LSL boston sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received word that my LSL 449 will not have sleepers on the BOS to ALB route on June 7. The agent agreed to send me down to NYP from PVD and board my sleeper on 49 even though the price had gone up considerably since my booking earlier this year. My other option was to run down the corridor to WAS and take the CL 29 back to CLE, but decided to take the train from New York rather than an early departure time from PVD.

Not sure if we will see a sleeper on the BOS-ALB route for a long time.....or ever again, according to one LSL dining car attendant I spoke with. :unsure:

Bill,

I don't understand why you would want to travel via NY instead of BOS. The NY route is more expensive, takes longer, and requires an earlier start than from Boston. Also, the Amfleet 2 cars used from BOS to Albany are more comfortable than the Amfleet 1s from PVD to NY unless you go Acela First class.

Rick, is it so far fetched that extra travel time is worth having the sleeper from origin to destination of that particular train?

Does anyone know what the value of the refund would be for getting put into BC in the cafe car on 448 after ALB? I've heard they are putting the sleeping car passengers there after ALB. I'm going from CHI to SPG on June 19th, but I may decide to leave CHI on the 20th. The price I paid for a roomette from CHI to SPG on the 19th is $316.40 with a AAA discount. I'm holding a reservation for CHI to ALB in a roomette, and then ALB to SPG in coach on the 20th for $293.40 with a AAA discount.

What would be the best option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, is it so far fetched that extra travel time is worth having the sleeper from origin to destination of that particular train?
Thanks for answering for Bill. I have traveled through NYP versus BOS and from my experience it isn't worth the extra expense and time to do so. Just one opinion.

Does anyone know what the value of the refund would be for getting put into BC in the cafe car on 448? I'm going from CHI to SPG on June 19th, but I may decide to leave CHI on the 20th. The price I paid for a roomette from CHI to SPG on the 19th is $316.40 with a AAA discount. I'm holding a reservation for CHI to ALB in a roomette, and then ALB to SPG in coach on the 20th for 293.40 with a AAA discount.

When I rode two weeks ago there wasn't any BC refund on 448. The Amfleet 2s on the 448 are as good as BC anyway.

Does anyone know what the value of the refund would be for getting put into BC in the cafe car on 448? I'm going from CHI to SPG on June 19th, but I may decide to leave CHI on the 20th. The price I paid for a roomette from CHI to SPG on the 19th is $316.40 with a AAA discount. I'm holding a reservation for CHI to ALB in a roomette, and then ALB to SPG in coach on the 20th for 293.40 with a AAA discount.

When I rode two weeks ago there wasn't any BC refund on 448. The Amfleet 2s on the 448 are as good as BC anyway.
I edited my post for more clarity. Do you mean they didn't put you into BC in the cafe car after ALB if you were a sleeping car passenger?

I edited my post for more clarity. Do you mean they didn't put you into BC in the cafe car after ALB if you were a sleeping car passenger?
Correct, when I boarded at ALB the BC/Cafe had a bar across the vestibule and I was directed to the AF 2 coach. I mentioned I had been on the sleeper from CHI but was bluntly told by a conductor to sit in coach. I later went to the now open Cafe and saw two people sitting in BC. I was comfortable with two seats to myself in coach so I didn't push the situation with the conductor. Only one of the two coaches was occupied and everyone had a window seat.

Thanks for answering for Bill. I have traveled through NYP versus BOS and from my experience it isn't worth the extra expense and time to do so. Just one opinion.
The times for leaving PVD were essentially the same both directions. There was no refund for getting a coach seat on 449 out of Boston to Albany and then having to switch cars in Albany and later getting supper. Since my original trip from PVD to Boston to Cleveland was on a $300 transportation voucher and the agent was willing to give me the PVD to NYP to Cleveland for the same price I had paid, it seemed like a good deal to go the corridor route to NYP, get into my sleeper for the entire trip to CLE. I also had not traveled the corridor from Boston to NYP before (I know its hard to believe, but we Midwesterners don't get over East much) so it was new territory to explore as well. So that is my story...and I am sticking with it. :p :p

The times for leaving PVD were essentially the same both directions. There was no refund for getting a coach seat on 449 out of Boston to Albany and then having to switch cars in Albany and later getting supper. Since my original trip from PVD to Boston to Cleveland was on a $300 transportation voucher and the agent was willing to give me the PVD to NYP to Cleveland for the same price I had paid, it seemed like a good deal to go the corridor route to NYP, get into my sleeper for the entire trip to CLE. I also had not traveled the corridor from Boston to NYP before (I know its hard to believe, but we Midwesterners don't get over East much) so it was new territory to explore as well. So that is my story...and I am sticking with it. :p :p
Great ! A happy customer. Thanks for filling in the unknowns.

