Midwest flooding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Amtrak this morning,(Very friendly gal on the phone) and to see if anything was going from Winona MN (WIN) on down to Chicago(CHI), and she said no. I asked if I should hold my ticket till Thursday and cancel if I have to, she said yes, and thing can change between now and Friday..

I hope things do change, I got a quick figure for flying, and would be about $500 for one, and I am not paying that much! I'll drive down.

Due to flooding: The California Zephyr is suspended between Chicago and Denver.
I was on the last Train through the flooded area... the Des Moines River at Ottumwa. We passed through on the evening of Thursday, June 12th, with extreme thunderstorm activity all around us, all rivers over their banks, and lots of fields under standing water. The train advanced stop-and-go in contact with the Dispatchers who were watching their Weather Radar. The idea was to pass between the worst cells of the Storm as they drifted by around us. Also, a Tornado Watch was in effect.

Since that time, the tracks were evidently under water. A couple of RailRoad Bridges further north collapsed or washed away in the Flood. The UP mainline through Iowa has suffered extensive damage, and the BNSF line has been closed waiting for the Floodwaters to recede.

Other than that, we had a fine trip.

my friend is on the chief headed to chicago right now. they were stopped for a little over an hour south of fort madison. when they started moving again, they were told they'd be moving very slowly through galesburg, where connecting passengers would board a bus and head to chicago via toledo (!) to make their connections. this was all relayed second hand, so not sure if that's exactly what was said.

I'm scheduled to take the Lake Shore Limited from NYP - CHI on 6/28 and the Empire Builder from CHI - East Glacier Park, Montana on 6/29. I'm going to assume that the route (or a detour) will be open by then as it's 1 week, 6 days from now but assuming not, what would Amtrak tell me when I get to Chicago? Would I be bus-stituted, or flown to Montana? I can't imagine being on a bus for more than 24 hours so I hope thats not an option.

Thanks in advance.

I'm scheduled to take the Lake Shore Limited from NYP - CHI on 6/28 and the Empire Builder from CHI - East Glacier Park, Montana on 6/29. I'm going to assume that the route (or a detour) will be open by then as it's 1 week, 6 days from now but assuming not, what would Amtrak tell me when I get to Chicago? Would I be bus-stituted, or flown to Montana? I can't imagine being on a bus for more than 24 hours so I hope thats not an option.
Thanks in advance.
In your case if the tracks haven't been reopened by then, you'd most likely get bussed from Chicago to Minniapolis where you would then board the train again.

The water in that area is already receding, so I'd guess that within a day or two all the tracks will once again be above water. Then the question becomes, how much damage was done and how quickly can it be repaired? But I would think that by Thursday or Friday of this week, that they'll probably have a pretty good estimate as to when the line will reopen.

my friend is on the chief headed to chicago right now. they were stopped for a little over an hour south of fort madison. when they started moving again, they were told they'd be moving very slowly through galesburg, where connecting passengers would board a bus and head to chicago via toledo (!) to make their connections. this was all relayed second hand, so not sure if that's exactly what was said.
CRUD! I am on the SWC(4) on Wednesday-Thursday. We will connect to the LSL. Hoping this does not happen to us.

Let us know if you here anything else on this.

CRUD! I am on the SWC(4) on Wednesday-Thursday. We will connect to the LSL. Hoping this does not happen to us.
Two updates from BNSF on 6/16:

Although our Transcon main line remains open at Fort Madison, Iowa, trains through that area are experiencing some delay as we raise our main line tracks to keep them above water. The river is expected to crest at Fort Madison late Tuesday, June 17.
Freight moving through Ft. Madison, IA is slow but continuing to move. We are building interchange trains outside Ft. Madison to keep the fluidity of this line. We have worked through the weekend to maintain the track structure in order to continue routing trains through this area. The water in this area is now expected to crest late Tuesday night. As we move closer more updates will follow.
So it sure sounds like BNSF is doing everything that they possible can to keep this line open, which is the line that the Chief uses. Tomorrow will be the critical day, if they can stay above the water, then everything should be fine. If they loose the battle, then unless there is a major problem like loosing a bridge, odds are that it shouldn't take too long for them to get right back into action. It may be close for you Printman, but the odds look to be in your favor that you'll get through.

