Sunset Limited BULLETIN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and my proverbial two cents on train names.
If I were the timetable king of Amtrak, I'd give the Sunset name to the daily Chicago-LA train, and name the stub train The Argonaut ... which was the name of the secondary train on the Sunset Route back in Southern Pacific days. It's a cool name, I think, and it would fit for the stub train.
Other historic trains on the route between SAS and NOL were the Alamo and the Acadian. The Argonaut was the secondary train between LAX and NOL. I actually kind of like the Alamo myself. What train number do you think they will use??? The Argonaut was 5&6 the Alamo was 7&8 and the Acadian was 3&4 but so was the Golden State. Will they keep 1&2 for the LAX to Chi train or use 21&22? I just hope this all comes off as planned. It's going to be interesting.

If anybody wanders what the above is about, it refers to the song about of the wreck of old 97 between Lynchburg and Danville. A true life event.

Under the new plan, there would be no sleeper for us and Amtrak would have lost that revenue. Revenue that we know to be substantial.
Alan you keep saying this. It's just not factual. The current Sunset sleepers(four sets) sit around in New Orleans three days before they return doing nothing and earning no revenue. When this train goes daily, all the sleepers in the pool(I believe that will be around 9 or 10) will be busy all the time earning revenue except on each end when they are turned and serviced. There is no slack in the schedule like there is now. The SAS to NOL trains will offer business class. The schedule for them is 8am departure and 10pm arrival at the other end. No overnight. They will pass through Houston around noon eastbound and 5pm westbound. I don't know why you have to have your sleeper on this daylight section, but I'll talk to Boardman and see what I can do for you. lol.
Henry,

I'm sorry but it is true. If there had been no sleeper in NOL when the OTOL group boarded, Amtrak would have only earned coach fare from our group for that first day/night out of NOL. Instead they earned sleeper revenue for 1 bedroom and 5 roomettes, plus rail fare for 9 people for that first day/night.

While I wouldn't argue that it is possible that Amtrak may well be able to make up that loss by now having the equipment that does sit in NOL in service on the new "Eagle", that does nothing to help the new stub train's revenue. It may help Amtrak's bottom line, but it doesn't help the stubie's revenue numbers. And it's those numbers that will make or break that train and quite possibly cause what I fear to happen, that they ask Texas to pay for this train in the future.

And then there remains the question of, just how much better would the Sunset be doing if they just threw this current plan out the window and figured out how to get the Sunset to run daily NOL to LAX. It has to be possible to do this with all the wreck repairs coming out of BG. Remember that the Cardinal used to be Superliner, so that "extra" equipment has to be somewhere. That, plus the wrecks, plus the wasted nights in NOL has to be enough to go daily.

I don't believe that the current plan is indeed the best plan, although I'll be more than willing to admit that I'm wrong if things work out that way. But I'm betting that if this were being properly studied, that not only is it possible to get the Sunset to run daily, but that it would be better for Amtrak in terms of revenue to do so.

Which is why my big problems with all this remains, why is Amtrak doing this without any studies or surveys? And why are they rushing to do this?

I wonder if there is not a generation gap as to how important the train name is. Older times there were more trains and a greater percentage of people rode the trains. Perhaps there was more interest back then, comparing one train wth another, etc.

Today's travelers have never known anything but numbers, so why should the train be any different?

I wonder if there is not a generation gap as to how important the train name is. Older times there were more trains and a greater percentage of people rode the trains. Perhaps there was more interest back then, comparing one train wth another, etc.
Today's travelers have never known anything but numbers, so why should the train be any different?
Maybe it meant something back in the day when all the trains were different in what they offered, either facilities or a faster journey, but these days it is essentially all the same so apart from a spot of marketing there is no real difference to the travelling public.

