why do they blow the horn so much

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cranky person. Picture me yelling, "Get off my lawn!" That's a curmudgeon. :)

Annnnnnd, we're officially way off-topic. Sorry, mods.

I have a good idea to keep down the noise on Amtrak, the horns won't be eliminated, but cell-phone usage will be totally banned from 10 PM to 6 AM except in Sleeper rooms given that the door is shut. Any music and audio devices must be used with headphones at all times. Disruptive shouting, yelling, and loud vulgar speech would also be prohibited at all times.

Violators would be put off the train at the next stop with no refund or compensation whatsoever. Extreme violators would face arrest, prosecution, and a fine.

That ought to deal with any excessive noise issues.
I do think it would be nice to have quiet cars on additional trains, like they do on the NEC.

I was sitting in the quiet car on a regional recently and there was a college girl that started talking on her cell phone. Everyone around started looking around at each other and rolling their eyes. Finally someone tapped her and let her know that she was in the quiet car and she looked sheepish and left the car. I almost clapped afterward!

In any case, the quiet car is an amazing invention. I love it.

I have a good idea to keep down the noise on Amtrak, the horns won't be eliminated, but cell-phone usage will be totally banned from 10 PM to 6 AM except in Sleeper rooms given that the door is shut. Any music and audio devices must be used with headphones at all times. Disruptive shouting, yelling, and loud vulgar speech would also be prohibited at all times.

Violators would be put off the train at the next stop with no refund or compensation whatsoever. Extreme violators would face arrest, prosecution, and a fine.

I would exempt the lounge car from the cell-phone usage rule. Part of the purpose, IMO, of that area is to be an area where people can talk and converse and not disturb their seat neighbors. Calling someone on a cell phone in the lounge car should be acceptable at all times, in my opinion.

I do think it would be nice to have quiet cars on additional trains, like they do on the NEC.
I was sitting in the quiet car on a regional recently and there was a college girl that started talking on her cell phone. Everyone around started looking around at each other and rolling their eyes. Finally someone tapped her and let her know that she was in the quiet car and she looked sheepish and left the car. I almost clapped afterward!

In her defense she may not have known she was in a quiet, which is probably why she got up & left the car. If she knew she was in the quiet car, she probably would have given you guys dirty looks & stayed in her seat.I've gotten on the quiet car on Septa and not noticed till I was half way to my destination that I was in a quiet car (but I was quiet anyway because I didn't have anyone to talk to).

In her defense she may not have known she was in a quiet, which is probably why she got up & left the car. If she knew she was in the quiet car, she probably would have given you guys dirty looks & stayed in her seat.I've gotten on the quiet car on Septa and not noticed till I was half way to my destination that I was in a quiet car (but I was quiet anyway because I didn't have anyone to talk to).
Oh yeah, I don't think she realized she was in the quiet car - despite the signs hanging from the ceiling and the repeated announcements from conductors....she was kind of in her own little world.

Well, I don't notice signs hanging from the ceiling when I'm concentrating on looking for a seat. And as to the announcements, I cannot always understand them, even with my power hearing aids.

I would exempt the lounge car from the cell-phone usage rule. Part of the purpose, IMO, of that area is to be an area where people can talk and converse and not disturb their seat neighbors. Calling someone on a cell phone in the lounge car should be acceptable at all times, in my opinion.
OK, it probably wouldn't be a problem to let people make noise in the lounge at night. But I still believe Amtrak is not cracking down hard enough on disruptions. If you're yelling expletives into your cell phone at 2 AM, you should ge put off ASAP, and with no refund at all. Amtrak needs to Punish those who severly disrupt other passengers.

Oh yeah, I don't think she realized she was in the quiet car - despite the signs hanging from the ceiling and the repeated announcements from conductors....she was kind of in her own little world.
Typical unobservant travellers. People who don't pay attention are usually people who are judgemental whiners. Too many people eat things without checking the expiration date or checking the ingrediants.

OK, it probably wouldn't be a problem to let people make noise in the lounge at night. But I still believe Amtrak is not cracking down hard enough on disruptions. If you're yelling expletives into your cell phone at 2 AM, you should ge put off ASAP, and with no refund at all. Amtrak needs to Punish those who severly disrupt other passengers.

Typical unobservant travellers. People who don't pay attention are usually people who are judgemental whiners. Too many people eat things without checking the expiration date or checking the ingrediants.
Excuse me? When I'm getting on a train (or bus) I'm looking for a seat. I may "look around" after I find a seat, or I may not. And what the heck does eating things have to do with the this?

