Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first run on a train pulled by an SC-44 today (Carl Sandberg #381(4) Nov 4, 2017). My first impression is that the engine loads rapidly and acceleration is swift. It was quite an enjoyable ride CHI - GBB.

OTOH, the SC-44 on 380(4) Illinois Zephyr failed this morning. When we met it, it was being led by a CP freight unit hooked on ahead of the SC-44 which was apparently only delivering HEP to the train. It is possible that it was providing traction too and the issue was failure of some mandatory other equipment couldn’t tell for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

A Charger led a train to Carbondale, Illinois for the first time on Thursday. Here's IDTX 4614 leading Amtrak #392 at Centralia by TrainManBrodie.

Had my first run on a train pulled by an SC-44 today (Carl Sandberg #381(4) Nov 4, 2017). My first impression is that the engine loads rapidly and acceleration is swift. It was quite an enjoyable ride CHI - GBB.

OTOH, the SC-44 on 380(4) Illinois Zephyr failed this morning. When we met it, it was being led by a CP freight unit hooked on ahead of the SC-44 which was apparently only delivering HEP to the train. It is possible that it was providing traction too and the issue was failure of some mandatory other equipment couldn’t tell for sure.

From another site's info (Trainorders), the problem was reportedly a malfunctioning horn. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.

For a 5-, 6-, or more car train, how fast do you supposed the SC-44's accelerated? Like, oh say, to 70 or 79 MPH?

Didn’t measure but it felt almost like an ACS-64 at least the initial acceleration. Talked to someone from Amtrak about it and he speculated that full deployment will enable them to reduce some running times in the time table, which I though is good news.

Yesterday, MobileRailSpotterRxR posted a video of IDTX 4632, 4633, and 4602 getting pulled through Sacramento after leaving the Siemens factory.

Amtrak and Illinois Dept. of Transportation had an unveiling of the Charger locomotives at in the yard at West Quincy, MO. using the Carl Sandburg train equipment.

http://www.whig.com/20171114/amtrak-touts-new-locomotives-for-local-passengers#//
I find the IDOT rep's comment that "better" acceleration and deceleration will provide a "smoother ride" interesting...unless he is referring to "jerkiness", I don't see how faster acceleration and deceleration can possibly yield a smoother ride, (especially if one happens to be standing)....its probably all just 'hype' talk....
default_unsure.png

I've got to wonder how the "ghosts of LaGrange" feel about this interloper passing thru their 'domain'?
default_huh.png

Probably no worse than when the Genesis loco's bumped the F40's....
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak and Illinois Dept. of Transportation had an unveiling of the Charger locomotives at in the yard at West Quincy, MO. using the Carl Sandburg train equipment.

http://www.whig.com/20171114/amtrak-touts-new-locomotives-for-local-passengers#//
Overall, not a bad article - for the Whig.

It touted positive train control without mentioning the engine is only half, maybe less, of the equation.

It neglected to the mention the most important feature, the freeing up of engines for LD service, hopefully reducing the dead in the water episodes.

It neglected to the mention the most important feature, the freeing up of engines for LD service, hopefully reducing the dead in the water episodes.

I'm not sure IDOT cares about freeing up engines for LD service.
default_happy.png

I believe the WS Chargers will make their revenue debut this week.

A Charger led a train to Carbondale, Illinois for the first time on Thursday. Here's IDTX 4614 leading Amtrak #392 at Centralia by TrainManBrodie.

I just saw one leading #372 into Holland, MI, an extra train for Thanksgiving. It’ll be trailing back to Chicago on #373.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

There's a charger pulling a Hiawatha with a dome car. Does anyone have any pictures?

I’m beginning to think it’s now part of the regular equipment on the Pere Marquette....I saw it again tonight on #370, the regular running of the route!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Please don’t tell me it was a broken horn again [emoji57]

Definitely not!
default_help.gif
At any rate, as Acela 150 stated: they have strobes. Therefore, they are cool...even when towed!
default_happy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back