The only advantage to names I can see is if you have multiple trains to/from the same terminals-- when somebody asks me about the train from New York to Chicago comparing the Lake Shore Limited to the Cardinal is a lot easier than taking about the difference between 48/49 and 50/51... But since there are few LD trains that have the same terminals-- it makes it just another marketing spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be some of it, but I think i depends more on what is being marketed. If you're primarily just marketing transportation -- like in a short-haul corridor -- than a number will suffice, but to get people on longer-haul trains (especially at premium fares), you need to market an experience. And that's where the train name comes into play. This explains why most busses don't have names, but cruise ships do.

If anybody wanders what the above is about, it refers to the song about of the wreck of old 97 between Lynchburg and Danville. A true life event.
I wonder if I'm the youngest person on this forum to have grown up listening to that song over and over and over again ... played on a record. Most of my childhood music was on cassette tapes, including several tapes of railroad songs, but I distinctly remember "The Wreck of the Old 97" was on a 45 record, bought at the old Roanoke Transportation Museum. Happy memories :)

Hi,

Throughout all the ''dialogue'' I've read through ( very informative ) , I've not yet seen if there is, as part of the overall proposal AMK & UP are going to discuss, a proposed schedule NewOrleans-SanAntonio both ways.....I prsume it'll be a daytime operations based on a slightly ''better '' 13-14 hours window, but does anybody knows if the actual scheduling has even been put forwards yet ?

Connected with that, I would imagine TE's running times L.A to SanAntonio wold be massively affected, like a 23;00hr departure from L.A and a ( very very) early arrival and slight layover in SanAntonio.....and how would the WB run be affected ? If the stubie from NOL is in town already by ~~ 22;00hr, surely #21 would then leave towards L.A much earlier than the present 05;40hr...what does that do to its arrival time in L.A. ??

Tks

Cheers

Claude

Hi,Throughout all the ''dialogue'' I've read through ( very informative ) , I've not yet seen if there is, as part of the overall proposal AMK & UP are going to discuss, a proposed schedule NewOrleans-SanAntonio both ways.....I prsume it'll be a daytime operations based on a slightly ''better '' 13-14 hours window, but does anybody knows if the actual scheduling has even been put forwards yet ?

Connected with that, I would imagine TE's running times L.A to SanAntonio wold be massively affected, like a 23;00hr departure from L.A and a ( very very) early arrival and slight layover in SanAntonio.....and how would the WB run be affected ? If the stubie from NOL is in town already by ~~ 22;00hr, surely #21 would then leave towards L.A much earlier than the present 05;40hr...what does that do to its arrival time in L.A. ??

Tks

Cheers

Claude
Claude, the coach trains are to leave each end at 8am and arrive at the other end at 10pm. The Eagle/Sunset eastbound will revert to the original schedule from before Katrina with a late evening departure from LAX and an early morning arrival in San Antonio. I assume they will retain something like 90 minutes to two hour layover there just as padding. Eastbound, with both trains arriving around 10pm they can leave whenever they want, but I would guess around midnight. They will have ample time to get to LAX even with an early morning arrival there. Probably something like 6:30am. That's all I have heard so far. Will be interesting to see how they work it out.

Under the new plan, there would be no sleeper for us and Amtrak would have lost that revenue. Revenue that we know to be substantial.
Alan you keep saying this. It's just not factual.
Henry,

I'm sorry but it is true. If there had been no sleeper in NOL when the OTOL group boarded, Amtrak would have only earned coach fare from our group for that first day/night out of NOL. Instead they earned sleeper revenue for 1 bedroom and 5 roomettes, plus rail fare for 9 people for that first day/night.

While I wouldn't argue that it is possible that Amtrak may well be able to make up that loss by now having the equipment that does sit in NOL in service on the new "Eagle", that does nothing to help the new stub train's revenue. It may help Amtrak's bottom line, but it doesn't help the stubie's revenue numbers. And it's those numbers that will make or break that train and quite possibly cause what I fear to happen, that they ask Texas to pay for this train in the future.

And then there remains the question of, just how much better would the Sunset be doing if they just threw this current plan out the window and figured out how to get the Sunset to run daily NOL to LAX. It has to be possible to do this with all the wreck repairs coming out of BG. Remember that the Cardinal used to be Superliner, so that "extra" equipment has to be somewhere. That, plus the wrecks, plus the wasted nights in NOL has to be enough to go daily.

