29 5 hours late into Chicago-predictions for 30 tonight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on the move 2 hours 50 minutes after the stop. IMHO the crew and amtrak has handled this perfectly. Only pax with connections in WAS will be bussed. This involves 91, 97, 19 and 3 or four regionals. The rest will stay on. The conductor stated that tickets will be checked to prevent passengers without connections from boarding the busses.

Assuming bus operation I smooth and I have no one next to me I'm good.

We are going to be well over 3 hours late. I had just gotten up and was putting on my shoes when the train went into an emergency stop. I immediately grabbed my scanner and turned it on. I heard the engineer reporting that the train had hit a trespasser. A moment later I saw the conductor rushing through to the head end and check things out.

We have been sitting here 1 hr 20 minutes. The conductor has reported this as a police emergency. As we were eating breakfast we saw emergency workers passing by with a stretcher. We also saw police officers walking by too.

The conductor has made several announcements advising that amtrak is aware of people making connections. I'm assuming passengers for silver service trains will be bussed from Pittsburg.

I'll keep you posted.
Must be the day for trespassers. I'm on the CS and we hit a trespasser last night north of San Jose. We were stopped for five hours and are now about 7 hours behind. Crew did a great job under the circumstances.

Bus on the move. Passengers for silver star are gonna be nervous.
Anyone booking a connection to the #91 Star from #30 is doing so at their own risk, correct? Which is quite risky in the current situation given that the CL has been an average of 129 minutes late to WAS over the past 4 weeks (according to http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/). So the average delay is longer than the scheduled connection buffer time at WAS. Since #30(8/05) was already 3 hours late at Cleveland, getting bustituted at PGH may have been the only way they could make the connection to #91 anyway.

Most people who book take what amtrak gives them. I called agr to book this trip and was originally booked on the star. I then changed to the meteor. The agr agent selected the star without any input from me.

Most passengers are not as informed as us and would not have known to call back and switch to the meteor.

Most people who book take what amtrak gives them. I called agr to book this trip and was originally booked on the star. I then changed to the meteor. The agr agent selected the star without any input from me.

Most passengers are not as informed as us and would not have known to call back and switch to the meteor.
Coming home from the RRF, Dick and I had originally booked the Star connection from 30. After seeing the OTP of 30, we changed to the Meteor. It turns out that we arrived in time to connect with the Meteor and tried to switch once we arrived in WAS, but 91 was sold out.

Have you arrived in WAS yet?

I just made the 30 to 97 connection last week and almost encountered a disaster simply because I failed to study the new ticket the AGR Agent e-mailed me a few daus earlier when I called to switch from the 91. The 30 missed the connection with the 91 that day, but I was comfortable as Chessie the Railroad Kitten since I had made the change.

Then the Club Acela Agent announces the 97 is running late enough we will miss Dinner and we were each getting $25 meal money; my name was not on the list. It turns out the AGR Agent wasn't minding her calander when she rebooked me and had me on the next day's Meteor; by now the Meteor for that night was Sold Out! And normally I study tickets to make sure they are in order.

But she quickly went across the Concourse to the Main Ticketing Office and came back a few minutes later happy. I had to ride Coach to Richmond and then was upgraded to a Drawing, err, H Room the rest of the way to WPB :) But then the Coach was now oversold; so I volunteered to give up my seat and sit in the Lounge which was no problem at all; the Crew was most appreciative and I even got to see a cantakerous woman argue with the Conductor she should have a 2 seats to herself and then tell the Condcutor to do something starting with the letter F! You do not say that to a Conductor and she was forcibly removed and taken into custody by 3 of Richmond's finest, even after locking herself into an AmCan pot. That alone was worth the price of admission :)

My philosophy is be flexible and polite when traveling and things will usually work themselves out if not get better.

The drama continued. The bus driver got lost trying to avoid traffic. I helped navigate us down Massachusetts.

I found a health club by gallery place that allowed me to shower and shave for 25 bucks. Then plan booked a 5:45 dinner reservation at legal seafoods across the street. I figured eating fast would get me back.

Then I received a text from amtrak that 97 is now going to leave at 8:49. Left New York two hours 13 minutes late. The adventure continues!!

The drama continued. The bus driver got lost trying to avoid traffic. I helped navigate us down Massachusetts.

I found a health club by gallery place that allowed me to shower and shave for 25 bucks. Then plan booked a 5:45 dinner reservation at legal seafoods across the street. I figured eating fast would get me back.

Then I received a text from amtrak that 97 is now going to leave at 8:49. Left New York two hours 13 minutes late. The adventure continues!!
From what I learned earlier this week, the arriving 98 turns into that day's 97 and Sunnyside has been having Kittens trying to get the sets in and turned; of course with 98 running late that means a delay for the departure of 97; they need to learn from the FTW Eagle crews :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope you enjoy your dinner and get compensation for your missed dinner on the Meteor. Maybe you will get dinner before Miami tomorrow. I will check your progress and if I am near the station when it arrives in ORL, I will swing by the station and say hi.

