Diner-lounge 37000

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
As I noted earlier, I booked a ticket on train 29(16) from WAS to CHI to try out Amtrak's new diner-lounge, currently running on the Capitol Limited. As I understand it, the car will be running (in its current configuration) until the end of February, at which time the car will go in for modifications based on customer and employee feedback. Once that happens, I believe other cars will undergo modification as well.

Note that these are just the conversions of the existing dining cars. The conversion of sightseer lounges will occur later, and their configurations will be a bit different.

Originally, train 29(16) was supposed to have just the diner-lounge as the only food-service car. However, apparently, reservations for the train spiked at the last minute, and they decided to run a regular diner and the diner-lounge (though the mealtime menus were the same in both cars).

Anyway, the first indication of a different style of service came about 15-20 minutes after departure from Washington, when one of the LSAs took a cart through the train, selling snacks and drinks to passengers at their seats. This is currently done on the Hiawathas, and (I gather) the Acela Express, Pere Marquette, and perhaps a couple of other trains as well.

While the cart service was well-received by passengers (and I'm told they did about $58 in sales in the 10-20 minutes the cart was pushed through the coaches), my one concern is that it blocked the aisle quite a bit, especially as passengers were headed to the lounge. Perhaps they could build in a "passing siding" where the cart could duck out of the way to let others through. Otherwise, it's just like a few people trying to walk in opposite directions in the aisle (i.e. some folks will have to step out of the way and let the cart pass).

The lounge opened up right away, and dinner reservations were taken by the LSA that pushed the cart (reservations were required to eat in the regular diner, but not in the diner-lounge, which was serving the same menu). In fact, one extra nice touch was a "schedule" for the diner-lounge car, that was placed in the seat pockets of the coaches. It listed the scheduled departure time from DC (and Chicago), the time the car opened for service, when it closed, and when breakfast started and ended. It's always helpful to know when to expect the dining car to open, since it's not always announced the night before (and those that board in the middle of the night wouldn't necessarily hear those announcements anyway).

There were two service managers traveling on the train and actively soliciting passenger feedback. I spoke with both of them at length regarding their hopes and plans for the diner-lounge service.

As for the diner-lounge itself, there are two aspects: 1) the car, and 2) the service.

The car

When you walk in from the coaches, the cafe stand is on the upper level, facing right at you. This should help sales as it makes the cafe counter very visible. There are four tables on the cafe counter side, with seats alternating facing inwards (towards the aisle) and outwards (towards the windows).

If you walk past the cafe stand there's a narrow hallway that leads to the other side, where there are ten tables following the same alternating inwards/outwards pattern.

The car is very bright and inviting. However, the layout can lead to some confusion, as passengers from coach (assuming the car is facing the same direction) may not realize that there is additional lounge seating on the other side).

The alternating seating also can cause some issues, as the outwards- (window-) facing seats can seat two people for dinner comfortably (one on each side of the table), but four people would be a tough squeeze, given the semi-circular shape of the table. The inwards-facing seats have a table that is too small to be useful for anything other than holding drinks, and the table is also too far away from the seat, meaning you have to lean far forward in order to not spill stuff on your lap. In fact, there are already changes planned regarding the size of the tables and the angle of the seats facing the table, so that they can try and address these issues.

One sure-to-be crowd pleaser is the inclusion of plenty of electrical outlets for folks to charge their phones, computers, and other electronic devices. These are along the wall next to the tables of the window-facing seats. This could cause issues, though, as those are the best seats for dining car service, and the seats that are better for lounging (that face inwards) don't have outlets.

Another issue, which apparently they are already looking to address, is that the cafe counter window faces one way, and passengers coming from the other side (i.e. sleeper passengers) may not realize right away that there is a cafe counter on the other side. However, having an SA on duty in that car, in addition to the cafe counter LSA, can perhaps resolve that. Another solution is to move the entry door to the LSA's area, and put a dutch door/window in instead of a solid door and blank wall, as that would give passengers from the other end of the car a glimpse at what's available.

The service

One thing that pleased me was the return of steak to the menu. Ice cream has also made a repeat appearance, though it now comes in Haagen-Dazs single-serving tubs, rather than a scoop served in a dish. I ordered the steak ($21 on the menu), and it was very nicely done and quite tasty. However, the green beans served with it were somewhat rubbery.

Nevertheless, simplified dining service with the diner-lounge is sure to be better than SDS using the existing dining cars. The reason was explained to me by one of the service managers, in that the old dining cars were designed for the traditional service, whereas the diner-lounge was designed around SDS, and so it was designed to be run with a single chef, an LSA, and an SA. Apparently, that's why they were able to return steak to the menu.

