Amtrak Shutdown in Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update on the security at Boston South Station (BOS). This afternoon, when boarding the 1:40 pm southbound regional (I think its 137 - too lazy to check), they increased security. Everyone boarding that specific amtrak train had to show an ID along with their ticket at the gate - before even getting onto the platform.

Once on the platform, folks then had to line up along a table with amtrak police. The amtrak police were swabbing all bags for explosive. Every single person boarding the train thus had their ID checked with their ticket and their bags swabbed for explosives. There were also some dogs.

Not sure if they will be doing this for just a short period of time, but I wanted to mention it because I know some folks have mentioned that IDs are rarely checked. One would not have been able to board this train at all wtihout an ID.

I see that sort of screening to be looking for someone with explosive residue on their hands - i.e. Monday's bomber attempting to leave town - rather than screening for anyone plannng to bomb the train today. Just a guess.

I see that sort of screening to be looking for someone with explosive residue on their hands - i.e. Monday's bomber attempting to leave town - rather than screening for anyone plannng to bomb the train today. Just a guess.
That had not occurred to me, but its an excellent point.

It would be interesting to know if the same thing was done at the bus terminal in South Station, Logan Airport, North Station, etc... and when did they begin?

Last edited by a moderator:
The local news today said that there was extreme high security at the airport and train stations. I am sure they are looking for anyone who as Maine Rider said that would have bomb explosive residue on their hands or their bags that they carried it to boston.

I feel the safety of hightened security can only make me feel safer than not right now. At least until they have someone in custody.

It would be interesting to know if the same thing was done at the bus terminal in South Station, Logan Airport, North Station, etc... and when did they begin?
the local news was reporting from Worcester Airport which is a tiny regional airport that does not have any commercial planes right now, but they increased the security at even the little airports having everyone who was going to fly out of Worcester yesterday and today scanned and swabbed. so I am sure the bus terminals and other stations were handled the same way. They do not want the person to slip out of their hands too easily.

I was at the PVD train station for a few hours yesterday (4/16) and there was an increased police presence and bomb sniffing dogs walking around the station, but nothing intrusive.

My thoughts go out to all involved! :( But if something good can be said about this (and we all need to hear something good) is that it happened in the best place possible - right near the finish line! At the finish line, there are many medics for the runners who just finished the Marathon, many wheelchairs available, etc... And Boston has some of the best Trauma Centers in New England. (They are the go to hospitals that other hospitals send patients to!)

If it were not for this, the casualty rate might have been much worse! :excl:

Currently some of the News Outlets are quoting a CNN Report that the Authorities have a Suspect ID'd from a Video! Supposedly it was a Male in A Black Leather jacket with a Cell Phone who placed a Dark Backpack in the Location of the Second Bomb! The FBI Announced, then Cancelled a Press Conference in Boston but the Media is full of Speculation, like Always, when Authorities keep Info from them in Big Cases! Lets Hope they DO Catch the Perp(s) Soon and they get the Punishment they Deserve after a Trial and Full Protection of their Rights, then when Convicted, Hard Time in Super Max till he/she/they are put out of their Miserable Existence!

Today @ the Austin Station there were HLS and APD with Dogs, seems to Becoming a Regular Occurence @ the Austin Station!

Last edited by a moderator:
Explosives swabbing is one security measure which actually has value sometimes. They had to drop it for rural airports because fertilizer has the same traces as explosives, but it might be useful for catching someone trying to get out of Boston quickly.

MBTA shut down on 4/19/13. Suspect 1 is dead and Suspect 2 is at large - armed and dangerous - possibly in Watertown.

Amtrak has suspended service in and out of Boston because of the search for Suspect #2 from the Marathon Bombing. MBTA also suspends service. Very scary for anyone in the area. Anyone in the area be safe.

News is reporting Amtrak is shut down this morning in Boston along with all other public transit. They want everyone to return home rather than congregating at the station.

CNN just reported that while everyone has been told to stay in their homes and not go anywhere, there are some people who are leaving their residences for two reasons:

To walk their dogs

And, most importantly, to make a run to Dunkin' Donuts!

CNN just reported that while everyone has been told to stay in their homes and not go anywhere, there are some people who are leaving their residences for two reasons:
To walk their dogs

This is not a laughing matter.

To walk their dogs

Hey - I just passed on what CNN said.

To walk their dogs

We New Englanders do go to crazy meausures for our cup of Joe!

Praying this will be over soon without any more lost lives. We have family members hunkered down in Boston and Newton.

To walk their dogs

Hey - I just passed on what CNN said.
I was not specifically talking about you in person but the sentiment that it would be said, whether it was CNN or whomever. I have been watching CNN all morning since 4am and did not hear that.

Hopefully everyone in the Boston Area will be Safe until the other Suspect(s) are Captured (Hopefully Alive so they can receive the Punishment they so Richly Deserve!) and all the Best to the First Responders who are risking their Lives to Serve and Protect as their Motto goes! Tom's Post is a Reminder of how Strange some People can be when they do really Crazy things like go Outside for Trivial Reasons when it's Really Dangerous out there!

And hopefully the poor folks in West, Texas are also Safe and Sound and we find out Soonest the Details of this Tragedy!! :help:

When I heard the "dogs and donuts" bit, it was in a tone of disbelief, not amusement. I don't think CNN meant it to be humorous, but instead, rather incredulous.

Regardless, I hope everyone is safe. June, how far are you from Boston? I'm not familiar with MA geography.

When I heard the "dogs and donuts" bit, it was in a tone of disbelief, not amusement. I don't think CNN meant it to be humorous, but instead, rather incredulous.
Regardless, I hope everyone is safe. June, how far are you from Boston? I'm not familiar with MA geography.
Spencer is farther from Boston than Providence is from Boston. It is in what I would consider "central mass". It is west of worcester.

Honestly, I think the joke about dunks is kind of funny. Everyone knows that there is a DD on every corner in Boston/New England. People mostly go there for coffee, not donuts, if you aren't familiar with Dunkin Donuts.

The shutdown of Boston is absolutely extrodinary! All transport systems, including Taxis are suspended. Basically you cannot go anywhere. I was wondering that while it is a fine sentiment for Amtrak and MBTA to tell folks at their stations to not congregate at the stations, how are those that already happen to be at the stations supposed to go anywhere else when all transport is suspended and you are not supposed to be walking around on streets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back