Remember when people has class LOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rusty spike said:
1345856995[/url]' post='389380']
E Runs said:
1345841425[/url]' post='389322']
rrdude said:
1345840604[/url]' post='389320']
FriskyFL said:
1345835633[/url]' post='389308']Some people have all the luck! ;-)
Haha, that's exactly what I thought.
I'll third this motion!
Good grief. The "Dukes of Hazard" was one of the most idiotic shows on TV. And if weren't for Daisy Duke, I would have never watched it. :wub: :giggle:

I'll fifth (or whatever number we're up to) that motion. :hi:
I would rather have a fifth (or more) of Vodka! And after that, I'll sixth, seventh and eighth it!
tongue.gif

I miss those days. When I was growing up any trip required you to dress nicely. Not that the trip was a 3 piece suit affair, but nice and neat ruled the day. Today I see people board transportation, be it plane, train, or ship in little more (or less) than swimwear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss those days. When I was growing up any trip required you to dress nicely. Not that the trip was a 3 piece suit affair, but nice and neat ruled the day. Today I see people board transportation, be it plane, train, or ship in little more (or less) than swimwear.
Watch this one and note how everyone is dressed. That's the way I remember train travel in the 50's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_LoQ4vHDc

Watch this one and note how everyone is dressed. That's the way I remember train travel in the 50's!
Well, apparently, Mr. LeBlond is not alone. Albeit geared towards airlines, see this article from AP that was just tweeted...

I'm what you'd describe as very casual but there's something about "dressing up" for rail travel that feels....dignified.

:hi: Great Video as always Tom! I was one of those fortunate enough to have ridden the Super Chief back in the day, and although its a Santa Fe propoganda piece it captures how it was very well! Never did get to eat in the Turquoise Room, but the Diner was great! Movie Stars and Presidents used to ride this Train, and of course one dressed up whenever they went "out" even to go shopping! Some things were Better, ie Classier, back in the day! :cool:

This makes me wonder, how did people dress back then on Greyhound or Traailways? It's always been the cheapest way to go. I mean i the 1950s when I was not born yet, I still think people today dress worse then when I was a kid.

This makes me wonder, how did people dress back then on Greyhound or Traailways? It's always been the cheapest way to go. I mean i the 1950s when I was not born yet, I still think people today dress worse then when I was a kid.
Back in the 50's when mom and us two young boys took the train - us kids wore chinos and long-sleeve dress shirts as far as Chicago - mom wore appropriate travel dress.

After we took the Parmalee to the other station - even as coach passengers - we naturally changed into appropriate evening dress for our ride on the NYC. :rolleyes: It would be a complete faux pas to be under-dressed in the diner on the NYC.

Still can't tie the bow tie like we used to have to do to ride the NYC prime train the Twentieth Century Limited. Don't know if they would have kicked us out of the dining car if we didn't have our dinner jackets and bow ties :rolleyes: .

Sheesh!

I actually think that then as now - no shoes no shirt --

Bus, train, airplane -- just look fairly decent no problem.

Had to edit this because the train was the 20th Century not the Lake Shore Limited -- long ago and far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_LoQ4vHDc
Oy -- that's what it was like more or less - obviously a PR video will have the passengers looking classier that what the reality was.

And the whole train was a smoking section.

Back then?

By Train, Plane, Bus, or whatever....everyone dressed up to go out "in public". Look at street scenes in any old photo or movie. People going shopping in department stores, going to the doctor, traveling, whatever, it was a more 'genteel' world back then. Exercise type clothes were changed into and out of at the gym, not worn while traveling.

Nowadays, the only place you see well dressed travelers, are weekdays on Northeast Corridor trains or commuter trains ridden mostly by business, and not leisure travelers...

Actually one thing has 'improved' in recent years...there was a trend in the nineties for women to wear sneakers with otherwise dress clothes to and from work, changing into their heels at work. Now I see little of that. They wear their dress shoes while commuting.

Back then?

By Train, Plane, Bus, or whatever....everyone dressed up to go out "in public". Look at street scenes in any old photo or movie. People going shopping in department stores, going to the doctor, traveling, whatever, it was a more 'genteel' world back then. Exercise type clothes were changed into and out of at the gym, not worn while traveling.

Nowadays, the only place you see well dressed travelers, are weekdays on Northeast Corridor trains or commuter trains ridden mostly by business, and not leisure travelers...
Even in the "First Class" front of the plane - most of the pax are wearing sweats or running shorts or --

Actually one thing has 'improved' in recent years...there was a trend in the nineties for women to wear sneakers with otherwise dress clothes to and from work, changing into their heels at work. Now I see little of that. They wear their dress shoes while commuting.
Improved? I assume you mean that simply from a personal aesthetic point of view?

This is such an incredibly rude statement towards women. Have you worn 4 inch heels? Do you wear them to work?

I always commute in sneakers with my dresses, skirts and suits, and anyone who makes a nasty comment about it can you know what. It is not feasible to walk a mile or be subjected to standing on public transit in the kind of shoes required in my professional office.