Excuse me? When I'm getting on a train (or bus) I'm looking for a seat. I may "look around" after I find a seat, or I may not. And what the heck does eating things have to do with the this?
I'm not saying anything against you, I'm just angry at people causing problems on the train.

Complain to yourself for moving in next to the railroad tracks.
Good answer, did you put much thought into it ? The horn noise has increased over the last year. Id like to find out why .... There doesn't seem to be accountability when it comes to train whistles..

Good answer, did you put much thought into it ? The horn noise has increased over the last year. Id like to find out why .... There doesn't seem to be accountability when it comes to train whistles..
The horn is only blown if there is a reason. Road crossings, railway workers in a work area and passing stations.

Because there are more trains (or more road crossings, or work going on I suppose). As Hal said above, they have to blow the horn in certain situations.

Excessive Horn Blowing in area that is protected by miles upon miles of high fencing closing off RR crossings continue to blare their horns. The stretch of rail from Aberdeen MD to Bush River RR crossing is protected by fencing and no vehicles can cross over crossing since the fast trains began decades ago.please stop blowing train horns through this residential area along tracks.

Excessive Horn Blowing in area that is protected by miles upon miles of high fencing closing off RR crossings continue to blare their horns. The stretch of rail from Aberdeen MD to Bush River RR crossing is protected by fencing and no vehicles can cross over crossing since the fast trains began decades ago.please stop blowing train horns through this residential area along tracks.
There is a well-defined procedure for establishing a "quiet zone" where the local people who don't like the noise can have their nearby crossing exempted from the whistle warning rule. The neighborhood that wants inattentive drivers to die can upgrade the nearby crossing with clearly specified protections, but it costs money. If the crossing meets the rules, then the trains see a "quiet zone" and don't whistle for the crossing, unless the train drive sees an immediate danger.

There is a well-defined procedure for establishing a "quiet zone" where the local people who don't like the noise can have their nearby crossing exempted from the whistle warning rule. The neighborhood that wants inattentive drivers to die can upgrade the nearby crossing with clearly specified protections, but it costs money. If the crossing meets the rules, then the trains see a "quiet zone" and don't whistle for the crossing, unless the train drive sees an immediate danger.
S/he said there's no grade crossing on this section of the NEC (just like in DE). The horn blowing might be because of pedestrian trespassers or workers on/near the tracks.Also, it could be freight trains blowing their horns, not Amtrak trains.

There are many quiet zones where I live. Most of the time they work as intended but sometimes a given train will come through and just keep blowing their horn at every crossing. I'm not sure why they do that. If it was active maintenance then wouldn't every train passing through that area be blowing the horn? If it was a tresspasser then why would they need to keep blowing the horn all along the route? I can't help but wonder if the engineer is either forgetting or they just don't care and feel like blowing the horn anyway.

I have a friend that just bought a new house, his back yard backs up to the tracks/ROW for the MBTA commuter rail. The two crossings closest to him are "quiet zones" and there are signs at the crossing that say that the train will not blow the horn. My friend has confirmed that he doesn't hear the whistle/horn at the grade crossing.

So yeah. If you don't want to hear the horn than petition and pay for the improvements to the crossing for a quiet zone.

Here in So Cal, in preparation for the Bullet Train (Hopefully), many of the former at grade crossings have been removed. Now cars go under the railroad bridge. This has eliminated much of the horn blowing that they used to have to do when approaching the at grad crossings. I noticed that when the Sunset Limited was in LA the horn was pretty much constantly blowing the whole way to NOLA. Not sure what area it was, but towards the end of the trip, there was a long stretch where the railroad ran between the a major street with at grade crossings every block or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is certainly freight trains. As has been said earlier in this thread, I am sure, there are very specific federal requirements for horn blowing, location, volume, and circumstances. These would be the minimums. There are frequently circumstances where additional horn blowing is either required or considered a good idea by the people on the train. As to this "residential area" issue: No one forced these people to build or buy a house that was near a railroad track. Get over it and quit trying to get someone else to pay to fix self inflicted problems that are more preception than reality anyway.

I'm not sure whether to be more amused by the guest poster who thinks that posting here will get trains to stop using the horn, or the commenters replying that don't realize that they're talking about a section of the NEC with no grade crossings. :)

The horns are being blown because there are Railway Workers doing track work in that area during the day. Blowing the horn is required.

If it bothers you I suggest looking for a new residence. That is when the track work, that just started is scheduled for completion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back