Midwest flooding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
This morning on 28 I overheard a coach attendant reassure a concerned passenger that the train wouldn't have any problems getting to MSP (her destination) but "might not be able to get into Chicago by rail" on account of flooded tracks. Now, in my experience car attendants are wrong as often as they're right... But is there any truth to this and actual likelihood of significant delays or bustitution around Chicago (on either the Builder or Thursday's outbound Capitol)?

I have been trying to get train status info for the last couple of days but can't get any info at all on the site or via phone. When I call Julie than I get the "due to call overload, our operators are very busy".

Al

Same thins with us, we have reservations on the CNO on the 19th from NOL to CHI. We called twice to speak to an agent to find out if flooding will cancel our trip, but had almost 10 minute waiting times each time we called.

Vacation coming, looking forward with much anticipation, status still pending.

This morning on 28 I overheard a coach attendant reassure a concerned passenger that the train wouldn't have any problems getting to MSP (her destination) but "might not be able to get into Chicago by rail" on account of flooded tracks. Now, in my experience car attendants are wrong as often as they're right... But is there any truth to this and actual likelihood of significant delays or bustitution around Chicago (on either the Builder or Thursday's outbound Capitol)?
I was concerned about train 5 & 6, so I called Julie last night. I was able to talk with a knowlegable Amtrak agent; while it took him some time to find the information, he finally told me that service between CHI and SAC was complete. There is currently a detour around the "Moffat Tunnel" route, so train 5 & 6 are currently running up through Wyoming. No problem between CHI & SAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was concerned about train 5 & 6, so I called Julie last night. I was able to talk with a knowlegable Amtrak agent; while it took him some time to find the information, he finally told me that service between CHI and SAC was complete. There is currently a detour around the "Moffat Tunnel" route, so train 5 & 6 are currently running up through Wyoming. No problem between CHI & SAC.

The Empire Builder (7) hasn't left Chicago for two days, nor has 8 made it to Chicago for two days. We leave next week on 7 for the west coast. Hope it's running. Our first train trip and I don't want it ruined. Going to our daughter's wedding. Would have to drive if the Builder isn't running.

I have been trying to get train status info for the last couple of days but can't get any info at all on the site or via phone. When I call Julie than I get the "due to call overload, our operators are very busy".
Al
When in doubt, ask a conductor! At MSP we will detour onto BNSF tracks and proceed straight to Chicago. All intermediate stations will be served by bus from MSP. At least, that's the current plan. Since we won't get to MSP until 7am Thursday, things could change, of course, and the crew boarding at MSP will be the ones with the authoritative answer. I assume this will affect 7/8 for the next few days.

Still no idea about whether the Capitol will be affected.

Also, random note, there are no Gardenburgers on Amtrak until further notice due to a recall. I don't know if that's tomato-related or what.

I was on #8 yesterday. We detoured out of St. Paul on BNSF tracks on the east side of the Mississippi. Got to CHI non stop at about 7:40 or so . They held the Capital Lt. The Capital had its own problems and was very late into CHI because of a derailment somewhere on route. Bus ride out of St. Paul, to many down line stops.

We were non stop to Chi. A lot of water.

We also lost sleeper # 32057 in Minot ND. because of a flat wheel. Where put in coach. No sleeper space to be had because of sold out train. Very sold out. Some what relieved by the St. Paul busing situation. Food for all pax down line I dont remember where.

I am sure some of you will know more about what track was used. I took notes when I could see a town sign or hiway route #. I will try to figure it out later.

Amtrak always an adventure. I would not have it anyother way.

It sounds like the EB detour was along the old route of the Empire Builder back in the days of the Great Northern. I vaguely remember a trip I took as a five-year-old in 1965 along that route and I remember Prairie Du Chien, WI, and East Dubuque, Savanna, and Aurora, IL, as stops along that route. That route does indeed go along the east side of the Mississippi and then runs across Northern Illinois into Chicago.

