LSL boston sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cafe car on the LSL typically had a lot of empty or underutilized tables overnight, and was super empty during the day through Indiana. They sold a lot of food but not a lot of people stuck around to eat it in the cafe. So it probably makes sense to use a half-and-half.

... I wonder if they will start it NY to pick up the up the Hudson crowd instead of Boston. We shall soon see.
From the Passenger Service Notice:
"Business Class service will begin on eastbound Train 48/448 originating in Chicago on October 24, 2016. This service will start on westbound Train 49/449 originating at Boston and Albany-Rensselaer on October 26, 2016. At this time, Business Class is not available between New York and Albany-Rensselaer."

Also the consist will be:

Locomotive(s) - (two during the winter season)

Baggage - Boston

Sleeper - Boston (4820/4920)

Cafe/Business class - Boston (Amfleet I Club-Dinette serving lounge menu)

Coach - Boston

Coach - Boston

Coach - New York

Coach - New York

Coach - New York

Food Car - New York (Amfleet II serving dining menu CHI-ALB, cafe items ALB-NYP)

Sleeper - New York (4811/4911)

Sleeper - New York (4812/4912)

Baggage - New York

Thanks for the quick update. Down the road, I wonder if they may change one bag to a bag/dorm, and if cafe sales are good NYP-ALB thinking of how to provide that service when the car goes back to a real diner. I believe they have a platform length issue already in some places.

Anecdotal, but the couple of times I've taken the LSL with the extra sleeper up from NYP, it seemed ok. Never liked the idea of one unit in remote areas where rescue would take forever. It is a relatively flat route, that helps.

Today's 449 out of Boston has only 1 Bedroom available for $700 +. Business Class is selling for $125. I wonder why Business Class passengers can access the Met Lounge in Chicago, but not the lounge in South Station.

Today's 449 out of Boston has only 1 Bedroom available for $700 +. Business Class is selling for $125. I wonder why Business Class passengers can access the Met Lounge in Chicago, but not the lounge in South Station.
Because you would require a large auditorium sized Club Acela if the entire Acela ridership + Regional BC ridership descended on those Clubs.

Because you would require a large auditorium sized Club Acela if the entire Acela ridership + Regional BC ridership descended on those Clubs.
This is true but the Lake Shore Limited is not a regional. So, I'm wondering if this train's Business Class filled up at South Station, hypothetically, how many would that be? Assuming they were all to choose it. I've never been in Boston's Club Acela, but if it's as small as Penn's, then it's inadequate.

Slightly off topic but if Amtrak renamed Acela Business Class to say "Acela Class" or something. Then LD business class passengers could use those lounges and see added value in upgrading to LD business class from coach class, the Acela standard class is still clearly different from Standard class on the regionals. Just saying

From a business perspective, why spend money to re brand something that is successful to give a perk to a service that will likely succeed or fail without it. Empire Service B/C doesn't get lounge privilege out of NYP, they sell very well. Would I prefer to have use of the lounge when I go upstate, of course. But I pretty much accept why I don't get it.

Many Acela and Empire riders have access to Club Acela through Select+ status. It certainly makes a heck of a lot of business sense to not crowd up those clubs with an occasional BC rider so that people who are sending thousands of dollars on Amtrak can have a better experience. And OVD is exactly right, spending money to rebrand a successful service just to give access to a few who will probably contribute way less to the bottom line would just be insanity.

BTW, nothing prevents Amtrak from giving selective access to CA in BOS to LSL BC passengers like they do to the Crescent BC passengers in PHL.

Business Class passengers can pay $20 too use the Boston Club Acela.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I can't recall seeing it in the timetable, for example.

A well kept "not so secret" it is clearly stated on the website, but not in a place people would go to without some curiosity. It is in the "lounges" section, reached by a link from "at the station". Something simple, like a note on the timetable, or even "gasp" a way to suggest/ purchase it at the same time as your ticket, sort of like a bike res, would be nice.

Airlines do the "buy up" thing all the time. Amtrak misses that opportunity in royal fashion.

You are almost immediately offered "pay in advance" bags at a discount, or their brand of "economy plus", on some airlines seat selection or early boarding, and many other add ons. I know Amtrak can do some add on selling, they offer travel insurance.

I remember one time I used New York Penn's club Acela for train 89 in business class without a problem.
You just got lucky, or you happen to be Select+ or used a United Club membership, as I have done sometimes just for the heck of it. The rules clearly state that Club Acelas are not for BC passengers. except for a few clearly stated exceptions at specific Clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back