What have I signed myself up for?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saber Mom,if at all possible, change from Room 4 to a lower level room. My granddaughter has an autoimmune disease which sounds similar to yours. As stated before, there is only one restroom on the upper level and it is often in use. The 3 restrooms on the lower level are not used as much.
Just be sure to ask to MODIFY your reservation, not cancel/rebook. If the agent tells you it will cost more, ask them to check with a supervisor on how to modify w/o affecting the price.

VF, the LAUS lounge is open. Not sure if it opened in 2013 or 2014.
VF was visiting Tara,which doesn't have internet or cell service, when the LAX Metro Lounge opened so he missed the many threads on AU discussing this!
Why do they keep making these changes without my express authorizations? Meanwhile, don't tell my wife about Tara. She'll wanna move there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Upstairs is 10 roomettes sharing one bathroom. Downstairs is 4 roomettes and the Family bedroom sharing 3 bathrooms.
I almost never use the upstairs bathroom, unless it's to wash my hands before or after visitng the dining car. It reminds me of the busy bathroom at the front of a department store or event complex. But then, I'm agile enough to trundle up and down the stairs so it isn't an issue if I have an upstairs roommette.

Thanks for checking out the sourcing; I was in a hurry last night and the only reference I got was an Amazon entry which seemed to indicate it is going out of print or at least might only be available on the secondary market. I think I bought it when the 2nd edition was somewhat new, and then not too long after that bought the Kindle version just to have an always-there copy available. Didn't notice any Kindle version this time around, so that edition may have gone out of print.

Glad you were able to locate a (very) reasonably-priced copy; not a bad book for an author who openly admits to living in Hawaii for much of his recent life!

Lastly, a book that was helpful to me as a AMTK newbie is

All Aboard: The Complete North American Train Travel Guide, by Jim Loomis
I just now looked that book up on Amazon, and they have the 2nd edition which gets great reviews. Then I went to Abe Books and ordered a copy for $3.95 with free shipping. Thanks for the tip.

Saber Mom: do check out the travel tips forum, there's a lot of good stuff there (if you haven't already)!

Also, while it's good to see that you are excited (and you should be!), don't let a possible sub-par experience ruin your trip. It probably won't happen, but there is the possibility you could have the neighbors from hell in your car, or have the occasional sleeping car attendant who is way past jaded and treats everyone slightly better than cattle. There are many dedicated and enthusiastic Amtrak employees, but the nature of the beast is that they are not all charm school and hospitality program graduates. As with most things in life, being flexible in schedule and attitude will make for the most enjoyable trip. Whatever happens, it's not the end of the world, and unlike some people I've known who've gone on cruises (as an example), it's unlikely you will spend your time on the train vomiting in the bathroom or flat on your back with nausea. And in my book, anything above that counts for a good time! :p

Lastly, a book that was helpful to me as a AMTK newbie is

All Aboard: The Complete North American Train Travel Guide, by Jim Loomis

Even if you can't (or don't want to) buy it, it can be obtained at your local library, via inter-library loan if need be. It's particularly written for those who have done little or no modern train travel and explains some of the finer details and idiosyncracies of the system. Sometimes it's just a little more calming, emotionally speaking, to have a book to refer to and have everything organized in one place.
Great advice! I'm pretty easy going. As long as the scenery is nice, I think I'll be okay. I'll definitely check that book out. Thanks for the tip!!

Saber Mom,if at all possible, change from Room 4 to a lower level room. My granddaughter has an autoimmune disease which sounds similar to yours. As stated before, there is only one restroom on the upper level and it is often in use. The 3 restrooms on the lower level are not used as much.
I'll see what I can do. I can do stairs without any issues, and I probably will be okay (just playing "what if" - you know that dangerous game that gets you worrying? I'm an expert at it).

Wow. A lot of perfect information thrown out here. All awesome advise.

The one wrench that I want to throw in this well oiled collection of advise is the following: On your way to Anaheim, you can exit the SWC in Fullerton, transfer to Metrolink and take the train just a couple of stops to Anaheim. You really are a lot closer. I don't know about getting car rentals and lodging, but I know there is a shuttle between Anaheim station and Disney.

Returning home, though, going to LAX is extremely important. If you are ticketed FROM LAX and you don't get on their, they could cancel your whole reservation.

Finally, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but your sleeper ticket is your first class ticket to the lounge area in Chicago. You'll get to sit in a bit more comfortable area, with access to coffee, tea, soda, and chips. You will also be called first for boarding and will get to endure less of a "kindergarten walk" - which is when they line everyone up and play follow the leader to the train. LAX is working on a lounge for sleeper passengers - I don't know if it's done yet or what the status is. If the lounge isn't up and running yet, I think they allow sleeper pax to hang out in a cordoned off area of the Traxx bar. There's a Kindergarten walk there, too.

