29 5 hours late into Chicago-predictions for 30 tonight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just left rocky mount 3;42 late. I'm in 9712 rm 9. Last car on train with baggage car right behind. This tail is moving. Up, down, side to side, and bottoming out on grade crossings and switches. And I'm enjoying every mile of it too.

Sorry to hear that, Thirdrail. I'd guess that with the amount of business currently going on, it would be immediately worth it for Amtrak to staff up a bit more on Mechanical overnight at Sunnyside; since there's already an overnight shift for taking care of the day trains, staffing could be expanded incrementally one employee at a time. (It's not so obvious about the back shops; with a more reasonable number of spares they shouldn't need to run 24 hours yet, and there are some benefits to aving no night shift and turning the lights off.)

I'm sorry to divert from teh topic but I feel this needs to be addressed. Jis, while you are entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. The reality of the situation is SSYD movements (or in your opinion, lack thereof) has nothing to do with laziness. It is a byproduct of the cuts in mechanical department personnel. If 98 manages to arrive on time, the train is inspected. If everything is fine, that is good. If something has to come out for repairs, pm , etc, there is no one to work on the equipment until the next morning. Same thing goes for 92, 20 and 48. This is because they eliminated the entire overnight shift devoted to the long hauls (51 is made up during the day) while the remaining overnight crews deal with the regional and day trippers. Now, daylight has to scramble to make repairs and 97 is last out, so it is the first train to lose equipment if (for example) 91 is short a dining car and the last train to get worked. If repairs aren't forthcoming (or their is a shortage of equipment), the next move is to wait for PD98 or PD20 to arrive.
Sorry for having made a blatantly provocative and admittedly uninformed statement earlier. Thank you for giving a very informative explanation and what is actually going on and I am sure that I and many others stand better informed as a result. Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Csx couldn't resist participating in my drama. Just sat for 90 plus minutes for freight congestion. 2 freights passed. And now we just stopped again as I'm typing.

We will get modified dinner with a choice if chicken or pasta.

Take the Chicken Steve!!(tastes like Chicken!)

When you get home and call CR if you don't want the e-voucher they offer just have them put it on my account!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Csx couldn't resist participating in my drama. Just sat for 90 plus minutes for freight congestion. 2 freights passed. And now we just stopped again as I'm typing.

I hope you do not run into problems with SunRail traffic once you get south of DeLand. Amtrak has you now arriving arriving in ORL at 5:20pm. If that time gets any later, I likely will not be able to swing by the station and say hi. If I am unable to drive to the station, I may walk to a crossing close to my apartment and wave (weather permitting). If I do that, I will let you know.

I'm basically going on this trip just to ride trains. The delays are not inconvenient for me. So I won't be asking fir refunds. I understand not everyone is riding for fun, and delays are a problem for them.

A couple weeks ago the 97 Diner LSA was trying to figure out what to feed us for "modified" Supper and I said just put everything out buffet-style and we'll finish it off :) We ended up with a choice of the Half Roasted Chicken or Beef Round over Couscous with Glazed Baby Carrots on the side. Since I had Chicken a couple nights before I went with the Meat and it was actually quite good (and a lot of folks learned what Couscous are all about).

Meanwhile management nixed the Beef Stew for Coach; I added if we had to eat Stew stop close to a grocery and I'll run get some Onions, Peppers and Ale and put some legs under that stuff :)

I'm basically going on this trip just to ride trains. The delays are not inconvenient for me. So I won't be asking fir refunds. I understand not everyone is riding for fun, and delays are a problem for them.
Agreed even though on my trip I was headed to visit family and got into WPB about 3.5 hours late. But considering getting bumped up to H Room from Roomette because of an AGR booking error, getting handed $25 Meal Money the night before and getting an extra Dinner in the Diner I was more than compensated!

Stuck behind a sunrail train for the entire length of sunrail. Note to amtrak. Get trains out of nyp on time. Lol.
Once you get to ORL, it will not be so bad because 97's dwell in ORL is longer than SunRail's. There is only one SunRail station south of the ORL Amtrak station. Sorry I did not get to go down to the station to say hi, but you were way too late. However, I did hear your horn from 2 different crossings. :)

Maybe we can start making up time. Amtrak's saying 11:24. Anytime before midnight is good enough for me. I can be in bed before 1 am I can get a good nights sleep.
Thanks for the wave and the photo of my condo from the window of the train. Enjoy the rest of your trip. BTW, how do you like the humidity? At least it cooled off with the thunderstorms. The heat index earlier this afternoon was 105.

Bailed. Thanks to uber I'm now in a Lexus 430 going to the hotel. The train is still sitting there while they inspect the engine.

I stood by the door to get off, and asked sca if he would open up. He said yes. I used the app and a car was 4 minutes away. I walked fine the platform and 2 minutes later it was there. I called the driver to tell him I was on the west side of the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back