What have I signed myself up for?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have another question. I am due to arrive at Chicago via the SWC at 3:15pm on Monday, March 9th. I am due to leave Chicago for Grand Rapids at 4:55pm on the Pere Marquette. When I originally booked the trip, this is what Amtrak online recommended, and not knowing that Amtrak runs late, I figured the amount of time between the two trains was enough. Your thoughts?

I wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread, so I hope it's okay that I continued this one. Thank you!

Hello everyone. I have another question. I am due to arrive at Chicago via the SWC at 3:15pm on Monday, March 9th. I am due to leave Chicago for Grand Rapids at 4:55pm on the Pere Marquette. When I originally booked the trip, this is what Amtrak online recommended, and not knowing that Amtrak runs late, I figured the amount of time between the two trains was enough. Your thoughts?

I wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread, so I hope it's okay that I continued this one. Thank you!
The SWC tends to run on time. If it is late, Amtrak will arrange a bus or van to get the PM passengers back to Michigan. Alternately, they will put you up in a hotel and give you a food voucher for the night and then put you on the next day's PM.

I was on the westbound SWC last week and we were running on time until a piece of debris on the track caught one of our brake lines and snapped it. That put the train into emergency stop, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the Arizona desert. We were delayed approximately 4 hours. We ended up only an hour late into LA, but that's because of some unbelievable schedule padding around SoCal.

So anything can happen, even on the routes that normally run on time. But my experience when I have connecting trains is that Amtrak does take this situation seriously; they don't just leave you hanging.

Saber Mom,

Are you a big Disney fan? The reason I ask is because if you are, you will surely find one day is not nearly enough time to take both parks in. Both Disneyland and California Adventure take at least one whole day each to fully absorb. I see that you are no fan of roller coasters, so the thrill rides would be out, but they have a lot of dark rides and entertainment that shouldn't be missed. The (newer) World Of Color at the CA park is great, and they have recently redone the entrance are and added a cute section known as "CarsLand". In Disneyland they still have the Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan's Flight (better than the one in WDW's Magic Kingdom). The version of Pirates of the Caribbean there is better too. Anyway, I could go on for hours about what not to miss there.

In case you couldn't tell, yep, I'm a fan of the mouse! <- after all, they have trains there!

Oh yes, I love everything about Disney. I only have one day, so if you had to choose btwn parks, which one would you choose?

I'll be going to L.A. again next year with the husband and kids, so I'll be able to do Disney in depth next year.

Oh yes, I love everything about Disney. I only have one day, so if you had to choose btwn parks, which one would you choose?

I'll be going to L.A. again next year with the husband and kids, so I'll be able to do Disney in depth next year.
Well, that just kinda' depends. If you are a Disney Traditionalist (like me), then you will probably enjoy DL more. It's like visiting someplace you used to live, and you like the nostalgia of walking familiar(ish) streets. If you like the family entertainment side of Disney, and are a fan of the more modern Disney movies, the California Adventure park might be a better choice. Have you been to Disneyland before? How about Walt Disney World? If you like the Magic Kingdom at WDW, then you'll really enjoy the subtle differences of Disneyland!

Anyway, to help you plan, try the forums at: www.DisBoards.com. Also, there are quite a few videos on YouTube showing the various rides in each park. There is a separate forum for Disneyland on the DisBoards, and it is chock full of great information - just like here!

DL. Hands down. I was not impressed with California Adventure, though they had a couple of neat rides. Not worth the long waits and the $100 admission fee now.

I worked for 5 years at Tokyo Disneyland and 3 more at Walt Disney World. I was a Jungle Cruise skipper, so, yes, though it has almost nothing to do with Disney movies, characters, etc., it's still my favorite ride there. It was the favorite of other guests, too, as I drug them out of line from Pirates of the Caribbean and made them promise me they would laugh at my jokes.

Between Tokyo, LA, and Orlando, I still feel that Tokyo and DL in CA offer the most "Disney-esque" experience the way Walt envisioned his parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So nice to meet other Disney fanatics!

