Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is getting way beyond any reasonable discussion of Amtrak, but the world's worst nightmare is the possibility of a United States gone rogue and behaving more like North Korea than like a civilized nation. The bloviation of several people who call themselves Presidential candidates could mislead someone into believing that as a distinct possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting way beyond any reasonable discussion of Amtrak, but the world's worst nightmare is the possibility of a United States gone rogue and behaving more like North Korea than like a civilized nation.
Absolutely. George W. Bush (especially the invasion of Iraq, and talking about a "crusade") was already causing many nations to worry about a "rogue US". At least North Korea stays within its own borders and looks inward. I think the world is most specifically afraid of the US acting like ISIS. Some of the extremist right-wing preachers make that seem much more plausible than it should seem. And our political mess is not helping that image.

I see no reason to believe trump would doom Amtrak. To be honest, I expect very little will change regardless of who becomes President. So far,]we have some conjecture, a couple quotes, and political opinions. Here's mine: I would certainly consider him for my vote.

Well, to plug my own favorite candidate, I hope y'all would consider Bernie. He was good for Amtrak in Vermont, anyway!

I see no reason to believe trump would doom Amtrak. To be honest, I expect very little will change regardless of who becomes President. So far,]we have some conjecture, a couple quotes, and political opinions. Here's mine: I would certainly consider him for my vote.
Can you elaborate on what it is about Trump that specifically appeals to you? Trump himself has said very little about what any of his actual policies would look like or how he would go about funding and implementing them. Indeed he has routinely declined to explain much of anything even when asked directly. US presidential power is mostly focused outward toward external issues and developments. For domestic needs and goals Congress continues to hold most of the power. Which means finding a way to work with Congress remains a stubborn and unavoidable necessity. It's hard to imagine Trump spending substantial political capitol to save Amtrak from a hostile Congress. Then again Trump hasn't shown any willingness to compromise or coordinate his goals at anytime with anyone. In fact he seems bound and determined to publicly insult and/or threaten nearly everyone he'll eventually have to work with. Which may mean that the coordination and compromise stages may simply never happen and his entire term could end up in some sort of lame duck limbo.

Amtrak fans I would put ur support behind Ted Cruz!
After Saturday, I have some hope that Cruz might yet pull out the nomination. But either he or Trump should have no trouble beating either of the Democrats in the general election, which is were any influence on Amtrak comes into play.

Two more possibilities: (1) Michael Bloomberg decides to run, and/or (2) Trump doesn't get enough delegates and the GOP puts in Paul Ryan to save them.

Michael Bloomberg is discussed earlier in this thread (and I thank those of you who gave the thoughtful replies to my question on how he would affect Amtrak).

But what do you think of Paul Ryan and his views of Amtrak and passenger rail in general? I admit to not knowing a whole lot about him and would welcome insights from those here.

Somehow I think there are bigger issues than Amtrak to consider when voting. And I agree with Jis that should be be in Random Discussions, or even closed since we're not supposed to talking politics on AU.

Two more possibilities: (1) Michael Bloomberg decides to run, and/or (2) Trump doesn't get enough delegates and the GOP puts in Paul Ryan to save them.

Michael Bloomberg is discussed earlier in this thread (and I thank those of you who gave the thoughtful replies to my question on how he would affect Amtrak).

But what do you think of Paul Ryan and his views of Amtrak and passenger rail in general? I admit to not knowing a whole lot about him and would welcome insights from those here.
Paul Ryan actually DOES have a VERY clear record which shows that he would attempt to destroy Amtrak and passenger rail entirely.

I don't think passenger rail is even on the radar of most of the actual candidates.

Paul Ryan actually DOES have a VERY clear record which shows that he would attempt to destroy Amtrak and passenger rail entirely.

I don't think passenger rail is even on the radar of most of the actual candidates.
No, but for candidates who are trying to come across as anti spending, zeroing out all non NEC Amtrak funds would make an easy target in appearing to be fulfilling their promise.

And they wouldn't risk much backlash as most people probably wouldn't even notice any difference.

Re Ted Cruz,( aka "Lyin'Ted, Joe McCarthy II") one of my Texas Senators: look up his record as a Senator and compare it with the Spin and BS ( they all do it!)he's putting out now and make up your own mind.

My own opinion, based on his record and the Hate he spews, is "ABC" ( Anyone but Cruz!)but YMMV!

As they say in Chicago: "Pick your Horse and Vote Early and Vote Often!"

I won't get in to politics here, and am amazed and happy that the political talk here has remained civil, but the President - be it Trump, Bernie, or the reincarnation of Harold Stassen - is not the most important factor in Amtrak's future. Congress holds much more direct power than the Pres ever will. Notice how (rightly or wrongly depending upon your viewpoint) Congress has stymied much of Obama's initiatives. If you care about the future of Amtrak, check out your candidates for the House and Senate and what their feelings toward Amtrak are. That's where the power is.

Amazingly, I have NO quarrel with any of the details in Devil's Advocate's post! (We do agree, methinks, on more than we disagree with.)

By the way, I always agree with Bob Dylan although I have no idea what he sings.

Amazingly, I have NO quarrel with any of the details in Devil's Advocate's post! (We do agree, methinks, on more than we disagree with.)

By the way, I always agree with Bob Dylan although I have no idea what he sings.

Thanks Henry! My Songbook has something for everyone, my Political Views don't!
Henry, its not what he sings,but what he composes in the songbook!! :)

"The Last Waltz!"

To paraphrase President Kennedy: there hadn't been such a collection of talent and intellect gathered together since Thomas Jefferson dined alone!
Hey Bob Dylan....did you ever see your namesake and/or The Band live? I saw Levon Helm and John Prine at Carnegie Hall in the fall of 1980. What a show...I tell you about Woodstock some other time.

Yep, have had the pleasure of hearing/seeing most of the Musical Legends from Hank to Beyonce during my 70+ years on this tiny granite planet!

The Band was made up of fantastic musicians, we won't see their likes again!

As for Dylan, a couple of his shows were fantastic,( Rolling Thunder Review was great!) lots sucked! Best live Song I heard him do was "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It takes a Train to Cry" in Red Rocks, Colorado!

Woodstock I missed but I saw the Beatles in Atlanta ( you couldn't hear! LOL) and Jimi Hendrix in New York!

"The Last Waltz!"

To paraphrase President Kennedy: there hadn't been such a collection of talent and intellect gathered together since Thomas Jefferson dined alone!
Hey Bob Dylan....did you ever see your namesake and/or The Band live? I saw Levon Helm and John Prine at Carnegie Hall in the fall of 1980. What a show...I tell you about Woodstock some other time.
My husband went to Woodstock. It wasn't pre-planned. He said a friend picked him up and said, hey, let's go....

Back