LSL boston sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent photos show the fourth track in place, and the concrete stancions in place for the extension of the high level platform as well as a bunch of rail on the leveled ROW waiting to be installed heading to Schenectady. A very mild winter helped quite a bit. Let us keep our fingers crossed, when all this is in service, as well as the work around Syracuse, West of Albany might be pretty decent.

Pvd, you are so correct. Time keeping will also improve because of the reduction in freight traffic on CSX. During the peak freight periods, late Amtrak trains just got frustratingly later.

A couple of times a year I would go to Syracuse for a hockey meeting, and since I was working on 35th street the train was a no brainer. To get through Albany, head West and get past Schenectady only to die near Syracuse used to kill me. On time, stalled freights blocked the track we needed to be on to switch to the station track at Syracuse. Finally after almost an hour they let us proceed past the station, and then did backup moves to platform us.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be of little surprise, the first day of 448 running through cars from Chicago (book able on the website) has been pushed back to now October 5th, 2016

It should be of little surprise, the first day of 448 running through cars from Chicago (book able on the website) has been pushed back to now October 5th, 2016
Shocked_442f3a_1084972.jpg

I have ticket booked for June 7 from BOS to CLE. They have me in Roomette 8 in the 4920 from BOS. So will I be hearing from Amtrak soon? or has the Boston sleeper been reinstated for early June? Inquiring Minds Want To Know :)

Bluntly, I think they don't really know when the ALB work will be finished, given the really random weather we've had. I figure they just pushed out the restoration date to October to avoid overpromising. Without inside information, I would assume that the through cars will return when they are really really totally done with the ALB construction work. No idea when that will be though.

I have ticket booked for June 7 from BOS to CLE. They have me in Roomette 8 in the 4920 from BOS. So will I be hearing from Amtrak soon? or has the Boston sleeper been reinstated for early June? Inquiring Minds Want To Know :)
I wouldn't get my hopes up Bill! Odds are good you'll get a Voucher or refund for the BOS-ALB leg of the trip!

This may have already been answered. Is the BOS section Amfleet-1s so more -2s could go to other LD trains ?

I did the transfer from CHI-ALB LSL 48 to LSL 448 ALB-BOS last week. LSL 48 entered the station southbound on the new track nearest the station. We did a cross platform transfer to LSL 448 which was facing southbound on the next track away( former closest track) from the station building. LSL 448 then crossed over the new track too reach the line(Post road) towards Boston. I was in one of two Amfleet 2 coaches to BOS.

Photos are of LSL 49 a week earlier headed to CHI. That was not a cross platform transfer.

edited for clarity

Thanks for those pictures. Do I see an engine on a pocket track on the Post Road side?

It amazing all this could have been avoided if the cdta would have done this from the begining

You forget the all the issues CDTA had with this project. The fight to get Amtrak to move into the station was just the tip of the issue.

The old station had to be torn down to fit the new platform and tracks. Amtrak was still using the building, when the federal funds to add the fourth track became available.

You may want to read up on the drama with Miami Central Station. That story will give you a idea how hard it's to work with multiple agency.

You mean Miami Airport Station, at least according to the public timetable. Miami Central is the new Brightline station going up near Government Center.

For a while, the facility at the airport was referred to as Miami Central, giving the city two locations with the same name. I haven't seen or heard the term in months now. Only in Florida would this situation obtain.

The Airport Station is often referred to as MIC (for Miami Intermodal Center) at the Airport.
And that's what it should be cuz that's exactly what it is! :excl: I saw a Greyhound pulling out of there earlier this week.

The big drawback to this facility is getting there, especially from terminal J [international]. It involves moving sidewalks that take forever, and when you finish with that, you're looking at a ride on the MIA Mover over to the rental car facility and the MIC. Quite inconvenient. :huh:

The Airport Station is often referred to as MIC (for Miami Intermodal Center) at the Airport.
And that's what it should be cuz that's exactly what it is! :excl: I saw a Greyhound pulling out of there earlier this week.

The big drawback to this facility is getting there, especially from terminal J [international]. It involves moving sidewalks that take forever, and when you finish with that, you're looking at a ride on the MIA Mover over to the rental car facility and the MIC. Quite inconvenient. :huh:
Out of all the commercial airports in the US, it is, what, perhaps in the top ten in terms of ease of access to both metro and regional rail systems? Perhaps in the top two of the hubs, along with O'Hare? So not perfect, for sure, but certainly a big step in the right direction for this country...

Ainam "Try getting to a train from LaGuardia and tell me how long _that_ takes you" Kartma

Umm, what does the Miami Airport station, formerly the Miami Central Station, have to do with the LSL Boston segment. Getting a little bit off-topic here while there is a Miami airport station thread to discuss such things. Just saying.

Photos are of LSL 49 a week earlier headed to CHI. That was not a cross platform transfer.
Thanks for posting those photos. Helpful to see there has been real progress at the Albany station during the long construction period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back