No, I haven't been to Disneyland (yet), but I have been to WDW several times. It's hard for me to choose a favorite park because I love them all, but I tend to spend the most time at Magic Kingdom. I could spend all day on the Buzz Lightyear ride if my kids and my husband would let me. :) If I can ever talk my husband into it, I want to move to Orlando and be a cast member when we are retired. I actually cry when we leave MK every time and believe it or not, when I see Main Street for the first time each visit, I get all teary-eyed then too. So, I think I'll go to DL and do CA when I have more time next year.

I've heard that the castle is under refurbishment at DL, so I'm a little disappointed in that. Have either of you heard that?

Ahhh yes, disboards. I'm a member there! I haven't been there in ages. I should hop on again and say hi. Thanks!!!

Obviously, one of the perks of working there is the admission priviledges. Though as one fellow worker once told me, you may be able to get in for free, but you can't get out for free!

One of my early jobs at TDL as a 16 year old was working guest control for the Electrical Parade. I still get goosebumps 25 years later when I hear the soundtrack of that parade. The nostalgia is powerful. As much as I enjoy the other parks at WDW, the MK will always be the one I remember most.

Outstanding Post VF, you may get in for Free, but you can' t get out for Free! LMAO

I remember taking my daughter to the then New WDW in the swamps of Central Florida, it was so long ago Parking and the Monorail was Free and a Day Pass for WDW and Epcot was $25 a day! Of course the Hotels,Souvenirs and Food and Drink Weren't! (but it was still Memory Book stuff!)

Outstanding Post VF, you may get in for Free, but you can' t get out for Free! LMAO

I remember taking my daughter to the then New WDW in the swamps of Central Florida, it was so long ago Parking and the Monorail was Free and a Day Pass for WDW and Epcot was $25 a day! Of course the Hotels,Souvenirs and Food and Drink Weren't! (but it was still Memory Book stuff!)
The first time we went was 1990 (I was 13). The four-day pass was $100. Now, a single-day pass to the Magic Kingdom is $105. :mellow:

I'm excited to see Disneyland someday. I'd like to go back to WDW as well. Brent has never seen EPCOT, as it was built after his family left Florida.

Now, a single-day pass to the Magic Kingdom is $105. :mellow:
Plus tax.

Disney’s Magic Kingdom one-day passes breach $100 mark

Cost increase likely makes the Florida family attraction the first in the industry to breach the $100 psychological barrier.

A one-day ticket to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando jumped on Sunday to $105 from $99, an increase that likely makes the Florida family attraction the first in the industry to breach the $100 psychological barrier.

All other Walt Disney DIS parks in Orlando and California increased prices for one-day, one-park admission, but they remained slightly below $100. Disneyland and Disney California now cost $99 while Orlando’s Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios cost $97. Taxes are extra for all tickets.

I do like Epcot (note, that it is stylized as a proper noun rather than the acronymn for Experimental Polyester Clothing of Tomorrow - or was it Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday?). Epcot, though, is a very expensive place to enter only to enjoy a couple of attractions and then pay more again for a meal. That being said, it is my 2nd favorite park (then Animal Kingdom then Disney Studios, formerly Disney/MGM Studios).

There are a couple of very exciting attractions at Epcot, like Soarin' and Mission Space. Test Track is fun, but was WAY over promised. There is the classic Michael Jackson's Captain EO which I love, but it's not in it's full 4-D glory, and they took out Honey I Shrunk the Audience to accommodate it. The Maelstrom water ride at Norway was always fun, but it's being remade into a Frozen attraction. The best thing about Epcot are their LONG airconditioned rides like Ellen's (Degeneress) Energy Adventure and Space Ship Earth.

I'm sorry. I'm tearing up from nostalgia. :wacko:

I see Disney has stylized "Epcot", so I guess I'll start using that from now on. :)

I liked going to all of the fake countries, and the retro futurism was super cool, but again... I was 13. I think I'd still enjoy it today, though.

I could seriously live in EPCOT. I love eating at Mexico. We make sure we eat there every time we visit. I hope DL doesn't let me down. :D (I'm positive it won't).

