amtrak:

Dear Amtrak Sleeping Car Passenger,

In an effort to be good stewards of the federal funding received to operate our Amtrak service, a number of steps are being taken to eliminate losses in our Food and Beverage department over the next five years. Some of the changes being made to accomplish this include the discontinuation of select amenities on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Lake Shore Limited.

On or about March 31, 2014, the pre-departure refreshments and on-board wine and cheese tastings for Sleeping car passengers will no longer be offered on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, or Lake Shore Limited. Additionally, the complimentary sparkling wine, non-alcoholic cider, and chocolate squares will no longer be provided to Sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Sleeping car passengers will continue to receive all regular meals in the Dining car at no additional charge, and passengers may purchase cheese and cracker trays and other snacks, as well as liquor, wine and beer, in the Lounge car on all long- distance trains.

On approximately May 31, 2014, complimentary amenity kits will no longer be provided to sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Your Sleeping car attendant will continue to have select emergency toiletries on hand when needed.

While it is never easy to tell you, our valued customers, that we are eliminating some amenities, these changes are necessary in order to reduce costs, increase revenues and preserve passenger rail service across our country. If you have any questions or comments about these changes, feel free to contact me using the “contact us” link on the Amtrak.com home page.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely,

Mark Murphy

General Manager, Long -Distance Services
I especially like "passengers may purchase cheese and cracker trays and other snacks, as well as liquor, wine and beer, in the Lounge car." I just hope that I don't get additional e-mails for each of the other 7 reservations I have on the Empire Builder this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

While it is never easy to tell you, our valued customers, that we are eliminating some amenities, these changes are necessary in order to ... preserve passenger rail service across our country.

Hooray!!! Amtrak is saved by cutting out Juice!!! *Salutes Broken Arrows*

Well it's good that this e-mail was sent out so that passengers would not be surprised.

What continues to drive me crazy is there HAS to be a way to have the wine and cheese tastings profitable. Charge whatever it costs.. $5 a person, $10 a person.. even $15 a person if necessary. The staff is already there and getting paid. How much does it cost to stock the extra wines, and stock the cheese?

If people aren't willing to pay what it costs.. then say "sorry we can't lose money on having this amenity"

But every time someone eats wine or cheese on board a train, John Mica gets a >< little bit angrier.

The are a number of new breweries and distillors that I'm sure can be convinced to provide free samples of their product to build a customer base, that someone at Amtrak can talk to into supplying a couple of weeks worth of goods. Amtrak feeds the passengers with booze for nothing, and the startups get free advertising. Win/Win.

In an effort to be good stewards of the federal funding received to operate our Amtrak service, a number of steps are being taken to eliminate losses in our Food and Beverage department over the next five years. Some of the changes being made to accomplish this include the discontinuation of select amenities on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Lake Shore Limited.

On or about March 31, 2014, the pre-departure refreshments and on-board wine and cheese tastings for Sleeping car passengers will no longer be offered on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, or Lake Shore Limited. Additionally, the complimentary sparkling wine, non-alcoholic cider, and chocolate squares will no longer be provided to Sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Sleeping car passengers will continue to receive all regular meals in the Dining car at no additional charge, and passengers may purchase cheese and cracker trays and other snacks, as well as liquor, wine and beer, in the Lounge car on all long- distance trains.

On approximately May 31, 2014, complimentary amenity kits will no longer be provided to sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Your Sleeping car attendant will continue to have select emergency toiletries on hand when needed.

While it is never easy to tell you, our valued customers, that we are eliminating some amenities, these changes are necessary in order to reduce costs, increase revenues and preserve passenger rail service across our country. If you have any questions or comments about these changes, feel free to contact me using the “contact us” link on the Amtrak.com home page.

Sincerely,

Mark Murphy

I especially like "passengers may purchase cheese and cracker trays and other snacks, as well as liquor, wine and beer, in the Lounge car." I just hope that I don't get additional e-mails for each of the other 7 reservations I have on the Empire Builder this year.
What I don't get is why AMTRAK.COM continues its false advertising.