It sounds like the EB detour was along the old route of the Empire Builder back in the days of the Great Northern. I vaguely remember a trip I took as a five-year-old in 1965 along that route and I remember Prairie Du Chien, WI, and East Dubuque, Savanna, and Aurora, IL, as stops along that route. That route does indeed go along the east side of the Mississippi and then runs across Northern Illinois into Chicago.
When I've taken the EB to Chicago, I've kind of hoped we would get rerouted on that side of the river just to see that perspective. I think it would be beautiful.

I'm curious what impact this will have on 261 as it is scheduled to head down to Milwaukee next week to operate excursions out of Milwaukee to the WI Dells. I was planning on heading to Red Wing to watch it come through, but I may be out of luck.

Dan

Me, and my mother, and my stepfather are going to ride the empire Builder in two weeks to Seattle.

We did go thru all the towns that JayPea listed. Some roads near the tracks and much of the area was under water. However no danger to the tracks at the time. Many small camping trailers were out along some high spots parked on high ground. The river was high and fast.

Coming to you live from train 28, a detour update!

We just (1:43 pm CDT) entered Illinois, proceeding southbound on the east side of Big Muddy though now weaving in and out of sight of the river. This morning, prior to a half-hour late (roughly) arrival into MSP, the conductor confirmed our detour and told all non-CHI passengers to detrain for bustitution. He also told passengers on Michigan-bound trains and the Cardinal to detrain for a fast bus to Chicago. LSL passengers were told to stay on the train, and anyone with questions was invited to talk to the conductor in the diner. Naturally about ten of us connecting to the Capitol Ltd flocked up there. He said he wasn't explicitly told we had to detrain to bus to our connection ... and said we could stay on-board but it would be tight. So here I am, and hopefully the conductor's word stands as a "guaranteed connection" in case we get held up.

So far we haven't had a single passing siding stop. Slower speeds and more miles, though. And we did stop briefly in the middle of the BNSF yard in La Crosse for a quick crew change (with lots of warnings to passengers not to step off). Maybe we'll make it to CHI by 6? 7? Maybe they'll hold 30 for us? I'm not holding my breath for time enough for a quick run to Giordano's, even if I phone in an order from twenty minutes before our arrival.

The river is REALLY high.

Oh, and the conductor said Amtrak anticipates this detour will be in place for 7-10 days.

Although not a direct Amtrak issue, I saw on the Trains newswire that the 261 excursion down to Milwaukee has now been postponed until August. Evidently the CP line is quite a mess between MSP and Milwaukee.

There's goes my plans... :angry:

An not that I have any good reason to complain. There are a lot of people whose lives are turned upside down to say the least due to all of this flooding. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers...

Dan

We just (1:43 pm CDT) entered Illinois, proceeding southbound on the east side of Big Muddy though now weaving in and out of sight of the river. This morning, prior to a half-hour late (roughly) arrival into MSP, the conductor confirmed our detour and told all non-CHI passengers to detrain for bustitution. He also told passengers on Michigan-bound trains and the Cardinal to detrain for a fast bus to Chicago. LSL passengers were told to stay on the train, and anyone with questions was invited to talk to the conductor in the diner. Naturally about ten of us connecting to the Capitol Ltd flocked up there. He said he wasn't explicitly told we had to detrain to bus to our connection ... and said we could stay on-board but it would be tight. So here I am, and hopefully the conductor's word stands as a "guaranteed connection" in case we get held up.

So far we haven't had a single passing siding stop. Slower speeds and more miles, though. And we did stop briefly in the middle of the BNSF yard in La Crosse for a quick crew change (with lots of warnings to passengers not to step off). Maybe we'll make it to CHI by 6? 7? Maybe they'll hold 30 for us? I'm not holding my breath for time enough for a quick run to Giordano's, even if I phone in an order from twenty minutes before our arrival.

Oh, and the conductor said Amtrak anticipates this detour will be in place for 7-10 days.
7-10 days eh?