By the way, I hate to be the one that says this, but here goes. Amtrak is not always a well oiled travelling machine. They do pretty good with what they've got. But they operate on a shoestring budget and their schedule is at the mercy of the private railroad companies who's tracks they ply. Things can happen on Amtrak just like any other transit mode. Be prepared for service disruptions, delays, and just shabby service. I typically try to temper my expectations by planning for the worst, hoping for the best and just loving every minute I'm on board and won't let anyone else change that for me.

Good luck, and please be sure to share with us how your journey goes!
Thank you so much! Appreciate the info about Anaheim and the "kindergarten walk." How funny! I think I'm going to rent a car to go to Anaheim. There's a 5k race in Duarte while I'm there, and I kind of want to do it. We'll see.

Just be sure to ask to MODIFY your reservation, not cancel/rebook. If the agent tells you it will cost more, ask them to check with a supervisor on how to modify w/o affecting the price.
Thank you.

Here's a picture from the SWC's rail fan window from last Oct.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1422284115.059118.jpg
Just beautiful! Can't wait!

VF, the LAUS lounge is open. Not sure if it opened in 2013 or 2014.
VF was visiting Tara,which doesn't have internet or cell service, when the LAX Metro Lounge opened so he missed the many threads on AU discussing this!
Why do they keep making these changes without my express authorizations? Meanwhile, don't tell my wife about Tara. She'll wanna move there.
I feel that way about some TV shows I watch. They did NOT get my permission to kill off Beth in The Walking Dead. The nerve!

Thanks again everyone. Y'all are a very welcoming bunch of people. Thanks for the tips!

You should join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) ASAP. You can earn a lot of points toward future Amtrak travel with your paid roomette trips. Even if you can't get your AGR# on your tickets, You can get it credited after you get back home. You can also earn AGR points by going through the AGR site to do online shopping. There are 3 car rental sites that work with AGR including Hertz.

All you have to do is as soon as you have your AGR number is to call 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask the agent to add your AGR number onto your reservation. It may not show on your ticket, but when the ticket is processed it will be on your reservation and you'll be credited for the trip.

Regarding motion sickness, try Sea Bands. They are elastic bands that apply accupressure to certain nerves in the wrist which is supposed to help with sea sickness. I have problems with motion sickness, but I find that on a train I usually don't have a problem with the Sea Bands. Being on a boat is another issue.

I would like to echo the recommendation to change to a lower level roomette based on some of your concerns, at least on the first trip, and it shouldn't cost you a penny extra.

Oh gosh, you are all making me so excited!

TraneMan - I'll bring cash for tips, but do they accept credit cards if I decide to purchase from the snack shop (can't remember what it's called). If not, how much cash should I have on me for a two day trip? Also, when we stop to pick up other passengers throughout the trip, will I be able to get off the train at all to breathe fresh air or get cash from an ATM?

So sorry to sound so ignorant. Thank you all so much!
No need to be sorry! We are glad to help you out!

I still get excited about our trips, and as you can see below in my post all the mileage i've put on still act like a kid! LOL

You can use credit card in the lounge car, honestly.. I've never been hungary to go and get something there as you get 3 full meals a day! I have brought on snacks on our trips to have something to nibble on, and you can also bring something on to drink if you wish.

As Sarah mention, stay near the train and they'll call when time to leave. Also, they blow the horn twice, so get on!!

Excellent advice from the group.

It is VERY rare to find an actual case of motion sickness on a train. I've dealt with thousands of passengers (maybe hundreds of thousands) during my Amtrak career, and have seen it happen only a very few times. However, if I were in your position, I would be sure to bring some Dramamine along as a precaution, since Amtrak does not have it available on the train. I understand that the lawyers get nervous about selling any medication because of (real or imagined) liability issues. The only medicine available is Tylenol.

As for meals, I suggest you visit the lounge. You'll get a sense of the ambiance and the motion of the train. You may strike up an acquaintance with someone whom you'd like to join for a meal. After some time in the informal atmosphere of the lounge, you may feel more comfortable with the idea of eating in the diner. If you do have meals in your room, be sure to give your attendant sufficient advance notice so that he/she can plan for it. The lounge is also the place where you'll get the best views of the scenery in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

Most important, relax and have fun. And let us know about your experiences. Maybe next time, you can talk your husband into taking the train with you.

Tom

Aloha

One thing not said. Depending where you are staying in LA you may prefer local transit to Disneyland. The train station is close, and has a bus service that goes to the Disneyland Main Gate, Secondly some find driving in LS not fun.

Another thing not said is while what little sway there is in the cars, and it is less noticible, on the lower level, the track noise is louder on the lower level.

Personally I have tried both, prefer the upper, but suggest you try to find out which you prefer.

Enjoy

Excellent advice from the group.