I copied the following from http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train at 7:20 pm EDT today [3/18/2014]:

Each sleeping car passenger will receive complimentary meals (with the exception of alcohol) in the Dining Car or the Parlour Car, a special welcome gift and a personal amenities kit that includes shampoo, soaps and lotions. A daily tasting of local wines and artisan cheeses is available in the refurbished Pacific Parlour Car.

If I see that language still posted as of April 1, I will certainly be using the "contact us" link on the amtrak site. At the very least, they should be posting at the site something saying that the wine tastings and amenities kits are soon ending. They know these things are ending, yet they fail to mention that fact.

Sincerely,

Mark Murphy

What I don't get is why AMTRAK.COM continues its false advertising.

I copied the following from http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train at 7:20 pm EDT today [3/18/2014]:

Each sleeping car passenger will receive complimentary meals (with the exception of alcohol) in the Dining Car or the Parlour Car, a special welcome gift and a personal amenities kit that includes shampoo, soaps and lotions. A daily tasting of local wines and artisan cheeses is available in the refurbished Pacific Parlour Car.

If I see that language still posted as of April 1, I will certainly be using the "contact us" link on the amtrak site. At the very least, they should be posting at the site something saying that the wine tastings and amenities kits are soon ending. They know these things are ending, yet they fail to mention that fact.
yup

Well I should be on the CS on 3/23 and on the EB on 3/26. I'll report back re: wine and cheese tastings!

I would also be glad to pay $10 to attend a wine and cheese tasting.

Me too. :) We we went to Napa, we paid a flat fee to sample several wines at the wineries. I wouldn't mind paying $10 to sample wine and cheese on the train. It sounds lovely.

I am awaiting some sort of a reply to my letter concerning this which I posted here last week that was sent to Mr. Boardman. If I just receive a form letter, then a stronger worded letter may be sent. I stand by what I wrote. And, I told Customer Service that I do not want a voucher for future travel. I appreciated the last one, but I did not write that letter to get freebies.

Me too. :) We we went to Napa, we paid a flat fee to sample several wines at the wineries. I wouldn't mind paying $10 to sample wine and cheese on the train. It sounds lovely.
Wouldn't you want this offered on all routes? Even at a fee? Something about wanting all routes to offer the same amenities.....

Wouldn't you want this offered on all routes? Even at a fee? Something about wanting all routes to offer the same amenities.....
Yes, I figured that was implied. I've spoken often of how interesting it would be to have regional wines and/or mixers offered on the various LD routes. In my response, I was referring to all trains, not just the EB and such. I've never been on a train with a wine and cheese tasting, and I've always wished they would have that on all of the trains. If cost is an issue, then I don't mind paying $10 to sample the goods, so to speak.

As I recall, they tried that.

They'd be better off adding that ten bucks to the accomodation fare. Few people would even notice it.

As I recall, they tried that.

They'd be better off adding that ten bucks to the accomodation fare. Few people would even notice it.
The problem is... the "fare" would still be going towards free wine instead of covering amtrak costs. That's how the politicians would see it. If a wine and cheese tasting were to cost money.. and it totally covered it's expenses and even made a small profit... I don't see how anyone would complain from the political parties.

Does anyone know weather it worked to charge $5? Does anyone have any guestimates on what it actually costs to have a wine and cheese tasting on a train? Obviously cost of the product but what am I missing... the extra fees for the commisarry to load the products and inventory them? Extra plates and wine glasses and the extra potential "loss" for the wine glasses being used for this service?

Of course the wine tasting always generated sales of the wine.. In fact I thought the sales of the wines themselves covered the costs of the tastings.. but perhaps not?

I'd imagine this would be difficult to police... it's pretty hard to sequester off a specific part of a train without stranding somebody somewhere in the consist, and "Pass-throughs" will invariably see the stuff out and go "Ooo! Freebies!"

As I stated before the cuts are saving Amtrak peanuts at the expense of the highest paying customers that contribute the most to their bottom line.. I say move the coach seats closer and cram them in as they do on the airlines. I don't see why sleeper class has to experience all of the cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back