The other, and primary, improvement in service/menu selection is that the car is basically open all day, with perhaps a slight break between breakfast and lunch. The diner-lounge features a breakfast menu, served from 6 am to 10 am, an "all-day" menu served from 11 am to 11 pm, and a dinner menu, served from 5-9 pm. Of course, the full benefits of this service can't be experienced on the Capitol Limited, which has a scheduled run of just 19 hours. However, when this service is rolled out on longer-distance trains, the all-day menu should prove to be more popular.

The all-day menu includes your basic "lunch" meals, such as the Angus Beef Burger and pizza, plus new "appetizers." I had the opportunity to try a couple of the appetizer selections, and they were very good. This should encourage more people to order food that are currently intimidated by the relatively high prices of the dining car.

The new style of service also means that you can just order a dessert, and don't have to order the full meal. Now, all we need to do is get them to reintroduce the chocolate mousse pyramid, and I'll be all set.

They are still working out the details regarding serving sleeping car passengers under the new service. Since there aren't strict meal periods, I'm not sure exactly how they'll handle sleeper passengers that decide to eat at 3:30 pm, and then again at 6:30 for dinner. Right now, appetizers are not included in the "free" meal for sleepers, but they are still reviewing many different options for how to handle that. Everything is subject to change as they get feedback from employees and passengers, as well as seeing how things are doing financially with the different menu options.

One "con" I can think of with the diner-lounge is that some folks may want a more "elegant" dining experience, while the diner-lounge is run more like a sports bar/grill. The food quality is as good as anything Amtrak has to offer, but, for example, last night for dinner, a friend and I were enjoying our steak (for me) and chicken (for him), while across the aisle, three or four younger folks were regaling us with their intimiate familiarity of the penal code in Virginia, on account of first-hand experience they or their friends had.

Having people that want to lounge around and play music may not set well with an elderly couple that wants to have a nice, quiet dinner. However, Amtrak does (even on other trains) offer a take-out option for the dining car menu, though it is perhaps "pushed" a bit more with the diner-lounge.

Overall, I'm very optimistic that the diner-lounge will be a successful experiment that should increase revenue while lowering costs. One good thing about the diner-lounge is the flexibility involved. During low-traffic periods, they could easily run with just one car and still serve the cafe and dining car customers. During busier periods, this car could be supplemented with a regular diner, a regular lounge, or another diner-lounge.

The managers said there was interest in returning the Cardinal to Superliner equipment and running it with a diner-lounge. In addition, there's also the potential (though nothing concrete) of putting a car like that on the Empire Builder, enabling the Portland section to have improved food-service, and also allowing the Seattle section to get a sightseer car. Any of those changes would be far in the future, though, as first they have to complete the current three-month experiment.

NARP has released the schedule for the diner lounge, which I'll include below.

Hereare the correct dates for January operation:

SINGLE CAR OPERATION: Depart Washington--Thurs Jan 4; Sun Jan 7;

Thurs Jan 11; Sun Jan 14; Thurs Jan 18; Sunday Jan 21; Thurs Jan 25;

Sun Jan 28 Depart Chicago--Fri Jan 5; Mon Jan 8; Fri Jan 12; Mon Jan

15; Fri Jan 19; Mon Jan 22; Fri Jan 26; Mon Jan 29

Also, on remaining December trips when the car runs next to a regular

diner (new information: this includes the first round-trip listed

below), Amtrak plans to serve meals for coach passengers in the diner

lounge, and for dining car passengers in the regular diner, but will

honor requests from sleeping-car passengers who want to experience

their meal in the diner lounge.

OPERATION NEXT TO REGULAR DINER: Depart Washington-Sat Dec 16; Tues

Dec 19; Fri Dec 22; Mon Dec 25; Thurs Dec 28; Sun Dec 31 Depart

Chicago-Sun Dec 17; Wed Dec 20; Sat Dec 23; Tues Dec 26; Fri Dec 29;

Mon Jan 1
However, in the case of my train, they were willing to serve coach passengers in the regular diner.

And, for those interested, here is the menu:

Breakfast

Today's Omelet -- $9.00

Quiche of the Day -- $9.00

Railroad French Toast -- $7.00

Bob Evans Breakfast Scramble - $8.00

Continental (mixed fruit has replaced with a banana) -- $6.75

Pork or Turkey Sausage -- $3.00

Dinner

New York Strip Steak -- $21.00

Roast Chicken -- $14.50

Tilapia Fillet -- $16.50

Meatloaf -- $12.50

Garden Lasagna -- $11.00

ALL-DAY MENU OPTIONS (11 am to 11 pm or midnight, depending on which card you believe)

