Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something else that I'm surprised someone more like ThirdRail hasn't mentioned. The cars also have to be able to clear the electrical equipment on the track. For instance there are several PVs that can't run into NYG because of tanks, generators, etc under the car that could contact the third rail.

While Amfleets were designed with NYG in mind because it was still an active terminal then. The Viewliners were not designed with that in mind. Heritage sleeping cars handled the last sleeping line out of there.

I don't know if the Viewliners could clear the Third rail.

Sorry, I don't follow. If Viewliners clear Metro-North's third rail from Croton-Harmon south, why wouldn't they be able to in Grand Central?

If I may chime in on this topic, the LSL might not be running into GCT because since that is not an Amtrak facility anymore, there are not proper facilities or a convenient yard to service the sleepers and diners.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

If I may chime in on this topic, the LSL might not be running into GCT because since that is not an Amtrak facility anymore, there are not proper facilities or a convenient yard to service the sleepers and diners.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
That is already known, but the possibility of the connecting Empire Service carrying a baggage car is being discussed.

Allow me to make all of this easier for you:

Do the Viewliner II baggage cars have trainline cables and connections for push-pull?
I believe they do not.

It has less to do with that. Trains that are scheduled to operate with back to back engines are typically in place because there isn't a place to turn them. The rest of the run elephant style so if something happens to the lead unit, you're not stuck with an improperly pointed engine that would do you any good. Additionally, you can set the engine off to rescue another train if necessary.

This happens quite a bit, particularly in the south. 20 may set off an engine for 80 or 176 while 98 may set off an engine for 174, 84, 86 etc.

If and when the LSL is on time. There will be two train set in the Albany-Rensselaer Station. Even worse if the LSL is running late there will be two set of passengers inside the station.

Going to be interesting.

If and when the LSL is on time. There will be two train set in the Albany-Rensselaer Station. Even worse if the LSL is running late there will be two set of passengers inside the station.

Going to be interesting.
Maybe you have a different definition of “on time” than the rest of us, but the eastbound should leave at 3:05 pm and the westbound doesn’t get in until 6 pm.

No different than it has been for quite some time.

Going to be interesting.
Maybe you have a different definition of on time than the rest of us, but the eastbound should leave at 3:05 pm and the westbound doesnt get in until 6 pm.
However, there may be two train sets in the station and yard complex between those hours as any cars that are removed/added there will not same-day turn.

Going to be interesting.
Maybe you have a different definition of on time than the rest of us, but the eastbound should leave at 3:05 pm and the westbound doesnt get in until 6 pm.
Except there is a cross platform transfer required for the passenger. Also two trainset need a place to park and be serviced. The east bound is now stopping and turn at Rensselaer and the west bound is leaving from Rensselaer. Yes the Boston section will keep traveling, but the NY section is turned around. Very unlikely they try a 3 hour turn. So there will be two NY section present in station or yard.

Got to maintain the Viewliner and stock the dinning service at a station that does not normally work on Viewliners or has a food service. Crew base for the NY section is NYC.

No big deal, but it a few details that need to be address.

There is enough space to park two 8 car consists in ALB. I don't see that as a huge issue. Besides, if there isn't I am sure Amtrak will figure out how to send any cars that cannot be stored in ALB, all the way Boston as deadhead.

Where has it been written the train is getting split?
As far as I am aware, it is not official yet. However, it is unlikely Boston can handle the full length train and it would likely run mostly empty anyway.
Yes, space at Southampton Street was the only issue I could think of. Otherwise splitting the consist seems like unnecessary work, since you can't make a same day equipment turn. Even though the train runs empty it would be simpler to just block off cars and have the associated crew leave at Albany. Boston presumably has facilities to do clean sleeping car bedding and a link to Sunnyside to send spare parts up if needed, which I have heard has been done before, neither of which is true in Albany.

