Amenities Being Eliminated from Long Distance Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a little frustrated with the amount of virtual ink we waste bemoaning cuts like this. If we want to do something constructive to improve passenger rail service, we need to let our elected representatives know that we want it. I'll be on Capitol Hill on April 29 to do just that. Will you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a little frustrated with the amount of virtual ink we waste bemoaning cuts like this. If we want to do something constructive to improve passenger rail service, we need to let our elected representatives know that we want it. I'll be on Capitol Hill on April 29 to do just that. Will you?
Good man Charlie. 'Ya got one more to go!

NARP Day on The Hill & Spring Council Meeting Registration Form - April 28-30, 2014Thank you for registering for NARP's Spring Council Meeting. Your response has been recorded...........

Good man Charlie. 'Ya got one more to go!

NARP Day on The Hill & Spring Council Meeting Registration Form - April 28-30, 2014Thank you for registering for NARP's Spring Council Meeting. Your response has been recorded...........
Outstanding! Who else can we get? Can we put together an AU mini-gathering?

no, i won't be on capitol hill, charlie. family, work and financial obligations preclude that.

no, i won't be on capitol hill, charlie. family, work and financial obligations preclude that.
I understand. But please contact Rep. McMorris Rodgers, and Senators Murray and Cantwell, and tell them that you support improved passenger rail service. Of particular interest in that district: we need daylight service between SPK and SEA, preferably via Pasco, Ellensburg and Auburn, over Stampede Pass. The infrastructure is already in place, so the cost would be relatively small.

As I stated before the cuts are saving Amtrak peanuts at the expense of the highest paying customers that contribute the most to their bottom line.. I say move the coach seats closer and cram them in as they do on the airlines. I don't see why sleeper class has to experience all of the cuts.
There was an initiative proposed in the 2012 PIP reports to add 4 to 6 additional seats to all Superliner coach cars. The seat pitch would be reduced from 50-52 to 46-48 inches which still a lot compared to economy or business class airline seats. This would obviously boost coach capacity for the peak traffic periods across the LD system. What is the status of this plan, don't know.

What continues to drive me crazy is there HAS to be a way to have the wine and cheese tastings profitable. Charge whatever it costs.. $5 a person, $10 a person.. even $15 a person if necessary. The staff is already there and getting paid. How much does it cost to stock the extra wines, and stock the cheese?
I wonder if the underlying problem here is that "cheese and wine" are considered products big bad liberals enjoy while "real Americans" prefer a can of taste bud numbing Miller Time.

Dead horse time yet?
That time passed about day two of this thread.
You want some cheese with that whine?

I wonder if the underlying problem here is that "cheese and wine" are considered products big bad liberals enjoy while "real Americans" prefer a can of taste bud numbing Miller Time.
There's probably something to that.

You want some cheese with that whine?
I'm sorry, those amenities have also been discontinued. You're welcome to purchase a slim jim and some Coors if you'd like a refreshment.

There's probably something to that.
Agreed. Look at the news articles that rant about the poor, little taxpayers "subsidizing" the wine and cheese tastings on the trains. I believe there was an article out of... Atlanta?... over the Christmas holiday that got a lot of buzz on here.

Distasteful comments like the last few will win few to your side.

If there is any association with cheese and wine, it isn't "Grr, liberal foods" but rather of wealth and class with the implicit question of "Why are we subsidizing the wealthy?"

Who knows what some anonymous eavesdropper hiding in the shadows thinks? If you have something of value to contribute then bring it into the light where it can be considered and debated the same as anyone else.

If there is any association with cheese and wine, it isn't "Grr, liberal foods" but rather of wealth and class with the implicit question of "Why are we subsidizing the wealthy?"
Here in the "Freedom Fries" era there is a lot of phony symbolism being used to promote ignorant prejudices that help influence real policy. If the issue is giving wealthy people too much of a tax break then why isn't the House of Representatives pushing for larger landing fees, steeper facilities charges, and higher departure taxes for private jets? Why aren't they pushing to raise taxes on the purchase and use of private yachts and supercars? The closest that the obscenely wealthy ever get to Amtrak is on the back of the train in their own private car. Those handful of swanky palaces on wheels where the well to do relax with drinks and meals no Amtrak commissary is likely to stock. If the issue is really about wealth then where is all the clamoring for higher private car fees?

Who knows what some anonymous eavesdropper hiding in the shadows thinks? If you have something of value to contribute then bring it into the light where it can be considered and debated the same as anyone else.

