Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Upload them to a host, I use http://hostthenpost.org/but there are others out there. Then post the URL to the picture.
A rhetorical question: why can't you upload them from your desktop?
Anything shared on the internet has to be uploaded to a server one way or another (ok not entirely true*, but for the majority of us, it is) Some forums allow you to directly attach/upload images to your posts, however this is fairly uncommon as it puts a lot of load on the forum's servers. I have no idea if AU has this option, I cannot find it.

peter

*If you wanted to not upload the pictures but share them, you'd have to essentially turn your computer into a web-facing server. Doing so isn't advised unless you know what your doing; as it opens up your computer to attacks.

Trying to hard to imagine this locomotive in the rumored forth coming Phase 3 striping..............will be interesting how Siemens make it fit.

Trying to hard to imagine this locomotive in the rumored forth coming Phase 3 striping..............will be interesting how Siemens make it fit.
Doubt it will happen. The Midwest Corridor trains are transitioning to being similar to the other state-supported services, like the California trains, with their own unique branding. We're getting new cars (hopefully), see the Nippon Shayro thread, which will be painted to match the Chargers.

peter

Hi, how does one post photos to this page?
If you click on "More Reply Options ", on the Post page, you are given the option to "Attach Files" then "Choose File" then "Attach This File" from files on your computer, without a hosting site.

Hi, how does one post photos to this page?
Upload them to a host, I use http://hostthenpost.org/but there are others out there. Then post the URL to the picture.

peter
HTP purges images after 30 days of nonuse. Nothing quite so awesome as loading a thread full of

ha.jpg

ha.jpg

ha.jpg

ha.jpg

ha.jpg

insufficient-data-failed-to-load-image-2680166.png

Unknown.jpeg

Doubt it will happen. The Midwest Corridor trains are transitioning to being similar to the other state-supported services, like the California trains, with their own unique branding. We're getting new cars (hopefully), see the Nippon Shayro thread, which will be painted to match the Chargers.

peter
I meant the 150 units Amtrak will order for long distance use.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter
Just stop there.. No one has publicly stated that Amtrak is looking for replacements for the P42's. The most that's been talked about is rebuilding them which IMO would be a mistake. It would make much more sense Financially, Timeliness, and Operationally to buy new units. Whether it's the Chargers or the Progress Rail F125, or let's say that GE comes out with a Passenger unit for Amtrak.

My point is you're starting a rumor that has no truth, and I want to shut it down before folks start spreading it like wildfire.

peter
Just stop there.. No one has publicly stated that Amtrak is looking for replacements for the P42's. The most that's been talked about is rebuilding them which IMO would be a mistake. It would make much more sense Financially, Timeliness, and Operationally to buy new units. Whether it's the Chargers or the Progress Rail F125, or let's say that GE comes out with a Passenger unit for Amtrak.

My point is you're starting a rumor that has no truth, and I want to shut it down before folks start spreading it like wildfire.
Amtrak put an option with Siemens ( not with GE, not with EMD )to buy 150 units on the end of the state's Charger order. That's not a rumor, that is a fact. Now whether Amtrak has the funding to actually move on that option and purchase is up to debate.

https://www.siemens.com/press/pi/ICRL201403009e

You are both wrong and right. The purchase or negotiation of an option is essentially Amtrak reserving a place on Siemens line at a specified price. That means they are or were considering the possibility of purchasing them- so I'm sure several Amtrak managers were (or are) literally "talking" about it. But so far as I know, they have not made any moves at all beyond that point, and using the future definite pronoun of "will" is wildly inappropriate. The political situation wherein these machines were ordered were way different than the current one, and I will be mildly surprised if Amtrak does make such a purchase, albeit pleasantly.

peter

Amtrak put an option with Siemens ( not with GE, not with EMD )to buy 150 units on the end of the state's Charger order. That's not a rumor, that is a fact. Now whether Amtrak has the funding to actually move on that option and purchase is up to debate.

You are right and I was wrong, the option is for 225 units.
The existence of the options for 150 long-distance variants of the SC-44 doesn't necessarily mean it will ever happen - even if Amtrak had the funding; They could just as easily select a locomotive design from EMD, General Electric, or even someone else. Or, per more recent rumors, rebuild the existing Genesis units (which would avoid having to deal with a tier-4 design and the Chargers' requirement for urea aftertreatment). Amtrak did issue an RFI for new locomotives some months ago.

The total of '225 options' in the Siemens announcement includes 75 "regional" units of the type currently being delivered to the Midwest states and others; The balance is for the LD version, none of which have been ordered thus far, nor may ever be. Some of the 75 state options have already been exercised, however.