From what I learned earlier this week, the arriving 98 turns into that day's 97 and Sunnyside has been having Kittens trying to get the sets in and turned; of course with 98 running late that means a delay for the departure of 97; they need to learn from the FTW Eagle crews :)
Sorry, You learned wrong. :( If that were true then the Meteor would require just 3 consists. It actually uses 4. So no, 97 does not turn into 98 the same day at NYP. Sunnyside is just too lazy to get a consist ready in a timely manner even when they have more than 24 hours to dick around with it. Actually they apparently don't touch the consist until late in the morning of the day of departure, and then if something is found to need work things just get delayed.

Sunnyside could not turn a train in 4 hours with a hurricane in their sail even. That is how much time they have with an 11am arrival and 3:15pm departure. Even if the train arrives on time, it won't make it to Sunnyside until around noon, and it has to be pretty much on its way out of the yard by 2:15pm on the ready track to meet a 3:15pm departure deadline out of NYP.

Indeed on several occasions neorden and I have discussed the desirability of modifying the schedule of the Meteor so that it arrives three hours earlier and leaves a couple of hours later so as to be able to do the single day turn. But with the current timings it is just not physically possible to do the single day turn. That would release an entire consist for use in such wonderful ventures as making the Cardinal daily or adding a third sleeper to the Lake Shore, and release 4 or 5 Amfleet II Coaches, a Diner Lite and a Diner for use elsewhere or for keeping more protect equipment.

Sorry, You learned wrong. :( If that were true then the Meteor would require just 3 consists. It actually uses 4.
Thanks for the update; I was just going by what various Crew Members told me but then that confirms Crew Gossip is often just that, Gossip. And here I thought Sunnyside was hands down better than Chicago in getting sets turned.

Having checked Amtrak Status Maps for the past day, the past several days have NOT been good days for most of the LD trains and the medium range corridor trains in the east. The #43 Pennsylvanian is shown as having a service disruption at or after PHL, LSL #(48 (8/05) is 6 hours and 14 minutes late at Utica, and so on. Wonder what happened with the southbound #97 Meteor out of NYP?
Amtrak could use some of the summer track work projects on NS and CSX to wrap up soon. And trespassers to stay off of the tracks, if I may be so blunt.

I'm back at union station in CA. I did get my 25 dollars. The agent remembered my name and face when I entered, and immediately informed me about the delay and had me sign for the money. Very professional.

I'm back at union station in CA. I did get my 25 dollars. The agent remembered my name and face when I entered, and immediately informed me about the delay and had me sign for the money. Very professional.
If it is the same Agent who handled my SNAFU on the 97s she is indeed top notch and concerned for her customers. Though I fear to think how many times they have had to dish out $25 Meal Comps the past few days; that sure costs more than Dining Car Flowers or Sleeper Cranberry Juice :)

Sorry, You learned wrong. :( If that were true then the Meteor would require just 3 consists. It actually uses 4. So no, 97 does not turn into 98 the same day at NYP. Sunnyside is just too lazy to get a consist ready in a timely manner even when they have more than 24 hours to dick around with it. Actually they apparently don't touch the consist until late in the morning of the day of departure, and then if something is found to need work things just get delayed.

Sunnyside could not turn a train in 4 hours with a hurricane in their sail even. That is how much time they have with an 11am arrival and 3:15pm departure. Even if the train arrives on time, it won't make it to Sunnyside until around noon, and it has to be pretty much on its way out of the yard by 2:15pm on the ready track to meet a 3:15pm departure deadline out of NYP.

Indeed on several occasions neorden and I have discussed the desirability of modifying the schedule of the Meteor so that it arrives three hours earlier and leaves a couple of hours later so as to be able to do the single day turn. But with the current timings it is just not physically possible to do the single day turn. That would release an entire consist for use in such wonderful ventures as making the Cardinal daily or adding a third sleeper to the Lake Shore, and release 4 or 5 Amfleet II Coaches, a Diner Lite and a Diner for use elsewhere or for keeping more protect equipment.

I'm sorry to divert from teh topic but I feel this needs to be addressed. Jis, while you are entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. The reality of the situation is SSYD movements (or in your opinion, lack thereof) has nothing to do with laziness. It is a byproduct of the cuts in mechanical department personnel. If 98 manages to arrive on time, the train is inspected. If everything is fine, that is good. If something has to come out for repairs, pm , etc, there is no one to work on the equipment until the next morning. Same thing goes for 92, 20 and 48. This is because they eliminated the entire overnight shift devoted to the long hauls (51 is made up during the day) while the remaining overnight crews deal with the regional and day trippers. Now, daylight has to scramble to make repairs and 97 is last out, so it is the first train to lose equipment if (for example) 91 is short a dining car and the last train to get worked. If repairs aren't forthcoming (or their is a shortage of equipment), the next move is to wait for PD98 or PD20 to arrive.

Such was the case today. SSYD has been short views and they moved up equipment leaving 97 without views. 98 arrives at 143pm and 20 is completely behind the 8 ball, so obviously 97 is going to take a hit. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that it is Wednesday, which means 51 (which along with 50 operates with 2 views) was not available to fill in.

This problem is not limited to SSYD. One of the reasons the engines shortage is so profound is because they eliminated the overnight shift at the backshop. It is no longer a 24 hour operation. It isn't even a 7 day a week operation. That means equipment that needs repairs is sitting there idle...for countless hours...with no one to work on it.

Sometimes, you roll the dice and come up snake eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back