So Alan B......when should I begin to panic? :lol: Taking the Ann Rutledge to StL and then taking the Lincoln Service looks to be our best bet possibly. I asked Brenda if she could get 1 more day off and she said she would "try" and then we would have to overnight it in CHI on Tuesday June 24th. I personally would like to do the SWC, but its sold out but still has sleeping accomodations available. I'm hoping things are beginning to recede in Iowa and surrounding states and that folks can try and remake shattered lives from all of this flooding. I've always tried to say to myself...."is this a problem or an inconvience?!?" This to me is an inconvience, I just want my trip to go as smoothly as possible. The folks with the "problem" is all in the flooded states.

Hang in there, Al. No one wants to get the lines open more than the railroads. When trains don't move, they don't make money, and they hate that. They can and often do perform miracles to get things open. Since you have about a week before you leave, I would bet that things will be moving by then unless some structural or major signal and communications problems occurred. Water over the tracks leaves some mud and fouled switches, but with some clean-up, the trains can run. All you you can do is sit tight and wait.

John Steinbeck once wrote that in travel, "you don't take a trip, the trip takes you." Very true. I've had a lot of trips that took me, and some of those were the most fun. If I were a betting person, I would give you about an 80% chance of getting east next week.

Good luck. I'll be watching.

One of my Internet Rail Photo fans sent me this LINK with lots of pictures from Iowa flooding along the BNSF lines near Ottumwa.

PRR 60....thanks for those kind words. The bottom line is that I want this trip to go well for the gals. (Brenda and especially her two youngest kids that are riding with us) I have turned them on to rail travel and Brenda loves it and her youngest daughter is so into politics so she has really began to learn how underfunded and messed up our whole transportation grid is in the US. Throw in that her two girls (and her older sons) treat me with so much respect, I just want it to go well. One daughter "can't wait" for NYC and one daughter is so excited for DC. For a person like me who preaches Amtrak, evangelizes about rail travel, I just don't want to have egg on my face next Wednesday as we climb aboard buses, travel in canoes, hitchhike and run into Steve Martin and John Candy on our way to Chicago. (Planes Trains and Automobiles) I guess I want this thing to go like the trip on "Silver Streak" just minus all the shooting! :lol: Again I repeat, my heart and prayers go out to all the folks that won't be having a summer vacation this summer or in years to come due to being horsed around by this flood and insurance companies etc. They are losing things that can't be replaced such as lives and momentos and homes, my pride can be replaced and rather quickly!

Al

Two updates from BNSF on 6/16:

Although our Transcon main line remains open at Fort Madison, Iowa, trains through that area are experiencing some delay as we raise our main line tracks to keep them above water. The river is expected to crest at Fort Madison late Tuesday, June 17.
Freight moving through Ft. Madison, IA is slow but continuing to move. We are building interchange trains outside Ft. Madison to keep the fluidity of this line. We have worked through the weekend to maintain the track structure in order to continue routing trains through this area. The water in this area is now expected to crest late Tuesday night. As we move closer more updates will follow.
So it sure sounds like BNSF is doing everything that they possible can to keep this line open, which is the line that the Chief uses. Tomorrow will be the critical day, if they can stay above the water, then everything should be fine. If they loose the battle, then unless there is a major problem like loosing a bridge, odds are that it shouldn't take too long for them to get right back into action. It may be close for you Printman, but the odds look to be in your favor that you'll get through.
Thanks for the info, Alan. Where did you get those BNSF updates?

Just called Amtrak. They show todays #4 terminating in Kansas City with bus service to Chicago. She said they also exect this to happen for several days. Looks as if we might be getting a bus ride.

Since we are in sleeper, will they refund us any money? What about meals, will they provide them?

The only fortunate thing about this is we will at least get our overnight on the train in sleeper.

Doggonit!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1178294175835

Service Alert: Southwest Chief, California Zephyr & Empire Builder — Midwest Flooding Disrupts Service
June 17, 2008

8:30 am CDT

Amtrak service is disrupted at Fort Madison and Burlington, Iowa, and south of St. Paul, Minn., due to flooding on the Mississippi River and its tributaries.