When I talked with an AGR rep she said that Amtrak had not decided but it could be a bus bridge from NYC to Albany but I should get a different corrected ticket with the details which I have not received. I would not have a problem with either bus or train to Albany if it is only about 2.5 hours. I originally had booked the Cardinal but changed when I found out I would have to catch the connecting train to DC at 5:30 AM. I have ridden the Capitol Limited several times but I am visiting friends in NYC so don't mind the connecting trip to the LSL if my large bag I was going to check can travel with me somehow. I have a roomette on the LSL.

When I talked with an AGR rep she said that Amtrak had not decided but it could be a bus bridge from NYC to Albany ...
What is the "it"? The statement makes it sound like once Amtrak decides, you won't have the opportunity to select one of the trains between ALB and NYP (oops NYG). Currently there are at least 12 trains per day, but who knows once it is decided.

More basic question: why add a bus?

My guess is that the AGR rep was speculating, maybe not 100% realizing that there's a number of Empire Service trains that run along that corridor. I doubt there's any new information there; the agent was probably just internally thinking about substitutions in general and knows that buses are an option Amtrak uses from time to time.

I'd be truly shocked if Amtrak did a bus bridge; I can't imagine they'd stop running Empire Service trains entirely, and it seems easy enough to add a few extra coach cars to an Empire Service train as needed.

When I talked with an AGR rep she said that Amtrak had not decided but it could be a bus bridge from NYC to Albany ...
What is the "it"? The statement makes it sound like once Amtrak decides, you won't have the opportunity to select one of the trains between ALB and NYP (oops NYG). Currently there are at least 12 trains per day, but who knows once it is decided.

More basic question: why add a bus?
That's currently. There may not be 12 trains a day to GCT when this is all said and done. They may combine a few, much like how they combined 69 and 63 in the past or they may cancel a few.. Weekends is a whole other ball of wax.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made a reservation today to go from Orlando to Albany in June on 98 and 295. The e-ticket shows 295 departing from NYP. I trust that my reservation will be changed by Amtrak in the near (or not so near) future.

Hi guys!

Brand new member and have only been lurking for a few days. I'm Australian and I have booked trips around your country for June. Not important to the topic but I'm doing LA-NO-WAS-NY-CHI-EMY-LA. One of the dream trips was the LSL along the Hudson River. When I saw that the LSL was not going between NY and Albany, I started to worry. However, the Amtrak website says that those passengers on the LSL will be put on the Empire Service. I guess that means I will still see that part of the trip that I wanted to? Obviously, I'm looking forward to the California Zephyr but the whole trip is something that I have been planning and looking forward to since about October last year. My trip starts in June for three weeks, finishing with a few days in Las Vegas so can't wait to ride the rails!

Welcome! Sounds like a great trip. Be advised that you cannot get to Las Vegas by train [in case you didn't know that already].

Hi guys!

Brand new member and have only been lurking for a few days. I'm Australian and I have booked trips around your country for June. Not important to the topic but I'm doing LA-NO-WAS-NY-CHI-EMY-LA. One of the dream trips was the LSL along the Hudson River. When I saw that the LSL was not going between NY and Albany, I started to worry. However, the Amtrak website says that those passengers on the LSL will be put on the Empire Service. I guess that means I will still see that part of the trip that I wanted to? Obviously, I'm looking forward to the California Zephyr but the whole trip is something that I have been planning and looking forward to since about October last year. My trip starts in June for three weeks, finishing with a few days in Las Vegas so can't wait to ride the rails!
That's my dream trip! Hope you enjoy it! The route is identical NYP-ALB on the Empire Service and LSL, so you'll be fine.

Well, not exactly. If the trip takes place during the work window, the train will originate in Grand Central. That is probably a plus since it is such a beautiful building. You do miss a small piece of Hudson River at the upper end of Manhattan, the train will join the "line up the river" just North of "Spuyten Duyvil" You want the left side for best views heading from NYC to Albany. If you arrive in NYC from WAS, you arrive at NYP. I'm assuming you are staying for a couple of days otherwise getting crosstown with luggage comes into play.....

So Arrow is currently showing September 3 as the LSL's first day back, GCT has yet to be listed for any trains, and the Cardinal seems to be returning November 13.

Back