Most professional women that I know also do the same thing as me.

Sadly fashion for women does not focus on comfort.

:hi: Good Post amamba! Glad to see that a Woman has some sense in regards to Footwear! All the women Ive ever known have had a "thing" for Shoes (hence there are thousands of Shoe Stores Everywhere!) and tell me that High Heels are Uncomfortable, Unsafe etc. etc. :wacko: !Id think that they should go the way of the Girdle, Bras with Wire in them etc. which according to these same Women were Torture Devices designed by Women Haters! :angry2: All the women I know that still work in more Formal settings do wear Sneakers, Sandals etc. while Commuting, then switch to "Work Dress" Footwear but ones that are Comfortable! ^_^ Men that want to Dictate how Women Dress,Act,Behave, Live their Lives etc. tend to be Right Wing Control Freaks IMO!!

Of course I live where it is Hot! most of the year and we have a more Casual Attitude towards Dress! Sort of a mix between Work Attire and the Beach, aka Office Casual! The same could be said about Suits, Neckties, Starched Shirts etc. Most Men around here now wear Polo Shirts, Slacks etc. to work during Summer (Basically 8 months out of the Year!)reserving more Formal Dress for Special Occasions! Makes good sense to me! :)

Men that want to Dictate how Women Dress, Act, Behave, Live their Lives etc. tend to be Right Wing Control Freaks IMO!!
Of course I live where it is Hot! most of the year and we have a more Casual Attitude towards Dress! Sort of a mix between Work Attire and the Beach, aka Office Casual! The same could be said about Suits, Neckties, Starched Shirts etc. Most Men around here now wear Polo Shirts, Slacks etc. to work during Summer (Basically 8 months out of the Year!)reserving more Formal Dress for Special Occasions! Makes good sense to me! :)
Now, now, Jim. Don't insult right wing control freaks.

To Amamba I say, go girl!!

If anyone objects pull a spike heel shoe out and smack him in the head and see how far it will penetrate. :angry2: :angry2:

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

-Thoreau

I think substituting fashionable for new keeps within the spirit of the quote...

Back then?

Even in the "First Class" front of the plane - most of the pax are wearing sweats or running shorts or --
Yes, to an extent. I typically fly casually, even in FC and change upon arrival for any same day meetings. Usually, I schedule a travel day, with nothing scheduled, then do my thing the next day, and fly home following whatever business I had there-So, usually in jeans and a T-shirt/polo outbound, and business casual, or maybe a sport coat and slacks on return. Sitting in FC, you sometimes get to meet some really interesting people. The funny thing is, the more dressy the person, typically, the less important! The real big spenders who actually PAY for FC, (i.e. not upgraded though their rewards program) tend to dress more casually than the every day Joe like me, who scored an upgrade. (which, thankfully I do almost all the time. Makes flying a LOT more enjoyable!)

Edit to add: I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)

Improved? I assume you mean that simply from a personal aesthetic point of view?
Yes, that is exactly what I mean...if you are going to dress casual, do so. If formal, do that. The mixing up to me looks tacky.

I didn't realize my comment would be such a 'touchy', hot button issue.

My apologies to anyone that I offended by it...

Back in the 50's when mom and us two young boys took the train - us kids wore chinos and long-sleeve dress shirts as far as Chicago - mom wore appropriate travel dress.

After we took the Parmalee to the other station - even as coach passengers - we naturally changed into appropriate evening dress for our ride on the NYC. :rolleyes: It would be a complete faux pas to be under-dressed in the diner on the NYC.

Still can't tie the bow tie like we used to have to do to ride the NYC prime train the Twentieth Century Limited. Don't know if they would have kicked us out of the dining car if we didn't have our dinner jackets and bow ties :rolleyes: .

Sheesh!

I actually think that then as now - no shoes no shirt --

Bus, train, airplane -- just look fairly decent no problem.

Had to edit this because the train was the 20th Century not the Lake Shore Limited -- long ago and far away.
Dinner jackets, huh? I try to dress as good as I can but I can't wear a dinner jacket on a train without getting the looks. Sorry.

[Edit to add: I NEVER fly in shorts or flip flops. Has nothing to do with style though, and everything to do with dressing for a potential emergency. Be it on a train, or plane, it's long pants and shoes, at the least. If there is ever an incident, and I need to get out, I don't really want to be doing it with flash burns, while running on sharp metal and glass barefoot! (8 years as a USAF aircrewman-always be prepared to evacuate-Those planes and trains are built by the lowest bidder!)
Back in the days when I did travel by plane (not for >10 years now), I never flew wearing pantyhose for similar reasons, after someone told me about how being close to a fire could make them melt to your legs. However, I suspect if I were in a plane crash, I wouldn't be worrying about pantyhose...I'd probably be long past that and more worrying about what I was gonna say to St. Peter.... But yeah. Slacks and flat shoes with some kind of traction.

Flip flops can be dangerous other places. One of our students here took a pretty spectacular fall crossing the stage at graduation. (Yes. They wore flip flops to graduation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back