What have I signed myself up for?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, speaking of the price increases!

Go to UndercoverTourist.com. They are an authorized Disney reseller, and they have some (a few) tickets left over from before the price increase. If you are serious about going later this year or early next year, go ahead and buy your multi-day parkhopper passes now.

If you like the Buzz Lightyear target ride, it is over in DL - where you'd expect to ride that silly Stitch escape ride - formerly Mission To Mars (and the moon in the 80's). Also, you will find that where the Monsters Laugh Stage (previously TImekeeper, Monsanto Circle Theater) is where the Star Wars 3D ride is. It is really cool if you are familiar with the MK at WDW, because you will walk up to some ride expecting it to be here, and it isn't!

The first time I went to a Disney Property was in 1980. I was on my first liberty (day off) from Boot Camp, and I was amazed. Being raised a poor kid, we never took a vacation while I was at home. That place truly was magic to a 17 year old county boy. When I returned to Orlando (for Naval Nuclear Power School) I went to WDW as often as I could afford - which (sadly) was only about twice more before I transferred. I remember them building the Space Ship Earth geodesic Dome in Epcot. It could be vaguely seen from the now missing cable cars. I also got to visit DL in 1981 while stationed in San Diego for a welding school. That was also great!

Anyway - keeping it on topic - you will find a neat little surprise on the Disneyland version of their railroad. It's near the end, and I won't spoil it for you. Also, (keeping on trains) - rolling stock - important notice! If you get to the park at opening, make a beeline for the train station and talk to one of the attendants there. If they are running the Lilly Belle, sign up for a ride on it. The reservation list fills up very quickly. It is a parlor car ride not to be missed.

Now derailed again - hey, my spellchecker is now working. While I type! Hallelujah!

Oh DryCreek - I absolutely will try to get on the LIlly Belle. How fun!!! Thanks for the tip and I'll look for that surprise you mentioned. Fun!!

Oh DryCreek - I absolutely will try to get on the LIlly Belle. How fun!!! Thanks for the tip and I'll look for that surprise you mentioned. Fun!!
And, while you're there, don't forget Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. My son was so disappointed when they closed that ride down at WDW. He hasn't been to DL since he was three, but he wants to go back just for that ride. He remembers us letting him "drive" at WDW when he was younger. We last visited DL in 2009, and our son immediately saw the pictures of us posing in one of the MTWR cars parked out front. He is even more determined to get there now.

The monorail there is more of an attraction than an actual transportation mode. It only goes back and forth to the center of Downtown Disney. It no longer stops right at the entrance to the Disneyland Hotel. What a sad ending for a mode of mass transit that was supposed to begin a new era in urban transportation.

One more tip - since you will have only one day (and not likely buy a park hopper pass) you may be able to catch a showing of World Of Color from one of the balconies in the Grand Californian (think of an even more upscale cross between the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge). You can stroll right into the hotel and take an elevator to one of the higher floors, then go towards the park side of the hallway. Over 2/3's of that hotel are actually within the California Adventure park!

Thanks again, Dry Creek. I'll sneak into the Grand Californian to check out the World of Color if I can. Thanks again for the tip!

I leave the day after tomorrow. Oh my word, I am so excited! When I would have trips that required traveling by air, at this point before the trip I'd be nauseated and taking pepto so I wouldn't be throwing up. Now? I just can't WAIT to go!! I'm a little nervous, but I'd call that "normal" nervousness because it's something new and exciting.

I'm all packed too. Laundry is all done. House is clean. Tomorrow I am making sure the fridge and freezer are both packed for the husband and kids, and then we have parents' night for basketball, but other than that, I've got nothing to do! I've NEVER been ready for a trip this early. I'm that excited to go.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks so much!!