I don't believe that the current plan is indeed the best plan, although I'll be more than willing to admit that I'm wrong if things work out that way. But I'm betting that if this were being properly studied, that not only is it possible to get the Sunset to run daily, but that it would be better for Amtrak in terms of revenue to do so.

Which is why my big problems with all this remains, why is Amtrak doing this without any studies or surveys? And why are they rushing to do this?

Alan you are just talking about revenue on the coach train. I was saying that overall, the equipment from the two trains will earn more revenue that it does now with the current schedules. We are talking apples and oranges here. As for the rest, I don't know if it's the best plan or the worst plan or whatever. I don't think they just jumped into this without looking at the numbers. I don't see how the board could approve something without numbers. They just didn't show the study to you. I hope it comes to pass. Daily service trumps all as far as I am concerned. It's long overdue.

Actually some groups have claimed that the best performing segment was Orlando to New Orleans. And the initial drop in revenue from just over $11 million pre-Katrina to just over $5 million post Katrina would seem to confirm that. Remember that for over 6 months, the Sunset terminated in San Antonio.
Of course they would claim this. They are attempting to get its operation restored. What are they going to say? "Restore this section! ITS PERFORMANCE SUCKED!"

The loss in revenue is more than adequately explained by the loss in destinations combined with the fact that due to the devastation in the area there is less desire to be in the vicinity of New Orleans.

Amtrak can't run a CCC with just an LSA and a cook.
And why not? They can't offer waited service with just an LSA and a cook, but this isn't a long distance train. It doesn't need waited service.

The Sunset's per passenger loss is only $437, not $600.
The Sunset has historically lost $600+. This year it is doing better. Why are we even discussing these semantics?

VIA Rail disagrees with you, as do their studies and surveys, which is why they have eliminated all train names except for the Canadian.
Via Rails studies were aimed at the importance of the name to the passenger. I conceded it isn't particularly important to the passenger. VIA did not direct it to worker pride. In any case, besides their ability to provide hilariously overpriced first class service on their flagship train, VIA is a ludicrously inefficient enterprise. Suggesting that any management activities of their operation be copied by anyone is quixotic.

By the way, while dumping the Sunset Limited name would get rid of that black eye as it were for Amtrak, one of two things will happen. Either the new stub train will do so poorly as to take it's place or the Cardinal will take over as the hated train. The anti-Amtrak/anti-rail crowd will simply transfer their hate to whatever train is the worst performer. Changing the name won't solve the problem, it just transfers it elsewhere.
Good. Much as I like the scenery on the Cardinal, eliminating the last of Harley Staggers legacy to the world will be a good thing for Amtrak. They can allocate their resources to more productive things then a train that winds to heck and back in search of a city reached much faster otherwise.

By the way, while dumping the Sunset Limited name would get rid of that black eye as it were for Amtrak, one of two things will happen. Either the new stub train will do so poorly as to take it's place or the Cardinal will take over as the hated train. The anti-Amtrak/anti-rail crowd will simply transfer their hate to whatever train is the worst performer. Changing the name won't solve the problem, it just transfers it elsewhere.
Good. Much as I like the scenery on the Cardinal, eliminating the last of Harley Staggers legacy to the world will be a good thing for Amtrak. They can allocate their resources to more productive things then a train that winds to heck and back in search of a city reached much faster otherwise.
GML this made me laugh out loud! I don't completely agree with you, as I think the Cardinal serves some great cities that need more service, but not necesarily the way the Cardinal delivers it (Cincinatti in the middle of the night for example). However the visual in my mind of this little amtrak train wandering around "in search of a city" is very funny.

