What have I signed myself up for?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney is quite a ways from LAX the Airport. I stayed at the Hilton LAX when I was 19 and remember it was almost an hour cab ride in the middle of the night.

Regardless, when you are at Disney, be sure to enjoy the World Famous Jungle Cruise.

Fantastic!

I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to be doing when it comes to Disney, but since you're a native, I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

How far is the airport from the beach? (I'm staying at a hotel near the airport). I've never seen the Pacific and I want to dip my toes in it.
Which airport? John Wayne (SNA) or LAX?Both aren't far from a beach... 15-20 minute drive. If you're near SNA head over to Newport Beach, if you're near LAX head over to Venice Beach or Manhattan Beach.

If I end up driving to Anaheim, is there a time of day I absolutely should not be driving due to traffic congestion?

Thanks!!
Expect congestion at any hour of any day. Between LA and Anaheim you're more likely to encounter congestion northbound between 6-9am and southbound between 3-8pm. Friday night southbound traffic will be awful, guaranteed.

The hotels near the LAX airport are all served by a special circle bus route that runs from the hotels down to the beach and a shopping area or two and then back to the hotels again, for a very small fare, or at least they did the last time I was there two years ago.

There is also a Flyaway Shuttle bus that runs every half hour, 24 hours a day, between Union Station in downtown to the airport itself. The airport hotels then also have their own shuttle buses that run from the airport to the hotels. I'll be availing myself of these when I'm there in two weeks time, after coming into town on the Coast Starlight.

While the cafe lounge does accept credit cards, there are occasionally difficulties, at which time only cash is accepted. Have, say, $100 in your pocket before you depart for tips in the diner and car attendant, as well as anything else which might come up. For example, at Albuquerque there will be local artisans along the platform selling wares which you might want to buy. I don't know if they take anything other than cash. Or, if you decided to order a pizza and have it delivered to the train. Might need cash for a tip. There won't likely be an opportunity to find an atm along the way.

Oh, and you've probably read this in the tips threads, but if you plan on plugging more than one thing in your single outlet, a power strip in a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, less complicated in ABQ with a nearly 1-hour layover. But in general at other places, yes, it can be quite the challenge to reach a pizza place, order it, and have it ready at the train, still hot while you pay for it and the conductor is yelling all aboard!

If you have more than 45 minute to wait in ABQ, and you are a carnivore, I recommend Tucano's Brazillian Grill right on the corner of 1st and Central. Biggest downside is that going Northeast, you don't have enough time, and going Southwest, you have enough time, but the time is awkward - 4 PM for a $24 meal. But you can spend that quick in the diner. LOL

While the cafe lounge does accept credit cards, there are occasionally difficulties, at which time only cash is accepted. Have, say, $100 in your pocket before you depart for tips in the diner and car attendant, as well as anything else which might come up. For example, at Albuquerque there will be local artisans along the platform selling wares which you might want to buy. I don't know if they take anything other than cash. Or, if you decided to order a pizza and have it delivered to the train. Might need cash for a tip. There won't likely be an opportunity to find an atm along the way.
The stop in ABQ is sufficient enough to avail of several service options. There's an ATM in the station, and several near the station in the business district (including a bank or two within walking distance, if the need is greater). A decent local coffee place is about three blocks away (though no blender for fancy drinks---a downer when I was there this summer and the temperature was at and above 100℉); several pub-style eateries and the like are also nearby. Alvarado Transportation Center also has a QuikTrak machine, really helpful if all you need to do is print tickets or check an itinerary. For the unititiated, I should note that ATC, due to the fact that it its an intermodal facility, sometimes attracts a sketchy clientele, so not my recommended place to hang out for more than a few minutes.

Excellent advice from the group.

I would be sure to bring some Dramamine along as a precaution,

Tom
Just be aware that Dramamine may make you sleepy, which may or may not be a concern for you.
That's why I recommend Bonine. It's a simple dissolving tablet, non-drowsy, and you can take it after feeling symptoms if you don't want to be proactive with it, though it works better if you take it a day before up to a day after your trip.
Bonine contains meclizine (also sold as Antivert) which is an antihistamine. Like all antihistamines, it can cause drowsiness.

Wow. A lot of perfect information thrown out here. All awesome advise.

The one wrench that I want to throw in this well oiled collection of advise is the following: On your way to Anaheim, you can exit the SWC in Fullerton, transfer to Metrolink and take the train just a couple of stops to Anaheim. You really are a lot closer. I don't know about getting car rentals and lodging, but I know there is a shuttle between Anaheim station and Disney.

Returning home, though, going to LAX is extremely important. If you are ticketed FROM LAX and you don't get on their, they could cancel your whole reservation.