I could seriously live in EPCOT. I love eating at Mexico. We make sure we eat there every time we visit. I hope DL doesn't let me down. :D (I'm positive it won't).
I think my head just exploded. This must be a nostalgia thing because in my view WDW has the absolute worst food I've eaten in my entire life. Including the "Mexican" restaurant at Epcot. If you're over the age of ten the WDW parks (and the city of Orlando) is a basically a flavor desert. Nothing but bland and tasteless junk paired with weak drinks and big bills. Then again maybe it's my own fault for visiting a theme park past middle age.

LOL! I agree with your assessment of EPCOT food, but seriously, I love Mexico. Just love it. My picky kids even ate there, so that could be why too. But I'm also not a food connoisseur. A glamourous night out for us is pizza and beer. :D :D :D

I hope you don't have too much of a mess cleaning up your head explosion. ;)

Okay another question….

Hertz or Budget (or whatever other car rental at Union Station). Ideally, I'd love to pick the car up from the airport since I'm staying at an airport hotel, travel around CA for two days, and then return it to LAUS, but I'm finding that may not be possible. Your thoughts? (Oh my word, I seriously don't ask this many questions in real life. I'm such a newbie at this!)

Hopefully the day will come soon when you can take your family to the Real Mexico and enjoy some of the best food in the world, along with the scenery, culture and the friendly people!

In the mean time, if you can make it to certain cities in Texas or New Mexico, you can experience the food, some of the culture and the people!

Its my second favorite place to visit after Canada, hopefully the damn Cartels will soon disappear along with the corrupt government and the right wing kooks in this country that demonize Mexicans!

Jimhudson, believe it or not, I used to work in Mexico (Juarez). Talk about awesome food. Oh my word, so good. We would travel daily from El Paso, TX across the border to Juarez to work. It was eye-opening to me as a young girl in her twenties, what a life experience that was! Once I got pregnant with my oldest, my husband and I decided it was best to stay home, but I do miss those days of flying down to Texas and working in Juarez for a few weeks every few months. That was a wonderful job.

As for vacationing in Mexico, I have never done that. Someday...

Lucky you that you got to experience Juarez and the real Mexico before the slime ruined it! Yeah, someday I'd like to go back for a Holiday too!

I'll leave the Rent Car advice to others but consider renting your car through the AGR site since they always have Bonus Point Deals going on!

Thank you!!

Well, I was there in the 90s, and it was awful. I had to have a man with me at all times whenever I was in Juarez. Of course, I broke that rule one day to go shopping at the market in downtown Juarez and a friend of mine and I were pulled over in Juarez. She was also a woman, but Mexican - I was a blonde American and an easy target, I guess. The police came to my side of the vehicle and wanted my ID. Of course, my Spanish is VERY limited, so I followed my girl friend's advice the entire time (while ready to pee my pants!) - I kept saying, "No comprendo" over and over while she yelled at him in Spanish. She gave him some $$ and they let us go. I was so thankful she was with me because God knows what would have happened. As we were being pulled over, she told me to hide my purse under the seat so it wasn't noticeable when the police came to my door and to absolutely NOT reach for my ID. Her fear is that I wouldn't be able to get back over the border without my ID.

Let's just say…I learned a huge lesson that day even though I got some really good deals at the market.

Yeah, all the Border cities ended up being this way unfortunaly, the "Mordida" and crooked cops and Border guards became the norm!

When I was a kid you could ride the Streetcar for a Nickel from El Paso to Juarez, the markets we're everywhere selling really cheap stuff and the cafes, bars and clubs, along with the bull fights and race track were really nice and great places to go! ( old joke: "What' s the drinking age in Mexico?

Answer: " Do you have 2 pesos?". LOL

I used to take Winter Vacations along the Pacific Coast, in the Yucatan and also the Mountains in the Summer! Mexico City was known as the Paris of the West and was a fantastic place!

Jonni Mitchell was right, " ..pave paradise, put up a parking lot.." Sigh

Oh that's so sad. Juarez was nothing like that when I was there. It was heartbreaking, actually. That's where I learned two major things - don't make eye contact with panhandlers and don't take what you have for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back