Appetizers

Chicken & Cheese Quesadillas -- $5.00

Baked Potato Skins -- $5.00

Mozzarella Sticks -- $5.00

Spring Rolls -- $5.00

Buffalo Wings -- $7.00

Burgers and More

Angus Beef Burger -- $8.25

Add bacon -- $2.00

Grilled Chicken Sandwich -- $8.00

Gardenburger -- $7.75

Stone Fired Supreme Pizza -- $9.00

Beef Burrito -- $9.00

Caesar Salad -- $6.00

Today's Quiche -- $9.00 *(I'm not sure if this is the same as the breakfast "quiche of the day," but it comes with different side dishes)

Desserts

Sweet Temptations Chocolate Cake -- $5.00

New York Style Cheesecake -- $3.75

Ice Cream -- $3.75

Great report Robert, detailed as always. The "All Day" menu looks like a great idea. It seems like it will bring in coach passengers during the dinner hours, when they wouldn't normally hit the Diner. I also like the addition of the appetizers, but of course the portion size will dictate how well those sell. It seems like overall Amtrak has really thought out this idea, and is doing good testing, and being willing to make changes using feedback from passengers. The only feedback I can seem to come up with based on what you've told us Robert is maybe they should stick with traditional booths on one side of the car and install Auto Train style booths on the other.

Very VERY interesting report, Robert! You certainly have me enthused about it, to the point where I was ready to find a way to book a weekend trip similar to yours, but since there's no departures on Saturday from either end in January to combine the train trip with a air (gasp) trip to make a weekend hop, I'll likely skip for now.

Glad to see you had a positive reaction to it all, and good to see Amtrak carefully observing the process and looking for ways to tweak it to improvement, instead of simply tossing it out there to sink or swim.

I guess my only question would be as to how the other passengers, coach and sleeper, seemed to react to this novel new operation.

The comments were generally positive. I know the coach passengers seemed to enjoy it (though a few were slightly disappointed at the lack of a sightseer car; though on the westbound at this time of year, there's not much to really sightsee).

However, I'm not sure how many sleeper passengers used that car, as they still had a regular diner available. I'll have photos shortly.

How could the cardinal use superliners without changing origin? Penn can't hold anything bigger than a LIRR double decker.

Here's the link to my photos. I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, as the car was a bit busy, and many folks don't like having their photo taken. However, you get the general idea.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/556468459iuhYGZ

Also, I spoke with the service managers regarding single-level diner-lounges, and they had no information at all on any implementation plan for those trains.

Also, I spoke with the service managers regarding single-level diner-lounges, and they had no information at all on any implementation plan for those trains.
Which is crazy since one single level car has been done for months and another is nearing completion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Base on the photos, it looks like the traditional dining car tables are completely gone. Is that correct?

Assuming they keep one part of the car with the traditional tables, this actually looks like a great idea. The menu would be far superior to what I had on the Cardinal last summer. Without the traditional tables this would be a serious deterioration in service.

They are looking into whether to include some traditional tables, or have all of the seating as it currently is. The prototype diner-lounge has no "traditional" tables.

Thanks for the detailed report there. Great job.

37000 seems a little more inviting than when I saw it being built in November back in Beech Grove.

(pictures from that are at www.rtabern.com and click on travels link)

I am going to have to try and get on a run of the Capitol sometime I think here and check it out in person.

My opinion... would be to have the diner/lounge, but then also keep a sight-seer lounge on it too (even if they have to un-staff it). I could bear eating my steak dinner with kids around, if I could go in the lounge car afterwards and have the nice windows and the single seat to relax in there.

What can ya do, huh? :(

Thanks for the detailed report there. Great job.

I am going to have to try and get on a run of the Capitol sometime I think here and check it out in person.
Please forgive what may be a silly question: How does one know that 37000 (or any particular car) will be on any particular train?

Or to put it another way, If I were to hop the Acela down to WAS with the intent of riding the Capitol Limited to CHI, how could I be sure car #37000 would be on the train?

Rick

My opinion... would be to have the diner/lounge, but then also keep a sight-seer lounge on it too (even if they have to un-staff it). I could bear eating my steak dinner with kids around, if I could go in the lounge car afterwards and have the nice windows and the single seat to relax in there.
given the report above (and another over at flyertalk), i've really become enthusiastic about this concept. not so much because i prefer it over the traditional arrangement, but rather because it should help control costs and drive food revenues up by bringing in more coach passengers as well as continuous dining options throughout the day.

i am less enthused about the removal of the sightseer lounge cars, and hope that amtrak will put them back on consists unstaffed. perhaps they can reconfigure the lower level as a crew lounge so that the employees don't just end up taking over half of the dining car and hanging out there as i've seen on the texas eagle. and hey, maybe they could charge a nominal fee for its use to cover the extra fuel costs.

but mostly i'm pleased that amtrak is making a genuine effort to provide as much dining quality and choice as their funding levels and management constraints allow. they seem to be working hard to incorporate customer and employee feedback here, and that alone is something refreshing to see.