Alan you keep saying this. It's just not factual. The current Sunset sleepers(four sets) sit around in New Orleans three days before they return doing nothing and earning no revenue. When this train goes daily, all the sleepers in the pool(I believe that will be around 9 or 10) will be busy all the time earning revenue except on each end when they are turned and serviced. There is no slack in the schedule like there is now. The SAS to NOL trains will offer business class. The schedule for them is 8am departure and 10pm arrival at the other end. No overnight. They will pass through Houston around noon eastbound and 5pm westbound. I don't know why you have to have your sleeper on this daylight section, but I'll talk to Boardman and see what I can do for you. lol.
Henry,

No "studies or surveys"?? I don't know if you're aware of this (one would hope you would be with all the interest you take in my employer), but there are reams of statistics concerning both current and historic ridership on all of Amtrak's routes. While Amtrak does enjoy getting community input from those who live along routes where changes are proposed, ultimately it comes down to the numbers. And a 3-car train would serve the current SAS-NOL portion adequately most of the year, at FAR less cost than the current consist. There would be only a (relatively) short overnight for the equipment each night in NOL, and during holidays - or should ridership increase substantially with the new plan - additional cars could easily be brought in. BTW, there are a couple of "possible" additions for the more distant future. Management has talked about extending either the CNO or the Crescent AS the stub train to SAS - an interesting concept, but one which would require more significant schedule changes, so that's a bit further down the line. Also under discussion - if CSX ever bends (and it will probably require the FRA to step in and enforce longstanding agreements) - is the idea of having the stub train continue on through to JAX; yet another idea they're toying with is to extend the CNO to JAX. Amtrak is not in the business of providing land cruises; they are in the business of providing transportation. Just like commercial airlines, some people are willing to pay for extra amenities, but especially given that Amtrak is constantly under the microscope of Congress regarding spending, there are many places where it simply does not warrant carrying passengers in sleeper accommodations. I have worked the SL from LAX-NOL many, many times. Yes, occasionally there can be several sleeper rooms occupied; but more often than not (and revenue statistics for the sleepers bear this out), there are nearly-empty sleeper cars that have to remain fully staffed all the way into NOL. It makes no financial sense, and complaining about the lack of premium services like that does nothing to offset the massive losses that such services incur. IF - and that's still only IF - they do run a train from SAS-JAX, then it is possible that the sleepers would return. But for a trip currently projected to take just about 12 hours, all within normal "daylight" hours (nothing before 6 a.m or after 10 p.m.), you will not be seeing sleeper cars.

You should actually rejoice that travel times between LAX-NOL will be reduced by something like 5-6 hours both directions! It makes for a much more attractive proposition for the average traveler. Going, for example, from ELP to NOL would suddenly become reasonable, when you've knocked almost 30 percent of the travel time off!! For that, most travelers are willing to go through this "massive inconvenience" (my quote only, based upon the histrionics I keep reading) of walking 8 feet across a train platform around breakfast time...you know, sort of like they do when taking the SWC east and trying to transfer to the St. Louis train at KCY...

More trains and quicker travel times are a GOOD thing. American Orient Express and its ilk are constantly going under for a REASON! Keep your eyes and ears - and mind - open in the coming months for lots of announcements regarding new services and new equipment (anybody heard of the Superliner 3's they're designing right now?). Many less-populated areas of the midwest and southeast, in particular, are about to get a lot more travel options.

they are in the business of providing transportation.
Something they are currently failing to provide East of NOL by the way... for what, four years now?

Essential service. If Amtrak cannot provide essential service to an area of this country it doesn't deserve to exist.

Nobody is advocating land cruises. You cannot call a Superliner roomette a cruise. It is spartan, nice, but spartan. There is no luxury besides some damn good coffee. We are advocating the spread of essential service to taxpayers. That doesn't mean Amtrak has to serve every city in every state, but it does mean they can't turn a blind eye when the demand for service is clearly there.

Six million in revenue is nothing to thumb your nose at... and that's what Sunset East was bringing in--

Very interesting if true! We've had other imposters post rumours and inside scoop before, if you really are an employee with connections it's very good news about the future trains and equipment! I'm one who agrees that sleepers aren't necessary for the SAS-NOL train! If the Crescent or CONO is extended to SAS that would be different since they both carry sleepers, I tend to doubt however that the Crescent would be run all the way but stranger things have happened!Same thing with the City, a stub train is almost certain IMHO!The City to Florida makes all the sense in the world it says here!