Here in the "Freedom Fries" era there is a lot of phony symbolism being used to promote ignorant prejudices that help influence real policy. If the issue is giving wealthy people too much of a tax break then why isn't the House of Representatives pushing for larger landing fees, steeper facilities charges, and higher departure taxes for private jets? Why aren't they pushing to raise taxes on the purchase and use of private yachts and supercars? The closest that the obscenely wealthy ever get to Amtrak is on the back of the train in their own private car. Those handful of swanky palaces on wheels where the well to do relax with drinks and meals no Amtrak commissary is likely to stock. If the issue is really about wealth then where is all the clamoring for higher private car fees?
You're missing the point, DA. Politicians never campaign against the ACTUALLY wealthy - that'd bite the hand that feeds them.

The grandstand against the APPEARANCE of wealthy, to placate the masses... all while they know they're owned by the ACTUAL wealthy lock, stock and barrel. ;)

TrainLoverJoy said:
It also said preboarding snacks would no longer be offered......does that mean the chips/cookies served in the Metropolitan Lounge will be gone I wonder. I did enjoy those!
Does anyone know if this is true? That the various Lounge (ClubAcela, Metro, etc) snacks (chips, danish, cookies, soda, juice, etc) are being eliminated too?

Someone in Amtrak told that me on the AT, besides losing the wine and cheese, wine at dinner, and the sleeper lounge car itself, the fruit in the lounge car is being cut right after supplies run out, the small bottles of water in the sleeper rooms are in danger of being cut, but the coffee machines are safe for now. So I would say anything is possible at this point.

This is what I'd like to see on Amtrak, for the appropriate fee:

Deluxe%20Sleeper%20Glam%20Shot.jpg

Alas, the image below seems to be what a large number of people would be "happy with"

patients.jpg

Top bunk even gets bedside beverage service!

You think I jest.......................... Soon it will be nothing more than a flat bed, with a door that (sometimes) closes....

Oh the wasted opportunities..........

patients.jpg

And the bottom bunk has a smoking lounge. :D

Is this the type of car that people refer to here as the old "slumber" car?

I think in an old I Love Lucy, Fred and Ethel Mertz road in such a train car to save money while Ricky, Lucy, and Lucy's mother had immensely large bedroom suites.

patients.jpg

And the bottom bunk has a smoking lounge. :D

Is this the type of car that people refer to here as the old "slumber" car?

I think in an old I Love Lucy, Fred and Ethel Mertz road in such a train car to save money while Ricky, Lucy, and Lucy's mother had immensely large bedroom suites.
No, no, no, this is not the "Slumber Coach" they were outfitted with tiny one or two person "rooms" Still had a private room, but very cozy, closest thing to having "just a bed for flat space"

This looks like, (no expert here) a made-for-the-military dormitory or most likely hospital car. (notice the wooden 2X4 braces)

Prior to Superliner introduction, I did sleep in Amtrak dormitory car on SW Chief. I thought, "Hey, top bunk (of three) will be fun." My Gawd, I almost bounced out of that bunk several times............... I soon learned one reason to report EARLY when working the Chief, "Bottom Bunk".

I think Fred and Ethel Mertz were in something more like this, (I called "Sectional" but believe the proper term is "Section") They are basically open seats, that covert to a bed at night, but your "privacy" is only a heavy curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dfg9H-KH5Y

Many of the WWII era military Sleepers were converted box cars, yet service was still provided by Pullman and the Porters did the best they could to maintain Pullman quality, including providing the famous Pullman blankets.

On the Capitol Limited yesterday at breakfast, the service attendant asked us to call or write our congressmen to plead that dining cars be retained on long distance routes. There, she said, was pressure to get rid of the diners. Hope that isn't true. That would be the loss of an amenity (necessity?) that would keep me riding LD trains.

On the Capitol Limited yesterday at breakfast, the service attendant asked us to call or write our congressmen to plead that dining cars be retained on long distance routes. There, she said, was pressure to get rid of the diners. Hope that isn't true. That would be the loss of an amenity (necessity?) that would keep me riding LD trains.
No need to wonder as several members of congress have already gone on the record attacking Amtrak in general and the dining operation in particular. I'm not sure why this information isn't getting out but it's real and it's having a demonstrable impact. But hey, US airlines removed most of the amenities too and yet Americans still ride them so what's the harm right?

This is what I'd like to see on Amtrak, for the appropriate fee:

Deluxe%20Sleeper%20Glam%20Shot.jpg

Alas, the image below seems to be what a large number of people would be "happy with"

patients.jpg

You think I jest.......................... Soon it will be nothing more than a flat bed, with a door that (sometimes) closes....

Oh the wasted opportunities..........
Oh, I thought this was our AU group on its way to another Gathering. :) I am not sure if this is what we mean when we say Party Train :giggle: Was that Penny in her private bedroom while the remainder of us are in the dorm car.?/ :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back