why do they blow the horn so much

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I'll now return you to the endless mocking of anyone who dares to mention undesirable sights, sounds, or smells in their neighborhood. Let them eat cake and all that.
Oh, please. If someone moves next to a railroad crossing, airport, hospital, police station, or major street, they should be darn well prepared to hear some noise. We aren't mocking them; we're pointing out their flawed accusations.
I live two blocks from a hospital. However, this hospital is smack in the middle of a residental neighborhood and the ambulances are not supposed to use sirens while in the neighborhood. I made sure to research this and understand it before I purchased my home last year.

Now, if they decide to change the policy regarding ambulances, you can certainly bet that I will complain if I start hearing sirens at 2 am. However there is a very active neighborhood association and the hospital is very good about neighborhood relations, so I doubt it would change.

But it would be like if you bought a house next to tracks in a quiet zone. If the quiet zone was somehow removed, would you have a right to be annoyed? Probably.
Oh, I agree with that, Amamba. I'm talking about situations where those rules aren't in effect already. I'd certainly agree that removing a Quiet Zone would be bad for the buyers. :) I also think it's totally okay to petition for a Quiet Zone. I just find it odd that people are surprised that the trains make noise when they move near train tracks, that's all. I'm not trying to be insulting. It's just... strange to me, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see the reason for the venom launched toward someone who wants to improve their quality of life. It is like they should not even have the right to question horn use. The railroad has been there for 100 years? So what? If, in 2013, there is a better way of protecting crossings that does not involve horn use, why not ask for it?
Because said person will then cause private entity and/or public use of taxpayers money to subsidize the value of the home that they probably paid a reduced price for precisely for that reason.

That being said, All Aboard Florida is about to build several dozen miles of new track. They may be able to do so without any grade crossings, but there may certainly be some. Do folks near them have the right to complain?

Anyone has a right to complain. For something to actually be done about it is a completely different issue.

I fail to see the reason for the venom launched toward someone who wants to improve their quality of life. It is like they should not even have the right to question horn use. The railroad has been there for 100 years? So what? If, in 2013, there is a better way of protecting crossings that does not involve horn use, why not ask for it?
Sure if the person complaining does not care about having to pay much more for taxes to cover the improvements and to cover the damage that would be caused if the train did not blow its horn to warn that they are coming thru a crossing.

I know exactly what Ryan is talking about when it comes to rural areas. I live in a rural area, and there have been so many complaints by people who move out of the city that want to enjoy a "rural" lifestyle, but then complain about every aspect of rural life, that brochures put out by our county for newcomers mention those things. Such as odors from manure and farm implements. Noises from farm animals and farm implements. Dust. Unpaved roads. Longer response times from emergency personnel. Low-flying aircraft I.E crop dusters. If it were me I'd do a little research about the area I'm moving into. After all, I doubt that cows, horses, sheep, pigs, chickens, with the occasional goat or mule thrown in are going to observe quiet zone restrictions. ;)

VentureForth said:
Because said person will then cause private entity and/or public use of taxpayers money to subsidize the value of the home that they probably paid a reduced price for precisely for that reason.
Removing the sound of a train horn isn't going to cause the fundamental value of a house near the tracks to skyrocket. At best they might get some more sleep at night. Or during the day if they work the night shift. Which might result in a more productive worker over time, but that's about the extent of their direct monetary gain.

Oh, I agree with that, Amamba.
The real question is if you agree with the folks who took it upon themselves to push the hospital to quiet down in the first place.

I also think it's totally okay to petition for a Quiet Zone. I just find it odd that people are surprised that the trains make noise when they move near train tracks, that's all. I'm not trying to be insulting. It's just... strange to me, that's all.
Oh please, indeed.

Go back and read your own posts.

Then tell me where you see the indifferent 'live and let live' attitude.

This isn't an insurance call so feel free to drop the faux compassion anytime.

I also think it's totally okay to petition for a Quiet Zone. I just find it odd that people are surprised that the trains make noise when they move near train tracks, that's all. I'm not trying to be insulting. It's just... strange to me, that's all.
Oh please, indeed.Go back and read your own posts.Then tell me where you see the indifferent 'live and let live' attitude.This isn't an insurance call so feel free to drop the faux compassion anytime.
That's a pretty mean thing to say to one of the most level-headed clear thinking people on this forum.

Oh please, indeed.Go back and read your own posts.Then tell me where you see the indifferent 'live and let live' attitude.This isn't an insurance call so feel free to drop the faux compassion anytime.
That's a pretty mean thing to say to one of the most level-headed clear thinking people on this forum.
**LIKE**

The real question is if you agree with the folks who took it upon themselves to push the hospital to quiet down in the first place.
Well the hospital was initially founded in 1926 with only a few beds, and its current iteration with the ER opened in 1952.