I continue to be amazed that so much interest is being expressed by so many people over our two little trains but glad that Amtrak is finally doing something! Keep us posted please, we're all eyes and ears! :unsure:

Alan you keep saying this. It's just not factual.
Henry,

Alan you are just talking about revenue on the coach train. I was saying that overall, the equipment from the two trains will earn more revenue that it does now with the current schedules. We are talking apples and oranges here. As for the rest, I don't know if it's the best plan or the worst plan or whatever. I don't think they just jumped into this without looking at the numbers. I don't see how the board could approve something without numbers. They just didn't show the study to you. I hope it comes to pass. Daily service trumps all as far as I am concerned. It's long overdue.
Henry,

Agreed.

But remember, that the revenue for that coach train will be scruitinized. And if it's too low, that train either goes away or Texas/Louisiana get asked to pay for it. And you'll recall my stating early on that this is what I'm afraid of. I see Amtrak hoping that maybe this does work out well, but betting that if it doesn't, that they'll then look at the states and say "pony up or the train goes bye-bye."

As for numbers, I'm sure that they have cost numbers and it probably does look better on paper than what they currently have. But I don't believe for one minute that anyone has studied what could happen or how to get the equipment needed to just go daily. And again, I don't think that there has even been a study to survey how many would be willing to ride the new daylight train vs. how many might stop riding because of no sleepers. Amtrak displays every study done for everything else, if they had one for this, it would be on their website.

So again I suspect that the only numbers that the board is looking at, are the predictions on costs of the current vs. the proposed.

Alan, I dare you to get a copy of the DEIS for the ARC tunnel. Actually, if you get a copy of it, I'll pay you for a photo copy of it. You can't find it. I suspect it doesn't actually exist. Everyone from Lautenberg and Capon on down the line has attempted to get access to that study.

The reason they claim they aren't releasing it is it is an internal study and not intended for publication. Its a draft.

Amtrak puts a copy of every study they make for external consumption, yes. But this thing probably was only intended to inform people at the top about raw numbers. It lacks pretty pictures and needless charts, in all likelyhood. In otherwords, NJ Transit citing a DEIS is not truly proof that such a study exists in the form they describe it. Likewise, Amtrak not showing a study on this subject is not proof that it doesn't exist.

Actually some groups have claimed that the best performing segment was Orlando to New Orleans. And the initial drop in revenue from just over $11 million pre-Katrina to just over $5 million post Katrina would seem to confirm that. Remember that for over 6 months, the Sunset terminated in San Antonio.
Of course they would claim this. They are attempting to get its operation restored. What are they going to say? "Restore this section! ITS PERFORMANCE SUCKED!"

The loss in revenue is more than adequately explained by the loss in destinations combined with the fact that due to the devastation in the area there is less desire to be in the vicinity of New Orleans.
They presented actual numbers to prove this. At that time I was unable to prove or disprove those numbers, and Amtrak hasn't done so either. Amtrak has claimed that they were wrong, but it hasn't provided proof to my knowledge.

As for the remainder, New Orleans has come back as a destination, that's why the Sunset's numbers have come back up. but they still fall short of where things were before, because the east did provide a substantial amount of passengers and revenue, even if it doesn't exceed the western section.

Amtrak can't run a CCC with just an LSA and a cook.
And why not? They can't offer waited service with just an LSA and a cook, but this isn't a long distance train. It doesn't need waited service.
If you're not going to offer waited service, then you don't need a CCC nor do you need a cook. If you are going to offer waited service, then the union will require at least one SA. Even if the union didn't require it, and I'm sure that they will, unless my worst fears are realized and the stub runs virtually empty, one LSA cannot handle both the cafe and the dining side by themselves.