Affected are the Amtrak Southwest Chief route between Los Angeles and Chicago, via Kansas City; Amtrak California Zephyr route between the San Francisco Bay and Chicago, via Denver and Omaha; and the Amtrak Empire Builder route between Seattle/Portland and Chicago, via St. Paul.

In addition to closing railroad routes and stations, flooded highways are making the provision of alternate transportation by chartered motorcoach impossible in some cases.

Passengers are urged to call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL if they have travel plans on the three routes below, through June 20. Those passengers with telephone contact information in their reservations are being called by Amtrak and offered options including future travel dates.

Southwest Chief, Trains 3 & 4

Service by the Southwest Chief between Kansas City and Chicago is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the BNSF Railway route in Iowa, effective June 17.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between Kansas City and Chicago, with the exceptions of La Plata, Mo., Fort Madison, Iowa, and Mendota and Naperville, Ill. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations in Illinois.

California Zephyr, Trains 5 & 6

Service by the California Zephyr between Chicago and Denver is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the BNSF Railway route in Iowa, effective June 13.

Alternate transportation will be provided between Denver and points in Nebraska, including Omaha, by chartered motorcoaches. No alternate transportation is available to or from points in Iowa. Alternate transportation between Chicago and other points in Illinois will be provided by other Amtrak trains.

Empire Builder, Trains 7/27/807 & 8/28/808

Service by the Empire Builder between St. Paul and Chicago is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the Canadian Pacific Railway route in Wisconsin, effective June 10, and the closing of a detour route on the BNSF Railway, effective June 15.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoach will be provided between St. Paul and Chicago, with the exceptions of Portage, Columbus and Milwaukee, Wisc., and Glenview, Ill. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations. Amtrak Hiawatha Service trains are available as alternate transportation to and from Glenview and Milwaukee.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Okay, just looked again and they have changed the SWC part...

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between Kansas City and Galesburg, with the exceptions of La Plata, Mo., and Fort Madison. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations in Illinois.
Is says alternate transportation between Kansas City and GALESBURG, not Chicago. You think this means the train is going on to Chicago but on an alternate route?

John Steinbeck once wrote that in travel, "you don't take a trip, the trip takes you."
Heh heh...sounds like a Yakov Smirnoff joke. "On Amtrak, you don't take the trip...trip takes YOU!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between Kansas City and Galesburg, with the exceptions of La Plata, Mo., and Fort Madison. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations in Illinois.
Is says alternate transportation between Kansas City and GALESBURG, not Chicago. You think this means the train is going on to Chicago but on an alternate route?
I heard from another board it is busing from KC to Galesburg and a stub train from Galesburg to Chicago.

I was looking at the train schedule this morning, and it was showing activities this morning from WIN to CHI. I called

Amtrak and she said yes, the train is running for now... They said I still should not hold hope if something changes again, and call again Thur. to be sure the train is running for my Friday's trip.

I heard from another board it is busing from KC to Galesburg and a stub train from Galesburg to Chicago.
They probably expect the passengers to then wait for the Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandberg trains to take them to Chicago, but I don't know how there will be room for everyone

:unsure: Taking CZ from Omaha to Glenwood Springs July 3 to 7. I know there are no crystal balls out there but anyone have a gutt feeling on how things will be by then. Right now I would have to bus from Omaha to Denver and take the train from there. I assume it is not cost effective to run the train further east. It seems to me anything East of Des Moines would be fine. I feel cheated, I paid to take the train, certainly not the bus. Seems to me they owe there faithfull travelers the right that if they can get here they should. But then again if they were making money it would not be an issue. Here's to hoping things improve and full service will return. Let us not forget all of those poor people over there who have far more to worry about than whether or not they can catch a train.

I was looking at the train schedule this morning, and it was showing activities this morning from WIN to CHI. I called
Amtrak and she said yes, the train is running for now... They said I still should not hold hope if something changes again, and call again Thur. to be sure the train is running for my Friday's trip.
Ok, guess may not be taking the train, they said they got busses running, and I am tempted just to drive down, not really looking forward for that. In 24 hours I will find out for sure.

A railfan photographer friend sent me this picture and gave his permission for me to post it here. It will give you some idea of what is going on. This is the last BNSF out of Ottumwa, Iowa a few days ago.

Flood-1a.jpg

He said it took about an hour for this one to go 1/2 mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back