Most of the houses in my neighborhood were built between 1900-1930.

So the houses are older than the hospital....

**LIKE**
Me too. That was just plain snarky. Please cool you jets.

Back to the original topic, to my understanding the original purpose of the train horn was safety. If the goal of safe operation can be sufficiently maintained through means other than a horn then what is fundamentally wrong with requesting or supporting such changes?
Absolutely nothing.
Complaining that "nobody is around to get hit so why can't they just break the rules and not blow the horn" isn't doing that.

This isn't an insurance call so feel free to drop the faux compassion anytime.
It isn't faux compassion, and neither is the compassion I show at work. That comment was completely unnecessary and unfounded.

Disagreeing with me on a forum is one thing. Using a completely unrelated thing (like how I do my job) to insult me during a debate that has nothing to do with my job is an automatic "loss" for you and shows you're nothing but a troll.

If you wish to insult me or my work performance further, you may send me a private message.

Yes, I do. As I said, "I think it's okay to petition for a Quiet Zone."

It is possible to change one's mind over the course of a few weeks. That's why people debate a topic, yes?

Are you mad that I changed my mind, or are you mad that you can't pick apart my arguments anymore and have to resort to petty insults? Perhaps both?

The posts were not "deleted" but just hidden from view. We (the entire staff, not just me) do not want this (or any other) thread to turn into a "He said, She said" thing, so we ask all members and guests to please keep with the topic of the thread or at the very least to be kind to other members and/or guests of AU. Thank you!

The posts were not "deleted" but just hidden from view. We (the entire staff, not just me) do not want this (or any other) thread to turn into a "He said, She said" thing, so we ask all members and guests to please keep with the topic of the thread or at the very least to be kind to other members and/or guests of AU. Thank you!
Where in the forum rules does forced kindness show up? My response was severely critical but still civil, which is all the rules demanded last I checked. If you didn't want to see any more debate then you could have deleted hidden the posts that quoted and questioned my motives and were directed at me. Instead you waited until I replied to those inquires and only deleted hid my reply while leaving the inquiries untouched. If neutral by-the-book moderating is your goal then you seem to have missed a step somewhere along the way.

Where in the forum rules does forced kindness show up?
No place.

My response was severely critical but still civil, which is all the rules demanded last I checked.
But the rules do mention no personal attacks. And bringing her job into things the way you did IMHO is a personal attack. So much so that I almost deleted that from your post when I saw it yesterday. However, several others had already quoted it and admonished you, so I decided to leave things alone at that point in the hope that you would get the point.

If you didn't want to see any more debate then you could have deleted hidden the posts that quoted and questioned my motives and were directed at me. Instead you waited until I replied to those inquires and only deleted hid my reply while leaving the inquiries untouched.
Your's were not the only posts hidden or deleted. Several others were, including one by Sarah.

If neutral by-the-book moderating is your goal then you seem to have missed a step somewhere along the way.
Please remember that moderating around here is a group effort. Dave just happened to be the one who responded publicly to you. But actions were taken by other staff members in this thread and there has been discussion about this topic within our special moderators forum.

Please, posters, mods, most of us on here are looking for information on Amtrak trains -- once in while there's gonna be a squabble - but please cool it - please.

I like and respect the posters and mods involved -- all have contributed lots of good info for a long time - and I expect more good postings from all in the future.

But this "he said" - "she said" has to stop. I don't care if this whole thread is deleted.

And I expect lots of good postings from everyone in the future. Thanks.

I have a good idea to keep down the noise on Amtrak, the horns won't be eliminated, but cell-phone usage will be totally banned from 10 PM to 6 AM except in Sleeper rooms given that the door is shut. Any music and audio devices must be used with headphones at all times. Disruptive shouting, yelling, and loud vulgar speech would also be prohibited at all times.

Violators would be put off the train at the next stop with no refund or compensation whatsoever. Extreme violators would face arrest, prosecution, and a fine.

That ought to deal with any excessive noise issues.

I can hear cell phone conversations through the roomette wall. They aren't as thick as people think. :( Still better than having it right in my ear, though.

I can hear cell phone conversations through the roomette wall. They aren't as thick as people think. :( Still better than having it right in my ear, though.
I've sat in my Roomette seat and I've heard converstions between two people in the neighbouring roomette right behind me. But if you prohibit cell phone use in a "private" Sleeper room, lots of people would get mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back