The Sunset's per passenger loss is only $437, not $600.
The Sunset has historically lost $600+. This year it is doing better. Why are we even discussing these semantics?
Sorry, but no. In fact over the past 6 years the closest that it's come to $600 was in 2006 when the train spent half a year suspended and then of course New Orleans was still a major disaster. On the other hand, it had it's best performance when it was running east of NOL. Here's the rundown.

2003 $263.73

2004 $282.08

2005 $432.71

2006 $524.49

2007 $470.51

2008 $437.82

2009 $434.82 (11 months of data)

Great, just what the National Passenger Rail Corp needs to do, cut service to still more towns and cities, including a few decent sized cities.

And then once both the Sunset and the Cardinal are gone, what's next? Maybe we can move onto the Zephyr or the Chief, both of which are currently loosing more than $50 million each.

No "studies or surveys"?? I don't know if you're aware of this (one would hope you would be with all the interest you take in my employer), but there are reams of statistics concerning both current and historic ridership on all of Amtrak's routes.
EWC, not only am I aware of that, I've been busy posting numbers in this topic from those statistics. And quite frankly I don't see the evidence in those stats to prove that this proposal is a good idea. In fact, the Sunset's best numbers (which I just posted a few minutes ago) came when the Sunset ran full length LAX to Orlando.

So if these are the numbers that were presented to the board, then they are ignoring reality, unless there is a study that clearly shows that going daily without sleepers between NOL and SAS will see such a large increase in ridership as to offset the losses from dropping the sleepers.

And a 3-car train would serve the current SAS-NOL portion adequately most of the year, at FAR less cost than the current consist.
Actually we don't really know that this is true. While unfortunately we don't have many examples to work with, consider the following comparison to the Palmetto, which is about 200 miles longer than the revised Sunset SAS-NOL would be. The Palmetto generates only $4.9 million more in revenue than does the Sunset, yet it takes 2.5 times as many passengers for that small gain in revenue. And of course, it runs daily, unlike the Sunset. If the real Sunset were running daily, I've no doubt that its revenue would swell considerably and put the Palmetto to shame and quite possibly still not carrying more passengers.

Now the Palmetto's losses are less than the Sunset's, $11.8M to the Sunset's $31.4M; but then the Palmetto doesn't force passengers to transfer in order to reach 3 major markets. Additionally the Palmetto gets to share its expenses with the Silver Service trains, along with the corridor trains for the NEC. That reduces station overhead charges to the Palmetto's budget. And finally, at least part of the losses, and potentially more than half of the expenses charged to the Sunset come from west of San Antonio. So the losses east of SAS right now are probably not much worse than the Palmetto's.

BTW, there are a couple of "possible" additions for the more distant future. Management has talked about extending either the CNO or the Crescent AS the stub train to SAS - an interesting concept, but one which would require more significant schedule changes, so that's a bit further down the line.
Yes, we've all heard those ideas and discussed them.

Also under discussion - if CSX ever bends (and it will probably require the FRA to step in and enforce longstanding agreements) - is the idea of having the stub train continue on through to JAX; yet another idea they're toying with is to extend the CNO to JAX.
What CSX? Amtrak can restore service tomorrow to Orlando if it wants to, at least on a 3 day a week schedule. CSX gave them the go ahead more than 3 years ago. The only one preventing service to Orlando is Amtrak!

And if we're talking about extending the "stub' train through, well then fine Amtrak needs to work that out with CSX. However, now we're right back to needed a full service train with sleepers and a diner, so we've accomplished nothing if we're using the stub train. We could just make the current Sunset daily and be done with it. No need to force passengers to change in SAS, which would be providing a lesser service because of that transfer.

If we send the City east, we'll then that's a horse of a different color. However, now we're forcing people into a three seat ride if they want to go Orlando to LAX.

