Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual the Presidents Budget will be DOA in Congress!
I agree. As I understand it, he wants to keep the Northeast Corridor and nothing else besides the state supported corridors. I just don't think the rest of the country is going to want to pay for the Northeast Corridor. If we can't have a national train system, then let the states and cities from DC to Boston pay for the NEC.

jb

We cannot let the Republicans in Congress, or Trump, play a divide-and-conquer game. That is precisely what this LD vs. NE Corridor proposal will do if they get their way.

All proponents of passenger rail travel must not be divided. We must unite in opposition (dare I use the word RESIST?) to this or any similar budget proposal. Trust in this: The budget hawks and Trump may not have the NE Corridor in the crosshairs this year, but once they dispense of most LD trains the NE Corridor will be next.

I agree. As I understand it, he wants to keep the Northeast Corridor and nothing else besides the state supported corridors. I just don't think the rest of the country is going to want to pay for the Northeast Corridor. If we can't have a national train system, then let the states and cities from DC to Boston pay for the NEC.

jb
And those in the NEC don't want to pay for LD routes (or at least some of them). Like it or not, most people don't want to pay their tax money for things they won't use and either you serve "everyone", pick and choose, or serve no one. Anyone here who believes Amtrak serves everyone now is kidding themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows, maybe Trump will proposed new railroad expansion (or at least upgrades of existing tracks for higher speeds)? If he's really serious about comparing our trains to Europe's or Asia's trains maybe we'll get a transportation system better than Amtrak. That $1 Trillion has to go somewhere.
And maybe unicorns and rainbows will fly ahead of these trains, heralding their approach.

Or maybe like Healthcare..

"TRUST us, when we get done destroying what we have, we'll make something shiny and new, that's twice as better at half the cost! Bigly!!!"

jb
Amen to that

And those in the NEC don't want to pay for LD routes (or at least some of them). Like it or not, most people don't want to pay their tax money for things they won't use and either you serve "everyone", pick and choose, or serve no one. Anyone here who believes Amtrak serves everyone now is kidding themselves.
Oh for gods sake. Part of living in a society is you contribute to society in general, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to support. I live inland, but my some of my tax money goes to the Coast Guard anyway. I don't watch TV, but some of my taxes go to PBS. Just because you don't see the value of some aspect of publicly funded works doesn't mean the value isn't there.

Here is my realistic view of Trump's budget and everything else: STUCK IN THE MUD!

By the way, this Nashvillian WAS NOT at the Trump "rally" last night and did everything I could to avoid any news coverage of the visit.

jb
Well he's not "keeping" the state supported, the states are.

I have 70K AGR points I was saving for a trip on the SWC in summer of 2018. I'm wondering if I should bump that date up. Do these long distance trains lose that much money?

Time to start calling and emailing and writing letters:

http://cqrcengage.com/narp/app/make-a-call?4&engagementId=315453
I called all 3 and spoke to 2 also (Nelson's and Murphpy's offices) and left message for one (Rubio).
BTW, I am planning to meet Nelson and Murphy during NARP's day on the Hill. I am still debating whether there is any point meeting Posey. A few of will be meeting Rubio, if we can find him, too.
Thanks!!!

The concept I try to get across is that by taking a train, one can see that America IS GREAT. It doesn't need to be made great again. On my recent cross-country train trip, I saw countless grain and stack trains, auto racks and manifest freights, and quite a few coal and oil trains. America IS GREAT! I traveled on trains full of people of all walks of life, and I was free to interact with them. It is our diversity that makes us strong.

I love trains as much as the next guy, but I just don't see the purpose of using them for long distance travel in the US. NYC to LAX on the train takes three days and is $291 for a seat in coach. A direct flight on United costs $219. I don't understand why we need to use tax payers money to fund unprofitable routes when there are plenty of alternative methods of transportation.

Very few passenger travel the full length of the a long distance route. The long distance trains feed traffic into the short haul and NEC trains.

I love trains as much as the next guy, but I just don't see the purpose of using them for long distance travel in the US. NYC to LAX on the train takes three days and is $291 for a seat in coach. A direct flight on United costs $219. I don't understand why we need to use tax payers money to fund unprofitable routes when there are plenty of alternative methods of transportation.
You're right, trains don't make a whole lot of sense for NYP-LAX travel. But they do for NYP-SYR, and ROC-CLE, and TOL-CHI, and CHI-KCY, etc, etc. Now, it's also true that a better case can be made for the eastern long distance trains than the western long distance trains. But, politics being what it is, it's not hard to imagine that if/when all long distance serve is defunded (at least at the federal level), that it will be rather difficult to get much federal funding (whether capital funds or otherwise) for state corridors.

Ultimately, though, the problem with your view is that you're looking at trains with an endpoint only mentality. Trains don't just serve their origin and destination, but also all the enroute points in between.

a) 9/12/01

b) Some people are afraid to fly

c) Some people are medically unable to fly

d) Some people hold personal or religious beliefs that don't permit them to fly.

e) The government was not created to make a profit. True story.

If you're going from NYC to LAX maybe you're right. But Amtrak goes to something like 500 stations. There are a lot of intermediate trips being made.

I'll let our experts address this.

jb

Any transportation that is a public service needs subsidies. Look at the bail outs Congress paid the airlines after 9/11, the cost of the FAA, etc. With another 9/11 event, Amtrak needs to be better equipped to handle the extra flow of passengers to maintain as normal as possible the business flow (national security). Look at all the intermediate stations that Amtrak serves that gives these rural communities access to traveling nationwide without driving. Our interstate system is crumbling and isn't capable of handling the flow of vehicles if everyone drove. Bottom line, this country needs a good rail system, a good interstate system, and a good airline system. All three infrastructures are necessary for the future of our country.

Yup. "Who needs the lymphatic system! We've got Arteries and Veins, and that should be enough, goddammit!"

There is an old saying that anti-Amtrak politicians (and think-tanks, etc.) love to spout: "Trains only make sense in short and medium distance corridors where they can compete with airplanes". There is lacking solid research or studies to support that claim, but regardless, they miss the point that short and medium distance travel is exactly the way the long-distance trains are being used. The real market for the Southwest Chief and other long hauls is to and from intermediate points, many of them indeed 300 to 500 miles distant (similar to several regional corridors).

You don't see the point, primarily, because New York to Los Angeles is not really a market in which Amtrak is competing. As for funding unprofitable routes, if profit is the objective, then all passenger rail nationwide would be shut down - intercity, commuter, and light rail. There are no truly profitable routes - period. Not even Acela is profitable on a fully allocated cost basis; In fact, the so-called "profitable" Northeast Corridor costs more federal tax dollars than the rest of the system combined.

Back