Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a post on Trainorders about this special train:

The special move is to run as the SFLES 01 on the UP. Routing shows to be Florin - Roseville - Sparks - Elko - Salt Lake City - Grand Junction - Denver - Salina - Kansas City - E St Louis.

Recently, when I left Santa Fe to catch the east bound Chief 30 minutes away at Lamy, train status said that it had arrived in Albuquerque, the preceding station, 47 minutes early, and that it was expected in Lamy on time.

Turns out it departed 34 minutes late from ABQ, for a total dwell time of 1:02. The cause apparently was picking up two Chargers. Now I understand why it would take over an hour
default_ph34r.png
to attach the engines; but why ABQ and not La Junta. I assume they were coming from testing at Pueblo, which is much closer to La Junta. What does ABQ have that La Junta doesn't?

Turns out it departed 34 minutes late from ABQ, for a total dwell time of 1:02. The cause apparently was picking up two Chargers. Now I understand why it would take over an hour
default_ph34r.png
to attach the engines; but why ABQ and not La Junta. I assume they were coming from testing at Pueblo, which is much closer to La Junta. What does ABQ have that La Junta doesn't?
Mechanical forces, fuel, storage, a crew base, 18 more minutes in dwell time than LAJ......

Recently, when I left Santa Fe to catch the east bound Chief 30 minutes away at Lamy, train status said that it had arrived in Albuquerque, the preceding station, 47 minutes early, and that it was expected in Lamy on time.

default_ph34r.png
to attach the engines
; but why ABQ and not La Junta. I assume they were coming from testing at Pueblo, which is much closer to La Junta. What does ABQ have that La Junta doesn't?
I don't, somebody please clue me in why it takes an hour to attach two locomotives

default_ph34r.png
to attach the engines
; but why ABQ and not La Junta. I assume they were coming from testing at Pueblo, which is much closer to La Junta. What does ABQ have that La Junta doesn't?
I don't, somebody please clue me in why it takes an hour to attach two locomotives
They allow 28 mins - per the schedule - for servicing the train.It takes time to couple cars/engines. Get the engines onto the same track as the train - that can take time based on where the engines were stored in relation to the track where the SWC is stopped. Then there’s the careful coupling, connecting the cables, testing the brakes/air hoses, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There is another thing that was left out. These engines that are being picked up aren't just "being attached." They are dead in tow engines that aren't being used. As such, they must be buried in the engine consist which typically involves separating the inbound power from the train, using them to retrieve the dead units, making them up (mu'ing them), then coupling back to the train.

Once that is completed, THEN you can perform your calendar inspection on the ENTIRE train.

Hey! I said i understood the engine change time; but what about ABQ vs. LAJ?
To repeat:

default_ph34r.png
Mechanical forces, fuel, storage, a crew base, 18 more minutes in dwell time than LAJ......

New video showing the UP SFLES 01 on its way to Kansas City with three MARC Chargers and a SEPTA ACS-64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJK6lCfmJIQ

Also, can anyone tell me how to embed videos on here? I tried searching the help page here and on google using site:discuss.amtraktrains.com, but found nothing helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of the WSDOT units, 1400 and 1404, are out of service after incidents this week. 1404 hit a car, and 1400 was damaged by a trespasser in the Amtrak Seattle coach yard.

Two of the WSDOT units, 1400 and 1404, are out of service after incidents this week. 1404 hit a car, and 1400 was damaged by a trespasser in the Amtrak Seattle coach yard.
I heard the trespasser tried to (or did) set a fire to 1400. Anyone have more info?

And does anyone know the extent of damage to the two units?

MARC 80-81-82 were delivered to the commuter rr at Riverside Yd (Baltimore) on the 9th. Plans are to test them first on the Brunswick and Camden lines.

Let us know if you see any of these Chargers on a test run.

Andy

WSDOT #1402 was wrecked this morning when it derailed while hauling Amtrak Cascades #501 on an inaugural run on the new Cascades route. Sadly, 9 passengers were killed and 77 passengers and car motorists sustained injuries. It seems like it's irreparable, but at least the design of it saved the engineer's life, thanks to Siemens!

My thoughts and prayers go to those affected by the accident, as well as the friends and families of those that were killed.

Appears that Charger went straight off the rails. Maybe a broken wheel flange on the high side ( right side ) of loco ?

WSDOT #1402 was wrecked this morning when it derailed while hauling Amtrak Cascades #501 on an inaugural run on the new Cascades route. Sadly, 9 passengers were killed and 77 passengers and car motorists sustained injuries. It seems like it's irreparable, but at least the design of it saved the engineer's life, thanks to Siemens!

My thoughts and prayers go to those affected by the accident, as well as the friends and families of those that were killed.
What indications do you see that indicate to you that it is totaled?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back