Amtrak is not in the business of providing land cruises; they are in the business of providing transportation. Just like commercial airlines, some people are willing to pay for extra amenities, but especially given that Amtrak is constantly under the microscope of Congress regarding spending, there are many places where it simply does not warrant carrying passengers in sleeper accommodations. I have worked the SL from LAX-NOL many, many times. Yes, occasionally there can be several sleeper rooms occupied; but more often than not (and revenue statistics for the sleepers bear this out), there are nearly-empty sleeper cars that have to remain fully staffed all the way into NOL. It makes no financial sense, and complaining about the lack of premium services like that does nothing to offset the massive losses that such services incur.
Sorry, but the revenue stats for the sleepers do not bear that out. In fact, if I take the sleeper ridership stats for the Sunset for 2008, divide by 3 to arrive at a daily total, then multiply by 7 to arrive at a potential number that can be compared to all other Amtrak services, the Sunset is selling more rooms than the Silver Star, the City, the Eagle, and the Crescent. And as I've already posted earlier, even running 3 days a week, the sleeper revenues are greater than the Cardinal and fall only $260K behind the City, despite carrying less than half the number of passengers. If I play the same trick of dividing by 3, and then multiplying by 7, the Sunset now exceeds the sleeper revenues of the Cardinal, Silver Star, Capitol Limited, the City, the Eagle, the Lake Shore, and the Crescent.

And if I go back and look at sleeper numbers from 2003 & 2004, pre-dating Katrina and the suspension of service west of NOL, things get really interesting. Back then passenger counts exceeded only the Cardinal and the Three Rivers. However, sleeper revenue exceeded the Cardinal, 3R's, the Silver Meteor, the Capitol Limited, the City of NOL, the Eagle, and the Crescent. And that was with 3 day a week service. Just imagine what this train could do with daily service.

You should actually rejoice that travel times between LAX-NOL will be reduced by something like 5-6 hours both directions! It makes for a much more attractive proposition for the average traveler.
This can be accomplished without changing the trains to the proposed plan, and in fact knocking 5 or 6 hours off the current schedules has nothing to do with the proposed changes and everything to do with better time keeping on the part of Union Pacific. Back in I believe between 2000 and 2002, Amtrak was forced to add 10-1/2 hours of padding to the Sunset's schedule because of the UP delays; 2 on the CSX side and 8-1/2 on the UP side. Amtrak is simply reclaiming part of that time because UP is doing better at getting the trains over the road. And they still aren't getting all that padding back.

More trains and quicker travel times are a GOOD thing. American Orient Express and its ilk are constantly going under for a REASON! Keep your eyes and ears - and mind - open in the coming months for lots of announcements regarding new services and new equipment (anybody heard of the Superliner 3's they're designing right now?). Many less-populated areas of the midwest and southeast, in particular, are about to get a lot more travel options.
I wouldn't argue that more trains and quicker travel times are a good thing. But we're not getting more trains out of this change, and the quicker times have nothing to do with the proposed changes.

Alan, I dare you to get a copy of the DEIS for the ARC tunnel. Actually, if you get a copy of it, I'll pay you for a photo copy of it. You can't find it. I suspect it doesn't actually exist. Everyone from Lautenberg and Capon on down the line has attempted to get access to that study.
The reason they claim they aren't releasing it is it is an internal study and not intended for publication. Its a draft.

Amtrak puts a copy of every study they make for external consumption, yes. But this thing probably was only intended to inform people at the top about raw numbers. It lacks pretty pictures and needless charts, in all likelyhood. In otherwords, NJ Transit citing a DEIS is not truly proof that such a study exists in the form they describe it. Likewise, Amtrak not showing a study on this subject is not proof that it doesn't exist.
First, I strongly suspect that there is no comparison between these two things and entities.

However, if indeed a comparison can be drawn, then that only further serves to support my position, as if Amtrak is releasing everything else, then the only reason for not releasing this study would be because it proves that this is not the correct plan. And I don't need pretty charts and graphs, in fact, I never even look at them generally. I look that the numbers and raw data. Besides, one never goes to a board without pretty pictures and graphs.