... saw two people sitting in BC. I was comfortable with two seats to myself in coach so I didn't push the situation with the conductor. Only one of the two coaches was occupied and everyone had a window seat.
Wow! The Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg to Galesburg (pop. 30,000) and Quincy (pop. 40,000) do a lot better than that on a bad day :p

Correct, when I boarded at ALB the BC/Cafe had a bar across the vestibule and I was directed to the AF 2 coach. I mentioned I had been on the sleeper from CHI but was bluntly told by a conductor to sit in coach. I later went to the now open Cafe and saw two people sitting in BC. I was comfortable with two seats to myself in coach so I didn't push the situation with the conductor. Only one of the two coaches was occupied and everyone had a window seat.
And you didn't try to get a refund from Amtrak Customer Relations?

Following up, Customer Relations was surprised that AGR did not issue a points refund when they issued the reservation change. Customer Relations contacted AGR and after much back and forth about old point program, new points, and cost versus mileage basis, etc; I was issued an E-voucher for future travel. It was less than the cost difference between sleeper and coach.

Following up, Customer Relations was surprised that AGR did not issue a points refund when they issued the reservation change. Customer Relations contacted AGR and after much back and forth about old point program, new points, and cost versus mileage basis, etc; I was issued an E-voucher for future travel. It was less than the cost difference between sleeper and coach.
Interesting. Does anyone know who gets to sit in BC then? It looks like Amtrak is now only selling rooms from CHI to ALB, and then coach to BOS. What's weird is that the prices are much higher than they were when you could still book a through sleeper room.

Interesting. Does anyone know who gets to sit in BC then? It looks like Amtrak is now only selling rooms from CHI to ALB, and then coach to BOS. What's weird is that the prices are much higher than they were when you could still book a through sleeper room.
Again, it isn't business class, because it isn't marketed as such. (When I work a Cafe with 2x1 seating, it's open non-revenue seating like the rest of the Cafe.) On 449/448 the split cafe with 2x1 seating is there as a courtesy for sleeper passengers, but as far as I know, no one is entitled to a further voucher for not being allowed to sit in that seating. Though we all know what would happen with a call to Customer Relations.

Again, it isn't business class, because it isn't marketed as such. (When I work a Cafe with 2x1 seating, it's open non-revenue seating like the rest of the Cafe.) On 449/448 the split cafe with 2x1 seating is there as a courtesy for sleeper passengers, but as far as I know, no one is entitled to a further voucher for not being allowed to sit in that seating. Though we all know what would happen with a call to Customer Relations.
Triley, the voucher I received was for the substitution of coach for the sleeper accommodation that I had paid for in AGR points. I was not seeking anything for not sitting in the half BC/Cafe car. AGR did not refund the AGR points I paid for the ALB-BOS and BOS-ALB segments. Therefore, I contacted Customer Relations who agreed I should have received a refund for the sleeper accommodation not received. I asked for a point return to my account but CR could only issue a cash voucher.

Triley, the voucher I received was for the substitution of coach for the sleeper accommodation that I had paid for in AGR points. I was not seeking anything for not sitting in the half BC/Cafe car. AGR did not refund the AGR points I paid for the ALB-BOS and BOS-ALB segments. Therefore, I contacted Customer Relations who agreed I should have received a refund for the sleeper accommodation not received. I asked for a point return to my account but CR could only issue a cash voucher.
I apologize, but my post was meant to be directed more to the continuing reference of Business Class in this thread, and I just wanted to everyone to remember that is not BC, just to avoid potential confusion.

So, I take it your AGR reservation was under the new redemption system?

Edit: Removed the never ending stream of quotes from my post.

Ah okay I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up!

My 2 cents- Other than the ride up the Hudson and being able to have dinner earlier, I would go for the ride across Massachusetts, which is quite beautiful. The travel hours are reasonable.

I rode the LSL from BOS-ALB and ALB-CHI round trip last month. I enjoyed the trip. It was my first time using this particular route.

It appears the Lake Shore is still on course to return to normal operation soon. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Eastbound Boston sleeper slated to return on 10/24 and westbound sleeper starts on 10/26 according to ARROW. What's also interesting is starting on those dates there are Business class options now available. I'm guessing a Club Cafe on 448/449?

Interesting, the Club Cafes used on Empire Service seem to sell pretty well NYP-Albany, but IIRC the cafe car has always pulled from BOS, with the diner coming from NYP. Guess we will know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back