LSL boston sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan,

What service advisory would you be referring to? I couldn't find one on the timetable. There IS work going on at Albany Station, but I don't believe that the work precludes the Boston section from its normal run-thru pattern.
Read this thread from the beginning. I believe there are explanations in the beginning.

I've looked at that layout at Albany. I've never managed to find a diagram of the planned new switch layout (sigh). I would presume that the plan is to build a crossover so that Boston trains can go into at least two platform tracks and New York trains can go into all four.

I'm not sure exactly what work is preventing the attachment of the Boston and New York sections, but it could be anything. The switches and track on the south end are being completely rearranged to accomodate the fourth platform track. The switches and track on the north end are *also* being rearranged -- to accomodate the fourth platform track, to accomodate the lengthening of the platforms to the north, *and* IIRC to make sure there are two signalled mainline tracks all the way up to the bridge. (The wye is being signalled, too.) Anyway, any one of these changes could have made it Just Too Difficult to do the switching.

I've looked at that layout at Albany. I've never managed to find a diagram of the planned new switch layout (sigh). I would presume that the plan is to build a crossover so that Boston trains can go into at least two platform tracks and New York trains can go into all four.
To my knowledge that is exactly the plan; the two tracks closest to the station building will be able to access the line to Boston. All 4 tracks will be able to go south to NYP.

I'm not sure exactly what work is preventing the attachment of the Boston and New York sections, but it could be anything.
AFAIK it is not a matter of the work interfering with the combining of the two sections, but rather the work cuts off access to the line to Boston and therefore the Boston section cannot get into the station at all and therefore cannot be combined with the NY section. As they install the various switches and re-align the spur line to Boston it has to be taken out of service for the work.

My understanding is that the current track to Boston needs to have either 2 switches or a diamond crossover installed so that the new 4th track can go south to NYP. And then both of the tracks closest to the station have to be tied together further up so that they combine via another switch into the single track to Boston.

I didn't pay that much attention to the north end work description as that was largely yards and nothing of great value.

But in your diagram for the south side and the platform, add a track on the other side of the A platform up against the station. The current track that you have on the other side of the A platform will get a slip switch. That switch will allow a train from the station side of A plat to either cross over the other existing A track or simply land on that track. The new A track would have a switch most likely close to the platform that allows trains to switch over to the existing A track.

Then a bit further down (south), there will be another switch that will join the two A tracks together so that trains can proceed from either track out on the Post Road Branch to Boston.

The part that lost me was the crossovers connecting all four of the station tracks (that would require three of them) plus the double slip switch South of the platforms on the Post Road Branch as well as two double slip switches North of the platforms. Both platforms will also be extended to more than twice their present lengths. I'll be on the LSL toward the end of May so will give it a good look-see.

There is probably a better thread for this question but I can't find it...

NARP's news hotline 949-A this week says it's unclear when or if Amtrak will reinstate through-car sleeper service BOS-ALB. I did a test booking and April 1 shows sleeper availability that date. April Fool's? Has anyone heard if sleepers are in fact coming back to 448/449? Another "Silver Star" change in the works here?

It's my understanding that through Boston-Chicago sleepers (and coaches) will not return until the completion of the station work at Albany. If the station work is done by April 1, then the sleeper will return. If not, then expect the continuation of a coach-only connecting train.

NARP's news hotline 949-A this week says it's unclear when or if Amtrak will reinstate through-car sleeper service BOS-ALB. I did a test booking and April 1 shows sleeper availability that date. April Fool's? Has anyone heard if sleepers are in fact coming back to 448/449? Another "Silver Star" change in the works here?

The Lake Shore Limited Sleeper confusion thread has been the default thread that discusses the reinstatement of the through sleeper....which hasn't been reinstated.

It's my understanding that through Boston-Chicago sleepers (and coaches) will not return until the completion of the station work at Albany. If the station work is done by April 1, then the sleeper will return. If not, then expect the continuation of a coach-only connecting train.
I agree with this statement. The date has come and gone a few times. I'm sure the construction is an issue but it is convenient to run the train through.

Too convenient if you ask me. I anticipate the date being pushed back again...kind of like the suspended Gulf Coast service.

I agree with this statement. The date has come and gone a few times. I'm sure the construction is an issue but it is convenient to run the train through.

Too convenient if you ask me. I anticipate the date being pushed back again...kind of like the suspended Gulf Coast service.
I have a reservation booked on the LSL at the end of June from CHI to SPG in a Roomette. I'm hoping the construction will be finished before then.

What do you mean convenient to run the train through? Run the sleeper through from ALB?

I have a reservation booked on the LSL at the end of June from CHI to SPG in a Roomette. I'm hoping the construction will be finished before then.

What do you mean convenient to run the train through? Run the sleeper through from ALB?
Run the Boston sleeper & coach(es) through from NYP rather than have to connect them in ALB.

Perhaps someone with some solid knowledge of the "750 mile rule" can shed some light. If the current system became permanent, and it became 2 separate trains, rather than the "temporary" situation it is considered now, would what is presently a piece of a LD train now become a train that legally requires state support?

Yes, if anyone with standing (i.e. Congress or a state government) went after Amtrak, the Boston-Albany train would become a train which legally requires state support.

Amtrak, don't be stupid. Bring back the Boston sleeper. It's worthwhile to have three New York sleepers as well. New Viewliners are supposed to arrive soon, right?

Perhaps someone with some solid knowledge of the "750 mile rule" can shed some light. If the current system became permanent, and it became 2 separate trains, rather than the "temporary" situation it is considered now, would what is presently a piece of a LD train now become a train that legally requires state support?
If they decide to make the Sunset Limited NOL-SAS only and require a transfer to the Texas Eagle at SAS, the SL is only 573 miles as well.

Here's an improved version of the previous drawing:

attachicon.gif
ALBStnTrackagea.jpg

I tried unsuccessfully to find a drawing showing what it would look like after all the work was done. Nor could I figure it out following the words in the Statement Of Work: https://www.dot.ny.gov/recovery/repository/FRA_Agreement_FR-HSR-0086-11-01-00_Empire_Corridor_Capacity_Improvement.pdf
To make it simple for everyone, the interlocking is an "Incomplete Interlocking", which in english means you can't go from say 4 to 1 and 1 to 4. You can only go say 4 to 1. If the interlocking was a "Complete Interlocking" you can access the Port Road from the far side.

Hope this makes sense.

April's Fool indeed. The through sleeper date has been pushed back again.

Well, the platform extensions aren't done yet. Putting the platform surfaces in place is going to require construction crews to occupy at least one adjacent track, no question -- possibly two tracks at a time. That would disrupt any switching plans. We'll see when they get those done.

Permanently eliminating the Boston section and making it a permanent stub would likely trigger the "state funding" requirement which could be a disaster for that service.. I think the previous post above nails it.

I see that sleepers are back on the schedule from Boston to Chicago on May 19. Will the track work be finished by then?

Will continue to wait iuntil the work is completed. Its apparent that you guys don't remember how long it took the cdta to finish the original station. Opening it with out all 4 platforms has resulted in operational disasters from day 1 of the station completion. With the platform completed, the station can meet its full potential and flow more freely.

Let's hope one of the remaining bottle neck in capital region is fixed when the double tracking between resenalesr and Schenectady is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back