If you're not going to offer waited service, then you don't need a CCC nor do you need a cook. If you are going to offer waited service, then the union will require at least one SA. Even if the union didn't require it, and I'm sure that they will, unless my worst fears are realized and the stub runs virtually empty, one LSA cannot handle both the cafe and the dining side by themselves.
Ridiculous, some of your reasoning. A standard snack-car is inadequate for a 573-mile, 12 hour run. Amtrak has spare CCCs, as we all know- and they would be coming off of the Eagle anyway- it would get the Sunsets diners. The point for using a CCC is better meals with better throughput then a snack coach or sightseer. It doesn't have to offer the level of service provided elsewhere. Your thinking is symptomatic of the kind of unimaginative rubbish that has prevented Amtrak from making an operating profit over the past 40 years, something I personally believe it can do.

I wouldn't argue that more trains and quicker travel times are a good thing. But we're not getting more trains out of this change, and the quicker times have nothing to do with the proposed changes.
Again with the stuffy, in the box, silly thinking? Under the current arrangement, you get a total of 34 trains- 14 CONOs, 14 Texas Eagles, 6 Sunset Limiteds, a week. Under the new plan, you get a total of 42- 14 each of the Golden State Limited, Texas Sunrise, and City of Miami. You are getting 8 more trains there, dude, every week, 416 more trains a year, and the whole shebang served.

First, I strongly suspect that there is no comparison between these two things and entities.
However, if indeed a comparison can be drawn, then that only further serves to support my position, as if Amtrak is releasing everything else, then the only reason for not releasing this study would be because it proves that this is not the correct plan. And I don't need pretty charts and graphs, in fact, I never even look at them generally. I look that the numbers and raw data. Besides, one never goes to a board without pretty pictures and graphs.
Please. I expect this kind of childish unsubstantiated unilateral dismissal out of a 16 year old newbie on a forum based around a video game. I hold you to a higher standard of thinking.

Ridiculous, some of your reasoning. A standard snack-car is inadequate for a 573-mile, 12 hour run. Amtrak has spare CCCs, as we all know- and they would be coming off of the Eagle anyway- it would get the Sunsets diners. The point for using a CCC is better meals with better throughput then a snack coach or sightseer. It doesn't have to offer the level of service provided elsewhere. Your thinking is symptomatic of the kind of unimaginative rubbish that has prevented Amtrak from making an operating profit over the past 40 years, something I personally believe it can do.
First, a standard snack car has been considered adequate for similar runs for many years by Amtrak. We currrently have the Palmetto at over 800 miles, the Vermonter at 611 miles, and the Carolinian at 704 miles. If this were important to Amtrak, then these trains should be having this problem solved first. We don't need to downgrade the Sunset, only to provide better meals. Especially when we're already providing better meals and better service.

And you can't charge wait served prices if you're not providing wait service. And no, Amtrak doesn't have spare CCC's. If they did, then they'd already be running on the Empire Builder. There would be no need for Amtrak to get the diner's out of BG so that the CCC's can be taken off the Capitol.

But I simply don't think that you're going to get that one past the unions. And even if you do, it's not my thinking that's going to hold things back here, you're forgetting that this entire idea is for Amtrak to cut costs. They aren't going to put a cook on the CCC, unless they're going to do wait service. They won't think that the cost is justifiable otherwise. This isn't my thinking, this is their thinking.

Again with the stuffy, in the box, silly thinking? Under the current arrangement, you get a total of 34 trains- 14 CONOs, 14 Texas Eagles, 6 Sunset Limiteds, a week. Under the new plan, you get a total of 42- 14 each of the Golden State Limited, Texas Sunrise, and City of Miami. You are getting 8 more trains there, dude, every week, 416 more trains a year, and the whole shebang served.
You're counting runs. I'm counting trains. And again, we can achieve the same results by just running the Sunset daily. No need to force customers to make 2 transfers to go coast to coast. That's silly thinking!

Please. I expect this kind of childish unsubstantiated unilateral dismissal out of a 16 year old newbie on a forum based around a video game. I hold you to a higher standard of thinking.
Please, you brought up and useless and baseless comparison. What NJT does or does not do has no bearing, comparison, or relationship to what Amtrak might do and it doesn't belong in this discussion. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back