Finally, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but your sleeper ticket is your first class ticket to the lounge area in Chicago. You'll get to sit in a bit more comfortable area, with access to coffee, tea, soda, and chips. You will also be called first for boarding and will get to endure less of a "kindergarten walk" - which is when they line everyone up and play follow the leader to the train. LAX is working on a lounge for sleeper passengers - I don't know if it's done yet or what the status is. If the lounge isn't up and running yet, I think they allow sleeper pax to hang out in a cordoned off area of the Traxx bar. There's a Kindergarten walk there, too.

By the way, I hate to be the one that says this, but here goes. Amtrak is not always a well oiled travelling machine. They do pretty good with what they've got. But they operate on a shoestring budget and their schedule is at the mercy of the private railroad companies who's tracks they ply. Things can happen on Amtrak just like any other transit mode. Be prepared for service disruptions, delays, and just shabby service. I typically try to temper my expectations by planning for the worst, hoping for the best and just loving every minute I'm on board and won't let anyone else change that for me.

Good luck, and please be sure to share with us how your journey goes!
And this is even easier. We get off in Fullerton and take a quick cab ride to Disneyland. No need to catch another train and the cab is under $20.00. Super easy!

Although downstairs is closer to the extra bathrooms (I always travel roomette and for the most part go downstairs to use the restrooms unless it's late night), I do notice it does lessen the view, so since your trip already has one upstairs and one downstairs room booked, maybe leave as is and see how it goes this time. I was surprised that I missed having the view when I was assigned to a downstairs room last year.

I hate eating in the dining car, but do it at least once every trip, especially for breakfast so the room can be made up. I don't like trying to make conversation and the awkward silence is worse, but even though all materials say private room dining is part of the SCA's job, I often feel like it's a bother for them, so the whole dining thing is a little uncomfortable for me. You don't have to have the whole giant meal, either, I often get on right at lunch time and suffer through the dining car for a hamburger, then have the SCA just bring me a baked potato for dinner (and maybe dessert too :) )

To justify the cost, I just look at it like a road trip...on a train..and the extra cost is what I'd pay for hotels and eating out. I also HATE to fly and only do so when I have to, like to Mexico.

In a couple weeks, though I'm facing the 'never ending train trip' since I need to go to Orlando and since they took that route off years ago, never to return, on the Sunset Limited, I have to go to Albuquerque to get on the Chief, go to Chicago, then to DC, then to Orlando. We will see how that goes! Pretty nervous.

All advice here is good. The most important is you are on train time! you will creep along a lot and stop often and sit there for no apparent reason. You will be way ahead of schedule and then manage to fall way behind. Still, with the proper additude it is super relaxing. Oh yea, please realize the sleepers have very thin walls so be sure and use headphones like you would in coach. I not only bring a fully loaded kindle, bit my Fire for movies downloaded as rentals or purchased off Amazon. I think on my never ending trip I may binge on Downton Abbey. OH! as a first class pasenger, take advatage of the wonderful lounges in Chicago and Los Angeles for any waiting time you might have. Lovely, comfy and free snacks. :)

For the unititiated, I should note that ATC, due to the fact that it its an intermodal facility, sometimes attracts a sketchy clientele, so not my recommended place to hang out for more than a few minutes.
I live in Albuquerque and from time to time need go through the Alvarado Transit Center (ATC) area for city buses and local commuter Rail Runner train. That small lounge - really just a few indoor benches - is often occupied by downtown homeless, as are the rest rooms.

On the other hand, the Amtrak-Greyhound station next door to the south is better monitored and cleaner and very rarely has any homeless for any length of time.

What a great thread!

Have fun on your trip, Saber Mom. I'm a little susceptible to motion sickness and haven't had any problems on the train. I can't read in the car AT ALL, but I have no problem reading or working on the PC on the train. I love having a roomette. If the A/C is good in your room you can keep the door closed and it is so nice an quiet. I'll add to the power comment earlier... I read (I think on this board years ago) that it's a good idea to bring a power strip with a surge suppressor. From what I understand, the power on the train can be noisy. I found a short extension plug (3 prong) and put a small surge suppressor on that has 2 or 4 plugs. That way you can keep your phone powered up and your laptop as well.

Oh, and the cheescake is pretty good!

Can't wait to hear about your adventure. I need to get back on the train. It's been too long!

don.

