29 5 hours late into Chicago-predictions for 30 tonight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following the thread about 30 which rear ended the freight. That equipment was turned in Pittsburg and is enroute to Chicago as 29 and running 5 hours late.

I'm going out in 30 tonight with a connections to 97 on to Miami. So I'm curious as too what will happen tonight.

My guess is maybe an hour late departure from Chi...other than that not much...

ETA- now that I said that I see 49 is 6 hours late also. So, there may be delays for crew rest. the delay is too long, they may give you money to go buy dinner rather than diner service for dinner (assuming you have sleeper).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they hold the Pennsylvanian out of Pittsburgh if 30 is late enough not to make the connection? I would assume so, since there is probably a lot of through traffic, but I just want to make sure.

Steve, I assume that you will be passing through Orlando on Thursday lunch time. I will wave!!

Do they hold the Pennsylvanian out of Pittsburgh if 30 is late enough not to make the connection? I would assume so, since there is probably a lot of through traffic, but I just want to make sure.
Checking the departure times for #42 and arrival times for #30 at PGH for the past several weeks, it appears that they don't hold the eastbound Pennsylvanian for the #30 CL or not for long if the CL is running seriously late. The CL is scheduled to get to PGH 2 hours and 25 minutes before #42 departs, so there is a sizable buffer for a connection. The Pennsylvanian has among the best OTP of the corridor trains (93% in June); I can see why they would want to keep it that way.

Looks like the eastbound #30 CL, even with the constant delays on the NS tracks between Chicago and Cleveland for track work, has managed to get to PGH in time for a connection to the Pennsylvanian most of the time in the past 4 weeks. Too bad they did not get started on the Englewood Flyover and Indiana Gateway track projects sooner so there would be at least some improvements in place this summer between Chicago and Porter IN.

7:00 pm seating was called at 7:40. Steak and service were excellent considering situation.
Steve, I am glad to hear that you received a good meal. I hope the rest of your trip goes well.If you get lucky, one of your SCAs on the Silvers will be Leo. There are 2 Leos now. One is tall and young, the other is not so tall and not so young. We call him the "original" Leo and he is the "best.". The new Leo is good also.

I had Preston once going south on the Star. He was really good! One of the best I've had. Coming back north I had one of those old miserable ole' guys who can't wait for retirement. Then again this was in 2010. That guy could have retired years ago.

If you are connecting to the 97 in WAS and it is too late for Dinner, the Club Acela will call you up and hand you $25 (per sperson) meal money to eat in the station. Not a bad deal at all! It just happened to me about 10 days ago.

Checking the departure times for #42 and arrival times for #30 at PGH for the past several weeks, it appears that they don't hold the eastbound Pennsylvanian for the #30 CL or not for long if the CL is running seriously late. The CL is scheduled to get to PGH 2 hours and 25 minutes before #42 departs, so there is a sizable buffer for a connection. The Pennsylvanian has among the best OTP of the corridor trains (93% in June); I can see why they would want to keep it that way.
Thanks for that info. So in an extraordinary situation where #30 CL would not get there on time, would they offer some alternative or put up passengers travelling there in a hotel or something?

I'll keep an eye out for the Leo's. My sca in 30 is pretty good.

We are now 3 hours late. I can now personally verify that room 8 also rides rough. It was fine chi-Toledo. Tracks are rough tol-cle. Freight traffic between Sandusky and Cleveland turned a 2 hour delay into 3.

If you are connecting to the 97 in WAS and it is too late for Dinner, the Club Acela will call you up and hand you $25 (per sperson) meal money to eat in the station. Not a bad deal at all! It just happened to me about 10 days ago.
I travel 97 regularly and that has happened to me 3 times. I believe each time, we were allowed to purchase food in the station and bring it back and eat it in the lounge. The sleeper passengers that had not checked into the Club Acela missed out.

I'll keep an eye out for the Leo's. My sca in 30 is pretty good.

We are now 3 hours late. I can now personally verify that room 8 also rides rough. It was fine chi-Toledo. Tracks are rough tol-cle. Freight traffic between Sandusky and Cleveland turned a 2 hour delay into 3.
When we were on 30 after the fest, we were not given the option for lunch. Maybe since you are 3 hours late, it will be offered to you. We were only an hour or so late.

We are going to be well over 3 hours late. I had just gotten up and was putting on my shoes when the train went into an emergency stop. I immediately grabbed my scanner and turned it on. I heard the engineer reporting that the train had hit a trespasser. A moment later I saw the conductor rushing through to the head end and check things out.

We have been sitting here 1 hr 20 minutes. The conductor has reported this as a police emergency. As we were eating breakfast we saw emergency workers passing by with a stretcher. We also saw police officers walking by too.

The conductor has made several announcements advising that amtrak is aware of people making connections. I'm assuming passengers for silver service trains will be bussed from Pittsburg.

I'll keep you posted.

The conductor just announced that we are being bussed out if Pittsburg. Crew has been very professional. At this point with the train not yet released to proceed, I am impressed that the crew is even thinking about connections let alone providing detailed announcements.

The conductor just announced that we are being bussed out if Pittsburg. Crew has been very professional. At this point with the train not yet released to proceed, I am impressed that the crew is even thinking about connections let alone providing detailed announcements.
Sorry to hear about trespasser and about your being bussed. :(

I am pleased to hear that crew is professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back