I'll be leaving SEA on # 8 on the 19th so I'll be in the MSP area on the 21st. That's 9 days from now so I guess it's "maybe, maybe not" for the chances of the detour for my run. I'll be connecting to the 8:00pm departure of train #59 so hopefully things will work out. If not, oh well. It's all part of the Amtrak experience. :)

Due to flooding:

The California Zephyr is suspended between Chicago and Denver. Alternate train service for Chicago to Illinois stations. Bus service to and from Denver for stations east to Omaha. No alternate transportation to or through Iowa. This will last at least until June 16.

Empire builder is on an alternate rail route in Wisconsin (BNSF). Some missed stops are being served by bus. Also through at least June 16.

Amtrak Notice

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you pass through Naperville last night about 5:30pm? If so, I might have seen your train when my Metra train was headed in the opposite direction.

No, we went through Naperville around 7:45pm (I remember because that was the (accurate) 45 minutes to arrival announcement at which point they closed the sightseer lounge for cleanup prior to arrival.

Due to flooding:
The California Zephyr is suspended between Chicago and Denver. Alternate train service for Chicago to Illinois stations. Bus service to and from Denver for stations east to Omaha. No alternate transportation to or through Iowa. This will last at least until June 16.

Empire builder is on an alternate rail route in Wisconsin (BNSF). Some missed stops are being served by bus. Also through at least June 16.

Amtrak Notice
Sweet. <_<

I called Julie this morning, and it appears that I have no options other than to cancel the trip with Amtrak. There's no way to use Amtrak to get from ROC to SAC on the dates we need. Delaying the trip a couple of days was no good, as all seats on the later trains were booked full.

In a hurry, today we elected to fly from ROC to SAC (or SMF, as the airline calls it). Interestingly, the round trip ticket on US AIR for the two of us is half the price of the round trip train ticket for the two of us, although we both think that that the train would have been a lot more fun. :D

Mother Nature just didn't seem to be in a cooperative mood on this Friday the 13th. <_<

Sweet. <_< I called Julie this morning, and it appears that I have no options other than to cancel the trip with Amtrak. There's no way to use Amtrak to get from ROC to SAC on the dates we need. Delaying the trip a couple of days was no good, as all seats on the later trains were booked full.

In a hurry, today we elected to fly from ROC to SAC (or SMF, as the airline calls it). Interestingly, the round trip ticket on US AIR for the two of us is half the price of the round trip train ticket for the two of us, although we both think that that the train would have been a lot more fun. :D

Mother Nature just didn't seem to be in a cooperative mood on this Friday the 13th. <_<
Sorry to hear that. That is the nightmare scenario for me. I consider the traveling as part of the vacation. Air travel is definitely not. We are on the SWC and LSL next week. So far so good for those two trains, however, then seem to come awful close to all this flooding.

I'm supposed to take the EB from Spokane to Seattle on the 18th. I see the EB hasn't run at all the last couple of days. I'm supposed to go from Spokane on the EB, Seattle-Eugene and Eugene-Portland on the Cascades and Portland-Spokane on the EB. There are many ways to get from Spokane to Seattle other than by Amtrak, but taking the train is much more fun. Hopefully they'll be up and running by next week.

Sweet. <_< I called Julie this morning, and it appears that I have no options other than to cancel the trip with Amtrak. There's no way to use Amtrak to get from ROC to SAC on the dates we need. Delaying the trip a couple of days was no good, as all seats on the later trains were booked full.

Sorry to hear that. That is the nightmare scenario for me. I consider the traveling as part of the vacation. Air travel is definitely not. We are on the SWC and LSL next week. So far so good for those two trains, however, then seem to come awful close to all this flooding.
Please continue your travel info!!!

I'm supposed to take the EB from Spokane to Seattle on the 18th. I see the EB hasn't run at all the last couple of days. I'm supposed to go from Spokane on the EB, Seattle-Eugene and Eugene-Portland on the Cascades and Portland-Spokane on the EB. There are many ways to get from Spokane to Seattle other than by Amtrak, but taking the train is much more fun. Hopefully they'll be up and running by next week.
The EB has been running for the past few days, it's just taking a detour route between MSP and CHI. But that messes up the computers, which then report a service disruption. But member Wayman just came off a detoured EB, as noted in another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back