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

i am less enthused about the removal of the sightseer lounge cars, and hope that amtrak will put them back on consists unstaffed. perhaps they can reconfigure the lower level as a crew lounge so that the employees don't just end up taking over half of the dining car and hanging out there as i've seen on the texas eagle. and hey, maybe they could charge a nominal fee for its use to cover the extra fuel costs.
Once things are finalized based upon the test runs of 37000, the remaining 11 diners in Beech Grove currently underway will be finished. After that, plans call for 40 of the Sightseer lounge cars to gradually be sent out to a private contractor for conversion to diner lite. So running an unstaffed Sightseer Lounge won't be possible, as they too will be converted to diner lite operations.

I understand that they will retain their big windows, but I can't imagine that finding a seat in one of these cars and holding on to it for any length of time will be possible. Most likely people will be asked to leave the car so that others can sit and eat in the car. :(

Please forgive what may be a silly question: How does one know that 37000 (or any particular car) will be on any particular train?
Or to put it another way, If I were to hop the Acela down to WAS with the intent of riding the Capitol Limited to CHI, how could I be sure car #37000 would be on the train?
Rick,

NARP has posted the tentitive schedule of when the car will run on the Capitol Limited. Tentitive because things could change due to bad ordered equipment or a very late running train. That schedule can be found in various places on the net, like OTOL.

I understand that they will retain their big windows, but I can't imagine that finding a seat in one of these cars and holding on to it for any length of time will be possible. Most likely people will be asked to leave the car so that others can sit and eat in the car. :(
That is a little worrying, I'd hate to be kicked out, and I wouldn't like to have to get somebody thrown out so I could eat.

Last edited:
I personally think there will be a change in attitude when it comes to the use of the lounge cars by passengers. For example, on the exsisting Amfleet II lounges folks generally get their food, eat, and peace out. Now granted there are ocassionally a few folks who sit around, play cards, etc. but not to the degree they do on Superliner trains. Hopefully that attitude and way of things working will translate to the Superliner fleet as well.

I personally think there will be a change in attitude when it comes to the use of the lounge cars by passengers. For example, on the exsisting Amfleet II lounges folks generally get their food, eat, and peace out. Now granted there are ocassionally a few folks who sit around, play cards, etc. but not to the degree they do on Superliner trains. Hopefully that attitude and way of things working will translate to the Superliner fleet as well.
Well that may well be what has to happen under the new diner lite program.

I for one however don't consider that to be a desirable thing for Amtrak. Part of the charm of taking the train is the ability to "hang out" in the lounge car, especially those wonderful Sightseer lounges. I worry that the loss of that option may well hurt Amtrak in the long run in terms of reduced ridership.

Yes Amtrak may save money with Diner Lite, but if revenues also drop due to the changes, then nothing has been gained. Amtrak will still suffer from the same loss levels that it currently has. One must maximize revenue, while trying to cut costs where possible. The Empire Builder experiement proved that this is the way to go. Blindly trying to cut costs, while giving no consideration to how those cost cutting measures might affect revenue is not a good thing.

And one other consideration with the idea that people won't just be allowed to "lounge" around in the lounge car. What happens now on trains where for whatever reason, the train was oversold?

In the past, the lounge while perhaps not ideal, at least provided the relief valve as it were. The crew could put some extra passengers into the lounge, until seats opened up further down the line. Now if all those seats are needed for serving meals, where do those extra passengers go?

Now if all those seats are needed for serving meals, where do those extra passengers go?
Many the time I rode the C&NW Flambeau 500 from Chicago to Green Bay as a kid in the 50's It was always oversold on Sunday night and we had to stand until Milwaukee many times. We stood in the aisle and held on to a seat back. Don't know if that is allowed these days or not.

I think that at the very LEAST the Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight should retain the Sightseer Car. I think removing the Sightseer car from those routes is going to cause a spike in customer complaints and even lost ridership. Maybe as a compromise they could run the Sightseer Car on those routes during peak travel times, Summer/Fall, the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas. I think removing these cars from the Long Distance West Coast to Chicago routes is going to lose Amtrak more than a few customers.

Well then what the heck is the point of the whole program. If implemented as you suggest they will only be cutting the total number of cars used on four out of eight routes that run with Superliner equipment. The point of the program is to cut the number of cars used (and the mechanical expenses associated with them) and reduce staffing. Only one of the two major objectives is accomplished if you leave a car in the consist that's earning absolutely no revenue (food service or passenger seating wise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back