This dispute hinders on Frequent Flyer's statement "I mean the 150 units Amtrak will order for long distance use." While there is an option for those locomotives, Amtrak may or may not order such units. A correct statement would be "I mean the 150 units Amtrak MAY order for long distance use." Indeed, Amtrak may end up with those 150 Chargers, or they may order some other kind of locomotive or they may rebuild the existing Genesis units. We just don't know yet. Amtrak hasn't made a decision yet (as far as we know).

peter

It should be noted though that there is no mention of Amtrak anywhere in connection with the aforementioned option, except as speculative joining the dots around here. ;) The options appear as part of the State's order. It is possible that they may assign them to Amtrak or let them lapse or assign them to Metra and SunRail for all we know or do whatever else they please with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/more-siemens-charger-diesel-locomotives-ordered.html

peter

It should be noted though that there is no mention of Amtrak anywhere in connection with the aforementioned option, except as speculative joining the dots around here. ;) The options appear as part of the State's order. It is possible that they may assign them to Amtrak or let them lapse or assign them to Metra and SunRail for all we know or do whatever else they please with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

You are right, who needs larger fuel tanks on a corridor locomotive? :)

This dispute hinders on Frequent Flyer's statement "I mean the 150 units Amtrak will order for long distance use." While there is an option for those locomotives, Amtrak may or may not order such units. A correct statement would be "I mean the 150 units Amtrak MAY order for long distance use." Indeed, Amtrak may end up with those 150 Chargers, or they may order some other kind of locomotive or they may rebuild the existing Genesis units. We just don't know yet. Amtrak hasn't made a decision yet (as far as we know).
:huh: "may", or "will" doesn't matter if there is no money and there is isn't as of right now, so NO, there is not a eminent order coming. I will take it a step farther, Amtrak is about to get a CEO that lead Delta to be an economic powerhouse. One of the ways he did it was by keeping CAPEX low, no new shiny planes. He kept the "paid for "50 year old DC9s flying and scoured the globe for used and cheaper MD88s and MD90s. It wasn't till near the end of his tenure that bargained, and I mean bargained hard for new aircraft. Making opportunistic end of line deals on 737s and A320s (both are switching to a newer series that have mor fuel efficient engines). With that stated, I fully expect the new CEO to look at refurbishing of the Genesis, and yes, it would allow Amtrak to work around the new Tier 4 engine rules. Its what the freight railroads are doing, rebuilding older locomotives with updated electronics.

Amtrak is presently looking at refurbing the Genies.

https://www.ltk.com/work/amtraks-locomotives

But Amtrak is a quasi political entity, and photo ops with shiny new Tier 4 locomotives goes further than photo ops with refurbished locomotives coming from Beach Grove.

Or as you stated go with EMD or GE. Amtrak may go ape and order the troubled prone EMD F125, or GE EVO locomotive with HEP added for LD services since the corridor stuff will be served by the Chargers.

All we know there are options for 150 locomotives from Siemens and for some reason the "states" want larger fuel tanks on this "option"..........hmmmmm.

Airplane purchases are very sensitive to fuel prices, and cost of money. They are part of the equation with the increased maintenance cost of older aircraft. Delta went as far as buying a fuel refinery to help protect it against fuel costs. When fuel costs are higher, more efficient planes start to look better.

There are lots of choices in between. Combining a rebuild of the best of the remaining fleet with a purchase of new units is always a possibility. The future of displaced 59PHI as potential rebuilds has yet to be determined.

Politically speaking, "working around" the Tier 4 rules is really unwise. Looks really bad.

The overall trend socially has been *quite* anti-diesel, and running ancient locomotives which don't comply with modern standards is not a good look.

There may be a need for some life extension of the Genesis locomotives but I wouldn't try to extend them past, say, 2022, unless they're already a lot better than they were required to be. Any large rebuild of them seems likely to be a poor use of money.

There is a strong possibility that diesel emissions regulations could get stricter around then. It's clear that the rules were not meant to allow high-emission Tier 0 locomotives to operate indefinitely except in museum service. It's at the very least likely that any rebuild will be deemed a remanufacture and will require meeting the "new" Tier 0 standards.

I think it's more likely that the entire array of standards will be tightened up around that time. The mass evasion of the new manufacture emissions rule by the freight railroads by doing extensive rebuilding is likely to lead to a more aggressive regulation on emissions in rebuilt locomotives; it's the sort of evasion which Congress tends to be unforgiving about. If the Genesis locomotives don't meet current Tier 2 standards, I'd say there's very high odds they'll be forced to do so around 2022.

I really think it would be better to get some Chargers, which seem to be very good.

Diesel is the best internal combustion engine there is. The NOx debacle is a read herring perpetuated by big oil.

I heard that only one Charger is operating in Hiawatha Service and two are testing as trailing units CHI-St. Louis.

Anyone know what the issues are?

Andy

Last I heard it was getting the PTC systems set up. They were delivered without PTC (I believe part of the agreement) so Amtrak has to set them up.

peter

Chargers have started to lead on the Capitol Corridor albeit with another engine behind them. Here's a video by Sky Rider from this past Thursday of CDTX 2106 leading train #527.

Very wise that the Chargers are being backed up by P-42s. Any problems might show up before the P-42s are assigned elsewhere. Who decided this scenario is to be commended. Could be state or Amtrak ? The Chargers are also being proven their capability to work with both older locos and with the cab cars probably some trips operate with both locos on line ? Once a Charger is fully broken in the broken in it may be dispatched along with a new one to verify a new one is not going to have a unexpected problem.

Hopefully enough P-42s will be released by winter to make more locos available for the expected winter problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back