RSG said:
For the unititiated, I should note that ATC, due to the fact that it its an intermodal facility, sometimes attracts a sketchy clientele, so not my recommended place to hang out for more than a few minutes.
I live in Albuquerque and from time to time need go through the Alvarado Transit Center (ATC) area for city buses and local commuter Rail Runner train. That small lounge - really just a few indoor benches - is often occupied by downtown homeless, as are the rest rooms.On the other hand, the Amtrak-Greyhound station next door to the south is better monitored and cleaner and very rarely has any homeless for any length of time.
Yeah, what you say about homeless hangout is true, when I hung out in ABQ for 3 days last May. But not a bad place at all, the Amtrak-Greyhound south part is tolerable, not scary at all, the restrooms are clean, and the north part is not worrisome either. The locals take the NM Railrunner to Santa Fe and don't worry at all about the station. About like Jacksonville FL (Not the Amtrak station, which is midscale, and clean,but the downtown bus place in Jacksonville is slighlty grubby but safe and clean) , or Newport News --

Possibly Sketchy? possibly low-class but not bad, not scary, not worrisome. I sure had no fear

ABQ station is good

PS..I'm a travel agent who specializes in Disneyland, so if you have any questions in that regard, please let me know.

Earlie in this topic someone mentioned having a pizza delivered to a train. Many years ago I had a pizza delivered to an engine as we stopped across the street from the restaurant, thanks to the help of a tower operator. The owner had to bring the pizza out personally and would not take any money, he just wanted one of his employees to take a picture of the delivery.

I'll add, I can read on.

A car, bus or subway, if I read more than 5 minutes I become very nauseated.

Trains tend to be much more smooth.

You should do fine.
Well, I'll be the weird one. I think I got a bit of a headache on the Talgo trains (Cascades). Good thing is, not used on any other Amtrak route (yet). Also got QUITE sick on the Acela trainset when it was new. I firmly believe if was the new interiors and upholstery outgassing, however, not the train motion. If it was train motion I would have felt different on straight stretches as opposed to curves....

I spent most of the trip in the cafe and every time I tried to return to my seat (in a coach full of new upholstery) my head started pounding. I was (mostly) okay in the cafe car. An Amtrak employee off duty was hanging around at the closed bar talking **** so I had a most enjoyable ride. He said people were getting sick from the tilting, which is possible, but you don't hear about people getting sick on Acela Express now that the cars are umpteen years old, do you? All that noxious gas has 90%+ dissipated. JMHO.

I must say, I've been pretty comfortable on Superliners, Viewliners, Amfleets, etc. Exception would be burning brake smell backing up into coaches. Had that happen a couple of time on New England legs because those Boston crewbase engineers are crazy.

A lot of the nausea on planes is due to the gas composition and pressure situation in the plane which is not an issue when you achieve a maximum cruising altitude of 3'!

You guys are awesome. So much information. I'm so thankful.

I am arriving in Los Angeles on a Monday morning (it says 8:15am, but it's okay if we are running late. I don't need to be anywhere until the next day) and I need to get to an airport hotel. What is the best way to do this? I'd rather not rent a car to sit in a parking lot all day. I'm a little nervous about this because I get carsick when other people drive, but hopefully I'll be okay. If it's a shuttle, how long is the drive?

Thanks again!

The best way is to take the safe and convenient Light Rail from Union Station to the airport.

Rather, that would be the best way, if light rail went to the airport...

I don't think there are any shuttles from Union Station to the airport hotels.

(I assume you mean an LAX airport hotel, and not one of the several other airports?)

If I were you, I'd call your hotel and ask for the best way to get there.

If that doesn't help, I'd get on the Flyaway bus at Union Station, which will take you to the airport ($8, buy your ticket from the Metrolink vending machines, departs every 20-30 minutes). Then catch a cab or hotel shuttle to your hotel.

It's about a half hour or so from Union Station to the airport, more if there's traffic, and there will be traffic.

Thanks Bjartmarr! I did mean an LAX airport hotel. I figured I'd take something (a shuttle, cab, whatever) from Union Station to LAX and then a hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel. You'd think I would have thought about calling the hotel. DUH!! Thanks for the suggestion!

Earlie in this topic someone mentioned having a pizza delivered to a train. Many years ago I had a pizza delivered to an engine as we stopped across the street from the restaurant, thanks to the help of a tower operator. The owner had to bring the pizza out personally and would not take any money, he just wanted one of his employees to take a picture of the delivery.
Drone delivery of pizza might be coming soon.

If you're departing Union Station buy your Flyaway ticket from the Flyaway machine at the bus departure point. Buying from a generic Metrolink machine could easily result in purchase of an incorrect or misidentified ticket that the Flyaway driver will not accept.

Drone delivery of pizza might be coming soon.
Pizza is already the easiest food to order nationwide. Drones won't fix the primary problem, which is that in most of the country Amtrak train arrivals are relatively rare events that cannot be counted on to be a specific place at a specific time for a specific duration. Until that gets fixed any restaurant larger than a lady with a box of burritos or a man with a portable grill has little incentive to bring their food to a train station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back