LOL! I agree with your assessment of EPCOT food, but seriously, I love Mexico. Just love it. My picky kids even ate there, so that could be why too. But I'm also not a food connoisseur. A glamourous night out for us is pizza and beer. :D :D :D

I hope you don't have too much of a mess cleaning up your head explosion. ;)
I agree with everyone. The food is meh, but what I liked about the Mexican pavillion restaurant is the atmosphere. The dark waterfront as guests pass by on the attraction boat, smelling the food they are about to bring you.

Which brings me to this: I recommend you try to get a seat at lunch at the Blue Bayou cafe in New Orleans square at DL. It has the most incredible atmosphere of any restaurant at the park in my opinion. It is an atmosphere that was replicated in Tokyo and Paris, but sadly not Orlando.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! I agree with your assessment of EPCOT food, but seriously, I love Mexico. Just love it. My picky kids even ate there, so that could be why too. But I'm also not a food connoisseur. A glamourous night out for us is pizza and beer. :D :D :D

I agree with everyone. The food is meh, but what I liked about the Mexican pavillion restaurant is the atmosphere. The dark waterfront as guests pass by on the attraction boat, smelling the food they are about to bring you.

Which brings me to this: I recommend you try to get a seat at lunch at the Blue Bayou cafe in New Orleans square at DL. It has the most incredible atmosphere of any restaurant the paul on my opinion. It is an atmosphere that was replicated in Tokyo and Paris, but sadly not Orlando.
Isn't this the one where the boats for Pirates of the Caribbean pass by the diners? :)

Be sure to be in the lounge car when you leave Trinidad, Colorado. You'll probably want to spend most of the day there as you creep upgrade to go over Raton Pass and enter New Mexico. Then you'll follow the original Santa Fe Trail through beautiful scenery, high plains, Apache Canyon, and eventually Albuquerque. During the Civil War, I believe the most westerly battle was fought in Apache Canyon! I believe you'll pick up a National Park Service tour guide in Albuquerque, who tells about the history of the area and the various Native American tribes (unless the bean counters in Washington have cut that out too). Try to do that on the return trip too, especially if there's a different guide. It seems that no two guides have exactly the same program.

Most important of all, HAVE FUN.

Tom

Which brings me to this: I recommend you try to get a seat at lunch at the Blue Bayou cafe in New Orleans square at DL. It has the most incredible atmosphere of any restaurant the paul on my opinion. It is an atmosphere that was replicated in Tokyo and Paris, but sadly not Orlando.
Isn't this the one where the boats for Pirates of the Caribbean pass by the diners? :)
Yes...... :wub:

Hey, don't forget the trip report when you get back - or a travelogue if you have wireless at your hotel!

It's me, Saber Mom. I'm not sure of how to log in from my phone. I'll be quick because I don't want to use up my data, but this roomette is awesome! I feel like I'm a kid in my own little fort!

That's exactly what it feels like! :)

I keep the lights off at night. It's fun knowing you can look out at people and cars but they can't see you.

Yes!

Oh my word, do I ever have a story to tell you all. I'm on my way home now after an awesome 5 days in Los Angeles and when I get home on Monday night/Tuesday morning, I'll tell you all my story.

Just a hint: failed brakes, derailment, busses, free cab ride, sun, comraderie, Marijuana, Jesus and green Lucky Charms.

(No, I didn't smoke MJ nor did I see any, but it's funny and I'll tell you all about it when I get home).

You're not going to believe this, but the SWC #4, the train I'm on, has been evacuated. I'm currently sitting in the Garden City, Kansasa police station with a couple of hundred of my best friends. :)

Now you really are wondering what you signed up for. :eek:

Please let us know more when you can.

You're not going to believe this, but the SWC #4, the train I'm on, has been evacuated. I'm currently sitting in the Garden City, Kansasa police station with a couple of hundred of my best friends. :)
Nothing about that sounds the slightest bit unbelievable. Best of luck getting back on your way in a timely fashion.

Bomb scare, yes. And all Southwest Chiefs were stopped and searched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back