I would be sure to bring some Dramamine along as a precaution,

Tom
Just be aware that Dramamine may make you sleepy, which may or may not be a concern for you.
That's why I recommend Bonine. It's a simple dissolving tablet, non-drowsy, and you can take it after feeling symptoms if you don't want to be proactive with it, though it works better if you take it a day before up to a day after your trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
You people are wonderful. Thank you all!

I'm very familiar with both Bonine and Dramamine and believe it or not, wrist bands too. Hopefully, none of them will be needed.

Aloha

One thing not said. Depending where you are staying in LA you may prefer local transit to Disneyland. The train station is close, and has a bus service that goes to the Disneyland Main Gate, Secondly some find driving in LS not fun.

Another thing not said is while what little sway there is in the cars, and it is less noticible, on the lower level, the track noise is louder on the lower level.

Personally I have tried both, prefer the upper, but suggest you try to find out which you prefer.

Enjoy
If you do decide to park the car and take transit to Disneyland here are a couple of options:

Both Amtrak and MetroLink serve Fullerton and Anaheim with frequent service from LAUS.

Fullerton Amtrak is about 5 miles north of Disneyland, Bus 43 from Fullerton will drop you off on Harbor Blvd entrance to Disneyland, Express 543 stops about 3 blocks south.

Anaheim Amtrak is about 3-1/2 miles west of Disneyland, Anaheim Resort Shuttle is direct to the park, Bus 50 from Anaheim Amtrak also stops about 3 blocks south.

On a good day the Southern California freeway system can be a pleasant drive, on a bad day it makes Amtraks (or airlines) bad days look very good indeed.

Earlier I told you that Hertz has a rental car counter inside Union Station, but I wanted to add that Budget also has a counter.

I highly recommend using one of those two companies because when you rent a car with them, they actually have the car parked at Union Station. The rental cars are actually parked on the second floor right next to Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge, so as you return home, you can check in there and set your bags down before going downstairs to turn in the keys.

If you rent from any of the other major car rental companies, they'll send you to another location in Downtown LA. Most will either pick you up or reimburse your cab fare. It's not a huge problem, but it takes longer.

Also, personal opinion from a huge public transportation geek and an LA native... just rent a car.

There are options to take public transportation around LA & Orange counties but they take a LOT longer and they can have somewhat spotty frequencies (especially during the mid-day hours). I wish it was different.

The only exception is if you're planning on just going to Anaheim, staying there the whole time and your hotel is walking distance to the theme parks/convention center. I mean if your rental car is just going to sit in a paid parking lot, it doesn't make since to have one. In that case it might be worth it to look into taking Amtrak from Chicago to Anaheim and catching the resort shuttle.

Also... as has been mentioned earlier in this thread... there are Metropolitan Lounges in both LA and Chicago. I suggest walking around both stations for a few minutes, admire the architecture (both are gems) and then head up to the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for your train. It's definitely a much more comfortable place to wait, you get priority boarding, free WiFi and free drinks and snacks.

I'll add, I can read on.

A car, bus or subway, if I read more than 5 minutes I become very nauseated.

Trains tend to be much more smooth.

You should do fine.

Earlier I told you that Hertz has a rental car counter inside Union Station, but I wanted to add that Budget also has a counter.

I highly recommend using one of those two companies because when you rent a car with them, they actually have the car parked at Union Station. The rental cars are actually parked on the second floor right next to Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge, so as you return home, you can check in there and set your bags down before going downstairs to turn in the keys.

If you rent from any of the other major car rental companies, they'll send you to another location in Downtown LA. Most will either pick you up or reimburse your cab fare. It's not a huge problem, but it takes longer.

Also, personal opinion from a huge public transportation geek and an LA native... just rent a car.

There are options to take public transportation around LA & Orange counties but they take a LOT longer and they can have somewhat spotty frequencies (especially during the mid-day hours). I wish it was different.

The only exception is if you're planning on just going to Anaheim, staying there the whole time and your hotel is walking distance to the theme parks/convention center. I mean if your rental car is just going to sit in a paid parking lot, it doesn't make since to have one. In that case it might be worth it to look into taking Amtrak from Chicago to Anaheim and catching the resort shuttle.

Also... as has been mentioned earlier in this thread... there are Metropolitan Lounges in both LA and Chicago. I suggest walking around both stations for a few minutes, admire the architecture (both are gems) and then head up to the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for your train. It's definitely a much more comfortable place to wait, you get priority boarding, free WiFi and free drinks and snacks.
Fantastic!

I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to be doing when it comes to Disney, but since you're a native, I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

How far is the airport from the beach? (I'm staying at a hotel near the airport). I've never seen the Pacific and I want to dip my toes in it.

If I end up driving to Anaheim, is there a time of day I absolutely should not be driving due to traffic congestion?

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back